Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you give a tip??

Topic closed. 82 replies. Last post 4 years ago by billionaire2bee.

Page 1 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: January 6, 2013, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

On our website for NC lottery is a story of a guy who had the clerk pick out a scratch off for him and he won $100,000! Now I was wondering if he came back and gave the clerk a tip....Would you if you won.....For a $100,000 I'd give about $100 tip but if I hit powerball or megamillions jackpot I might give about $5000.....

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
    Member #133462
    September 30, 2012
    5946 Posts
    Posted: January 6, 2013, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

BB:

You are on a relentless hunt for that "right" situation to justify tipping clerks - lol!

Newsflash: There is none.

It's in the clerk's interest to select one for the customer. Hopefully he/she was smart to select the most expensive one. At the end of the day it's good customer service and part of the job expectations.

I tip the bartender for lifting me out of the bar and into the taxi and using psychic vibrations to give directions to my house. Does that count?

Tipping is a discretionary act and usually done for service above and beyond. This clerk did what? Stretch his/her hand, pulled and and tore off a ticket from the roll. Do you see that as above and beyond?

"Everything works  ONCE!"

Set4life's avatar - 2554
      East Hampton, NY
      United States
      Member #41995
      June 25, 2006
      1137 Posts
      Posted: January 6, 2013, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

I cashed in half of my *927* hit last nite and took $5,000 and gave the girl who sold me the tickets $100.  With my *300* hit, I gave the girl one of the tickets worth $330.  They love me there now LOL.  They will even rush over to the machine as I enter the store, haha.ROFL

If I ever hit the MegaMillions, I would probably buy them a nice Cartier ring or something lol.

$Group Hug$

FOR THE WIN!

United States
        Member #130815
        July 25, 2012
        1636 Posts
        Posted: January 6, 2013, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

BB:

You are on a relentless hunt for that "right" situation to justify tipping clerks - lol!

Newsflash: There is none.

It's in the clerk's interest to select one for the customer. Hopefully he/she was smart to select the most expensive one. At the end of the day it's good customer service and part of the job expectations.

I tip the bartender for lifting me out of the bar and into the taxi and using psychic vibrations to give directions to my house. Does that count?

Tipping is a discretionary act and usually done for service above and beyond. This clerk did what? Stretch his/her hand, pulled and and tore off a ticket from the roll. Do you see that as above and beyond?

LOL service for above and beyond...Really they're just doing a job not pulling babies out of a burning building....but if you don't want to tip them then don't...I was just asking cause I read the story....heck that retired sherriff gave the clerk who sold him the winning powerball ticket a tip too...

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
          Member #133462
          September 30, 2012
          5946 Posts
          Posted: January 6, 2013, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

LOL service for above and beyond...Really they're just doing a job not pulling babies out of a burning building....but if you don't want to tip them then don't...I was just asking cause I read the story....heck that retired sherriff gave the clerk who sold him the winning powerball ticket a tip too...

Lol!

See that's where you go wrong. The clerk sold the Sherriff a ticket. The ticket matched all the numbers drawn and he won.

The clerk didn't sell a winning ticket or did anything to make it a winner which is what you seem to think warrants a reward.

If the clerk told him what numbers to play......then we could discuss reward.

Why not do a poll on LP with a variety of options where people may or may not tip the clerk? Make sure include options: Never tip and Always tip on winners. I would love to see the results of that.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            40471 Posts
            Posted: January 6, 2013, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

no

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

luckyshoes's avatar - butterfly neg.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #79502
              September 2, 2009
              6395 Posts
              Posted: January 6, 2013, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

No.

Surely the most important news of any day ...

is that the sun has risen one more time. Sun Smiley

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                Connecticut
                United States
                Member #61623
                May 29, 2008
                20581 Posts
                Posted: January 6, 2013, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

why would you tip the clerk for a prize like that anyhow???

...I think he gets a $1000 selling bonus anyway

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                  Florida
                  United States
                  Member #61435
                  May 22, 2008
                  908 Posts
                  Posted: January 6, 2013, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Yes.  If it's a clerk whom I like and I frequent the store often....

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                    Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    2747 Posts
                    Posted: January 6, 2013, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

No. This tipping thing is getting out of hand. Does every child deserve a trophy? Absolutely not.

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
                      New Hampshire
                      United States
                      Member #136492
                      December 12, 2012
                      322 Posts
                      Posted: January 6, 2013, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

Yes.  If it's a clerk whom I like and I frequent the store often....

I Agree!

Columbia, SC
                        United States
                        Member #135285
                        November 21, 2012
                        584 Posts
                        Posted: January 6, 2013, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

On our website for NC lottery is a story of a guy who had the clerk pick out a scratch off for him and he won $100,000! Now I was wondering if he came back and gave the clerk a tip....Would you if you won.....For a $100,000 I'd give about $100 tip but if I hit powerball or megamillions jackpot I might give about $5000.....

I most certainly WOULD gift the store clerk. I tell them if I win, I'd surprise them with a certificate for a Happy Meal from McDonalds.

Just Kidding! If the tickets were quick picks, I'd certainly tip the clerk. If I choose the numbers, I'm not so sure, but I probably still would...Hmmmmmmm...I guess it's according to how much I won in this case.... I think it would depend on the attitude and/or type of interactions I'd had with the clerk in the past.....If the clerk has been a jerk, the answer would be HAIL NO.

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

New York,
                          Panama
                          Member #73078
                          April 4, 2009
                          3490 Posts
                          Posted: January 6, 2013, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

I Would!! tip  $500.00,  Just & decent thing to do!!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                            upstate NY
                            United States
                            Member #108791
                            March 31, 2011
                            549 Posts
                            Posted: January 6, 2013, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

why would you tip the clerk for a prize like that anyhow???

...I think he gets a $1000 selling bonus anyway

The store gets a bonus.  Whether or not any of the money makes its way to the clerk in question is up to the store owner.  If the owner IS the clerk then there you go.

Patriot

United States
                              Member #130815
                              July 25, 2012
                              1636 Posts
                              Posted: January 6, 2013, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Lol!

See that's where you go wrong. The clerk sold the Sherriff a ticket. The ticket matched all the numbers drawn and he won.

The clerk didn't sell a winning ticket or did anything to make it a winner which is what you seem to think warrants a reward.

If the clerk told him what numbers to play......then we could discuss reward.

Why not do a poll on LP with a variety of options where people may or may not tip the clerk? Make sure include options: Never tip and Always tip on winners. I would love to see the results of that.

LOL that's what I said she SOLD him the ticket....I didn't say she was entitled to a tip....it was just a simple question would you or would you not give a tip....I assuming for you it would be no....but poll...no ......I hate polls.....I like to see the reason behind the answer given if someone is so inclined to give one...Also there is nothing in life that warrants a reward it's always on the giver whether or not one is given....people should do the right thing just because it the right thing to do not because a reward is involved....