Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

200 Winning Pick 3 Tickets

Topic closed. 108 replies. Last post 4 years ago by dsscsystems.

Page 1 of 8
PrintE-mailLink

How would you cash them?

One at a time so as to avoid taxes [ 37 ]  [77.08%]
At the lottery office - I always pay my taxes [ 5 ]  [10.42%]
At the lottery office - Too Chicken to get caught [ 6 ]  [12.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 48 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
Idaho
United States
Member #94283
July 17, 2010
2284 Posts
Posted: February 26, 2013, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

Say you had 200 separate pick 3 tickets, each worth $500 for a total of $100,000.  After state and fed taxes, most of us would wind up with $70K or less, putting a pretty big dent in our windfall.  Would you have the guts to cash each one separately to avoid the taxes?   Or would you be afraid of getting caught by the IRS?

If you'd cash them separately, what steps would you take to avoid getting caught and indicted for tax evasion?

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
    Massachusetts
    United States
    Member #37433
    April 14, 2006
    2747 Posts
    Posted: February 26, 2013, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

As much as I hate taxes I like to do things by the book. Besides most stores rarely have over $500 cash. Secretly cashing 200 of those gems would not be easy.

That money's gone fo ever

Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: February 26, 2013, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

As much as I hate taxes I like to do things by the book. Besides most stores rarely have over $500 cash. Secretly cashing 200 of those gems would not be easy.

No, you couldn't cash more than one at a time at the same store.  Not only do they normally not have that kind of cash, but you risk a snoopy clerk deciding to turn you in.

The best I can figure is you'd have to go from store to store, cashing one at each store.  Then wait a few days or a week, then go at a different time of day when there are likely to be different clerks on duty.  But you still risk getting caught on camera over and over and over.

Set4life's avatar - 2554
        East Hampton, NY
        United States
        Member #41995
        June 25, 2006
        1137 Posts
        Posted: February 26, 2013, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

No, you couldn't cash more than one at a time at the same store.  Not only do they normally not have that kind of cash, but you risk a snoopy clerk deciding to turn you in.

The best I can figure is you'd have to go from store to store, cashing one at each store.  Then wait a few days or a week, then go at a different time of day when there are likely to be different clerks on duty.  But you still risk getting caught on camera over and over and over.

Your wrong, you can cash as many as you like, as long as they have enough to pay you.  Ive cashed in over 15 tickets, in one store.  No issues here.

$Group Hug$

FOR THE WIN!

Idaho
          United States
          Member #94283
          July 17, 2010
          2284 Posts
          Posted: February 26, 2013, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Your wrong, you can cash as many as you like, as long as they have enough to pay you.  Ive cashed in over 15 tickets, in one store.  No issues here.

Call me paranoid, but I think you're lucky you didn't have a clerk who decided to get a reward from the IRS and copy down your license plate and send video of you to the IRS.  I dunno, maybe I'm the only who runs into people who try to insert themselves into my bidness.

United States
            Member #139575
            February 26, 2013
            2 Posts
            Posted: February 26, 2013, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

In America. You can cash them all in at once.  No taxeS.  I've cashed in 40 pick 3 box tickets at once.  No taxes

Toni Love6's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
              LAUREL, MD
              United States
              Member #125427
              March 28, 2012
              114 Posts
              Posted: February 26, 2013, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

I thought that if its under $500 or $600 per ticket, its not taxed. Each one is separate.

And at Super Lotto Agent Stores, they can definitely cash more than a couple of tickets.

Here in Maryland, some agents can cash up to $25,000 I believe. The one I got to can only do up to $5,000.

But thats a lot of stores to go to.  Just cash them as you need money I guess.

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                United States
                Member #130213
                July 9, 2012
                387 Posts
                Posted: February 26, 2013, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

A winning ticket is just like currency. I know people who have won big prizes and got the tickets off their hands in fear of the IRS. Of course, like anything in ebay, it has to be sold at a discount.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                  u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19782 Posts
                  Posted: February 26, 2013, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                    u$a
                    United States
                    Member #106665
                    February 22, 2011
                    19782 Posts
                    Posted: February 26, 2013, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

a girl in Indiana won $300,000.00 on P3  Smiley

Let it Snow Snowman

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                      Winning makes me smile.
                      bel air maryland
                      United States
                      Member #90251
                      April 24, 2010
                      4866 Posts
                      Posted: February 26, 2013, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

I thought that if its under $500 or $600 per ticket, its not taxed. Each one is separate.

And at Super Lotto Agent Stores, they can definitely cash more than a couple of tickets.

Here in Maryland, some agents can cash up to $25,000 I believe. The one I got to can only do up to $5,000.

But thats a lot of stores to go to.  Just cash them as you need money I guess.

$600 or less can be redeemed at any retailer. $5,000 or less can be redeemed at the agent plus locations. Any thing over that you have to go one of the 2 lottery offices. If the retailer has the cash they will cash as much as you have in winners. If they don't, the stores I go to will ask me to come back the next day and they will cash them.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                        Oklahoma
                        United States
                        Member #82391
                        November 12, 2009
                        6290 Posts
                        Posted: February 26, 2013, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

I agree with maringoman, " as much as I hate taxes I like to do things by the book".

I Love Pink & Green 1908

sully16's avatar - sharan
                          Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          40420 Posts
                          Posted: February 26, 2013, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

Here in Michigan anything under  500 is tax free, since all those tickets come in single bets, and you have a year to cash them in, I would bid my time and cash them slowly.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

7cityreppa's avatar - lion
                            Newport News,VA
                            United States
                            Member #5510
                            July 8, 2004
                            144 Posts
                            Posted: February 26, 2013, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

Here in Virginia you have 180 days to cash in a winning ticket. Whenever I hit for a big sum of money on pick3/4, I usually cash my tickets in at a grocery store because they always have money.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: February 26, 2013, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Say you had 200 separate pick 3 tickets, each worth $500 for a total of $100,000.  After state and fed taxes, most of us would wind up with $70K or less, putting a pretty big dent in our windfall.  Would you have the guts to cash each one separately to avoid the taxes?   Or would you be afraid of getting caught by the IRS?

If you'd cash them separately, what steps would you take to avoid getting caught and indicted for tax evasion?

Are you saying that "a friend" (wink wink, nudge nudge) (say no more, say no more) of yours has these tickets?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke