Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are you more comfortable playing the lotto as an individual or joining a pool?

Topic closed. 58 replies. Last post 4 years ago by catmeds.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4108 Posts
Posted: February 20, 2013, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

Is the bottom line simply  " winning"  no matter the situation?
I prefer going solo, less hassles. None of this " l bought the winning ticket separate from the group- fiasco"..

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
    Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #37433
    April 14, 2006
    2747 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2013, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

I'm in a pool that plays PB. Myself and some 2 people at work have decided each will contribute $2 a week. So we will be playing one line each game, same numbers and with powerplay each time. I will buy the tickets and someone else will hold the ticket. This is good so that I'm able to focus on MM by myself even when I am trying PB.

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: February 20, 2013, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

I prefer going solo, less hassles. None of this " l bought the winning ticket separate from the group- fiasco"..

I have been in a pool.....but I prefer to play by myself....ain't got to split the goods then....LOL

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40511 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2013, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

all by my lonesome

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
          Member #128373
          May 22, 2012
          201 Posts
          Posted: February 20, 2013, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

Technically, I do it alone while my other family members do their thing alone.  But I have to hope that my ticket is the winner because I will get to decide what to do with the money, which would be an even split between me and my other immediate adult family members.  If someone in the family wins, they will get to decide what to do with the money, which would undoubtedly be an uneven split.

The lottery is NOT a tax on the poor.  By calling it a tax, you are calling it mandatory, which is what taxes are.  But the lottery is NOT mandatory, therefore calling it a tax highly inaccurate.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: February 20, 2013, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

I've been in pools and ran pools and unless you have an exceptionally responsible group of people, they can be more headaches than they're worth.

And around here, even if you hand pick the people you want to invite to join, they're going to have some toothless yayhoo cousin or neighbor who wants in.

And naturally, the yayhoo is gonna expect you to cover him if he's "a little short" this week.

Don't need it.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10351 Posts
              Posted: February 21, 2013, 1:55 am - IP Logged

Solo.

As you said you might encounter the "Separate from the group" fiasco but there's also "I used to be in the group and I want my share" fiasco, too.

This has been discussed here a few times and as a few people said you might wind up waiting years to collect your winnings.

Also, I could see some people in a group blowing their money and then trying to get some of yours.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Columbia, SC
                United States
                Member #135285
                November 21, 2012
                584 Posts
                Posted: February 21, 2013, 7:34 am - IP Logged

Sometimes I pool with a group of women I work with, but only when the jackpot is really, really high. Honestly though, rdgnr is right. It's a big headache..Since i put the pool together, I make copies of every ticket for each lady and made up contracts for them to sign....From the experiences I've had, I win as much on my own as I do with the ladies ; however, despite the work involved, I do have to say i enjoy the excitement of us as a group during high jackpot lottery frenzies

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                  Columbus, Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #128906
                  June 5, 2012
                  591 Posts
                  Posted: February 21, 2013, 8:05 am - IP Logged

Myself, I did a pool once and it wasn't easy... a true pain in the beep

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
                    New Hampshire
                    United States
                    Member #136492
                    December 12, 2012
                    322 Posts
                    Posted: February 21, 2013, 9:03 am - IP Logged

Good question. Overall I prefer going at it solo, but also enjoy the group excitement that the large PB and MM jackpots bring. When the JP in those games climb above $200 million we have an informal group of 8 of us at work that throw in $5 each for a bunch of quick picks. I always pick my own numbers in the games I play regularly, so it's a nice change not having to take the time selecting a bunch of numbers to play.

Being the resident lottery "guru" at the workplace I'm usually the once in charge of the tickets which is also nice as I think there are some good common sense practices that need to be followed to minimize any possible controversy should we win anything substantial.

First off I think if you're the ticket holder for the group you shouldn't be buying your own tickets for the same game. Even if the group agrees as to where and how many tickets are to be purchased there will be suspicion and controversy if you were to win big on your own. As I don't normally play the 2 big games for me it's not an issue.

Secondly I always keep the group to the same 8 individuals and insist on pay to play. If someone doesn't have the money I'm not kicking in for them as the one controlling the tickets. If somebody else wants to kick in a $5 for another member that is fine.

