Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 9:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Hacked random number generator?

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Integrity.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
California
United States
Member #140591
March 23, 2013
6 Posts
Posted: March 23, 2013, 2:35 am - IP Logged

There were 29 winning jackpot tickets sold Jan. 14, 2013 in the California Fantasy 5 Lottery. And this was for a minimal starting Jackpot. The jackpot was hit the night before (01/13/2013).  The maximum number of winning tickets is normally 1 to 5 usually on the high end when the Jackpot hasn't been hit in several days.  The odds of this happening are astonomical.  Am I right to suspect fowl play and fixing the number generated?

Also I understand that the odds of selecting a 5 number combination in a 5/39 lottery are 575,757 to 1  It was strange that the number that night was comprized of 5 consecutive numbers: 16,17,18,19,20.  The first time in over 7,000 prior draws (35 possible consecutive unique combinations out of over 575K combinations).  Could one oddity have something to do with the other oddity?

I have yet to get a reply from the California Lottery Commission from my emails asking if there has been an investigation into this Drawing.  What do you think?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19828 Posts
    Posted: March 23, 2013, 2:56 am - IP Logged

Isn't the combination 16-17-18-19-20 one of the possible 575,757 possible combinations?   With only 7,000 prior drawings there are still at least 568,757 possible combinations that haven't come up yet.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
      Nutley, New Jersey
      United States
      Member #131058
      August 1, 2012
      875 Posts
      Posted: March 23, 2013, 3:59 am - IP Logged

16-17-18-19-20 the numbers are sorted from least to greatest.

01/14/2013 Draw# 7009 20  16  18  17  19  (draw order)

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
        Economy class
        Belgium
        Member #123700
        February 27, 2012
        4035 Posts
        Posted: March 23, 2013, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

16-17-18-19-20 the numbers are sorted from least to greatest.

01/14/2013 Draw# 7009 20  16  18  17  19  (draw order)

LOL

Put your lottery masterguide book on fire!

Nutley, New Jersey
          United States
          Member #131058
          August 1, 2012
          875 Posts
          Posted: March 23, 2013, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

LOL

Put your lottery masterguide book on fire!

i don't have a lottery masterguide book. The draw order is on the california lottery website.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23269 Posts
            Posted: March 23, 2013, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

There were 29 winning jackpot tickets sold Jan. 14, 2013 in the California Fantasy 5 Lottery. And this was for a minimal starting Jackpot. The jackpot was hit the night before (01/13/2013).  The maximum number of winning tickets is normally 1 to 5 usually on the high end when the Jackpot hasn't been hit in several days.  The odds of this happening are astonomical.  Am I right to suspect fowl play and fixing the number generated?

Also I understand that the odds of selecting a 5 number combination in a 5/39 lottery are 575,757 to 1  It was strange that the number that night was comprized of 5 consecutive numbers: 16,17,18,19,20.  The first time in over 7,000 prior draws (35 possible consecutive unique combinations out of over 575K combinations).  Could one oddity have something to do with the other oddity?

I have yet to get a reply from the California Lottery Commission from my emails asking if there has been an investigation into this Drawing.  What do you think?

Odd number combinations happen with every lottery game.  The problem in your state is that there is no way for a person to watch the drawing, because it happens inside a computer.  With a traditional ball drawing, when a strange combination comes up you can at least be satisfied by watching the drawing that it was legitimate.

If you write to the lottery, I'd recommend complaining about the lack of real ball drawings, and that even if they explain that strange combinations happen every so often, that they have no way to prove it because it is impossible to physically witness the method by which a computer generates random numbers.

An auditor can only witness that a computer program executed -- they have no way to watch it actually take place, and really they have no idea if it was hacked around.  (There are ways to get around computer code validation if a hacker is determined enough.)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
              Winning makes me smile.
              bel air maryland
              United States
              Member #90251
              April 24, 2010
              4874 Posts
              Posted: March 23, 2013, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Odd number combinations happen with every lottery game.  The problem in your state is that there is no way for a person to watch the drawing, because it happens inside a computer.  With a traditional ball drawing, when a strange combination comes up you can at least be satisfied by watching the drawing that it was legitimate.

If you write to the lottery, I'd recommend complaining about the lack of real ball drawings, and that even if they explain that strange combinations happen every so often, that they have no way to prove it because it is impossible to physically witness the method by which a computer generates random numbers.

