Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NY Lotto adds only $300k now?!

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 4 years ago by POMAH.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #138296
January 24, 2013
28 Posts
Posted: January 24, 2013, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

NY Lotto had no jackpot winner, however, last time $500k was added, not $300k, and now +$600k!?
It is up to $14.2m, lump sum = $9.1m. Buy $5, get $2QP.
However, SM buy $5 get $3QP.

Thus, Lotto 1:45m / 14 = 3.2m
SM 1:3.8m / 8 = 480k; 480k x 9.1m = 4.37m

x1.36 isnt much considering SM's lower prizes are higher..

As for SM vs. Take5:

$1m / $50k(Take5 average) = 20; 20 x 575757 = 11.5m; 11.5m / 3.8m = 3
You are only x3 more likely to win $1m with SM than Take5; however, again, Take5's lower prizes are higher.
[if Take5 jackpot is $75k+ odds decrease to x2]

Thus, despite higher jackpots of Mega, PB, SM, Lotto, Take5's lower prizes are much higher.
And except SM, others share the jackpot among multiple winners.

So, I only play Numbers, Take5, SM, and Lotto if lump sum is $5.5m+ [$1 = 2 Lotto tickets, with a
$5.5m jackpot you only have x3 more odds vs. Take5, with far less lower prizes]

Take5 is still the best overall game to play. Scratch-off cards, are the worst.

Sweet Million: $1m - 1:3.8m - $1
vs.
50X the Money(scratcher): $3m - 1:3,893,400 [x3 prize, same odds, but it costs x10]

Thus, 3.8m / 10 = 383k
383k x 3 = 1.1m

Thus, you are x3.5 more likely to win $3m playing Sweet Million.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
    NY
    United States
    Member #121961
    January 21, 2012
    3157 Posts
    Posted: January 24, 2013, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

Seen 300k before. Don't think many are playing NYL & SM. I keep forgetting to buy tickets for them. If your gonna hit 6 numbers might as well do it on MM & PB.

Take 5 doesn't roll enough. Seen other states hit 600k. N.Carolina had bonus draws for extra chances.

Agree on scratchers unless your in the NYC/LI area. Only buy a few each week. Win alot more in other states. Did get a $75 win recent. That's the biggest in years.

Play nums and win4 once in a while. Worth going for smaller prizes.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
      upstate NY
      United States
      Member #108791
      March 31, 2011
      549 Posts
      Posted: January 24, 2013, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

Take 5 doesn't roll period.  If no one wins the jackpot, the money gets added to the second-place prize pool.

Lotto had been rolling at $300K for a while now.  I noticed it back in November when they started doing it.  I hadn't realized the last two rollovers were bigger; I wonder if the "buy $5/get $2 free" promotion this month has increased sales enough that they can afford to add more than $300K to the pot.  Also, for most of January the jackpot has been more than the Mega Millions minimum (even though MM itself has also been on a run all month), so that might be attracting players as well.  My money's on the promotion driving sales, though; personally, I've been buying more Lotto lines than usual because of it.

Sweet Million is a fustercluck.  Hardly anyone ever wins the million and the overall prize structure is a joke.  I agree with the guess that not too many people are playing it, but it must be making just enough money for the lottery to keep it going.  Otherwise, they probably would have scrapped it by now.

Patriot

United States
        Member #94616
        July 24, 2010
        4735 Posts
        Posted: January 25, 2013, 3:28 am - IP Logged

Take 5 doesn't roll period.  If no one wins the jackpot, the money gets added to the second-place prize pool.

Lotto had been rolling at $300K for a while now.  I noticed it back in November when they started doing it.  I hadn't realized the last two rollovers were bigger; I wonder if the "buy $5/get $2 free" promotion this month has increased sales enough that they can afford to add more than $300K to the pot.  Also, for most of January the jackpot has been more than the Mega Millions minimum (even though MM itself has also been on a run all month), so that might be attracting players as well.  My money's on the promotion driving sales, though; personally, I've been buying more Lotto lines than usual because of it.

Sweet Million is a fustercluck.  Hardly anyone ever wins the million and the overall prize structure is a joke.  I agree with the guess that not too many people are playing it, but it must be making just enough money for the lottery to keep it going.  Otherwise, they probably would have scrapped it by now.

Good point on both games.  I have mentioned before that I ONLY play Sweet Millions when they run the 3 free promo or when I hit on another game.  I do play lotto for $2 each game as to me that is not much to spend to have 4 games, I have upped it to $5 per game to get the bonus games.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
          NY State
          United States
          Member #92609
          June 10, 2010
          3706 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2013, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

Until last nite, I'd have whole-heartly agreed with you on SM.

