Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can you win and collect with multiple tickets but same numbers?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Nikkicute.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #138603
February 1, 2013
35 Posts
Posted: February 1, 2013, 6:13 am - IP Logged

Hello All,

I'm new here (Although have been lurking for awhile) so my question is, say you bought a QP but forgot to play with powerplay and you decide to play the same numbers but now with powerplay. Assuming you're lucky enough for your numbers to hit, can you claim the prize per ticket or the lottery has a prize per person rule when playing the same numbers? If you do win the jackpot with two tickets but with the same numers, the lottery will assume that there are two winners until you show up to claim. What does happen in a case like that? Will they just give out half the prize and invalidate the other ticket?

Thanks

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
    ORLANDO, FLORIDA
    United States
    Member #4924
    June 3, 2004
    5971 Posts
    Posted: February 1, 2013, 6:36 am - IP Logged

Hello All,

I'm new here (Although have been lurking for awhile) so my question is, say you bought a QP but forgot to play with powerplay and you decide to play the same numbers but now with powerplay. Assuming you're lucky enough for your numbers to hit, can you claim the prize per ticket or the lottery has a prize per person rule when playing the same numbers? If you do win the jackpot with two tickets but with the same numers, the lottery will assume that there are two winners until you show up to claim. What does happen in a case like that? Will they just give out half the prize and invalidate the other ticket?

Thanks

Will they just give out half the prize and invalidate the other ticket?

If you have both tickets, they are yours and they are both valid. I have done this, by accident forgot to mark power play.

Columbia, SC
      United States
      Member #135285
      November 21, 2012
      584 Posts
      Posted: February 1, 2013, 8:15 am - IP Logged

The way I understand it to be is, Yes you can win with multiple tickets; however, I'm understanding it to be if two tickets (or 3 etc) win a jackpot game, the money is split amongst those tickets..(so in reality, you'd be winning the same thing). With other wins, for instance, non jackpot wins, (the ones I am familiar with) have a cap on how much can be won so the multiple ticket winnings could be paid out to the cap max. The game I play has a cap max of 1 million, so if I purchased two tickets with the same numbers  , I could win as much as a million, but not one penny more....

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

United States
        Member #138603
        February 1, 2013
        35 Posts
        Posted: February 1, 2013, 8:37 am - IP Logged

@ Carbob

yeah, that sounds promising. I just wanted to make sure they donthave silly rules where they prevent players from wining multiple prizes with the same numbers in order to avoid large amount of payouts.

United States
          Member #138603
          February 1, 2013
          35 Posts
          Posted: February 1, 2013, 8:42 am - IP Logged

That's where the confusion for me as well. if I have two tickets with power play and are the same numbers but end up matching all five would I be able to collect the 4 mil or not. Where do they draw the line? Does the rules apply for JP as well.Yea not much info is available. Thanks for answering as well.

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: February 1, 2013, 8:53 am - IP Logged

That's where the confusion for me as well. if I have two tickets with power play and are the same numbers but end up matching all five would I be able to collect the 4 mil or not. Where do they draw the line? Does the rules apply for JP as well.Yea not much info is available. Thanks for answering as well.

All the info is readily available concerning the rules of lottery games. Most of them are on the back of the play slip you have in your hand BEFORE you spend any cash. Complete rules are on-line or at the lottery office.

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: February 1, 2013, 8:59 am - IP Logged

The PB jackpot is a pari mutuel payout. Im not sure about the 5+0 payout, it may depend on how many winning tix are sold, but they certainly wouldn't penalize you for have multiple tix. A guy in Phoenix had 6, 5+0 tix and got his $6 million.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                42070 Posts
                Posted: February 1, 2013, 9:04 am - IP Logged

All the info is readily available concerning the rules of lottery games. Most of them are on the back of the play slip you have in your hand BEFORE you spend any cash. Complete rules are on-line or at the lottery office.

I Agree!

HyperBe Happy.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  42070 Posts
                  Posted: February 1, 2013, 9:05 am - IP Logged

The PB jackpot is a pari mutuel payout. Im not sure about the 5+0 payout, it may depend on how many winning tix are sold, but they certainly wouldn't penalize you for have multiple tix. A guy in Phoenix had 6, 5+0 tix and got his $6 million.

cool

HyperBe Happy.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3316 Posts
                    Posted: February 1, 2013, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

ea ticket is a separate entry. you paid  extra , for that extra entry. say  you bought 2 tickets, and both had 3 numbers,  well one had 3, and the other had 2 +pb

would you expect them to pay both prizes? why yes of course.it matters not to them, that there is 1 person making 2 claims, they see it as 2 separate claims.

jas as thouhgh 2 differnet people bought the tickets.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                      Jacksonville Florida
                      United States
                      Member #23018
                      October 6, 2005
                      932 Posts
                      Posted: February 1, 2013, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

You can have as many tickets with the same numbers as you like. In most states each winning ticket is treated as a separate transaction. There was someone here in Florida that had a large number of Play 4 tickets on the same day with the same numbers that won and each ticket required a separate claim form. He had to come back to the regional office a second day to complete all the forms (one form per winning ticket)...

JAP69's avatar - alas
                        South Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #6
                        November 4, 2001
                        8797 Posts
                        Posted: February 2, 2013, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Hello All,

Thanks

If you had a duplicate ticket for powerball and there were three tickets with the winning numbers and your two tickets had the winning numbers you would receive 2/3 rds of the prize.

The other ticket holder sure would grumble and moan.

BRRRRUUUUUHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Oo'Ka

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7344 Posts
                          Posted: February 4, 2013, 12:20 am - IP Logged

If you had a duplicate ticket for powerball and there were three tickets with the winning numbers and your two tickets had the winning numbers you would receive 2/3 rds of the prize.

The other ticket holder sure would grumble and moan.

BRRRRUUUUUHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Years ago in Ohio there were three winning jackpot lotto tickets sold in one drawing and two of the tickets were validated. The third passed the expiration date and went unclaimed so the two players sued the lottery to get the rest of the jackpot. I can't find the outcome, but it would be interesting to see how the court ruled.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                            u$a
                            United States
                            Member #106665
                            February 22, 2011
                            19964 Posts
                            Posted: February 4, 2013, 2:42 am - IP Logged

The way I understand it to be is, Yes you can win with multiple tickets; however, I'm understanding it to be if two tickets (or 3 etc) win a jackpot game, the money is split amongst those tickets..(so in reality, you'd be winning the same thing). With other wins, for instance, non jackpot wins, (the ones I am familiar with) have a cap on how much can be won so the multiple ticket winnings could be paid out to the cap max. The game I play has a cap max of 1 million, so if I purchased two tickets with the same numbers  , I could win as much as a million, but not one penny more....

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                              u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19964 Posts
                              Posted: February 4, 2013, 2:43 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman