Baltimore man, 81, loses his home after falling for lottery scam

Mar 7, 2013, 9:01 am (95 comments)

Scam Alert

The first caller told Norman Breidenbaugh he had won $2.5 million in a foreign sweepstakes, but there was a catch: Breidenbaugh needed to send $2,000 in fees before collecting his earnings.

Other calls followed, promising Breidenbaugh millions more — even a Mercedes Benz — as long as he would wire some money to pay taxes on the prizes. He obliged, sending more than $400,000 over about six years, hoping the promised winnings would cover his wife's medical expenses.

The prizes never came. The people calling Breidenbaugh, 81, were con artists from Canada and Jamaica, claiming they were Border Patrol or Secret Service agents, a fraud scheme that has increasingly targeted elderly people. Breidenbaugh fell behind on property taxes and last year lost his Baltimore home.

"I never told anybody what kind of mess I was in because I was too proud, too stubborn to let anybody know it," he said. "I'd like to wring the necks of these people."

Breidenbaugh plans to share his story with his peers at 7:15 p.m. Thursday at Augsburg Lutheran Home and Village, in hopes of helping others avoid being taken in.

The event, hosted during National Consumer Protection Week, is part of an effort by the U.S. Postal Inspection Service to teach senior citizens to avoid sweepstakes scams — a type of telemarketing fraud.

The U.S. Postal Inspection Service estimates Americans lost more than $42 million to lottery fraud between 2009 and 2011. Many of the scams the inspection service dealt with originated in Jamaica and other Caribbean countries, inspector Frank Schissler said, and targeted senior citizens.

In 2009, Jamaican and American authorities partnered to create a task force to crack down on Jamaican lottery schemes. And members of Jamaica's House of Representatives took up a bill on Tuesday that would more aggressively prosecute Jamaicans accused of lottery fraud conducted within and outside the country.

The proposed legislation states that lottery scams have become widespread and pose a threat to Jamaica because they are a combination of both organized and financial crime. "The law in its present stage has proven to be ineffective in prosecuting offenders," the bill reads.

According to Federal Trade Commission data, lottery scam complaints about Jamaican companies have risen dramatically over the past five years, from 3,606 in 2008 to a projected 28,702 last year.

Terrill Caplan, chief security officer with the nonprofit victim advocacy organization Fraud Aid, said most lottery scams come out of West Africa and are run over the Internet. Jamaican lottery fraud is less common, he said, but what sets it apart is that its perpetrators specifically go after senior citizens.

From January to September in 2012, people between the ages of 60 and 69 logged more than 1,400 lottery scam complaints against Jamaican companies and reported losing more than $4 million, according to FTC data. People 70 and older made more than 3,000 complaints and reported more than $9 million lost.

Karen Straughn, with the Consumer Protection Division of the Maryland attorney general's office, said senior citizens are "prime targets" for lottery fraud because many live on fixed incomes and are more likely to take a chance on extra money.

Schissler said lottery schemes account for more than half of the telemarketing fraud against people who are 60 or older. The most successful scammers chat with senior citizens, learn about them and then use that knowledge against them, he said.

The people calling Breidenbaugh found out his wife had dementia and was in a nursing home. They told him that if he sent them money, he could use his winnings to bring his wife back to his house and hire someone to care for her.

Breidenbaugh, whose wife has since died, said he has no legal recourse against the "scumbags" who scammed him. He now lives in Nottingham with a family friend.

"No, you can't prosecute them," he said with a laugh. "You don't have any idea of knowing who they are or where they are."

Breidenbaugh said the best advice he can offer people who might be facing sweepstakes scams is to avoid conversation with anyone who calls asking for money.

"Do not say a word — just hang the phone up," he said. "Because if you say anything, they got you."

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Baltimore Sun

Comments

Chris$'s avatarChris$

What a shame. Its horrible to scam someone and its really too bad
at the age if 81 he still doesnt know there is no such thing as free money
If it sounds to good to be true it usually is....

lottolaughs's avatarlottolaughs

Uh...excuse me...did I read $400,000 over 6 years? After even the FIRST year don't you think you'd figure out it was some kind of a scam? Yeah,it's sad and all but how many more of these do we have to read about before folks wake up.

If he had that kind of money to begin with...well,now...that's a nice chunk of change that most people don't even have sitting in their bank account. Why wasn't he using that instead for his wife's care. 

Greed is a horrible thing.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by lottolaughs on Mar 7, 2013

Uh...excuse me...did I read $400,000 over 6 years? After even the FIRST year don't you think you'd figure out it was some kind of a scam? Yeah,it's sad and all but how many more of these do we have to read about before folks wake up.

If he had that kind of money to begin with...well,now...that's a nice chunk of change that most people don't even have sitting in their bank account. Why wasn't he using that instead for his wife's care. 

Greed is a horrible thing.

How bout, after the first DAY people should be asking questions.

Ronnie316

This is why I don't answer calls from strange area codes. Anyone who answers such calls ends up on some vary strange LISTS.

rooster8786

I haven't been to a foreign country or entered a foreign lottery so how could I have won?  That should have been the first question!  Then he should have hung up the phone...

Ronnie316

I think some people wait their whole life to here the words "Your a winner"

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

If only the Television stations around the country would Air warnings about these scammers, a lot of this would never happen.

They can Air time other items of their choosing, why not Air time something to help these Seniors....

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by MADDOG10 on Mar 7, 2013

If only the Television stations around the country would Air warnings about these scammers, a lot of this would never happen.

They can Air time other items of their choosing, why not Air time something to help these Seniors....

That would make a good Dateline show. Scam a bunch of people, then give it back and watch their jaws drop.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Mar 7, 2013

That would make a good Dateline show. Scam a bunch of people, then give it back and watch their jaws drop.

They would have to make a lot of phone calls before they found a poor greedy sucker with $400K to scam.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

All I can say is if your parents & grandparents are still living please make sure you check on them ask questions about their finances.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

maybe he has dementia, and forgot how much he sent?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Governments could catch these guys if they worked together or really cared about it.

But they really don't care about it cuz there's no payoff for them.

It's every man for himself nowadays.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Mar 7, 2013

This is why I don't answer calls from strange area codes. Anyone who answers such calls ends up on some vary strange LISTS.

Darn straight. I get phone calls from time to time with area codes l am not familiar with, l simply press " delete"- if it is a relative whose moved into those area codes, they had better send an email letting me know  ' cause lm not picking up.
Sad story no doubt but at least his gonna warn others about this deceptive practice by some  worthless folk out there.

Bleedblue21's avatarBleedblue21

It seems that since Americans are being targeted for these scams (more directly the senior citizens)...I believe the way we retaliate against these foreign countries is to BOYCOT TRAVELING TO THESE DESTINATIONS !!!

Hit them in the pocketbook the same way they hit us.  Stop traveling to Jamaica...pretty simple solution to me.  Will teach their government to be more strict on ALL illegal internet activity...and if they see tourist monies dropping at an alarming rate, perhaps they will get the picture.

Just sayin'

Smash (Drop the Hammer !!!)

Stack47

It looks like Norman Breidenbaugh was involved in several scams "Other calls followed, promising Breidenbaugh millions more — even a Mercedes Benz". I average about 10 of these emails a month, but never answered any of them; I can't imagine how many I'd get if answered one. Part of me feels sorry for the guy and part of me wonders why someone would think they won something they never entered and would have to pay to get their winnings.

"I never told anybody what kind of mess I was in because I was too proud, too stubborn to let anybody know it,"

That's the real problem because nobody knew was what he was doing. When the dust settled it was way to late for anyone do help him. Even if someone had told him it was a terrible idea to pay $2000 to collect his winnings, he probably would still do it because he was convinced he won millions.

Tim Nolan

I guess the question I have is, if he was so concerned about the medical bills of his wife, why the heck would he not use that $400,000

to pay for them, rather than give it away? Just wondering.

gocart1's avatargocart1

Poor old guy....he just wanted to win so bad it messed up he's thinking...

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Tim Nolan on Mar 7, 2013

I guess the question I have is, if he was so concerned about the medical bills of his wife, why the heck would he not use that $400,000

to pay for them, rather than give it away? Just wondering.

Perhaps she was on gov-ment assistance.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on Mar 7, 2013

It looks like Norman Breidenbaugh was involved in several scams "Other calls followed, promising Breidenbaugh millions more — even a Mercedes Benz". I average about 10 of these emails a month, but never answered any of them; I can't imagine how many I'd get if answered one. Part of me feels sorry for the guy and part of me wonders why someone would think they won something they never entered and would have to pay to get their winnings.

"I never told anybody what kind of mess I was in because I was too proud, too stubborn to let anybody know it,"

That's the real problem because nobody knew was what he was doing. When the dust settled it was way to late for anyone do help him. Even if someone had told him it was a terrible idea to pay $2000 to collect his winnings, he probably would still do it because he was convinced he won millions.

I Agree! We will likely never know the full store. I do know that computers call my number all the time just to see if there is an answer. If I answered all the random calls that come in, I get put on lists a my call count per day can go through the roof.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by MADDOG10 on Mar 7, 2013

I agree, what a sad story, I hate to see anyone taken advantage in that way.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

I Agree! We will likely never know the full store. I do know that computers call my number all the time just to see if there is an answer. If I answered all the random calls that come in, I get put on lists a my call count per day can go through the roof.

I think what happens is the computer dials 4 different phone #s at a time,

whoever answers 1st gets the sales pitch, the others are disconnected.

I just let the machine answer, sometimes you get a recording talking to a recording.  LOL

JoeCanWin

Hi everyone,

Even though I joined a few months ago, this is my first post. So, I'm saying "Hi" I play Powerball and Megamillions regularly.

