Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:12 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Someone just won 4 million on a scratch ticket from a gas station so close to me

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 4 years ago by shyguitar.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: February 22, 2013, 10:36 am - IP Logged

Hi again,

Okay so I checked my lottery website and found out that someone just won 4 million dollars on a newer scratch off ticket. Okay thrilled for this person but then I find that the ticket was bought at a gas station less than a mile from where I live and on top of that it's a place I always go to buy my lottery tickets from. The most I've ever won there was 20 dollars on a scratch off. It's not the only place I go but it's one of the most frequented places I've bought tickets from. My luck continues on the downhill, lol. It's so weird because just the other day I kept telling myself to stay thinking positive even when all the bad luck continues my way. Was hoping the good thoughts might make a difference, guess they went to the guy who won instead, lol. Within the last 6 months my town has had 2 big scratch ticket winners, so does this mean it doesn't make sense to play scratch off's in my town anymore since the likelihood of someone winning another big one would be unlikely? Just wondered your thoughts.

mightwin's avatar - questns

United States
    Member #103786
    January 5, 2011
    486 Posts
    Posted: February 22, 2013, 10:53 am - IP Logged

Does your state allow them to collect anonymously? Ya never know it could be your neighbor. There was a top winner on one of the raffles at a store in town and I thought to myself why didn't I go there? But you have to keep playing and keep positive. You can't win if you don't play.

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: February 22, 2013, 11:08 am - IP Logged

Does your state allow them to collect anonymously? Ya never know it could be your neighbor. There was a top winner on one of the raffles at a store in town and I thought to myself why didn't I go there? But you have to keep playing and keep positive. You can't win if you don't play.

Hi mightwin,

No in my state we cannot be anonymous. I saw a picture of the guy he lives in the western part of my state not in my town.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: February 22, 2013, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Hi again,

Okay so I checked my lottery website and found out that someone just won 4 million dollars on a newer scratch off ticket. Okay thrilled for this person but then I find that the ticket was bought at a gas station less than a mile from where I live and on top of that it's a place I always go to buy my lottery tickets from. The most I've ever won there was 20 dollars on a scratch off. It's not the only place I go but it's one of the most frequented places I've bought tickets from. My luck continues on the downhill, lol. It's so weird because just the other day I kept telling myself to stay thinking positive even when all the bad luck continues my way. Was hoping the good thoughts might make a difference, guess they went to the guy who won instead, lol. Within the last 6 months my town has had 2 big scratch ticket winners, so does this mean it doesn't make sense to play scratch off's in my town anymore since the likelihood of someone winning another big one would be unlikely? Just wondered your thoughts.

Hey shy,

You have to remember that the games are designed to have very few winners and extremely few big winners. Because you seldom win does not signify bad luck. It signifies that when playing the lottery, you have the same luck as the overwhelming majority of us - not so good.

And I wouldn't avoid that place that sold the big winner either. Who knows, maybe that's just the first of many winners there that'll make that place known as one of those "lucky places" to buy tickets. I would be sure to buy a PB and an MM ticket there just in case. Ya never know.

United States
          Member #122468
          February 1, 2012
          530 Posts
          Posted: February 22, 2013, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

Hey shy,

You have to remember that the games are designed to have very few winners and extremely few big winners. Because you seldom win does not signify bad luck. It signifies that when playing the lottery, you have the same luck as the overwhelming majority of us - not so good.

And I wouldn't avoid that place that sold the big winner either. Who knows, maybe that's just the first of many winners there that'll make that place known as one of those "lucky places" to buy tickets. I would be sure to buy a PB and an MM ticket there just in case. Ya never know.