An auditor can only witness that a computer program executed -- they have no way to watch it actually take place, and really they have no idea if it was hacked around.  (There are ways to get around computer code validation if a hacker is determined enough.)

The second paragraph is somehing everyone who plays in a state with computer drawings should do. If enough people do it, maybe they will switch to ball drawings. (We can hope.)  Thumbs Up

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                California
                United States
                Member #112364
                June 17, 2011
                661 Posts
                Posted: March 23, 2013, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Just because the drawing results have sequential numbers doesn't mean that someone is hacking the system. The odds of having sequential numbers 16 17 18 19 20 is equal to the odds of having any other combination of numbers.

Besides, if someone really did hack the system, they wouldn't have made it so obvious to have a sequential numbers that draw attention like that. And they wouldn't have been stupid enough to pick numbers a lot of other people had picked since doing so meant that they would have to share the jackpot with 29 people.

Nutley, New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #131058
                  August 1, 2012
                  875 Posts
                  Posted: March 23, 2013, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Just because the drawing results have sequential numbers doesn't mean that someone is hacking the system. The odds of having sequential numbers 16 17 18 19 20 is equal to the odds of having any other combination of numbers.

Besides, if someone really did hack the system, they wouldn't have made it so obvious to have a sequential numbers that draw attention like that. And they wouldn't have been stupid enough to pick numbers a lot of other people had picked since doing so meant that they would have to share the jackpot with 29 people.

five sequential numbers have never been picked. 16 17 18 19 20 is what that draw looked like after the numbers were sorted from least to greatest.

The order the numbers were drawn was 20 16 18 17 19.

To verify, click this link: http://www.calottery.com/play/draw-games/fantasy-5/winning-numbers

there will be five boxes to enter numbers. Enter the numbers 16 17 18 19 20. Then click the "check" button and you will see:

DrawWinning NumbersMatched
                  01/14/2013 Draw# 700920  16  18  17  19  5
                  03/22/2013 Draw# 707616  06  19  17  20  4
                  06/13/1998 Draw# 168016  17  18  19  35  4
                  01/15/1997 Draw# 116607  14  16  18  20  3
                  11/13/1994 Draw# 55216  17  20  33  39  3

California
                    United States
                    Member #140591
                    March 23, 2013
                    6 Posts
                    Posted: March 25, 2013, 1:23 am - IP Logged

Hi whitebalz   It's not so much the combination that was drawn; its the fact that 29 people selected this combination.  I've have yet to see more tha 5 winning tickets sold at any prior drawing.

California
                      United States
                      Member #140591
                      March 23, 2013
                      6 Posts
                      Posted: March 25, 2013, 1:37 am - IP Logged

Yes , I understand that the numbers were not generated consecutively but the resulting combination is a consecutive string of 5 numbers.   Is it common for lottery players to choose consecutive strings?  And does that explain the unusually large number of winning tickets(29)?   It seems more likely that someone rigged the game and gave out the winning number to screw with the system(Chinese Hacker?)
                        California
                        United States
                        Member #140591
                        March 23, 2013
                        6 Posts
                        Posted: March 25, 2013, 1:53 am - IP Logged

Hey Todd   Thanks for the reply. I have stayed away fom lottery games where the winning numbers are computer generated and not easily verified by a real ball drawing.  The consecutive combination string and the unusually large number of jackpot winners occuring together is very suspicious and deserves being investigated by our California Lottery Commission or the Bureau of State Audits for employee malfeasance.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                          Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4108 Posts
                          Posted: March 25, 2013, 2:00 am - IP Logged

Were you one of the 29 winners, that is the more important question.

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                            Member #5599
                            July 13, 2004
                            1185 Posts
                            Posted: March 25, 2013, 9:04 am - IP Logged

Hi,

What integrity is saying is true. He has mentioned only a couple of the extremely odd instances that have occurred in the CA Fantasy Five. There are many, many more. I can let one instance go, but when it comes to this game, it seems to be the norm.

I would suggest that nobody play the California Fantasy Five. Only play the none RNG in California.

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

United States
                              Member #128790
                              June 2, 2012
                              5431 Posts
                              Posted: March 25, 2013, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

It has absolutely nothing to do with hackers or computers. It's a well know fact to a few seasoned lottery players that every state has a relatively strong number of people who play consecutives. What the consecutive players are ignorant about is that they think only a few people play in that fashion.