Now, on to this story, I agree with Ronnie316 when he said: "Some people wait all their life to hear "Your a winner!" They just are. I feel sorry for the 81 yr old in this story, but at the same time, I'm thinking, "How could you do this?" "How (on Earth) could you fall for this scam?" Seriously, he learned a valuable lesson the rock-hard way. Hopefully by him spreading his story to other seniors it should help them avoid the same fate.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by gocart1 on Mar 7, 2013

Agreed- its no different than paying the lottery, you throw down serious cash over the lifetime of your playing " hoping" to hit the big one.There is no way anyone is gonna convince you to back off playing.. its all about " what if l won".Like a moth to a flame this codger was reeled in with the chance of having won.
But paying out $400, 000 to scammers is mindboggling.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by JoeCanWin on Mar 7, 2013

Hi everyone,

Even though I joined a few months ago, this is my first post. So, I'm saying "Hi" I play Powerball and Megamillions regularly.

Now, on to this story, I agree with Ronnie316 when he said: "Some people wait all their life to hear "Your a winner!" They just are. I feel sorry for the 81 yr old in this story, but at the same time, I'm thinking, "How could you do this?" "How (on Earth) could you fall for this scam?" Seriously, he learned a valuable lesson the rock-hard way. Hopefully by him spreading his story to other seniors it should help them avoid the same fate.

I Agree!Welcome to LP JoeCanWin.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Mar 7, 2013

Governments could catch these guys if they worked together or really cared about it.

But they really don't care about it cuz there's no payoff for them.

It's every man for himself nowadays.

If the government stepped in and stopped these people sending money to these scammers, someone would complain about one of their rights being taken away.

GAMBLIN QUEEN's avatarGAMBLIN QUEEN

People.....

Talk to your relatives.

Talk to your relatives.

The best way to prevent this is to talk to your relatives and have the relatives talk to their friends.

It is up to us to put the word out.

Be like a person with a wallet full of baby pictures that everyone is trying to avoid.

Talk to your co-workers.

Talk to the grocery store clerks.

Talk to the people at the laundry mat.

Spread the word each and every opportunity you have.

I talk to people all the time and you would be surprised how most of these people play the lottery but don't know what we "the folks at LotteryPost" knows.

I was talking to my insurance agent and I was telling her about something lottery related and she had no idea what I was talking about.

I told her to check it out here at LotteryPost.

I try to refer as many people to this site because the best lottery player is an informed lottery player.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Dateline did a thing on internet scams and there was this guy who thought he was talking to his young and beautiful future wife and then "she" conned him out of a lot of money. I think he was doing this behind his wifes back too. There is some brain deficiency for people who believe these obvious scams and they are not all old people. I had a neighbor (years ago) who was a security guard and so was his wife (he was in his late 50's) and one time I was having dinnner at their home and he kept getting calls from soliciters where he gave out his SSN. I gave him a lecture but it did zero good.

I Agree!Welcome to LP JoeCanWin.

But he was scammed time and time again. I feel very sorry for him but I think if someone called him and said this was NOT a scam, he would fall for it again.

I Agree!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Perhaps she was on gov-ment assistance.

You mean gubmint?

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Hi everyone,

Congratulations on joining, JoeCanWin.  We members have a lot to write, some is accurate and some hasn't been triple checked for accuracy before being typed.

The main ideas, for someone newly committed to playing the two largest, multi-state on-line lottery games here in the good 'ole U. S. of A. are:

- Don't spend more than $45/month to participate in 1 row, for every drawing;

- Allow two weeks to pass before submitting your claim form with your winning lottery jackpot ticket, allow up to another 6 weeks to receive the electronic transfer into your checking/financial account (in case your or a co-winner's social security # is encumbered by: back property taxes, past IRS fees, spousal support, child support, judgements, pre-paid food-stamps debit card electronic transfer, etc. -- which the lottery headquarters pays before also deducting high partial federal income taxes, state income taxes, and municipality income taxes.  Certainly don't be sad and cheap about it, just be glad that the lottery headquarters is making all those final payments and charity services cancellations on your behalf at no additional cost or anxiety to you.)  If you find that you still owe a debt/overpayment that was missed, pay it immediately before spending monies on entertainments/furnitures/housings/transportations.

- Consider it a multi-year playing endeavor (that's what most of the jackpot winners report as their participation);

- After you win a jackpot, cease playing to win later on-line jackpots (nobody/syndicate has ever won jackpot of two or both the MM or PB on-line lotteries).  Be happy for other people to win the MM and PB jackpots.  Don't seek out past MM and PB jackpot winners to get financial advice (their winning streak may have ended or they could reveal your name to the press);

- Decide at which, net, millions dollar amount rollovers how many 18+ year-old people you'd care to add their name on your claim form, as either equal % or lesser % co-winners [never a good idea to flood them with monies after you've been paid by lottery headquarters -- when projecting future death tax/estate taxes ... why pay high tax% on something that you already paid high tax% to receive years earlier?  Plan for NO to double taxations spread years apart];

- Screen all phone calls, that you don't recognize, to voicemail.  If the caller is legit, the person will leave a message ... eventually.  Later, you should peruse messages and decide which to return.  Hint, don't accept free trips, free air tickets, calls from officials indicating that they have no friends and are therefore calling you to help them do something illegal within their job, such as transporting a dead/dying person's monetary funds or stocks to your name and you paying fees or wiring a % with them as a fraud team partner;

- When you win the on-line game, don't tell friends/family-children (that way they don't accidentally tell other blabbermouths, which could burn you rapidly), try to claim anonymously, excuse yourself from the place your ticket was purchased, any lottery retailer's checking machines, AND meet-the-media event(s), or ask your lawyer to check if they'd be allowed to attend the meet-the-media event in your place (if your lottery headquarter's has made manditory) and possibly write a matching trust's name on the back of the ticket AND the claim form; and

- Unceasingly work to enjoy the present day and all that it brings, even if it's not yet a big lottery win. Banana

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Bleedblue21 on Mar 7, 2013

It seems that since Americans are being targeted for these scams (more directly the senior citizens)...I believe the way we retaliate against these foreign countries is to BOYCOT TRAVELING TO THESE DESTINATIONS !!!

