Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 4:32 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why do Quick Picks that I get either give me a bunch of numbers in a row or numbers from last draw?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 4 years ago by shyguitar.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2013, 9:28 am - IP Logged

Hi again,

Okay so the other day I'm buying 1 QP for Mass Cash and then the cashier misheard me when I asked for a scratch ticket and printed out another Mass Cash so I took the ticket anyway.  Later in the day when I checked my tickets I noticed that both tickets had 3 numbers in a row on them (example 10, 11, 12)  This has happened before on PB and MM tickets. Why can't a QP have numbers that are not all in a row. Even though the lottery is random when I see something like this I know the chance of winning the big one is even more unlikely. Why can't QP truly be random. I either get numbers in a row or numbers that were from the previous drawing. Okay I realize that I always have the option to pick my numbers but that would just be me picking any numbers and spending time looking at the numbers that have won in the weeks or days past (depending on what kind of draw ticket I'm purchasing).  Sometimes I wonder if there is some conspiracy going on with the lottery and QP (okay my paranoia is a bit high today, lol). Have other people experienced this with QP's?

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19964 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2013, 9:38 am - IP Logged

Hi again,

Okay so the other day I'm buying 1 QP for Mass Cash and then the cashier misheard me when I asked for a scratch ticket and printed out another Mass Cash so I took the ticket anyway.  Later in the day when I checked my tickets I noticed that both tickets had 3 numbers in a row on them (example 10, 11, 12)  This has happened before on PB and MM tickets. Why can't a QP have numbers that are not all in a row. Even though the lottery is random when I see something like this I know the chance of winning the big one is even more unlikely. Why can't QP truly be random. I either get numbers in a row or numbers that were from the previous drawing. Okay I realize that I always have the option to pick my numbers but that would just be me picking any numbers and spending time looking at the numbers that have won in the weeks or days past (depending on what kind of draw ticket I'm purchasing).  Sometimes I wonder if there is some conspiracy going on with the lottery and QP (okay my paranoia is a bit high today, lol). Have other people experienced this with QP's?

hi sg, yes this happens sometimes when i get quick picks but sometimes i play numbers like that and have won on them, dont worry everyone knows the lottery is random Wink Wink

Good Luck Lep

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: March 13, 2013, 9:43 am - IP Logged

hi sg, yes this happens sometimes when i get quick picks but sometimes i play numbers like that and have won on them, dont worry everyone knows the lottery is random Wink Wink

Good Luck Lep

Hi helpmewin,

Interesting that you have played that many numbers in a row and won on them.  When I pick my numbers I never pick them next to each other. It's great that you have won that way though.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
        California
        United States
        Member #112364
        June 17, 2011
        661 Posts
        Posted: March 13, 2013, 11:11 am - IP Logged

Hi again,

Your chance of winning is the same whether your numbers are in sequential order or not. However, if your numbers are sequential and you win, you are more likely to have to share the jackpot with those who pick the same sequential numbers.

The winning numbers for Fantasy 5 1/14/2013 drawing are 16 17 18 19 20
        The jackpot was 57,043 dollars but the price was split among 29 winners. Each kept 1,967 dollars. That's very unusual that we see that many jackpot winners but 1,967 dollars is still much higher than average lottery players get.

United States
          Member #128790
          June 2, 2012
          5431 Posts
          Posted: March 13, 2013, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Hi again,

This is exactly why I stopped buying QP's for Fanatsy Five in florida. I just pick my own from now on.

Seems most of the time when I used to buy them, I'd get 2 or 3 numbers from the previous night's winning numbers. If it happened once in a while I could understand, but the regular frequency of repeat numbers raised red flags with me so I stopped.

United States
            Member #122468
            February 1, 2012
            530 Posts
            Posted: March 13, 2013, 11:56 am - IP Logged

This is exactly why I stopped buying QP's for Fanatsy Five in florida. I just pick my own from now on.

Seems most of the time when I used to buy them, I'd get 2 or 3 numbers from the previous night's winning numbers. If it happened once in a while I could understand, but the regular frequency of repeat numbers raised red flags with me so I stopped.

Hi onlymoney,

Glad to see I'm not the only one this keeps happening to. For Powerball tonight I'm going to try to pick my numbers, can't be any worse than the bad QP's I keep getting, lol.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #74096
              May 2, 2009
              23238 Posts
              Posted: March 13, 2013, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

Hi onlymoney,

Glad to see I'm not the only one this keeps happening to. For Powerball tonight I'm going to try to pick my numbers, can't be any worse than the bad QP's I keep getting, lol.

I've had great luck with quick picks in the past, so I don't write them off but also notice what you say here.

