Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scanned Lottery Ticket.

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 4 years ago by haymaker.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: January 3, 2013, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

what if it were scanned but not cashed ?

would my version work then ?

nother ? 

what if someone in a pool tried this w/their copy ?

"what if someone in a pool tried this w/their copy ?"

It would get all wet and hard to read the numbers.

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
    Member #134627
    November 2, 2012
    1001 Posts
    Posted: January 3, 2013, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

:):):)

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3856 Posts
      Posted: January 3, 2013, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

"what if someone in a pool tried this w/their copy ?"

It would get all wet and hard to read the numbers.

LoL, you are crackin me up mountain man

at first, did'nt know what you were talkin about and then thought  WTH ?

then on 2nd read I get it,

LMAO

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
        Member #124493
        March 14, 2012
        7023 Posts
        Posted: January 3, 2013, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

Some clerks do not give that receipt, some keep winning ticket, some offer your your winning ticket back, some hand you your receipt almost forcefully. It's a mess. I remember when I was younger and naive, I actually asked clerk girl to check several of my tickets. She was checking and then something biped in a machine. I thought for a moment it means I won something, but she said there was no wins and threw the tickets in a trash. I am still wondering.

True, they throw it in the trash enthusiastically!

United States
          Member #124493
          March 14, 2012
          7023 Posts
          Posted: January 3, 2013, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

what if it were scanned but not cashed ?

would my version work then ?

nother ? 

what if someone in a pool tried this w/their copy ?

sorry maybe i am just confused

United States
            Member #134627
            November 2, 2012
            1001 Posts
            Posted: January 3, 2013, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

If it is possible to get, say, small wins using scanned ticket, then it makes sense to scan tickets in case they get lost.

United States
              Member #134627
              November 2, 2012
              1001 Posts
              Posted: January 4, 2013, 12:29 am - IP Logged

Ok, so they throw those tickets into trash enthusiastically, and if they truly do not care for them, and do not look at them through the loop and iron them straight, then, oh, dumpster divers, it's your turn to recheck the discarded  tickets! :)

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3475 Posts
                Posted: January 4, 2013, 2:28 am - IP Logged

I should then cash my ticket, with all the precaution, and use fake ticket to check another clerk's honesty. I love pranks. I think it would work as a prank.

You'll realy enjoy the pranks they play on you in prison.

Columbia, SC
                  United States
                  Member #135285
                  November 21, 2012
                  584 Posts
                  Posted: January 4, 2013, 7:56 am - IP Logged

I know the machine sounds off with winning tickets, but I wish the machines would sound off  with the losing tickets as well...a message like.."Sorry, This Ticket NOT a winner" when being scanned... Come to think of it... How do we really know they are even scanning the tickets?  Take for instance last night....I found a handfull of Powerball lottery tickets purchased over the past couple of months that I knew were not jackpot winners...I took them in the store and the first two sounded off as winning...The cashier says to me.."this one won 3 dollars....the second one sounded off..Again, he says .."this one won 3 dollars...With the other 4, there was no sound, but it appeared he was running them through the machine....I usually do ask for my tickets back, but this time I did not...I've seen this guy in the store before and he seems very trustworthy, but as I got into my car, I really had second thoughts about going in and asking for my tickets back, but he had a long line of customers and I had to be somewhere within minutes...As I was driving, it bothered me as I began to wonder about some of the ways some of these clerks could dishonestly cheat the system.....Even though it appeared he scanned the losing tickets, as he mentioned to me, sorry, this one didn't win, I began to wonder how can I really know for certain?  Do they have the ability to turn the sound to the machine off? What if he scanned it and it was a winner and sounded off, but with the sound not on, I wouldn't know? Oh goodness, I"m on a roll this morning....Rant

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

United States
                    Member #130815
                    July 25, 2012
                    1636 Posts
                    Posted: January 4, 2013, 8:03 am - IP Logged

