Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 7:51 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Someone just won 4 million on a scratch ticket from a gas station so close to me

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 4 years ago by shyguitar.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Columbia, SC
United States
Member #135285
November 21, 2012
584 Posts
Posted: February 22, 2013, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

Hi again,

Okay so I checked my lottery website and found out that someone just won 4 million dollars on a newer scratch off ticket. Okay thrilled for this person but then I find that the ticket was bought at a gas station less than a mile from where I live and on top of that it's a place I always go to buy my lottery tickets from. The most I've ever won there was 20 dollars on a scratch off. It's not the only place I go but it's one of the most frequented places I've bought tickets from. My luck continues on the downhill, lol. It's so weird because just the other day I kept telling myself to stay thinking positive even when all the bad luck continues my way. Was hoping the good thoughts might make a difference, guess they went to the guy who won instead, lol. Within the last 6 months my town has had 2 big scratch ticket winners, so does this mean it doesn't make sense to play scratch off's in my town anymore since the likelihood of someone winning another big one would be unlikely? Just wondered your thoughts.

Don't go by the concept that since your town has had a couple of big winners that the liklihood is slim that there would be more...I've heard of a couple of stores that continue to have big winners...For instance, there is a store in Florence, SC that is known for having big winners. People actually drive from out of state just to go to this one store to purchase lottery tickets...I'm sure there are others like that.

You really need to keep a postive attitude. I'm a firm believer in trying to stay away from a negative outlook. Like rdgnr mentioned, . the majority of us are in your shoes. Try to find humor in the negative situations (unless they are really serious, of course)....I try to keep the "well there's always next time" attitude when playing the lottery...Good Luck to you!

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: February 22, 2013, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Hi again,

Okay so I checked my lottery website and found out that someone just won 4 million dollars on a newer scratch off ticket. Okay thrilled for this person but then I find that the ticket was bought at a gas station less than a mile from where I live and on top of that it's a place I always go to buy my lottery tickets from. The most I've ever won there was 20 dollars on a scratch off. It's not the only place I go but it's one of the most frequented places I've bought tickets from. My luck continues on the downhill, lol. It's so weird because just the other day I kept telling myself to stay thinking positive even when all the bad luck continues my way. Was hoping the good thoughts might make a difference, guess they went to the guy who won instead, lol. Within the last 6 months my town has had 2 big scratch ticket winners, so does this mean it doesn't make sense to play scratch off's in my town anymore since the likelihood of someone winning another big one would be unlikely? Just wondered your thoughts.

Hey shy you in NC?? Cause someone here was won the first  $4 million dollar prize in that new bullion dollars scratcher....hey you know what that tells me....it can be anyone or anywhere....let's keep our fingers crossed and hope the next big winners are us...

1977's avatar - flower2
      st. pete
      United States
      Member #6680
      September 3, 2004
      1227 Posts
      Posted: February 22, 2013, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

Hi again,

A 711 store A BLOCK AWAY FROM MY HOME   had three  big winners in a FOUR month span...250,000  on a $5.00 ----10,000 on a $20---- 50,000 on a $2 scratch off.   So I wouldnot give up...JUST Think Postive when u ask for your ticket!!!!!!!

Eugene Oregan
        United States
        Member #128629
        May 29, 2012
        419 Posts
        Posted: February 22, 2013, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

Winning tickets dont care who buys them, you could buy a million dollar winner at a store.  And then on the way to the lottery office stop at the same store and win fifty thousand more.  One couple just did that in arkansas, not on the way to the lottery office but on the way home.  Random does not care who, right place at the right time.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
          Texas
          United States
          Member #92330
          June 5, 2010
          887 Posts
          Posted: February 22, 2013, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

This might make you feel better.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023514/Joan-R-Ginther-won-lottery-4-times-Stanford-University-statistics-PhD.html

"First, she won $5.4 million, then a decade later, she won $2million, then two years later $3million and in the summer of 2008, she hit a $10million jackpot."

"Three of her wins, all in two-year intervals, were by scratch-off tickets bought at the same mini mart in the town of Bishop."

Shows that not only can there be big winners from the same town mutliple times but also that the same person can win them. Imagine if she subscribed to the same theory you have, she would have missed out on $13million.

United States
            Member #122468
            February 1, 2012
            530 Posts
            Posted: February 25, 2013, 11:04 am - IP Logged

I gave up on scratch offs. The instataneous message of "not a winner, try again" is too unnerving. At least with the numbers you wait until tonight or if you sleep early, then the following morning. Good luck

Hi maringoman,

I can understand your feeling about scratch offs. Like you say it's nice to hold onto a draw ticket and have that dream a little longer as opposed to the immediacy of scratchoffs telling you you didn't win. Good luck to you as well.