Hit them in the pocketbook the same way they hit us.  Stop traveling to Jamaica...pretty simple solution to me.  Will teach their government to be more strict on ALL illegal internet activity...and if they see tourist monies dropping at an alarming rate, perhaps they will get the picture.

Just sayin'

I Agree! Welcome to LP Bleedblue21

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Mar 7, 2013

If the government stepped in and stopped these people sending money to these scammers, someone would complain about one of their rights being taken away.

Well of course.

The ACLU would probably step in and defend their right to send money to scammers.

And the scammers right to conduct business as they see fit.

Whatever's craziest.

It is good to read that Norman "now lives in Nottingham with a family friend."  It is essential not to be homeless, at any age.  I hope that their household is utilizing voicemails/digital answering machines to their  maximum features!

Patriot

PrisonerSix

I'm the same way now. If I see a number I don't recognize, I either reject the call or just let it ring until voicemail picks up. I've been getting a lot of calls from "Cardholder Services" and other such scammers. They seem to hop from number to number and area code to area code. Sometimes I get several of them a day. If you answer once, they never leave you alone.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Bleedblue21 on Mar 7, 2013

Just sayin'

I'm down with that.  Thumbs Up

megan81's avatarmegan81

Such a sad story! It's a good thing though that he is doing something proactive with his misfortunes.

On another note...

Welcome, JoeCanWin!

HaveABall, great advice! Thanks! Can you expand on this:

"Decide at which, net, millions dollar amount rollovers how many 18+ year-old people you'd care to add their name on your claim form, as either equal % or lesser % co-winners [never a good idea to flood them with monies after you've been paid by lottery headquarters -- when projecting future death tax/estate taxes ... why pay high tax% on something that you already paid high tax% to receive years earlier?  Plan for NO to double taxations spread years apart];"

RJOh's avatarRJOh

I don't have caller ID but I enjoy telling these scammers off, it keep me in practice for dealing the local ones.

Piaceri

That, combined with old age issues, and desparation regarding a loved one, in this case, his wife. I feel sad for him.  At least he has turned this around and is using it to teach others about the scammers. God bless him.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Mar 7, 2013

Well of course.

The ACLU would probably step in and defend their right to send money to scammers.

And the scammers right to conduct business as they see fit.

Whatever's craziest.

Yep, that sounds about right.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Mar 7, 2013

I don't have caller ID but I enjoy telling these scammers off, it keep me in practice for dealing the local ones.

I once told a tela marketer, that I wasn't the wife, I was the girlfriend, lol, silence followed

JoeCanWin

To HaveABall, 

Nice to meet You :)

--and--

Wow, thanks so much for all of your advice. I read it all and you have some points of interest that I never thought of and I have done some reasearch online. (So, that is my complement to you). I have been playing MM since September 1996 and played 3 numbers (rows) until a few years ago, then added the number I played for Powerball to that list. So now I play 4 rows twice a week. ($8 weekly). I haven't won more than $10 from any one ticket yet, but that has me thinking that my time to win something more than $100 is coming soon. I have been playing Powerball I think since 1997. I usually only play one ticket twice a week, but when it gets up there, over $100 million, I play two or three tickets (Like I have today, for Saturday night). I have never won more than about $50 at one time from Powerball. I know this will sound a bit crazy, but I feel like I am due to win soon. I probably will ask you some questions I have concerning some of your advice, but I don't have time tonight.

Sincerely,

Joe

JoeCanWin

Quote: Originally posted by megan81 on Mar 7, 2013

Such a sad story! It's a good thing though that he is doing something proactive with his misfortunes.

On another note...

Welcome, JoeCanWin!

"Decide at which, net, millions dollar amount rollovers how many 18+ year-old people you'd care to add their name on your claim form, as either equal % or lesser % co-winners [never a good idea to flood them with monies after you've been paid by lottery headquarters -- when projecting future death tax/estate taxes ... why pay high tax% on something that you already paid high tax% to receive years earlier?  Plan for NO to double taxations spread years apart];"

Hi Megan,

Very nice to meet you Megan :)   

Thanks for some advice also. If I'm correct I'll need it by summer. I'll explain more about why later in a post. I like MM and Powerball, but haven't won more than $50 from any one ticket at any one time in all the years I have been playing. Oh, I forgot to tell "HaveABall" (so I'll tell you) I have been playing the same numbers since 1996 for Megamillions. Also, I've been playing the same number for Powerball since 1997.  I have NOT missed a drawing for MegaMillions yet! Bed time for me, school in the morning (I'm an old college student in my last semester at the local community college).