But something very unusual happened last nite. There were two winners of the JP last nite, both player picks sold on the same street in Suffern at two stores that are very close together, which has made me re-think  my attitude towards SM.

My guess is it's the same person that bought those two separate JP winning lines.  I'd love to know if the winner purposely did it, or was it just a very lucky accident.  If it wasnt a lucky accident, than somebody in Suffern is a very astute SM player.

People dont like SM because as you very accurately pointed out, it doesnt produce many JP winners and the lower tier prizes stink. But hold on a minute.  Unlike most other games, SM is NOT pari-mutuel for the first 5 JP winners.  If there happened to be more than 5 JP winners, then it  becomes pari-mutuel.  If I played the same line twice on my ticket (which I've done a few times) and it wins the JP, then I just won two million dollars.  I think that's something that many members of the lottery playing public have not realized. SM's odds of winning one million dollars (3.8 milllion to 1) are the lowest you'll find anywhere. (excluding raffles that have been very recently conducted by some states)  Combine SM's low odds with the fact that it isnt pari-mutuel for the first five JP winners, and you've got something that I doubt you can find anywhere else in the USA. 

Granted, playing the same line twice on one ticket up's the cost per line to 2 bucks. But if there's a promotion on like there is now, then the cost per line isnt that bad at all.  (Personally, 2 bucks a line doesnt bother me. PowerBall is 3 bucks per line if you add the PowerPlay option. The odds off winning two million dollars in PB is 5 million to one, and you must buy the PowerPlay to win 2 million. I should probably point out that I play PB to win second place) 

So after last nite, and now that I see SM in a different light, I may start playing it a bit more than I have been.  Your thoughts?

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
            Member #138296
            January 24, 2013
            28 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2013, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

"So after last nite, and now that I see SM in a different light, I may start playing it a bit more"

It's only $5 to get free $3 QPs; not Take5's $10 get $3QP, or MM's $10 get $2QPs.

Lotto is buy $5 get $2 QPs, with a jackpot of $14.2m(lump sum $9.2m), worth it to play Lotto not SM.

SM is x4 MM's 2nd prize; now w/MP it's $2 for $1m, I dont see point of it as SM's $500 1:18815 and $40 1:456 is better than MM's and PB's lower prizes.

As for PB's $2m for $3 - forget it! $3 of SM gives better odds.

NY State
              United States
              Member #92609
              June 10, 2010
              3706 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2013, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

"So after last nite, and now that I see SM in a different light, I may start playing it a bit more"

It's only $5 to get free $3 QPs; not Take5's $10 get $3QP, or MM's $10 get $2QPs.

Lotto is buy $5 get $2 QPs, with a jackpot of $14.2m(lump sum $9.2m), worth it to play Lotto not SM.

SM is x4 MM's 2nd prize; now w/MP it's $2 for $1m, I dont see point of it as SM's $500 1:18815 and $40 1:456 is better than MM's and PB's lower prizes.

As for PB's $2m for $3 - forget it! $3 of SM gives better odds.

I cant and wouldnt argue with anything you wrote. 

My main point about SM is that it offers relatively low odds to win a million bucks, coupled with the opportunity to grow that 1 million to 2, 3, 4 or even 5 million due to the fact the first 5 JP winners arent pari-mutuel.  I think that's a subtlety about the game most players miss. I dont think players can find another game anywhere in the USA like it.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                upstate NY
                United States
                Member #108791
                March 31, 2011
                549 Posts
                Posted: January 25, 2013, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

Until last nite, I'd have whole-heartly agreed with you on SM.

But something very unusual happened last nite. There were two winners of the JP last nite, both player picks sold on the same street in Suffern at two stores that are very close together, which has made me re-think  my attitude towards SM.

My guess is it's the same person that bought those two separate JP winning lines.  I'd love to know if the winner purposely did it, or was it just a very lucky accident.  If it wasnt a lucky accident, than somebody in Suffern is a very astute SM player.

People dont like SM because as you very accurately pointed out, it doesnt produce many JP winners and the lower tier prizes stink. But hold on a minute.  Unlike most other games, SM is NOT pari-mutuel for the first 5 JP winners.  If there happened to be more than 5 JP winners, then it  becomes pari-mutuel.  If I played the same line twice on my ticket (which I've done a few times) and it wins the JP, then I just won two million dollars.  I think that's something that many members of the lottery playing public have not realized. SM's odds of winning one million dollars (3.8 milllion to 1) are the lowest you'll find anywhere. (excluding raffles that have been very recently conducted by some states)  Combine SM's low odds with the fact that it isnt pari-mutuel for the first five JP winners, and you've got something that I doubt you can find anywhere else in the USA. 

