Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 7:00 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much do people spend buying scratch tickets?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 4 years ago by BreakingBad94.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: March 18, 2013, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

It all depends on each person's disposable income. Only spend what you can afford to lose. Treat it as your entertainment budget, like it's not coming back.

I dunno what average would be, but $5 to $10 a day would not seem out of the ordinary. I maybe do around twice that.

What would you spend each week on going out to movies/shows? Or on golf/sports? or on eating out? And don't scratch sad/mad. Don't get emotional, unless you win big, then you can celebrate. But don't get angry, just walk away instead and come back another day.

People that win more probably spend more. And most people do not reveal all their losses, only their wins. What they spend is their business afterall.

Hi Jon D,

I agree with only spending what one can afford.  Since I'm not someone who is a shopper (other than for groceries or essentials) I figure it's my entertainment money by playing the lottery. I agree with your last statement of "people that win more probably spend more".  I know that some people here when I've asked how much they spend (since they always mention their winning tickets) have never answered me. I'm assuming some people would prefer not to say how much they spend if it's a lot.

Jim777's avatar - e13dc2c8 9163-4600-9f1d-a2456b1f5cab_zpsmbkn

United States
    Member #95537
    August 12, 2010
    54 Posts
    Posted: April 4, 2013, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

$40 each week for past 1 year on scratchers..Most I have won is $50 :-(

Same here, I started playing scratch tickets about a year ago when my wife purchased one on a whim and lost. Then I said what the hell and I bought one $5 ticket and won $35... That was the start. From there I began winning small amounts, sometimes $70 or more and making more than I spent but then of corse I would spend $40 or so on tickets and only won $8.. 

For the past few months I've been spending around $40 a day on scratchoffs but only because I've been winning around $30-$50 per $40 purchase so when I "spend" $40 I'm really spending the $35 I won + $5 of my own out of pocket money... Then I win another $30 and buy another $40 Worth of tickets. 

My personal key is to ONLY spend $40 on tickets At a time. I NEVER scratch them at the store or in the car. I go home and take my time scratching them. 

Self Control is a big factor. I have occasionally went back out in the same day and cashed in my winners to buy more but this often results in losing everything. 

I had several strategies for buying tickets such as purchasing 10 tickets from the same roll, etc. but after a year of scratching I've found I win more when I just buy one or two of each ticket and buy several different tickets, a few $1, few $2, few $5.

BreakingBad94's avatar - tumblr m7404b0Zj51qieieio1_250.jpg
      Alpharetta, GA
      United States
      Member #140980
      April 1, 2013
      88 Posts
      Posted: April 4, 2013, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

I use to buy $3 dollars a day but now I quit doing that. Maybe $5 a week. I honestly am getting into the drawings more than the instant tickets.