Bye now, and thanks again :)

Sincerely,

Joe

JoeCanWin

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Mar 7, 2013

I once told a tela marketer, that I wasn't the wife, I was the girlfriend, lol, silence followed

Hi Sully

Nice to meet you. From your telemarketer comment how you said you were "not the wife". At least you shut them up fast. Of course if they think they are losing you they do need to think of what to say next. I have to ask, did you claiming to not be the wife end it? Or did they try anyways?

I probably being a bit nosey ...

Bye now,

Joe

JoeCanWin

Hi Artist77,

I agree, some people are desperate, this guy is poorer now, but he did lose his wife. So, he may not grab the line again. He has lost his main incentive. Of course, I could be wrong...

Thanks, and nice to meet you also.

Sincerely,

Joe

Quote: Originally posted by megan81 on Mar 7, 2013

On another note...

Welcome, JoeCanWin!

You're welcome, megan81.  Per your request, I'll attempt to expand, philosophically on the two different ideas in the paragraph above, below:

If one prefers that they become the type of person who doesn't need to spend more than $5M over the remainder of their life, they (like me), might do the following upon winning the jackpot of either the MM or PB.  Create a notebook that indicates which 18+ year-old people you would like to share your jackpot win -- making them the co-winner name appearing on BOTH the ticket and the claim form (or create a C-Corporation with your name plus theirs, might be legal, even with under 18 year-old children that aren't your own children/dependants/adopteds).  [Your list gets longer, depending upon the net amount of that particular jackpot (if you look at past receivers these past 5 years of MM and PB jackpots, nobody has taken the higher annuity amount, all has been lump sum, one-time receivals).  Of course, at some point, perhaps 2-6 people, you cease adding loved one's names to the list of your 'co-winners.']  Keep the math simple, go to USAmega.com and hover over the amount box to see the apx. lump-sum amount.  Then deduct a conservative 48% ... this final, net dollar amount will let you see how many people you can easily, for example, give a % (equal or less then your own that you write on the lottery's claim form 'breakdown section').  My favorite, minimum amount to give one of my list's "co-winners" is at least $3M net; even if it means that I only get to keep remainder $3M net too.  For higher jackpots, I add an additional person, as long as we each net at least $3M.  Importantly, none of these people on my list knows that they are on my list (I don't want them to become regular weekly gamblers, and I don't want them to guess, incorrectly, that I want them to create their own "co-winner" list that contains my name on the #1 or #2 'top-of-brain' slot).   I would, certainly prefer to, personally receive at least $3.5M net though.

Second thought/philosophy, expanded, is:  why should MM or PB jackpot winners get involved with "after-their-claim form" "official Gifting people monies" up to the regularly changing IRS Gifting Guidelines (currently $5.25M max within their lifetime, not after death)!  Instead, my plan [since it's a philosophy, I'm okay with if nobody else agrees; even my beloved co-winner(s)] is to create co-winners on my claim form (give them permission to keep it, spend it all, or both ... even inform them that they should return to me if they are parted from the monies and I will help/house/feed them), die with either my near beginning net $3M+ [yet under the current $5.25M max threshold before either Federal or State Estate Taxes are applied at high 40% rate on the lottery winnings and after-tax investment profits which I already paid high taxes on in order to receive those monies] which would leave 1 person an inheritance, OR only perhaps $15K to cover my: trust lawyer, cremation, wake, funeral, burial, tombstone date engraver, and wake/funeral-luncheons).  This is the good 'ole "die with savings" philosophy under the IRS's death tax withdrawal threashold (currently, also, $5.25M ... yet be careful, as our House and Senate can agree to increase or decrease any year ... OR "die-near broke" philosophy that some folks, at any age appreciate).  Now the math: in the above paragraph, we subtracted a conservative 48% for jackpot lottery win income taxes.  The reason why we don't want to 'later officially IRS gift' over $5.25M is because I'd pay (never the receiver, unless arranged via the appripriate IRS form, but isn't that a slap in the face to the receiver since I already paid taxes to receive the monies and they'd be paying about the same tax again since they are a different receiver, it's a wierd/mean double tax) the Fed 40% in 'Over Gifting tax penalties!!!  On monies that I ALREADY paid income taxes on when I won the jackpot year(s) earlier ... mean double taxation, I despise our mean Federal lawmaker's century-long larceny.

Well, now you've heard more than enough of one MM and PB lottery jackpot win dreamer's philosophies of 'divvying up' the monies so that my co-winner(s) has an IMMEDIATE nice 'financial nut' and doesn't have to be stressfully, hoping that I keep loving, living, and thus showering them with cash throughout their 'peaks-and-valleys' lifetime.

Lastly, megan81, this philosophy works best if I decide that it is okay if my officially claim formed, co-winners gleefully accept the money and run into their dreams never looking back or contacting me again during their lifetime(s).  By the way, the above isn't spiritual or a religion; simply a philosophy.

