Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 10:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Excel to open office formatting question.

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Greenfox.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Greenfox's avatar - IMAG01562
Burnsville
United States
Member #107244
March 4, 2011
853 Posts
Posted: February 22, 2013, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

I guess this may be the right place to put this in. Since this is where all the programmers are. I've figured out how to use that converter to make the excel sheets into open office. I'm not sure what format it uses though to convert it to. It can save from going thru and adding each and every formula by hand and just transform it to be able to use. Hand typing could take me weeks as slow as I am with the excel, I can only imagine how long it would take with this new program that I'm not even sure how the formula structure is made. I know this program will change to ODS, ODT, SQL, DIFF, SLYK, XLS, XLSX and a few more formats. Do any of you programmers know which one i need to convert to to have the open office be able to use an excel formulated sheet?

Also, I know that open office switches the comma as the separater to the semi-colon, but for some reason i can't get a formula to work like i want it to either. Let's say i have =IF(A1>B1,1,"") in cell A2. Is there something different I need to do to it other than swap out the commas to semi-colons?

Thanks a bunch guys/gals!!!!

I also have or can get you the link to that converter if any formulaters want it.

You can't steal second and keep your foot on FIRST!!!

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths.
When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength”.

-Arnold (Ahnald) Schwarzenegger-

Mickie's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg
    Spring Lake
    United States
    Member #313
    April 26, 2002
    181 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2013, 11:20 am - IP Logged

Yikes! I have excel I haven't seen to many having problems. What are you trying to do and where.

MickieDisney

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
      Economy class
      Belgium
      Member #123700
      February 27, 2012
      4035 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2013, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

For the USA there is Comma-separated values. Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values

Burnsville
        United States
        Member #107244
        March 4, 2011
        853 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2013, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

Yikes! I have excel I haven't seen to many having problems. What are you trying to do and where.

Hey Mickie and thanks for the reply.

It's not the actual excel I'm having trouble with. I'm trying to make my work into the Apache Open Office for anyone that doesn't have excel and wanted to try what I've been doing. I found a program that will change the format of the excel sheet to where the open office program can read and work with it. That way I wouldn't have to go back and retype all that I've already done. I just don't know the format extension that apache uses in it's spreadsheets to switch it to. And I don't know the formula writing structure for the Apache program.

I do appreciate the reply and any help!!!

Burnsville
          United States
          Member #107244
          March 4, 2011
          853 Posts
          Posted: February 23, 2013, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

For the USA there is Comma-separated values. Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values

Heu SergeM,

So use the comma's in the formula writing in Apache open office, instead of the semi-colon? I know in excel it uses the comma but thought I had read to use the semi's with Apache. I guess I need to just read while good and awake and try it again.

Thanks for the info, reply and any help!!!

Mickie's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg
            Spring Lake
            United States
            Member #313
            April 26, 2002
            181 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2013, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

Hey Greenfox I might have found something for you to try

Kingsoft Spreadsheets 2012 - Free Alternative to Microsoft Excel

http://www.kingsoftstore.com/office/free-excel

Good luck :-)

MickieDisney

Economy class
              Belgium
              Member #123700
              February 27, 2012
              4035 Posts
              Posted: February 23, 2013, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

Heu SergeM,

So use the comma's in the formula writing in Apache open office, instead of the semi-colon? I know in excel it uses the comma but thought I had read to use the semi's with Apache. I guess I need to just read while good and awake and try it again.

Take a spreadsheet and save it as "file.txt". Open the file with text editor. Look at the content.

Economy class
                Belgium
                Member #123700
                February 27, 2012
                4035 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2013, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Heu SergeM,

You react from an American point of view.

Why don't you buy or use Excel? Does your OS have problems with it?

