Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you need to win THAT much?

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19824 Posts
Posted: February 25, 2013, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps if you think the winnings are more than you can handle the states could be convinced to allow you to take only a potion of your winnings and give the rest to them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: February 25, 2013, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps if you think the winnings are more than you can handle the states could be convinced to allow you to take only a potion of your winnings and give the rest to them.

Yes Nod   Like tithing to a church in reverse.  Simply give back 90% of the jackpot to the state.   Embarassed

Robinhood's avatar - Robin
      My Town
      Bahamas
      Member #128966
      June 6, 2012
      169 Posts
      Posted: February 25, 2013, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

Do I need to win that much??? Hmmm think about this...Do you really need a car?? God gave you to feet you can walk whever you want to go...Do I need a television?? Well you could sit around and listen to the radio like they did in the 30's and 40's or talk to your family better yet....People don't need to win that much...but like everything else it would make life easier and more comfortable....For me I say bigger is always better and more is better than less....Im sorry Im a huge capitalist....I just love money...which is probaly wh I can't get enough of it LOL LOL

I'd want to win more so to give it away than to keep/hoard it.  Of course, I would first secure my family and myself financially - but after that, I aim to give every last nickle away.  I see so much suffering going on due to financial lack, that it is hurtful and I would like to fix as much of those "financial lack" problems for those people who live lives of quiet desperation dealing with economic hardship. 

As far as billionaire2bee's "more is better than less" remark - I would agree in terms of having more money being better than having less money.  However I disagree with this statement when it comes to material "things" as I subcribe to the minimalist approach where "less is best" and wasteful extravagance is shunned. I think Matthew E. May makes a lost of sense when he says in his Blogpost: "In our world of excess everything, savvy innovators realize that less is actually best". (italics my own).

We all Luv to win ..... at least now 'n again!

Matt. 22: 21 -  Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's,

but unto the Heavenly Father, the things that are His.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19767 Posts
        Posted: February 25, 2013, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

Yes Nod   Like tithing to a church in reverse.  Simply give back 90% of the jackpot to the state.   Embarassed

Smiley with a big “Never” Sign

Let it Snow Snowman

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: February 25, 2013, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

I'd want to win more so to give it away than to keep/hoard it.  Of course, I would first secure my family and myself financially - but after that, I aim to give every last nickle away.  I see so much suffering going on due to financial lack, that it is hurtful and I would like to fix as much of those "financial lack" problems for those people who live lives of quiet desperation dealing with economic hardship. 

As far as billionaire2bee's "more is better than less" remark - I would agree in terms of having more money being better than having less money.  However I disagree with this statement when it comes to material "things" as I subcribe to the minimalist approach where "less is best" and wasteful extravagance is shunned. I think Matthew E. May makes a lost of sense when he says in his Blogpost: "In our world of excess everything, savvy innovators realize that less is actually best". (italics my own).

"...lives of quiet desperation..."

I do believe that's the first time I've seen someone on Lottery Post quote Thoreau or expound on his minimalist philosophy in regards to the lottery.

We need more of that.

"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."  - Henry David Thoreau

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Robinhood's avatar - Robin
            My Town
            Bahamas
            Member #128966
            June 6, 2012
            169 Posts
            Posted: February 25, 2013, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

"...lives of quiet desperation..."

I do believe that's the first time I've seen someone on Lottery Post quote Thoreau or expound on his minimalist philosophy in regards to the lottery.

We need more of that.

"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone."  - Henry David Thoreau

@ rdgrnr: I guess it goes to prove that old adage: "Great minds think alike" ?  Not to 'big maself up', you know, but the honest truth is I don't know who Henry David Thoreau is - never read him and it's the first I've ever heard of him.  Certainly agree with him, though.

We all Luv to win ..... at least now 'n again!

Matt. 22: 21 -  Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's,

but unto the Heavenly Father, the things that are His.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: February 25, 2013, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

@ rdgrnr: I guess it goes to prove that old adage: "Great minds think alike" ?  Not to 'big maself up', you know, but the honest truth is I don't know who Henry David Thoreau is - never read him and it's the first I've ever heard of him.  Certainly agree with him, though.

Whoa... that's one of his more well known quotes - "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

And he was one of the originators of minimalism.

You must have been reading somebody who was referencing him or had been influenced by his writings then.

Check him out for some good reading.

Good luck!

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                40376 Posts
                Posted: February 25, 2013, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

I want a Housekeeper!

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19767 Posts
                  Posted: February 25, 2013, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

Yes Nod

No Nod

Let it Snow Snowman

u$a
                    United States
                    Member #106665
                    February 22, 2011
                    19767 Posts
                    Posted: February 25, 2013, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

Do I need to win that much??? Hmmm think about this...Do you really need a car?? God gave you to feet you can walk whever you want to go...Do I need a television?? Well you could sit around and listen to the radio like they did in the 30's and 40's or talk to your family better yet....People don't need to win that much...but like everything else it would make life easier and more comfortable....For me I say bigger is always better and more is better than less....Im sorry Im a huge capitalist....I just love money...which is probaly wh I can't get enough of it LOL LOL

when is the next Lottery shows gonna be on What?

Let it Snow Snowman

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                      Winning makes me smile.
                      bel air maryland
                      United States
                      Member #90251
                      April 24, 2010
                      4862 Posts
                      Posted: February 25, 2013, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

They already allow us to take a portion while they take the rest. Their portion is called taxes.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

Inland Empire
                        United States
                        Member #118116
                        October 22, 2011
                        316 Posts
                        Posted: February 26, 2013, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

If I win real big then I would set up a nest egg with a small portion of it and use the rest of the winning to set up some scholarship/charity.

If you believe that colleges are tools of Satan, well, I won't argue with you. Satan just has to sit back and laugh at us messing things up. He doesn't have to lift his finger.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: February 26, 2013, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

If I win real big then I would set up a nest egg with a small portion of it and use the rest of the winning to set up some scholarship/charity.

If you believe that colleges are tools of Satan, well, I won't argue with you. Satan just has to sit back and laugh at us messing things up. He doesn't have to lift his finger.

Satan?

Heh,heh,heh,heh,heh...

I'd spit a wad o' Beech-Nut in that dude's eye,

And shoot him with my ol' 45.

--Edmund Burke

Columbia, SC
                            United States
                            Member #135285
                            November 21, 2012
                            584 Posts
                            Posted: February 26, 2013, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

I'd love to win enough to make the life I had left filled with days of no financial burdens..I'd love to win enough to be able to do that for my kids and future grandkids too if possible...I really don't wont to win so much that I'd have to change my life , such as relocate, but I sure wouldn't complain about winning that kind of money...It's just not my "ideal" win..my ideal win would allow me to keep as much of my life the same, just minus financial burdens..

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: February 26, 2013, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

I'd love to win enough to make the life I had left filled with days of no financial burdens..I'd love to win enough to be able to do that for my kids and future grandkids too if possible...I really don't wont to win so much that I'd have to change my life , such as relocate, but I sure wouldn't complain about winning that kind of money...It's just not my "ideal" win..my ideal win would allow me to keep as much of my life the same, just minus financial burdens..

Kids?

You ain't old enough to have kids, Cindy Sue!

You look like a kid your ownself!

--Edmund Burke