Finally, if I, for example, instead, wanted to grow a: billion dollar financial account, big business, "regularly IRS Gift someone so that they 'stay-loving-me,' 'become-my-slave,' become-dependant-on-me,' or own multiple mansions/islands/gem mining companies, the entire above doings would be TERRIBLE/DEFEATING processes!  Upon learning of your jackpot win, quickly schedule long meetings with successful Tax Attorneys who work in the state you purchased your winning ticket in, and brainstorm your goals with them.  Quickly hire the best listener/most creative IRS Guidelines-finesing-to-your-custom-goal one!  Only afterwards should you complete the back of your lottery ticket and claim form (because lottery headquarters don't allow modifications afterwards).

jamella724

We need to be careful to avoid scammers! We have to keep in mind that if we didn't bet lottery in such area, there's no reason for us to win. So, we shouldn't be sending money just to claim the prize.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by jamella724 on Mar 8, 2013

We need to be careful to avoid scammers! We have to keep in mind that if we didn't bet lottery in such area, there's no reason for us to win. So, we shouldn't be sending money just to claim the prize.

I Agree! And remember that scammers can promise many different things, base on a persons needs. I have received many phone calls of promise over the years in exchange for cash. Never sent cash though.

mjoyg1123's avatarmjoyg1123

The nerve of some people to bother the elderly and take advantage of them!

Karma WILL get these scammers and when it happens it aint gonna be pretty,

thats for sure!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by jamella724 on Mar 8, 2013

We have to be equally careful of family, friends and neighbors who come out with hair brain schemes to scam us of our money too. 

I'm always surprised when the people we have no reason to think are crooks are crooks and think we are as dumb as rocks because we've  saved some money and they haven't and they want to spend it.

Tenaj's avatarTenaj

It's said that you won't get scammed if you didn't expect to get something for nothing, but there are elderly people who are just lonely and want to talk to anyone or have someone to pay attention to them.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by PrisonerSix on Mar 7, 2013

I'm the same way now. If I see a number I don't recognize, I either reject the call or just let it ring until voicemail picks up. I've been getting a lot of calls from "Cardholder Services" and other such scammers. They seem to hop from number to number and area code to area code. Sometimes I get several of them a day. If you answer once, they never leave you alone.

Check out 800notes.com

you can enter the phone # and see if others are getting the same call.

megan81's avatarmegan81

Hi Megan,

Very nice to meet you Megan :)   

Thanks for some advice also. If I'm correct I'll need it by summer. I'll explain more about why later in a post. I like MM and Powerball, but haven't won more than $50 from any one ticket at any one time in all the years I have been playing. Oh, I forgot to tell "HaveABall" (so I'll tell you) I have been playing the same numbers since 1996 for Megamillions. Also, I've been playing the same number for Powerball since 1997.  I have NOT missed a drawing for MegaMillions yet! Bed time for me, school in the morning (I'm an old college student in my last semester at the local community college).

Bye now, and thanks again :)

Sincerely,

Joe

Stay focused on school (I'm in school, too--graduate school)!!! I hope your major is in finances, especially if you're planning on winning the MM or PB lottery jackpots :)

megan81's avatarmegan81

HaveABall---

WOW! Thank you!!! Nice Philosophy!!! I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me in detail!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Like most people, I need extra money, but I don't take from others.

This is sad.

Mad

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Mar 8, 2013

I Agree! And remember that scammers can promise many different things, base on a persons needs. I have received many phone calls of promise over the years in exchange for cash. Never sent cash though.

Right. They said i won a case of Red Stripe but had to send $500 for shipping.

JoeCanWin

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Mar 7, 2013

Congratulations on joining, JoeCanWin.  We members have a lot to write, some is accurate and some hasn't been triple checked for accuracy before being typed.

The main ideas, for someone newly committed to playing the two largest, multi-state on-line lottery games here in the good 'ole U. S. of A. are:

- Don't spend more than $45/month to participate in 1 row, for every drawing;

- Allow two weeks to pass before submitting your claim form with your winning lottery jackpot ticket, allow up to another 6 weeks to receive the electronic transfer into your checking/financial account (in case your or a co-winner's social security # is encumbered by: back property taxes, past IRS fees, spousal support, child support, judgements, pre-paid food-stamps debit card electronic transfer, etc. -- which the lottery headquarters pays before also deducting high partial federal income taxes, state income taxes, and municipality income taxes.  Certainly don't be sad and cheap about it, just be glad that the lottery headquarters is making all those final payments and charity services cancellations on your behalf at no additional cost or anxiety to you.)  If you find that you still owe a debt/overpayment that was missed, pay it immediately before spending monies on entertainments/furnitures/housings/transportations.