United States
              Member #122468
              February 1, 2012
              530 Posts
              Posted: February 25, 2013, 11:18 am - IP Logged

Don't go by the concept that since your town has had a couple of big winners that the liklihood is slim that there would be more...I've heard of a couple of stores that continue to have big winners...For instance, there is a store in Florence, SC that is known for having big winners. People actually drive from out of state just to go to this one store to purchase lottery tickets...I'm sure there are others like that.

You really need to keep a postive attitude. I'm a firm believer in trying to stay away from a negative outlook. Like rdgnr mentioned, . the majority of us are in your shoes. Try to find humor in the negative situations (unless they are really serious, of course)....I try to keep the "well there's always next time" attitude when playing the lottery...Good Luck to you!

Hi CinCin,

Though there are some stores as you say that continue to have big winners it seems the likelihood of it happening is slim.  There is a convenience store one town away from me that always posts tons of winning scratch tickets. Whenever I have played at that store I've never won anything. Also I remember last year there was a 1 million dollar scratch ticket won at a gas station a few towns away from me. Hoping that this gas station might be a lucky one I went in soon after the win and started talking to a clerk there who said that it must be totally random since before someone won 1 million on that scratch ticket they hadn't sold any winning scratch tickets.  I agree with you about keeping a positive attitude. When I started this post I was so down after hearing about that big win up the street from me. Since then I'm back to realizing again that it's impossible to be at the right place at the right time but will not stop playing scratch tickets will just be playing them in another town for awhile with the occasional one in my town. If I'm ever hoping to win someday it doesn't make sense for me to stop playing completely because then I will never have a chance to win something.  As rdnr stated and you as well it is true that most of us are not the big winners. If all of us were big winners the lottery wouldn't be in existence anymore, can't see them having the odds against them. Good luck to you as well.

United States
                Member #122468
                February 1, 2012
                530 Posts
                Posted: February 25, 2013, 11:21 am - IP Logged

Hey shy you in NC?? Cause someone here was won the first  $4 million dollar prize in that new bullion dollars scratcher....hey you know what that tells me....it can be anyone or anywhere....let's keep our fingers crossed and hope the next big winners are us...

Hi billionaire2bee,

I'm not in North Carolina. I'm in agreement with you and will keep our fingers crossed for us to be the next big winners.

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: February 25, 2013, 11:30 am - IP Logged

A 711 store A BLOCK AWAY FROM MY HOME   had three  big winners in a FOUR month span...250,000  on a $5.00 ----10,000 on a $20---- 50,000 on a $2 scratch off.   So I wouldnot give up...JUST Think Postive when u ask for your ticket!!!!!!!

Hi 1977,

That's great that a 711 store close to your home had 4 big winners on scractch tickets. I just think it's highly unlikely to have another big winner at the same place that someone won a huge jackpot on a scratch ticket. I always do try to be positive when buying scratch tickets, that's why many times I will buy a scratch ticket and wait days or weeks to scratch it, keeping the dream alive that I might be a big winner.

United States
                    Member #122468
                    February 1, 2012
                    530 Posts
                    Posted: February 25, 2013, 11:35 am - IP Logged

Winning tickets dont care who buys them, you could buy a million dollar winner at a store.  And then on the way to the lottery office stop at the same store and win fifty thousand more.  One couple just did that in arkansas, not on the way to the lottery office but on the way home.  Random does not care who, right place at the right time.

Hi dld7763,

Though you are right that winning tickets don't care who buys them, I still believe that some people just have great luck. Those people you mentioned in Arkansas are a good example of people with great luck. Think of how hard it is to win anything good on a scratch ticket and they win a million dollars then 50,000 the same weekened that's pretty incredible.

United States
                      Member #122468
                      February 1, 2012
                      530 Posts
                      Posted: February 25, 2013, 11:38 am - IP Logged

This might make you feel better.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023514/Joan-R-Ginther-won-lottery-4-times-Stanford-University-statistics-PhD.html

"First, she won $5.4 million, then a decade later, she won $2million, then two years later $3million and in the summer of 2008, she hit a $10million jackpot."

"Three of her wins, all in two-year intervals, were by scratch-off tickets bought at the same mini mart in the town of Bishop."

Shows that not only can there be big winners from the same town mutliple times but also that the same person can win them. Imagine if she subscribed to the same theory you have, she would have missed out on $13million.

