Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It now appears certain that Megamillions will go 6 months...

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Prob988.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
New Jersey
United States
Member #21206
September 4, 2005
949 Posts
Posted: January 30, 2013, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

...without producing a single jackpot over $100M annuity.

Megamillion sales are down, probably mostly because people are foolishly forking over money for Powerball, even though it's half the value of Megamillions when one accounts for the expectation value.

(The last giant Powerball jackpot showed pretty much that it is impossible for Powerball to produce a jackpot with an expectation value greater than one, something that Megamillions has done many times.)

It's predictable.   The lottery assumes that most people are fools, and it's a pretty good bet.

United States
    Member #106134
    February 13, 2011
    806 Posts
    Posted: February 4, 2013, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

Mega millions is too easy to win, that's what it is.

United States
      Member #124493
      March 14, 2012
      7023 Posts
      Posted: February 4, 2013, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!LOLGoof

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6290 Posts
        Posted: February 5, 2013, 9:05 am - IP Logged

Green laugh

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: February 5, 2013, 9:09 am - IP Logged

Green laugh

I'm sure people who spend $10. and win think, "What was so hard about that?" lol.

Morrison, IL
            United States
            Member #4657
            May 13, 2004
            1884 Posts
            Posted: February 6, 2013, 7:55 am - IP Logged

Once again, Mega Millions was hit last night, and the jackpot was only $19 million.

---

United States
              Member #106134
              February 13, 2011
              806 Posts
              Posted: February 6, 2013, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

And the winners in Michigan are laughing all the way to the bank & thinking "That was just too darn easy!"

mightwin's avatar - questns

United States
                Member #103786
                January 5, 2011
                486 Posts
                Posted: February 15, 2013, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Look at all those powerball wins in december.........I was gettin pissed lol

Japan
                  Member #131605
                  August 14, 2012
                  372 Posts
                  Posted: February 15, 2013, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

Look at all those powerball wins in december.........I was gettin pissed lol

Yes Nod

'cept in if it was you you'd be laughin to the bank there....

Either way it was strange seeing the Powerball break it's record an then have it won at the 50Million level for that long Troll

San Diego, CA
                    United States
                    Member #58386
                    February 12, 2008
                    287 Posts
                    Posted: February 20, 2013, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

Another winner last night @19 million.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #82391
                      November 12, 2009
                      6290 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2013, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

I will be the first Mega jackpot winner from Oklahoma no matter the size of the jackpot Wink

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                        Marquette, MI
                        United States
                        Member #20541
                        August 20, 2005
                        705 Posts
                        Posted: February 25, 2013, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Megamillion sales are down, probably mostly because people are foolishly forking over money for Powerball, even though it's half the value of Megamillions when one accounts for the expectation value.

(The last giant Powerball jackpot showed pretty much that it is impossible for Powerball to produce a jackpot with an expectation value greater than one, something that Megamillions has done many times.)

It's predictable.   The lottery assumes that most people are fools, and it's a pretty good bet.

Well, look at how much money you are saving while not playing!  Set it aside and play it when the jackpot gets up there.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19817 Posts
                          Posted: February 25, 2013, 10:54 am - IP Logged

Now that PB is getting in that $100M territory, MM players who don't like paying $2 per line will give in and start playing PB until MM jackpot gets a little bigger.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
                            New Hampshire
                            United States
                            Member #136492
                            December 12, 2012
                            322 Posts
                            Posted: February 25, 2013, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

I'd be willing to bet your typical big game jackpot player either doesn't know or care about expectation value. More people are forking over money for powerball because the prizes are bigger and the overall odds are better, simple as that.

I would personally spend $10 for 5 PB lines before I would spend $10 for 10 MM lines any day. I think MM is gonna have to consider some sort of matrix change and or megaplier revamp soon if it wants to remain competitive with PB, especially with players that have a little more disposable income to spend on lottery.

If I was to redesign the game I would bump the cost up to $2 while in turn removing a few megaballs, getting rid of megaplier and offering a guaranteed prize multiplier for an extra buck (not this pick a number from 2-4 and then hope that multiplier ball gets drawn), and add a new prize tier where you can win $3 or $4 simply for matching 2 white balls. Raising the minimum jackpot closer to something resembling the PB minimum would also go a long way to boosting ticket sales.

Many of the 5+1 games are already charging $2 per basic play now anyways. MM could justify an increase of their own much as PB did by making the game more exciting and easier to win some sort of prize. 

New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #21206
                              September 4, 2005
                              949 Posts
                              Posted: March 2, 2013, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

I'd be willing to bet your typical big game jackpot player either doesn't know or care about expectation value. More people are forking over money for powerball because the prizes are bigger and the overall odds are better, simple as that.

I would personally spend $10 for 5 PB lines before I would spend $10 for 10 MM lines any day. I think MM is gonna have to consider some sort of matrix change and or megaplier revamp soon if it wants to remain competitive with PB, especially with players that have a little more disposable income to spend on lottery.

If I was to redesign the game I would bump the cost up to $2 while in turn removing a few megaballs, getting rid of megaplier and offering a guaranteed prize multiplier for an extra buck (not this pick a number from 2-4 and then hope that multiplier ball gets drawn), and add a new prize tier where you can win $3 or $4 simply for matching 2 white balls. Raising the minimum jackpot closer to something resembling the PB minimum would also go a long way to boosting ticket sales.

Many of the 5+1 games are already charging $2 per basic play now anyways. MM could justify an increase of their own much as PB did by making the game more exciting and easier to win some sort of prize. 

Your first sentences in each of your first two paragraphs confirm the last sentence my my original post.

Thanks for that.

Your second sentence is pretty much nonsense.   Expectation values are a truer measure of the relative value of bets, than absolute odds.

In fact, not only is the current MM a better buy, but the actual nearly astronomical odds for both games are relatively close.