Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why can't I win much on scratch tickets?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 4 years ago by maringoman.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
Oklahoma
United States
Member #82391
November 12, 2009
6305 Posts
Posted: March 14, 2013, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

Only $500,000 for a $20 scratcher?

In MA you can get $1 million from a $5 scratcher, and $10 million from a $20 scratcher.

We have a $20 scratcher in NH, which only pays $1 million however.   Sad

Be glad you don't live in Oklahoma our largest scratch-off is $50,000-$40,000 for a $5 ticket Mad

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
    Member #122468
    February 1, 2012
    530 Posts
    Posted: March 15, 2013, 9:39 am - IP Logged

Be glad you don't live in Oklahoma our largest scratch-off is $50,000-$40,000 for a $5 ticket Mad

Hi dallascowboyfan,

I feel bad for you guys in Oklahoma I didn't know that your largest scratch off was 50K. It would be much smarter for the lottery in your state to have a 1 million prize on a scratch ticket since more people would be playing hoping for that win and therefore more towns and communities would be able to get the lottery money. Even though we have good prizes on our scratchers it's limited to just a small number of people. Even on the new scratch tickets that came out recently, on the 5 dollar scratcher just 6 people will win the top prize of 1 million and the rest of the prizes on that ticket are not that great. It's always the needle in the haystack of finding that one winning ticket.  Still our state is better than Oklahoma. Do you ever go to other states to play?

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      42155 Posts
      Posted: March 15, 2013, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Hi sully16,

I check my lottery's website all the time to see what prizes are left. What I really wish is that our website would show how many smaller prizes are left but it doesn't. I mean if I knew there were still thousands left of prizes like 200, 500 etc. then I might be more likely to play certain games. It only tells you how many prizes are left for 500 K, 1million etc. but not for the lower tier prizes.

I wish they would tell us how many tickets were being printed.

HyperBe Happy.

United States
        Member #122468
        February 1, 2012
        530 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2013, 11:13 am - IP Logged

I wish they would tell us how many tickets were being printed.

Hi sully16,

On my states website they do say how many tickets are printed for each scratch ticket.  As I had stated before, just wish they would give a breakdown of how many prizes are left for each dollar amount. I still want to know all the prizes that are left even for the 100 and 200 prizes but that isn't the case for my states lottery just still show only what's left of the major prizes.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: March 15, 2013, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I've been playing scratch tickets for almost 3 years now and there have only been a few times that I won 100 dollars on a scratch ticket and once won 200 dollars. The majority of the time I win nothing or just the face value of the ticket. I realize the majority of the people never win much on scratchers but when I look at my states lottery web site and see the number of winners per game that they have for some decent money it suprises me that I still never win any decent amounts. I get the fact that the lottery is random and with scratch tickets they probably only have a certain amount of winners in a book of tickets. Even when I got all the prizes on a 2 dollar ticket for example the prize was still lousy.  When I play I'd be happy to win any decent amount but it gets so frustrating winning nothing or just face value of the ticket. The last 6 months I've cut down on my spending of tickets but can't seem to go cold turkey and still play. I still tend to buy some tickets and wait a week or so to scratch them just to hold onto that dream of winning something. I'm not expecting to win a million (though would be amazing) I'd be happy with any decent amount, heck 500 dollars would be great. Couldn't the lottery be a little more generous with their prizes so people would not always feel like a sucker when they play. Okay I get that noone is making me buy tickets that's my doing but still feel like it's always a losing proposition.  I'm not able to stop playing because I continue to hold onto my dream of someday winning but just wish I could win something every now and then that was decent.

It's very simple. There is no mystery about scratch tickets, at least to me.

Look at the odds table printed for any scratch game. If the odds are 1-in-1000 odds for a $100 win on a $5 game, well then you might have to buy 1000 tickets, or spend $5000, in order to be likely (~63%) to get that prize. Even if you spend that amount or even twice that amount, it's still not guaranteed that you will win that prize. Sounds harsh, but that's the reality. And the top prize may be around 1-in-1,000,000 odds so that's probably out of your budget to chase it, so don't.

If you win a prize early, well before the odds number states, be happy! You're winning! And don't fret about people winning big prizes a lot. Odds are that they are spending a lot too. Way more than you.

But with scratch tickets, at least you'll hit many more smaller intermediate prizes along the way, at whatever rate is printed as overall odds, typically about 1-in-4 on average.

United States
            Member #111442
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Posted: March 15, 2013, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

Sad    What?   Sad

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: March 16, 2013, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

Only $500,000 for a $20 scratcher?

In MA you can get $1 million from a $5 scratcher, and $10 million from a $20 scratcher.

We have a $20 scratcher in NH, which only pays $1 million however.   Sad

Playing the MA lottery scratch tickets is the most efficient way to sperate yourself from your money. The body language of the victims as they finish scratching off a loser $20 tickets tells you everything you need to know. The thread title also says it all.

That money's gone fo ever