Lastly even though the group says they trust me I always give them a photocopy of our numbers. That way there's no chance for integrity to be questioned.

janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
                      California
                      United States
                      Member #69399
                      January 9, 2009
                      380 Posts
                      Posted: February 21, 2013, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

I was in a pool for a couple of years where I use to work. It was fun and it was always the same 5 people. Whenever someone asked Eugene (who ran our pool) if they could join, he would say no because any more than 5 was too much trouble. I think if you're going to run a pool that is the way to do it. Stay with the same group of people. It's when you add people or let different people play that you run into problems if your group is lucky enough to win.

It was always in the stars for me to be a lottery winner.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10351 Posts
                        Posted: February 22, 2013, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

There's a thread right now in News about the Indiana lottery and what can happen in a pool.

Hair stylists spar over $9.5M Hoosier Lotto jackpot

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — There is a developing "prize fight" over a $9.5 million Hoosier Lotto jackpot.

An Indianapolis, Indiana, hair stylist says she won it all, but her co-workers say they pooled their money to buy the winning ticket, and they should split it.  Now that jackpot is frozen until further notice.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Tatototman65's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                          Member #138729
                          February 4, 2013
                          2872 Posts
                          Posted: February 22, 2013, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

You couldn't pay me to join a club. I don't need the hassle nor do I want the hassle.

Smile

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                            Gurnee, Illinois
                            United States
                            Member #49731
                            February 12, 2007
                            917 Posts
                            Posted: February 22, 2013, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

I sacrifice and go on work stints outside of the country just so I can play every single Powerball and Mega Millions drawing ALL BY MYSELF. When I win, I won't have to contend with any headaches associated with super excited lottery pool members.  Besides, I just watched "Lottery Ticket" with Bow Wow last week and want to enjoy my lottery jackpot winning...with a pool, you will always have someone who wants to come forward with the group riding in a limo right away.  I will never understand that or tax refund anticipation loans (why the person went an entire year giving Uncle Sam that interest free loan and they cannot wait an additional week or two for the refund?).  I even saw a lottery pool that only won $10,000 and they showed up at the lottery headquarters in a limo when the after tax split would net each less than $1,000.  Would I be happy winning that? Yes, but I would not show up in a limo!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                              Gurnee, Illinois
                              United States
                              Member #49731
                              February 12, 2007
                              917 Posts
                              Posted: February 22, 2013, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

Good question. Overall I prefer going at it solo, but also enjoy the group excitement that the large PB and MM jackpots bring. When the JP in those games climb above $200 million we have an informal group of 8 of us at work that throw in $5 each for a bunch of quick picks. I always pick my own numbers in the games I play regularly, so it's a nice change not having to take the time selecting a bunch of numbers to play.

Being the resident lottery "guru" at the workplace I'm usually the once in charge of the tickets which is also nice as I think there are some good common sense practices that need to be followed to minimize any possible controversy should we win anything substantial.

First off I think if you're the ticket holder for the group you shouldn't be buying your own tickets for the same game. Even if the group agrees as to where and how many tickets are to be purchased there will be suspicion and controversy if you were to win big on your own. As I don't normally play the 2 big games for me it's not an issue.

Secondly I always keep the group to the same 8 individuals and insist on pay to play. If someone doesn't have the money I'm not kicking in for them as the one controlling the tickets. If somebody else wants to kick in a $5 for another member that is fine.

Lastly even though the group says they trust me I always give them a photocopy of our numbers. That way there's no chance for integrity to be questioned.

Why get excited over a large jackpot amount?  The odds of winning don't change whether the jackpot is the reset amount or a record amount, so I just cannot understand why people get all giddy and excited when the advertised jackpot is humongous!  I just make sure I have a play in for every drawing and then I check the next day to see if anyone won and if so, where.  My heartbeat remains the same when buying the ticket as well as when checking the numbers and I want to say my heartbeat would remain calm the day I realize I have the winning ticket.  Cool, calm, and collected I will be as I collect those millions in cash!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!