Burnsville
                  United States
                  Member #107244
                  March 4, 2011
                  853 Posts
                  Posted: February 23, 2013, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

Hey Greenfox I might have found something for you to try

Kingsoft Spreadsheets 2012 - Free Alternative to Microsoft Excel

http://www.kingsoftstore.com/office/free-excel

Good luck :-)

Thank you Mickie,

I wil check into that. That may be something that someone else has on here and can be able to use. I don't know if anyone does or not, but surely someone has it and may want to try what I've been doing.  I just had a member wanting me to make this suff in Apache so they could try it is why I was trying to do it. But, I'll look at that also.

Thank you much again!!!

Burnsville
                    United States
                    Member #107244
                    March 4, 2011
                    853 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2013, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

Take a spreadsheet and save it as "file.txt". Open the file with text editor. Look at the content.

Thanks again SergeM!!! I'll check into that also and see what it does or what I can do with it.

Burnsville
                      United States
                      Member #107244
                      March 4, 2011
                      853 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2013, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

You react from an American point of view.

Why don't you buy or use Excel? Does your OS have problems with it?

LOL. I am American SergeM. My point of view is probably not what everyone else's is though. Everyone is different. My train of thought, is make it happen. Whatever it is. lol. I'm just trying to make this in a different program so those that don't have excel and want to use it can.

I do have excel and all my work is now in it. Some on here don't have it though is why i was trying to make it in a free program that others do have, or at least can get if they can't afford the excel right now.

I'll try what you said about saving it in a different format and see what that does. I appreciate it!!!

Burnsville
                        United States
                        Member #107244
                        March 4, 2011
                        853 Posts
                        Posted: February 23, 2013, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

I found the format that open office uses and can make that happen now. I will still get the one you pointed out Mickie and make some up with it. Just in case.

Many thanks to both of you!!!

Economy class
                          Belgium
                          Member #123700
                          February 27, 2012
                          4035 Posts
                          Posted: February 23, 2013, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

LOL. I am American SergeM. My point of view is probably not what everyone else's is though. Everyone is different. My train of thought, is make it happen. Whatever it is. lol. I'm just trying to make this in a different program so those that don't have excel and want to use it can.

I do have excel and all my work is now in it. Some on here don't have it though is why i was trying to make it in a free program that others do have, or at least can get if they can't afford the excel right now.

I'll try what you said about saving it in a different format and see what that does. I appreciate it!!!

There are differences with the OS Windows for settings, maybe others, from USA to local Europe. So your point of view is on American software on American territory.

It is like seven and seven. Your seven is kind of illegal here, it only counts printed.

There are differences with order in dates, with commas, points and semicolons.

So, you have an American point of view, besides, yes, you are not European.

Burnsville
                            United States
                            Member #107244
                            March 4, 2011
                            853 Posts
                            Posted: February 23, 2013, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

There are differences with the OS Windows for settings, maybe others, from USA to local Europe. So your point of view is on American software on American territory.

It is like seven and seven. Your seven is kind of illegal here, it only counts printed.

There are differences with order in dates, with commas, points and semicolons.

So, you have an American point of view, besides, yes, you are not European.

LOL. Oh, I got ya. I knew with excel the comma was to be used for formulas. But saw that the semi-colon was used in place of the comma for the open office program. I didn't even think to check if that may be for a different country or anything like that. I figured it was the same everywhere. Glad you pointed that out. I appreciate it!!!

I figured there would be some differences in the OS for other countries such as date and things like that, but thought you could change that in the control panel. I didn't know there was that much of a difference in the rest of it.

The more I can learn about anything is appreciated though, so thank you!!!

Burnsville
                              United States
                              Member #107244
                              March 4, 2011
                              853 Posts
                              Posted: February 26, 2013, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

Those spreadsheets that Mickie linked to are great. The user interface is very close to that of Excel. Some of the formulas I use won't (or I don't know how to make them work in the Apache). But the Kingsoft is great and much more user friendly. I've been using it and am getting close to making up a book in it. I may not be able to do the Apache, but will try. I would definetly recommend the Kingsoft though. For free, and as close as it is to the excel, you can't beat it.

Thanks again Mickie for the link and finding it!!!