- Consider it a multi-year playing endeavor (that's what most of the jackpot winners report as their participation);

- After you win a jackpot, cease playing to win later on-line jackpots (nobody/syndicate has ever won jackpot of two or both the MM or PB on-line lotteries).  Be happy for other people to win the MM and PB jackpots.  Don't seek out past MM and PB jackpot winners to get financial advice (their winning streak may have ended or they could reveal your name to the press);

- Decide at which, net, millions dollar amount rollovers how many 18+ year-old people you'd care to add their name on your claim form, as either equal % or lesser % co-winners [never a good idea to flood them with monies after you've been paid by lottery headquarters -- when projecting future death tax/estate taxes ... why pay high tax% on something that you already paid high tax% to receive years earlier?  Plan for NO to double taxations spread years apart];

- Screen all phone calls, that you don't recognize, to voicemail.  If the caller is legit, the person will leave a message ... eventually.  Later, you should peruse messages and decide which to return.  Hint, don't accept free trips, free air tickets, calls from officials indicating that they have no friends and are therefore calling you to help them do something illegal within their job, such as transporting a dead/dying person's monetary funds or stocks to your name and you paying fees or wiring a % with them as a fraud team partner;

- When you win the on-line game, don't tell friends/family-children (that way they don't accidentally tell other blabbermouths, which could burn you rapidly), try to claim anonymously, excuse yourself from the place your ticket was purchased, any lottery retailer's checking machines, AND meet-the-media event(s), or ask your lawyer to check if they'd be allowed to attend the meet-the-media event in your place (if your lottery headquarter's has made manditory) and possibly write a matching trust's name on the back of the ticket AND the claim form; and

- Unceasingly work to enjoy the present day and all that it brings, even if it's not yet a big lottery win. Banana

Call me crazy but If I win a JP I will keep on playing, not sure why but I think I will. I have no kids, no wife/ex-wife, not even a girlfriend now. So, the money is about 60% all mine (Uncle Sam wants his share). I'm tempted to build a huge mansion, but then the property taxes would be... ouch! I thought about paying lawyers and accountants too, but they might want a big bite. Will they want more than they are worth? I wish someone actually knew this stuff. I figure, tell only the ones I have to, my relatives will have to know. The media (I live in MA) so I have no chance at being anonymous with my win. I just figure, don't hire all those legal people, save that money and just pay the taxes I will have to pay anyway. My simple way may be easier for me. Will it cost me more? I don't know. But it will be less stressful. I say thatbecause I don't look forward to meeting people that want $100+ or even $200+ an hour just to talk to me about MY money. I'd rather just pay up (The taxes). I won't invest in the stock market. I have 0 faith in that. Why? Because I'm not some Wallstreet insider. I'd rather just put my $$ in the bank and open my little restaurant. And, Never, ever, put it ALL on the line. Could be a huge mistake. The good news, I don't drink or smoke, or do illegal drugs. (I'm gettin old). So I won't do the stupid stuff I would have done had I won when I was younger (or like buying a jet or helicopter, you know, the big toys). I think that  thinking about what to do with a lot of won Lottery money, in case I ever win a lot is a good idea. I have also read a lot of Lottery winners horror stories, so them ruining their lives won't be totally in vain, I'm sure I'm not the only one to take head from their mistakes. I will avoid a lot of pitfalls by thinking ahead. Ok, I dreamed enough for 1 day.

Quote: Originally posted by JoeCanWin on Mar 8, 2013

Call me crazy but If I win a JP I will keep on playing, not sure why but I think I will. I have no kids, no wife/ex-wife, not even a girlfriend now. So, the money is about 60% all mine (Uncle Sam wants his share). I'm tempted to build a huge mansion, but then the property taxes would be... ouch! I thought about paying lawyers and accountants too, but they might want a big bite. Will they want more than they are worth? I wish someone actually knew this stuff. I figure, tell only the ones I have to, my relatives will have to know. The media (I live in MA) so I have no chance at being anonymous with my win. I just figure, don't hire all those legal people, save that money and just pay the taxes I will have to pay anyway. My simple way may be easier for me. Will it cost me more? I don't know. But it will be less stressful. I say thatbecause I don't look forward to meeting people that want $100+ or even $200+ an hour just to talk to me about MY money. I'd rather just pay up (The taxes). I won't invest in the stock market. I have 0 faith in that. Why? Because I'm not some Wallstreet insider. I'd rather just put my $$ in the bank and open my little restaurant. And, Never, ever, put it ALL on the line. Could be a huge mistake. The good news, I don't drink or smoke, or do illegal drugs. (I'm gettin old). So I won't do the stupid stuff I would have done had I won when I was younger (or like buying a jet or helicopter, you know, the big toys). I think that  thinking about what to do with a lot of won Lottery money, in case I ever win a lot is a good idea. I have also read a lot of Lottery winners horror stories, so them ruining their lives won't be totally in vain, I'm sure I'm not the only one to take head from their mistakes. I will avoid a lot of pitfalls by thinking ahead. Ok, I dreamed enough for 1 day.

Once one notices that their ticket has won the jackpot, they would quickly seek out a few Tax Attorneys for free consultations.  If a few of these tax attorneys have no interest in a big jackpot winner's fine topics and questions, there are a few others who will do it for free ... and even enjoy the opportunity to discuss tax law during the free consultations/brainstorming hour. 