I've had $5 blocks of quick picks where many of the numbers are the same....you get 3 or 4 of the same
              number combinations split between 2 or 3 lines...a few times I've noticed the SAME number on 3 or 4 of the
              lines of 5 plays.
              Odd.

They say it's totally random and maybe they are telling the truth but what is their definition of random when
              it comes to the quick pick pool? Do they only use a small pool of numbers? Do they make sure that 2/3 of the
              5 or 6 are included in the next draws pool?
              If they have a hand in selecting which numbers are used for quick picks, that is not as random as someone
              would believe. Why couldn't the system be programmed to only offer certain numbers for quick picks?
              Who actually would know...??...people from across the state aren't going to compare quick picks and won't
              know if their ticket has the same, say, 2, 43, 35 that the next guy and the next guy and the next guy does.
              (the only way we could know that is if a thread were started with players of the big games posting their qp
              numbers for the next draw - now there's an idea to test a theory/suspicion ...Idea)
              You can call random, random but when the random pool of numbers is limited or set, how random is it?

I'll see this sometimes with pick 3 quick picks...I usually get 5 @ $1 straight....then copy them boxed. There have
              been times where I got the same number...and that's out of 1,000 combos. Funny that would happen on just 5
              picks.

I just suspect that the quick picks are not as completely random as they could be. The world may never know...

010 122 963 824 684 584 0000 6837 4061 1207 2319 4901 1009 1347 1537

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19901 Posts
                Posted: March 13, 2013, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

You can use the LP quick picks generator and only play the ones that look like winners.  That way you'll be getting the best of both worlds, quick picks and winners. Wink Thumbs Up

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10392 Posts
                  Posted: March 13, 2013, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

Shyguitar,

Here's a quick pick I played for the Illinois lotto, a 6/52 game (2 lines for $1):

A. 9   10   11   44   47   50 QP

B. 01   08   10    20   24   30 QP

Line A has three numbers in sequence.

Line B doesn't have any of the numbers from 31 through 52.

Granted every combination has the same chance, but going from the OP of this thread, which line would you be more comfortable with?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3316 Posts
                    Posted: March 13, 2013, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

last QP's i bought 2 lines on same ticket, 3 of the 7 numbers where repeated, i thought that was a little much.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

sully16's avatar - sharan
                      Ringleader
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #81740
                      October 28, 2009
                      42115 Posts
                      Posted: March 13, 2013, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

Shyguitar,

Here's a quick pick I played for the Illinois lotto, a 6/52 game (2 lines for $1):

Granted every combination has the same chance, but going from the OP of this thread, which line would you be more comfortable with?

I think we should all play them.

HyperBe Happy.

Tatototman65's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                        Member #138729
                        February 4, 2013
                        2875 Posts
                        Posted: March 13, 2013, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Shyguitar,

After doing some very small research, I'd be more comfortable with Line A after seeing that it actually hit 4/6 (twice) as opposed to line B (3/6 only). At first, I wouldn't be happy with Line A, but seeing as it would have won me more money than line B, I'd be more happy.

Smile

United States
                          Member #122468
                          February 1, 2012
                          530 Posts
                          Posted: March 14, 2013, 9:16 am - IP Logged

You can use the LP quick picks generator and only play the ones that look like winners.  That way you'll be getting the best of both worlds, quick picks and winners. Wink Thumbs Up

Hi RJOh,

Thanks for the heads up. I think once I tried to do the LP quick pick generator but had no luck. Will try it again at some point.

United States
                            Member #122468
                            February 1, 2012
                            530 Posts
                            Posted: March 14, 2013, 9:20 am - IP Logged

Shyguitar,

Hi Coin Toss,

So it happened to you as well with line A. I just think it's ridiculous to have a QP end up giving a person 3 numbers exactly in a row. As I mentioned this has happened on various QP's.  I know that noone is making us do a QP but for the sheer convenience of it is why I've done QP's. Now I have to rethink my playing of QP's or not play as much. I really do not feel it's random because why do I get many of the same numbers from the last drawing on a QP or 3 numbers in a row. If it was completely random I would get more numbers spread out and that's not happening.

United States
                              Member #122468
                              February 1, 2012
                              530 Posts
                              Posted: March 14, 2013, 9:22 am - IP Logged

last QP's i bought 2 lines on same ticket, 3 of the 7 numbers where repeated, i thought that was a little much.

Hi savagegoose,

I hate when that happens. The few times I've bought more than one line the same thing has happened to me. When will the QP's be truly random and not give numbers from previous drawings or 3 numbers in a row, ugh!