Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are you more comfortable playing the lotto as an individual or joining a pool?

Topic closed. 58 replies. Last post 4 years ago by catmeds.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
Joplin MO
United States
Member #138489
January 28, 2013
190 Posts
Posted: February 22, 2013, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

There is no way that I would play in a pool!

As others have already mentioned, there is just far too much opportunity for problems!

But ... I can understand that if you could hand pick enough of the right people that think alike about strategies, how to handle a win, etc., etc., it would surely be more likely to lead to a win.

Still ... no for me!

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
    Joplin MO
    United States
    Member #138489
    January 28, 2013
    190 Posts
    Posted: February 22, 2013, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

Why get excited over a large jackpot amount?  The odds of winning don't change whether the jackpot is the reset amount or a record amount, so I just cannot understand why people get all giddy and excited when the advertised jackpot is humongous!  I just make sure I have a play in for every drawing and then I check the next day to see if anyone won and if so, where.  My heartbeat remains the same when buying the ticket as well as when checking the numbers and I want to say my heartbeat would remain calm the day I realize I have the winning ticket.  Cool, calm, and collected I will be as I collect those millions in cash!

I agree.  For a long time, I've said to people like that, "If it's worth spending a couple of bucks to win a hundred million or more, why isn't it worth spending a couple of bucks to win a million?"  ...or in the case of PB, twenty million (I think).

I want to say my heartbeat would remain calm the day I realize I have the winning ticket.  Cool, calm, and collected I will be as I collect those millions in cash!

I bet your heartbeat would speed up at least a little bit ... HeeHee!

mightwin's avatar - questns

United States
      Member #103786
      January 5, 2011
      486 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2013, 10:07 am - IP Logged

Why get excited over a large jackpot amount?  The odds of winning don't change whether the jackpot is the reset amount or a record amount, so I just cannot understand why people get all giddy and excited when the advertised jackpot is humongous!  I just make sure I have a play in for every drawing and then I check the next day to see if anyone won and if so, where.  My heartbeat remains the same when buying the ticket as well as when checking the numbers and I want to say my heartbeat would remain calm the day I realize I have the winning ticket.  Cool, calm, and collected I will be as I collect those millions in cash!

Why get excited over a large jackpot amount? Really?! You can do way more with $150 million than say $5 million.

Columbia, SC
        United States
        Member #135285
        November 21, 2012
        584 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2013, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

Why get excited over a large jackpot amount? Really?! You can do way more with $150 million than say $5 million.

One negative about joining a pool is not feeling mentally easy about purchasing any tickets on your own. The news story about the hair dressers is a reference. When I have a pool, I make sure all the ladies have copies of the tickets purchased beforehand.  Our xerox normally copies about 4 tickets per page and I have them sign each page before making copies. They often ask me if I'm going to purchase any tickets on my own outside the pool. When in the pool, I normally choose quick picks because I don't want to feel bad if I personally select numbers that end up as losers, although i have personally chosen lines (very few) in the past. I have gone out and purchased a couple of personally selected numbers outside the pool on very few instances because there are (few) times when I think of some number combinations before the draw, but this isn't something I like to do because I've had thoughts that if I do win on my own, I'd still feel like I'd need to split the money even though they were done on my own . Even though the proof would show they were my own tickets, I still feel like I'd need to split the money, but that's just me...

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

JAP69's avatar - alas
          South Carolina
          United States
          Member #6
          November 4, 2001
          8790 Posts
          Posted: February 23, 2013, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

Buy my own when I do play jackpot games which is infrequent.

Saves on Rant from others that may be in the pool Argue

WHATT

Mamma28z's avatar - phone
            Lower MI
            United States
            Member #94546
            July 22, 2010
            247 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2013, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

I like playing in a pool - more chances to win =)..

I am known as the ' lotto lady '. I work in a factory and have played in the pool for about 3 years now. Me and another guy are the longest players. I have had up to 30 players before. We are down to 6 or 7 now.  I collect on Mon and Tues and make a copy of all the tickets purchased with our names on it on one sheet of paper to hand out to each player. 

I don't hear a peep out of anyone ever.

We win $5 or $10 a week and I buy more tickets with that for the next week.

One player is our DD and he will drive us to Lansing along with my lawyer =)..

We will Win - 

Even if I buy tickets myself if that ticket isn't on the paper then the group didn't win. 

And the person saying if we win and someone spends all there money and wants some of yours ?  What ?

And if they don't pay they don't play- its really simple. I do cover them from time to time but if they don't pay before the draw their name is off the paper.

Common sense here about the whole thing.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
              u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19743 Posts
              Posted: February 23, 2013, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

i think Todd should start a Lottery pool.Naughty

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2013, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

I would play in a pool as long as there was a written agreement that ticket copies and names of paid participants are distributed pre-draw.

u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19743 Posts
                  Posted: February 23, 2013, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

I would play in a pool as long as there was a written agreement that ticket copies and names of paid participants are distributed pre-draw.

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2013, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

Right, anyone who doesn't have money in before a certain deadline is excluded..... no exceptions.

As per the signed agreement.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19817 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2013, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

It makes no difference to me, I'm as comfortable playing lotto in a pool with I, me and myself as I am playing alone. Wink

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10345 Posts
                        Posted: February 23, 2013, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

Right, anyone who doesn't have money in before a certain deadline is excluded..... no exceptions.

As per the signed agreement.

Not so sure even that is fool proof, Ronnie.

There have been cases where a former pool member dropped ut of the pool, the pool hit a jackpot, the former member demanded a share, and the payoff got delayed or frozen, and some even got a share if I remember right.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: February 23, 2013, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Not so sure even that is fool proof, Ronnie.

There have been cases where a former pool member dropped ut of the pool, the pool hit a jackpot, the former member demanded a share, and the payoff got delayed or frozen, and some even got a share if I remember right.

I'm sure that's true, But anything in writing is BETTER than nothing. Perhaps a sign-in sheet would be helpful, so that each time money is collected the people putting in are signing as participants in the draws paid for and are given a copy. No copy, no play. No tickey, no pickey.

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: February 23, 2013, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

It makes no difference to me, I'm as comfortable playing lotto in a pool with I, me and myself as I am playing alone. Wink

I Agree!Green laugh I'm in the exact same type of pool.

u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19743 Posts
                              Posted: February 23, 2013, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!Green laugh I'm in the exact same type of pool.

I Agree! we meet 3 x week & every 3rd thursday

Let it Snow Snowman