Granted, playing the same line twice on one ticket up's the cost per line to 2 bucks. But if there's a promotion on like there is now, then the cost per line isnt that bad at all.  (Personally, 2 bucks a line doesnt bother me. PowerBall is 3 bucks per line if you add the PowerPlay option. The odds off winning two million dollars in PB is 5 million to one, and you must buy the PowerPlay to win 2 million. I should probably point out that I play PB to win second place) 

So after last nite, and now that I see SM in a different light, I may start playing it a bit more than I have been.  Your thoughts?

"So after last nite, and now that I see SM in a different light, I may start playing it a bit more than I have been.  Your thoughts?"

Well, clearly I wrote my post before they published the winners last night.  Wink

That's an interesting development.  Is it the first time they've had more than one winner?

Regardless, it doesn't really change my opinion of the game.  Despite my gripes, I still play two lines per drawing (one self-pick, one QP), and during SM promotion months I usually buy more to trigger the free lines.  I'll consider your idea of playing two lines of the same numbers; if you win even the bottom $3 prize, the double payoff makes it worth the investment.

Patriot

NY State
                  United States
                  Member #92609
                  June 10, 2010
                  3706 Posts
                  Posted: January 25, 2013, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

"So after last nite, and now that I see SM in a different light, I may start playing it a bit more than I have been.  Your thoughts?"

Well, clearly I wrote my post before they published the winners last night.  Wink

That's an interesting development.  Is it the first time they've had more than one winner?

Regardless, it doesn't really change my opinion of the game.  Despite my gripes, I still play two lines per drawing (one self-pick, one QP), and during SM promotion months I usually buy more to trigger the free lines.  I'll consider your idea of playing two lines of the same numbers; if you win even the bottom $3 prize, the double payoff makes it worth the investment.

This is the second time in the history of the game they've had two JP winners in the same draw.

I dont see myself expanding how much money I spend by a huge amount, but I do think I'll continue on buying the same line twice on 1 ticket.  I hadnt done that very often before.  If I spent 3 bucks, I played 3 lines.  I do think I'll play SM more often. I was typically buying SM only during promo months, but I'll probably play once a week now.

NY Lottery admitted in the past a "coverage" problem with SM.  They dont sell enough tix to cover enough 6 digit combo's to produce a JP winner very often.

NY State
                    United States
                    Member #92609
                    June 10, 2010
                    3706 Posts
                    Posted: January 26, 2013, 6:21 am - IP Logged

Ya know, I hadn't even given an ounce thought to the doubling up of the lower tier prizes when playing the same line twice on one ticket! 

Just goes to show how greedy I am!  I was droolin' over that two mil! Green laugh

Not that I thnk it's gonna happen anytime soon, but winning a thousand bucks for having five numbers sure sounds better than $500.

United States
                      Member #94616
                      July 24, 2010
                      4735 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2013, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Yea even though the lower games don't pay much for $2 I get 4 games, can't beat that as it covers all my normal numbers.

United States
                        Member #138296
                        January 24, 2013
                        28 Posts
                        Posted: January 27, 2013, 10:49 am - IP Logged

No jackpot NY Lotto winner.

Somehow $700k was added!  Sure means alot play it, about 1.5m.  After MM was won, and it's now $12m, 1/4 odds, +2 free QPs, I am not surprised. 

Will $1m be added next time, and then more?  If so, Lotto could go above $18.5m record in last 5 years.  IFcourse, in Feb who knows what the offer will be, perhaps $10 of PB and MM get $2QPs.

United States
                          Member #94616
                          July 24, 2010
                          4735 Posts
                          Posted: January 27, 2013, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

No jackpot NY Lotto winner.

Somehow $700k was added!  Sure means alot play it, about 1.5m.  After MM was won, and it's now $12m, 1/4 odds, +2 free QPs, I am not surprised. 

Will $1m be added next time, and then more?  If so, Lotto could go above $18.5m record in last 5 years.  IFcourse, in Feb who knows what the offer will be, perhaps $10 of PB and MM get $2QPs.

I thought for SURE someone would hit THOSE numbers as they ALL were lower than 31.. 

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
                            Member #93164
                            June 23, 2010
                            1325 Posts
                            Posted: January 28, 2013, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

I think people are more interested in Mega Millions and Powerball.

United States
                              Member #138296
                              January 24, 2013
                              28 Posts
                              Posted: January 29, 2013, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

I think people are more interested in Mega Millions and Powerball.

NYorkers should play Lotto as MM has been won and jackpot is lower than Lotto's.

Ifcourse, MM's 2nd prize is $250k vs. $30k for same odds... boo.

However, if you want $1m play SM instead.

I reckon Feb will be buy Take5 $10 get $3QPs; if it's buy PB $10 get $2 QPs, and jackpot wed is not won, we'll see $200m for sure.