Besides, it's the ultimate conversation, idea mongering.  Most intelligent, creative, dreams sharing tax attorneys would understand that they would later get paid when you were forced to return to invoke their thrilling-to-you-ideas into your: joined plans on paper, then soon estate will and trust planning, whether to buy a house(s), car(s), umbrella insurance, in your name or corporation name, separately or together, for lowest liability or whatever reasons your tax attorney enlightens you with.  You'd gladly pay them $3.5K, or so, to jointly perform all the trust funding efforts within your first 10 or so months of winning, since it's necessary, yet hugely wordy and papery stuff that keeps one out of probate upon death (we all die, why not have the ultimate plan already in place, so that the estate executor merely has to read one's orderly list of bulleted items to invoke).  Only hire someone that you like very much, and appears to enjoy adjusting your ideas to the best advantage to the tax laws; as you'd probably also hire them to co-prepare/advise/plan your annual tax returns for the remainder of your life.

Cheers

boxofrox's avatarboxofrox

Quote: Originally posted by mjoyg1123 on Mar 8, 2013

The nerve of some people to bother the elderly and take advantage of them!

Karma WILL get these scammers and when it happens it aint gonna be pretty,

thats for sure!

I Agree!

ZANBAB1

at 81  this  man did not learn to much.about life of the crimminal

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by ZANBAB1 on Mar 12, 2013

at 81  this  man did not learn to much.about life of the crimminal

At 81 his mind could be failing him. What?

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Mar 12, 2013

At 81 his mind could be failing him. What?

Today's 81 is the new 51.

Maybe all he really needs is some Geritol and Viagra.   Dance

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Mar 12, 2013

I have heard that prune juice will cover BOTH of those needs.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

you would knowGreen laugh

Puke

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Mar 12, 2013

you would knowGreen laugh

They don't call me "the prune juice stud" for nothing you knowCheers

Ronnie316

Puke

Do you get your photos posted?

mcginnin56

I Agree!  Prune juice has also been shown to cure many types of cancer, improve memory, boost your I.Q. and grow back severed limbs.  Thumbs Up

Ronnie316

I Agree!  Prune juice has also been shown to cure many types of cancer, improve memory, boost your I.Q. and grow back severed limbs.  Thumbs Up

So in essence it answers the question that, THERE IS A GOD...............Yes Nod

mcginnin56

So in essence it answers the question that, THERE IS A GOD...............Yes Nod

Blue Angel But is there a Pope. What?

Ronnie316

Ima post my photos.......................

Ronnie316

Not today............. Sorry Charle.

Do you get your photos posted?

yeah No Nod i can see them just fine it's the other that's the PROBLEM

but i'm not going to worry about it, i think i am on to something BIG!Banana

mcginnin56

The average age of a Pope is 81, does this mean he will become the next victim of a lottery scam.  What?

Ima post my photos.......................

go for it  ronnie, you might help the old guy out if he read this and see's your numbers

God Bless youBlue Angel

Ronnie316

yeah No Nod i can see them just fine it's the other that's the PROBLEM

but i'm not going to worry about it, i think i am on to something BIG!Banana

I will share with you if you share with me What?

what does this pope do anywayWhat? why do we need him?

mcginnin56

what does this pope do anywayWhat? why do we need him?

If it weren't for the Pope, we would never of had the Pope-mobile.....duhhhh.   Disapprove

I will share with you if you share with me What?

you will know soon enough when i post my tickets: well first i have to figure out this scanner it has a mind of its own the most expensive FAX: SCANNER: COPIER: PRINTER: is not always better Cussing Face

Ronnie316

you will know soon enough when i post my tickets: well first i have to figure out this scanner it has a mind of its own the most expensive FAX: SCANNER: COPIER: PRINTER: is not always better Cussing Face

Camera is BETTER. Photo tic, put on computer, upload to Picaca https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos copy image, paste to post......... Easy.

Ronnie316

WOW! Thats BIG!

Ronnie316

lol........... I can do BETTER...........

Camera is BETTER. Photo tic, put on computer, upload to Picaca https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos copy image, paste to post......... Easy.

i did that Camera their in the Picture folder just cant get them out to me.Crying lets change the subject it's upsetting for me i will figure it out someday

Ronnie316

i did that Camera their in the Picture folder just cant get them out to me.Crying lets change the subject it's upsetting for me i will figure it out someday

You may also want to buy a lottery ticket "someday"

lol........... I can do BETTER...........

You may also want to buy a lottery ticket "someday"

I Agree!

Ronnie316

I Agree!

Disney

Ronnie316

mcginnin56

Simply ban senior citizens from answering the phone or responding to mail solicitations, problem solved.  Idea

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Mar 13, 2013

Simply ban senior citizens from answering the phone or responding to mail solicitations, problem solved.  Idea

It's official you must now be named CSA ( Certified Senior Advisor) of the year! Dance

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Mar 13, 2013

It's official you must now be named CSA ( Certified Senior Advisor) of the year! Dance

I was thinking more like the CSA of the century.  Star Hyper Star

I was thinking more like the CSA of the century.  Star Hyper Star

whatever makes you happy Smiley

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Mar 13, 2013

whatever makes you happy Smiley

Thank you!  Smile

Thank you!  Smile