Hi rdgnr,

What you say is true about the lottery having  very few big winners.  In the last 5 months or so I've been playing less but still keeping myself in the game. This is the same gas station that I do usually buy my MM or PB tickets from and will continue to buy those there. Last year someone won 10,000 dollars at this same gas station. When that happened I just stopped playing that particular scratch ticket from there.  My feeling is that the lottery would want to spread out the winning tickets to other places in the state, therefore I feel it's highly unlikely that another big winner would come from there on a scratch off. On the other hand will never say never just doubtful.  I also know that with scratchoffs being at the right place and time is nearly impossible. I could have bought the ticket before or after that winner as well since there is no way of knowing.  Let's just hope that we can all have a chance someday of winning.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: February 22, 2013, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

Hi rdgnr,

What you say is true about the lottery having  very few big winners.  In the last 5 months or so I've been playing less but still keeping myself in the game. This is the same gas station that I do usually buy my MM or PB tickets from and will continue to buy those there. Last year someone won 10,000 dollars at this same gas station. When that happened I just stopped playing that particular scratch ticket from there.  My feeling is that the lottery would want to spread out the winning tickets to other places in the state, therefore I feel it's highly unlikely that another big winner would come from there on a scratch off. On the other hand will never say never just doubtful.  I also know that with scratchoffs being at the right place and time is nearly impossible. I could have bought the ticket before or after that winner as well since there is no way of knowing.  Let's just hope that we can all have a chance someday of winning.

I'm guessing you're right about it being unlikely to get another big winner on a scratcher there but there's still the other games.

Good luck!

United States
              Member #122468
              February 1, 2012
              530 Posts
              Posted: February 22, 2013, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

I'm guessing you're right about it being unlikely to get another big winner on a scratcher there but there's still the other games.

Good luck!

Hi rdgrnr,

Thanks for your good luck wishes. The same to you.

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
                Norfolk , Va
                United States
                Member #4541
                May 2, 2004
                25173 Posts
                Posted: February 22, 2013, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

Check you pockets , it may have been you that has the winner .

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  42114 Posts
                  Posted: February 22, 2013, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

Don't give up Shy, you'll get a good win

HyperBe Happy.

United States
                    Member #122468
                    February 1, 2012
                    530 Posts
                    Posted: February 22, 2013, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

Don't give up Shy, you'll get a good win

Hi sully16,

Thanks for your kind comment. I wish for you the same.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                      Ringleader
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #81740
                      October 28, 2009
                      42114 Posts
                      Posted: February 22, 2013, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

Hi sully16,

Thanks for your kind comment. I wish for you the same.

Here's to us winning Cheers

HyperBe Happy.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                        Oklahoma
                        United States
                        Member #82391
                        November 12, 2009
                        6305 Posts
                        Posted: February 22, 2013, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

Have faith & stay positive shy, your time will come.....Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                          Member #122468
                          February 1, 2012
                          530 Posts
                          Posted: February 22, 2013, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

Have faith & stay positive shy, your time will come.....Thumbs Up

Hi dallascowbyfan,

Thanks for your comment about having faith and staying positive.  This morning when I looked on my state's website and saw a picture of the winner of that scratch ticket just was very happy for that person.  I had first assumed he won it in the same town he was from but that wasn't the case. His town is almost a few hours away from here.  When I read the whole blurp about him winning and saw that the win happened at the gas station up from my street that's when I thought I was going to have a heart attack, lol.  I remember about a year ago saying when is the big scratch ticket going to hit in my town and so far within 6 months 2 big scratch tickets have now been won. Unfortunately both times I've been in the wrong place and time of those big wins. It's still exciting to hear about winners and have to hang onto the hope of someday winning. Might just have to change my strategy now and play out outside of my town.

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #130213
                            July 9, 2012
                            387 Posts
                            Posted: February 22, 2013, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Reminds me of the luck 2 ladies had playing scratch offs in Pennsauken, NJ. They bought 8 $5 Poker games and while scratching them a guy comes with $5 and takes the next and wins the jackpot.

I guess the guy was so happy he won, he forgot about the 2 ladies who made his win possible.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                              Massachusetts
                              United States
                              Member #37433
                              April 14, 2006
                              2747 Posts
                              Posted: February 22, 2013, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

I gave up on scratch offs. The instataneous message of "not a winner, try again" is too unnerving. At least with the numbers you wait until tonight or if you sleep early, then the following morning. Good luck