Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What are your thoughts on the TLC show "The Lottery Changed my Life"?

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 4 years ago by ttech10.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2013, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just curious what people think of the TLC show "The Lottery Changed my life"? I was watching a marathon of their shows over the weekend.  Whenever I watch this show I always get excited about the chance of winning someday after watching these shows. It makes me hang onto hope that some people who have been playing for years could end up winning a jackpot.  I tend to be a bit more upbeat after seeing and hearing the wonderful stories of jackpot winners. I tend to forget about the fact that the winners of jackpots are a tiny percentage in comparision to all the millions of people who lose on a daily basis. Watching this show keeps my dream alive.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
    Nutley, New Jersey
    United States
    Member #131058
    August 1, 2012
    875 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2013, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

if you get the chance, you should watch the 2010 documentary, "Lucky." I think it gives a balanced view showing the benefits and pitfalls of winning the lottery.

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2013, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just curious what people think of the TLC show "The Lottery Changed my life"? I was watching a marathon of their shows over the weekend.  Whenever I watch this show I always get excited about the chance of winning someday after watching these shows. It makes me hang onto hope that some people who have been playing for years could end up winning a jackpot.  I tend to be a bit more upbeat after seeing and hearing the wonderful stories of jackpot winners. I tend to forget about the fact that the winners of jackpots are a tiny percentage in comparision to all the millions of people who lose on a daily basis. Watching this show keeps my dream alive.

Im with you there...Ive said before it's my favorite show and everytime I watch it it makes me believe a little more that i can win and I cant wait for it to finally be me...

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2013, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

I'm neutral about it. I'll bet though that the day after the marathon there is an uptick in lottery sales countrywide. MA lottery had earth-shattering sales revenues of $4,700,000,000 and nearly $1,000,000,000 in profits in 2011. Not bad for selling hope, wouldn't you agree? o_O

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
          Member #121745
          January 16, 2012
          4788 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2013, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

I try to watch an hour or so of it.  I was amazed at this one lottery winner who showed a bag of letters asking for money and he said he actually met with one guy who asked for 18 Million dollars?  Why is he even meeting with these people?

J'aime La France.

United States
            Member #130815
            July 25, 2012
            1636 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2013, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

I try to watch an hour or so of it.  I was amazed at this one lottery winner who showed a bag of letters asking for money and he said he actually met with one guy who asked for 18 Million dollars?  Why is he even meeting with these people?

Yeah felipe pina...I think he just wanted to help some at first and when he realized that they were just trying to get money for crazy stuff...he decided to just give out scholarships and help people in his community out with school

mightwin's avatar - questns

United States
              Member #103786
              January 5, 2011
              486 Posts
              Posted: February 19, 2013, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

I would never appear on the show, seems like the people telling their stories are doing it to "relive" their win in a sense.

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                United States
                Member #130213
                July 9, 2012
                387 Posts
                Posted: February 19, 2013, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

I was curious to see few minorities winning the big jackpots. I remember that african-american youth from Florida who got murdered for his $$$$. Besides that I don't remember seeing anyone else of color. I read about the Latino who got cheated from his scratch-off winnings by Pak/Indo retailers. I'm just wondering if those quick-picks are not so random after all.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3854 Posts
                  Posted: February 19, 2013, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Yeah felipe pina...I think he just wanted to help some at first and when he realized that they were just trying to get money for crazy stuff...he decided to just give out scholarships and help people in his community out with school

If I remember right, thats the guy who someone burned down his auto repair shop,

and now his mother, brothers, etc. won't even talk to him, even though he did share some w/ them.

In new mexico I think.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                    Member #121745
                    January 16, 2012
                    4788 Posts
                    Posted: February 19, 2013, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

I was curious to see few minorities winning the big jackpots. I remember that african-american youth from Florida who got murdered for his $$$$. Besides that I don't remember seeing anyone else of color. I read about the Latino who got cheated from his scratch-off winnings by Pak/Indo retailers. I'm just wondering if those quick-picks are not so random after all.

There is that Cynthia (?) woman who thinks she is a hollywood producer. The show had her debating on a huge diamond purchase. I thought the money went to her head. I see a lot of minorities win the 2nd place PB and MM prizes as well.

J'aime La France.

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
                      Whiskey Island
                      United States
                      Member #90216
                      April 24, 2010
                      12736 Posts
                      Posted: February 19, 2013, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

These people who do this type of Shows is Exposing themselves to many people who may want to Harm , Con or Even Murder and etc.  them and their faimily .

Friends and Family turn on you when you have Excessive amounts of money !!! They believe and think you owe them apart of the Winnings !!!

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4788 Posts
                        Posted: February 19, 2013, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

If anyone tracks me down after a jackpot win, I will slap them and say "NO NO NO, not in my house!" (just like the guy in the Geico commerical).

J'aime La France.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                          Oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #82391
                          November 12, 2009
                          6290 Posts
                          Posted: February 19, 2013, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

There have been several minorities who have won lottery jackpots. They may not appear on the show but they are winning jackpot.

Mrs. Louise White http://www.lotterypost.com/news/243362

Kathy Scruggs http://www.lotterypost.com/news/237456

Solomn Jackson http://www.lotterypost.com/news/199388

I Love Pink & Green 1908

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                            Joplin MO
                            United States
                            Member #138489
                            January 28, 2013
                            190 Posts
                            Posted: February 19, 2013, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

if you get the chance, you should watch the 2010 documentary, "Lucky." I think it gives a balanced view showing the benefits and pitfalls of winning the lottery.

Hmm.  I need to find that.

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                              Columbus, Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #128906
                              June 5, 2012
                              591 Posts
                              Posted: February 19, 2013, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

I started playing because of that show... it's been a close to a yr of consistent playing and winning smaller amounts, nothing big but my time is coming.  I truly believe it.