Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Virginia scratch off-bar code doesn't match...

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 4 years ago by redhot7.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #140348
March 16, 2013
4 Posts
Posted: March 16, 2013, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

I purchased a Virginia lotto scratch off which after scratching revealed a $20 prize. I had a number which matched one of the winning numbers. I attempted to redeem this at two seperate retailers who told me the barcode was coming up as prize over $600 must be redeem at a Virginia Lottery office. I am going Monday morning, but in the mean time, any ideas what could be going on ?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: March 16, 2013, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Virginia?

They'll give you the $20 and say it was a computer glitch.

No matter what it really was.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4974 Posts
      Posted: March 16, 2013, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

Virginia?

They'll give you the $20 and say it was a computer glitch.

No matter what it really was.

lol  Yea when I reported to them about non working play slips last year (a couple of places by me had old ones for a month and they did not work..I figured out what happened on my own and the clerks were clueless), they did not even respond.

J'aime La France.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: March 16, 2013, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

lol  Yea when I reported to them about non working play slips last year (a couple of places by me had old ones for a month and they did not work..I figured out what happened on my own and the clerks were clueless), they did not even respond.

Yeah, they're bad.

The customer is always wrong with the Virginia Lottery.

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: March 16, 2013, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

I purchased a Virginia lotto scratch off which after scratching revealed a $20 prize. I had a number which matched one of the winning numbers. I attempted to redeem this at two seperate retailers who told me the barcode was coming up as prize over $600 must be redeem at a Virginia Lottery office. I am going Monday morning, but in the mean time, any ideas what could be going on ?

Hopefully you got it wrong and you did win something over $600....I hate to get your hopes up though.....but i hope you did win big...

United States
            Member #140348
            March 16, 2013
            4 Posts
            Posted: March 16, 2013, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

Ha! Seriously doubt it. I'm assumming $20 or an entirely new ticket. Both bretailers said they go by the bar code not the printed portion. I seriously doubt that also. If that were the case I'm sure people would be getting all their apparently losing tickets scanned. Oh well, just wondering what some other folks thought. I'm sure I'll be walking out with a wink, smile and 20 bucks Monday.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              4974 Posts
              Posted: March 16, 2013, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, they're bad.

The customer is always wrong with the Virginia Lottery.

Plus they got rid of the lottery fairy. Strike 2.  I almost always try to buy my PB and MM tickets in DC.

J'aime La France.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                NY
                United States
                Member #121961
                January 21, 2012
                3159 Posts
                Posted: March 16, 2013, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

They might send it to a investigator to see what happened.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: March 16, 2013, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

Plus they got rid of the lottery fairy. Strike 2.  I almost always try to buy my PB and MM tickets in DC.

Yep, the only reason I play there is cuzza the real ball drawings unlike Tennessee which has the fake computer drawings.

But if you ever have a complaint in Va, you're wrong and they're right. No discussion. And the investigators are friends with a lot of the clerks, so don't expect too much help if there's ever a problem.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                    California
                    United States
                    Member #112364
                    June 17, 2011
                    661 Posts
                    Posted: March 16, 2013, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Do the letters under the numbers match too? The letters from the winning numbers and your numbers must match too. If they don't, it's a misprint and you may or may not get your prize.

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                      United States
                      Member #130213
                      July 9, 2012
                      387 Posts
                      Posted: March 17, 2013, 1:04 am - IP Logged

Same thing happened to me in NY, I know I won only $5 but it scanned for $20 and they paid $20. Imagine the worst, a losing ticket that is discarded but yet had it been scanned, would show up as a Jackpot !

Talk about unclaimed prizes. There are only so much scenarios it can be done... Hide the tickets to unknown locations, Print Winners as Losers so they dont get redeemed.

I would take a photo snapshot, post it in LP and hopefully, someone will join you in a class action suit against the Lottery !

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                        California
                        United States
                        Member #112364
                        June 17, 2011
                        661 Posts
                        Posted: March 17, 2013, 1:10 am - IP Logged

Same thing happened to me in NY, I know I won only $5 but it scanned for $20 and they paid $20. Imagine the worst, a losing ticket that is discarded but yet had it been scanned, would show up as a Jackpot !

Talk about unclaimed prizes. There are only so much scenarios it can be done... Hide the tickets to unknown locations, Print Winners as Losers so they dont get redeemed.

I would take a photo snapshot, post it in LP and hopefully, someone will join you in a class action suit against the Lottery !

I don't know about NY, but in CA you could check if a losing ticket is really a losing ticket by entering the serial numbers at the CA Lottery second chance page. If the ticket is rejected and you type in the numbers correctly, then it is not a losing ticket but a winning ticket.

United States
                          Member #140348
                          March 16, 2013
                          4 Posts
                          Posted: March 17, 2013, 8:27 am - IP Logged

Either way, I am sure they will just pay the 20.  Strange though.   Two VA lottery scanners coming up as more than 600? I know only one number matched for 20 bucks. Even the three random letters around the scratched bar code indicate a $20 winner. Why the  incorrect message ? Who knows......

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                            Los Angeles, California
                            United States
                            Member #103813
                            January 5, 2011
                            1530 Posts
                            Posted: March 17, 2013, 9:35 am - IP Logged

Either way, I am sure they will just pay the 20.  Strange though.   Two VA lottery scanners coming up as more than 600? I know only one number matched for 20 bucks. Even the three random letters around the scratched bar code indicate a $20 winner. Why the  incorrect message ? Who knows......

Post a picture of the ticket, let LP members apply another set of eyes to see what is going on. Not that you misread it, but to see in what way a misprint would cause that discrepancy.

If misprints are as rare as the lottery guys claim the in video posted above: 0.00000000146% then you have a truly rare ticket, more rare than a PB or MM winner!

Every year, millions of dollars in winning scratch tickets are thrown away. We don't know if they are mis-reads by players, or mis-prints of the ticket itself. You might even have a valid claim, if the lottery code corresponds to a large >$600 win in their database, but the ticket failed to print the complete matching numbers to show it in the play area.

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #130213
                              July 9, 2012
                              387 Posts
                              Posted: March 17, 2013, 9:40 am - IP Logged

Post a picture of the ticket, let LP members apply another set of eyes to see what is going on. Not that you misread it, but to see in what way a misprint would cause that discrepancy.

If misprints are as rare as the lottery guys claim the in video posted above: 0.00000000146% then you have a truly rare ticket, more rare than a PB or MM winner!

Every year, millions of dollars in winning scratch tickets are thrown away. We don't know if they are mis-reads by players, or mis-prints of the ticket itself. You might even have a valid claim, if the lottery code corresponds to a large >$600 win in their database, but the ticket failed to print the complete matching numbers to show it in the play area.

Yes post a picture, I want to see it. As I said, the same thing happened to me in NY. I was expecting $5 but got $20. In my case however, I can't get back the ticket as the retailers in Bronx are very busy.