Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

It now appears certain that Megamillions will go 6 months...

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Prob988.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: March 2, 2013, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

I will be the first Mega jackpot winner from Oklahoma no matter the size of the jackpot Wink

I hope you are, dallas. Thumbs Up

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
    Oklahoma
    United States
    Member #82391
    November 12, 2009
    6290 Posts
    Posted: March 3, 2013, 9:38 am - IP Logged

I hope you are the first from Tennessee ridgeThumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Oklahoma
      United States
      Member #82391
      November 12, 2009
      6290 Posts
      Posted: March 3, 2013, 9:42 am - IP Logged

I wonder since Florida is joining Mega will they increase the starting jackpot? Don't get me wrong I would take $12 million in a heartbeat lol.....but to make the game more competitive to Powerball $40 million starting jackpot.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: March 3, 2013, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

I highly doubt Mega Millions will up its ticket prices or its minimum jackpot, because the point of the MUSL making changes to Powerball was to give players a new LEVEL to play, since almost all of the states have both jackpot games.

---

Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #82391
          November 12, 2009
          6290 Posts
          Posted: March 4, 2013, 10:42 am - IP Logged

I highly doubt Mega Millions will up its ticket prices or its minimum jackpot, because the point of the MUSL making changes to Powerball was to give players a new LEVEL to play, since almost all of the states have both jackpot games.

I don't want Mega to up the ticket prices just the starting jackpot amount since Florida is joining.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
            Member #93164
            June 23, 2010
            1325 Posts
            Posted: March 4, 2013, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

I would suggest that Mega Millions should start with at $15 million dollars as their base because I want them to follow Powerball's footsteps in the cash option jackpot. For example, Powerball's cash option jackpot is currently about 63% of their starting jackpot. When Mega Millions starts with a $12 million dollars jackpot on February 22nd, 2013, their cash option at $8.8 million is currently about 73% of the announced jackpot.

Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              6290 Posts
              Posted: March 4, 2013, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

I would suggest that Mega Millions should start with at $15 million dollars as their base because I want them to follow Powerball's footsteps in the cash option jackpot. For example, Powerball's cash option jackpot is currently about 63% of their starting jackpot. When Mega Millions starts with a $12 million dollars jackpot on February 22nd, 2013, their cash option at $8.8 million is currently about 73% of the announced jackpot.

$15 million would be a nice star Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                Upacreek
                United States
                Member #136306
                December 8, 2012
                428 Posts
                Posted: March 4, 2013, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Agree... three draws just to break the 20 MM mark lately- too long...Sleepy

-RC

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                  Member #32537
                  February 12, 2006
                  698 Posts
                  Posted: March 5, 2013, 4:12 am - IP Logged

i rather liked how powerball turned out

going by must recent draws

7th draw powerball was at "63,500,000" cash "jan 19th"

7th draw for MM ="41,000,000" cash "jan 11th"

cant compare the Annuity ,there so diff

but  2 buck price point has proven it self .............

and mega millions can quickly catch up and go beyond sometimes

if it ever gets higher, come 200/300m range

as it sure set record back in late 2011 /early 2012 run that set the world record has proven in recent times

, but my god has it fallen on bad luck lately"not for winners who won it thro i know! good for them and all that"

i wont mind it staying the same as it is at 1 buck price point

but i rather liked how powerball turned out with 2 bucks   and if mm ever moved 2 bucks price, i keep buying, just like i did with powerball,and all other powerball players did.

, and bigger starting/rollover amount at begining stages would be Nice for mm, 

thro its fine at 1 buck price point....

besides with  PB/MM soon to be sold in ever state lottery in a few months, i think  its time we give MM  a make over like PB Got

cross selling resulted in MM record, and PB makeover resulted in there record PB run,

am sure state lottories being talking about MM and maybe  future changes, i just don't know if they act on them anytime soon

if its 1 thing about lottories i know, they like to be slow

to be sure "overkill so" about changes to duck laying the golden eggs must not be harmed.

thro i think whatever that new national 3rd game they got planned will come out  first and see how it effects things before MM gets any real changes...

i sure think the plan was MM at 1 buck, 2 bucks for PB and 5 for that new game they sure making"onless things changed"

but i must say 2 bucks for MM would not be bad, if they did it right  like PB changes 

btw i do agree with whole MM better value, same big jackpots  for 1 buck vs 2 fpr pb

overall I want MM to stay as value for your money On muti million jackpots,

i just like how PB grows faster now a days, is all.

No bees, no honey.

Morrison, IL
                    United States
                    Member #4657
                    May 13, 2004
                    1884 Posts
                    Posted: March 6, 2013, 7:48 am - IP Logged

For Mega Millions' jackpots to be comparable to Powerball's, and considering Mega's different annuity structure and ticket price, its jackpots should start at $16 million and increase by at least $4 million every draw there is no winner.

---

New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #21206
                      September 4, 2005
                      949 Posts
                      Posted: March 13, 2013, 10:40 am - IP Logged

We're on a roll.

It's sort of unbelievable, especially when one looks at the sales statistics.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                        u$a
                        United States
                        Member #106665
                        February 22, 2011
                        19865 Posts
                        Posted: March 13, 2013, 11:09 am - IP Logged

We're on a roll.

It's sort of unbelievable, especially when one looks at the sales statistics.

LOL

Let it Snow Snowman

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10353 Posts
                          Posted: March 13, 2013, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

Prob988,

"...Megamillion sales are down, probably mostly because people are foolishly forking over money for Powerball,Megamillion sales are down, probably mostly because people are foolishly forking over money for Powerball,..."

And yet when Powerball announced it was going to $2 a whole lot of people swore they'd stick with Mega Millions only.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19830 Posts
                            Posted: March 13, 2013, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

Prob988,

"...Megamillion sales are down, probably mostly because people are foolishly forking over money for Powerball,Megamillion sales are down, probably mostly because people are foolishly forking over money for Powerball,..."

And yet when Powerball announced it was going to $2 a whole lot of people swore they'd stick with Mega Millions only.

If no one wins tonight, I expect a ticket buying frenzy to start for Saturday's drawing.  I'm planning to buy 5-10 tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #21206
                              September 4, 2005
                              949 Posts
                              Posted: March 16, 2013, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Prob988,

True enough.

If one plays by expectation value - and I very much doubt that many people do - Powerball can be a better bet.    But, of course, the Powerball annuity jackpot needs to be more than twice as large (annuity) for that to happen.

(Recall that the expectation value is the likely prize - adjusted for the probability of there being more than one winner - divided by the odds times the cost of the ticket.)

What Powerball can almost never do - unless it goes to a billion dollars annuity, an event that has a small but significant probability, it will never have an expectation value equal to or exceeding 1.0.

Megamillions has exceeded 1.0 several times.   Megamillions is also having a string of very bad luck - exacerbated by the fact that the lower the sales, the more chances their are for the jackpot to be won on a particular run.

The game is struggling, and will do so until a very large jackpot is observed:   However a conflicting factor will be jackpot burnout, of the type that has been observable for many years.    A decade or so ago, long lines might have formed for a jackpot of $100M; whereas now such jackpots produce yawns.