Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Has a clerk ever forgotten to give you your lottery slip back?

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Stack47.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
Member #134627
November 2, 2012
1001 Posts
Posted: January 8, 2013, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

If clerks sniff air of success on you, then their behavior is a compliment. :) I had clerks do that. I just hope they do not keep the slip to check your numbers, if they win anything meaningful, and then they'll be prepared to fool you next time you come to get the money. Even  worst if they would have someone else at the store, pretending to be a customer, who'd try and steal your winning ticket before you even hand it to this clerk. So, don't give any strangers that chance to know if your numbers win. I usually buy tickets at one locations, but get wins at Publix. I trust atmosphere at Publix more, than, say, at gas station.

United States
    Member #128790
    June 2, 2012
    5431 Posts
    Posted: January 8, 2013, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

That is so funny. I read your post twice and laughed just as much the second time - lol!

Glad you enjoyed it. Laughter is the best medicine fo sho!

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
      upstate NY
      United States
      Member #108791
      March 31, 2011
      549 Posts
      Posted: January 8, 2013, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

It's happened before, but rarely.  I never have any problems with asking for my slips back, though.  The response is usually apologetic with a hint of absent-mindedness; that is, they simply forgot and there was no malicious intent involved.

Patriot

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31342 Posts
        Posted: January 8, 2013, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

My problem is the complete opposite. Since I hardly ever play the same numbers again, I don't want the slips, and always want to give them back to me.

Even though I've got it down to a science by leaving the store as quickly as i can before they realize I left the betslip on the counter so I don't have to say, "No thanks", some of them are quick on their feet and catch me just when I'm opening the door to leave. lol

In the beginning, when the clerk used to hand me the betslip with my tickets on top of them, I'd take the tickets off the counter making sure the clerk sees me ONLY taking the tickets, hoping that they would put 2 and 2 together, and realizing I don't want the slip, but it never fails, they truly believe I'm an idiot and somehow only picked up the tickets by accident, and left the slip on the counter. And that's why i tried the new way by taking the tickets when they are looking away, and high-taling it out the store as fast as I can. It works about half the time.

I don't want to be rude and not answer them, believe me, I thought about doing that, but that's not nice and I refuse to do it.

I put my slips in the store trash.

love to nibble those micey feet.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5114 Posts
          Posted: January 9, 2013, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

There is a 7-eleven close to my house I go to to buy lottery tickets. A clerk who works there keeps forgetting to give me back my lottery slip after running it through the machine. He lays the slip on the side counter away from my reach and I have to ask him to give it back. He has done this the last 3 times I've bought tickets from him.

I want to think it's an honest mistake but a skeptical part of me thinks he wants to play my numbers. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

WB

It happens >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>but Psyko has not BUSTED D "lottery">>YET!!!!

After 3 R 4  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>times????WHAT is UR?????????????concern???

GOOD>>>>LUCK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HOPE U>>>>HIT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^##$$$$$

DrumJack-in-the-BoxDrum

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: January 9, 2013, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

I'd never deal with a clerk again if TN had any alternatives - which it doesn't.

The Dragon Lady says self-serve lottery terminals are the work of the devil. Red Devil

Roanoke, VA
              United States
              Member #133540
              October 2, 2012
              8274 Posts
              Posted: January 10, 2013, 2:44 am - IP Logged

There is a 7-eleven close to my house I go to to buy lottery tickets. A clerk who works there keeps forgetting to give me back my lottery slip after running it through the machine. He lays the slip on the side counter away from my reach and I have to ask him to give it back. He has done this the last 3 times I've bought tickets from him.

I want to think it's an honest mistake but a skeptical part of me thinks he wants to play my numbers. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

I work at a convenience store and I can honestly say that I ALWAYS ask the customer if they want their slip back or trashed. Some regular customers I know they want trashed, so I trash them.

But I also take a peak at what all the regular pick 3 players are playing. There's no harm in checking to see which customer wins the most. I have only played one customer's number because it was so similar to what I was playing that day. His number hit and I got a win. I gave him 5 bucks ;)

Roanoke, VA
                United States
                Member #133540
                October 2, 2012
                8274 Posts
                Posted: January 10, 2013, 2:53 am - IP Logged

Oh and i should add that there is a 7 eleven near my house and I refuse to give them my business.