I know the machine sounds off with winning tickets, but I wish the machines would sound off  with the losing tickets as well...a message like.."Sorry, This Ticket NOT a winner" when being scanned... Come to think of it... How do we really know they are even scanning the tickets?  Take for instance last night....I found a handfull of Powerball lottery tickets purchased over the past couple of months that I knew were not jackpot winners...I took them in the store and the first two sounded off as winning...The cashier says to me.."this one won 3 dollars....the second one sounded off..Again, he says .."this one won 3 dollars...With the other 4, there was no sound, but it appeared he was running them through the machine....I usually do ask for my tickets back, but this time I did not...I've seen this guy in the store before and he seems very trustworthy, but as I got into my car, I really had second thoughts about going in and asking for my tickets back, but he had a long line of customers and I had to be somewhere within minutes...As I was driving, it bothered me as I began to wonder about some of the ways some of these clerks could dishonestly cheat the system.....Even though it appeared he scanned the losing tickets, as he mentioned to me, sorry, this one didn't win, I began to wonder how can I really know for certain?  Do they have the ability to turn the sound to the machine off? What if he scanned it and it was a winner and sounded off, but with the sound not on, I wouldn't know? Oh goodness, I"m on a roll this morning....Rant

Here in Nc they have the scan screen facing the customer so you can see what you've won....if it's a decent amount....like say about $100 it plays "We're in the money" tune....but like I say if there is any doubt in the clerks honesty....ASK FOR YOU TICKETS BACK......and go somewheres else.......

Columbia, SC
                      United States
                      Member #135285
                      November 21, 2012
                      584 Posts
                      Posted: January 4, 2013, 8:07 am - IP Logged

Here in Nc they have the scan screen facing the customer so you can see what you've won....if it's a decent amount....like say about $100 it plays "We're in the money" tune....but like I say if there is any doubt in the clerks honesty....ASK FOR YOU TICKETS BACK......and go somewheres else.......

Ahh..I thought the lottery machines worked the same in every store! This is good to know..

And yeah, good advice about asking for the tickets back..This is something I usually do and can't understand why I did not last night...guess i'm just mad at myself....

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

United States
                        Member #130815
                        July 25, 2012
                        1636 Posts
                        Posted: January 4, 2013, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Ahh..I thought the lottery machines worked the same in every store! This is good to know..

And yeah, good advice about asking for the tickets back..This is something I usually do and can't understand why I did not last night...guess i'm just mad at myself....

Yeah Cincin I ALWAYS check my tickets myself.....if I hand it over and their payout don't match what I thought I had won....I ask for the ticket back.....Also here I never scratch off the serial number...cause they make you do it before you cash it in and they won't scratch it off themselves or at least ive been told by various clerks that they arent supposed to....so then they have to give the ticket back for me to do that also....thne if everthing matches up I cash it in.....but ive never had a problem myself and hope I never do...

United States
                          Member #134627
                          November 2, 2012
                          1001 Posts
                          Posted: January 4, 2013, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

People who works with money, cashiers, clerks, bankers, they know ways to make customer give up, agree, not bother, move on. They do it in cases when they cheat you. It is psychological way, they make you feel as a bother if you ask extra question or delay the line. They can act as if they did not hear you. They can throw in a couple of distractions. They act busy, they act as if what they are doing is so normal that there can be no arguments, it's common sense, or you'd start feeling stupid or greedy, or impolite. Break through it, train yourself by slowing down, asking what it is you want to ask, or check, stick strongly to your personal interest, totally forget that other people exist, give up an assumption that clerk's work is more important than your business. This way you'll never have doubts if you just let go of the winning ticket to a cute clerk. They work with lottery tickets, see people winning every day, and they get tempted. Knowing that people tend to have such weakness, should make you more proactively protective of your winning assets.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                            United States
                            Member #112968
                            June 29, 2011
                            3856 Posts
                            Posted: January 8, 2013, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

I think if I am not trusting clerks at lottery store, and I want to check my ticket and get small wins, I can color scan my lottery ticket and present it instead of real ticket? Imagine crroked clerk giving me part of my money, and keeping the scan! Ha-ha-ha! I'd laugh my guts out.

I had a $40 MM winner that I had already cashed, I copied it, ran both through the self-serve scanner,

the result was the same on both :cannot process see clerk.

I suspected the scanner was color-blind b/c I buy my tix. at different places, at one the paper is dark, at the other it looks sun faded,

like it was left sitting on the dashboard of your car.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.