Hi ttech10,

I've followed the story of Joan Gunther who had those big wins in Texas. She was a former Math Professor with a Ph.D in Statistics from Stanford.  I was wondering with her great brain perhaps she knew something the rest of us didn't. Also wondered if she was in cahoots with the owner or clerk at the store that she won the big money from. Perhaps they were saving tickets just for her.

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #130213
                        July 9, 2012
                        387 Posts
                        Posted: February 25, 2013, 11:51 am - IP Logged

Hi CinCin,

Though there are some stores as you say that continue to have big winners it seems the likelihood of it happening is slim.  There is a convenience store one town away from me that always posts tons of winning scratch tickets. Whenever I have played at that store I've never won anything. Also I remember last year there was a 1 million dollar scratch ticket won at a gas station a few towns away from me. Hoping that this gas station might be a lucky one I went in soon after the win and started talking to a clerk there who said that it must be totally random since before someone won 1 million on that scratch ticket they hadn't sold any winning scratch tickets.  I agree with you about keeping a positive attitude. When I started this post I was so down after hearing about that big win up the street from me. Since then I'm back to realizing again that it's impossible to be at the right place at the right time but will not stop playing scratch tickets will just be playing them in another town for awhile with the occasional one in my town. If I'm ever hoping to win someday it doesn't make sense for me to stop playing completely because then I will never have a chance to win something.  As rdnr stated and you as well it is true that most of us are not the big winners. If all of us were big winners the lottery wouldn't be in existence anymore, can't see them having the odds against them. Good luck to you as well.

I know of one reported instance where a NJ lottery worker got hold of a list of locations where big prize winners were sent. So he went out chasing after them only to get caught later.

NJ Lottery in a bid to be more transparent are listing online the locations where these winners were purchased. Thats nice but I have noticed how a lot of them were bought from liquor stores, newspaper (adult) stores and most of them were in northern NJ locations. I know everything in the lottery has to be random but can't they spread the wealth ? Can't it be a round-robin type of thing ? Can't they get them to where average Joes really live and buy them ?

Also I ask myself why some store locations hide their scratch-offs. Like some NJ turnpike rest areas sell them but they are not displayed prominently and you have to ask for them. Why sell them just to keep them in drawers ?

I have seen, only once, somebody I thought were chasing for the jackpot tickets. He asked for all lots of a specific game and paid the retailer to scan each one of them. He did not even bother to stay around and just came back to ask if it was net positive or negative. My only guess was he was driving around with a lot of $$$ actively searching for that winner. I don't know how it all went but, I hope he was just a one-off who hates his money.

United States
                          Member #122468
                          February 1, 2012
                          530 Posts
                          Posted: February 25, 2013, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

I know of one reported instance where a NJ lottery worker got hold of a list of locations where big prize winners were sent. So he went out chasing after them only to get caught later.

NJ Lottery in a bid to be more transparent are listing online the locations where these winners were purchased. Thats nice but I have noticed how a lot of them were bought from liquor stores, newspaper (adult) stores and most of them were in northern NJ locations. I know everything in the lottery has to be random but can't they spread the wealth ? Can't it be a round-robin type of thing ? Can't they get them to where average Joes really live and buy them ?

Also I ask myself why some store locations hide their scratch-offs. Like some NJ turnpike rest areas sell them but they are not displayed prominently and you have to ask for them. Why sell them just to keep them in drawers ?

I have seen, only once, somebody I thought were chasing for the jackpot tickets. He asked for all lots of a specific game and paid the retailer to scan each one of them. He did not even bother to stay around and just came back to ask if it was net positive or negative. My only guess was he was driving around with a lot of $$$ actively searching for that winner. I don't know how it all went but, I hope he was just a one-off who hates his money.

Hi d1nnl2,

I'm glad that dishonest NJ lottery worker got caught. People shouldn't be rewarded for being dishonest. In my state for the big jackpot scratch tickets they usually have a picture of the person stating where that person lives and the place and location where they won the scratch ticket from. Like yourself it would be great to spread the wealth around. Since I still believe it's next to impossible to be at the right place at the right time that's the crux of the problem. Even when the lottery does try to be in various towns how can one possibly know where the jackpot ticket is going to be. It always reminds me of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (though that was a book and then a movie).  Though that movie was a favorite of mine for years growing up, I always wondered how in the world could Charlie be one of the lucky 5 players to win that golden ticket, lol.  When I was a kid I thought how come wishing for something just isn't enough for it to happen.  In terms of chasing for jackpot tickets I'm under the assumption that most of the time it's a losing proposition. I prefer to have a budget set for scratch tickets so I'm not chasing tickets.