I played 5 slips all 50 cent any order and it printed out a $1 exact (the laser reader glitched)

And since I've been working in stores for 5 years, I know for a fact that it happens. The clerk refused to cancel the ticket and said "how can it be the machines fault, the machine cant make errors" - which really pissed me off so I put the ticket in his face and with a mad voice I said look at the <snip> ticket it obviously says 50 cent ANY, not $1 exact...

He still refused to cancel it. He said it was my fault that I did the slip wrong.

I went to the 7 eleven that I normally go to (the next block down) and asked for the area managers number.

She said they cant give it out on request but can take my name and number to give to him. I haven't heard anything back.

The clerk deserves to get terminated, no question about it.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

United States
                  Member #134627
                  November 2, 2012
                  1001 Posts
                  Posted: January 10, 2013, 6:32 am - IP Logged

After reading this thread, when I was buying the ticket I payed attention what is going on with my slip. The clerk lady was looking at it very carefully after she rang my ticket. I think they are required to check if numbers came up identical on a ticket. Sometimes customer himself marks more numbers than required, that way not all of them come up printed. May be, just may be, if mistake is noticed, regardless of the reason, and the clerk does not want to deal with reprinting the ticket, they then try to keep the slip. I think they have hard time selling that wrong ticket then. What are they suppose to do with wrongfully printed tickets?

Roanoke, VA
                    United States
                    Member #133540
                    October 2, 2012
                    8274 Posts
                    Posted: January 10, 2013, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

After reading this thread, when I was buying the ticket I payed attention what is going on with my slip. The clerk lady was looking at it very carefully after she rang my ticket. I think they are required to check if numbers came up identical on a ticket. Sometimes customer himself marks more numbers than required, that way not all of them come up printed. May be, just may be, if mistake is noticed, regardless of the reason, and the clerk does not want to deal with reprinting the ticket, they then try to keep the slip. I think they have hard time selling that wrong ticket then. What are they suppose to do with wrongfully printed tickets?

We are supposed to cancel any and all error tickets upon customer request. Sometimes they will buy the mistake as kind of like a "good luck mistake" ticket. We aren't required to look at anyone's playslip for any reason. If an error occurs, or if they select too many or too little numbers, the machine will tell us. (except misreads,that's the customer's job to notice and say something.) There are a few customers that don't like the clerks looking at the slips. I'm not sure if you can ask the clerk to not ever look at YOURS. I was at the 7 eleven I usually go to today and the lady took a pretty good look for some reason. She let it print out one, and as it was printing out the rest she held the one printed ticket and the playslip up and stared at it.

Even though I don't like it, I don't care if they play my numbers or not. I do workouts in a few states in here. So basically I'm doing what I want to do, help people win.

There could be another good reason.

If the clerk has a line or if they need to get things done, they may add up the total amount and ring it up before the lottery machine is done printing. I do this sometimes but I usually ask "do you know how much this will be?"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: January 10, 2013, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

I only play JP games and if I see a clerk eyeballin' my ticket too close I ask him what the problem is and they usually make up some lie about making sure everything is alright or something. Yeah, right.

It's bad enough dealing with incompetent clerks to get your ticket, I sure as hell don't wanna split a JP with 'em.

That's why I wish TN would get self-serve terminals.

But noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                        u$a
                        United States
                        Member #106665
                        February 22, 2011
                        19743 Posts
                        Posted: January 10, 2013, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Wow there sure is a lot of talk about play slips, i think i will go to the store fill out some play slips with random numbers and try to leave them there...

the thing is the people here will probably follow me to give them back to me.Laughing Smiley

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                          Member #134627
                          November 2, 2012
                          1001 Posts
                          Posted: January 11, 2013, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

Ok, since clerks are not required to look at our slips, and I mean to really look, studying the numbers, eating them up,  then the only resaon they do this, so disrespectfully, right in front of you,  is they want to memorise the combination, so  they'd check it at midnight and wait for you tomorrow, if it wins, all prepared to fool you in some way and take your money themsleves. Next time they do this, I'll say something, I will not just take  this assault.

Last time clerk  lady looked, stared at my slip like perania while I was getting money out of my wallet. She did it in a way so I'd not notice, but I did. It felt yacky, but I did not say anything. O, clerks, beware, I am coming and you better behave!

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7295 Posts
                            Posted: January 11, 2013, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

If you play lottery games long enough, anything can happen.

Had clerks hand me the slip with the tickets, ask if I wanted the slip black, didn't give me the slip back, and a couple threw the slip in the trash with the coffee grounds. The strangest was when the person standing behind me in line, asked if he could borrow my play slips.