Powerball ticket worth $338 million sold in N.J.

Mar 24, 2013, 8:15 am (194 comments)

Powerball

Someone in New Jersey this morning could be holding a tiny piece of paper worth a massive amount of money: $338.3 million.

One winning ticket was sold for Saturday night's huge Powerball jackpot, and it was purchased somewhere in the Garden State.

Which county, which town and which store remains a mystery and the New Jersey Lottery will release details on Monday, the Associated Press reports.

One lottery player in Iowa won $2 million in Saturday's drawing, and lottery players in 11 other states won $1 million for matching five of the six winning numbers: Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia.

These were the winning numbers drawn at 11 p.m. Saturday: 17, 29, 31, 52 and 53. The Powerball was 31.

The jackpot was initially estimated at $320 million and later climbed to $338.3 million. The cash option was worth around $209 million, making this the fourth-highest ever jackpot in the 21-year history of the multi-state lottery game, and the 8th-largest of any lottery game in history.

The biggest previous jackpot this year was a $217 million haul, which an airport traveler in the Richmond, Va., area won on Feb. 6.

In Nov., 2012, Powerball broke all of its previous records when a November jackpot soared to $588 million — the 2nd-largest lottery jackpot in history. That hefty sum was split between two tickets sold in Missouri and Arizona.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Piaceri

Congrats to the NJ winner!

Party

Texas needs a PB jackpot. Dance

mightwin's avatarmightwin

Alright california, let's make the $10 mil minimum increases a thing of the past. Tell your friends and neighbors to spend spend, spend!

whiteballz's avatarwhiteballz

the winner should play The Sopranos theme song on their drive to the lottery office. I know I would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUT07eZoXPw

WWWBUKTN

Figures the winner comes from the state that will tax their winnings the most out of all fifty states.   

What it must feel like to wake up, see the local news and hear the winner is from New Jersey and go check your tickets to see that you just won about $200,000,000.   

Congrats, wish it were me.

IPlayWeekly's avatarIPlayWeekly

So happy for whoever won, even the smaller amounts of 1million... congrats

jimb503

Congrats, and spend it well!

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulations to all the winnersHurray!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by WWWBUKTN on Mar 24, 2013

Figures the winner comes from the state that will tax their winnings the most out of all fifty states.   

What it must feel like to wake up, see the local news and hear the winner is from New Jersey and go check your tickets to see that you just won about $200,000,000.   

LOL pay those taxes

pickone4me's avatarpickone4me

It's interesting new jersey has always hit it big in march in certain years.  Some one in new jersey 2012 won exactly within days of this win in 2013....Coincidence?  Going further back,  no win in 2011,  but there was in 2010...  Hopefully these coincidences don't keep popping up.

But anyways,  hopefully whoever the winner is,  I hope its someone that needed it,  and not some scummy wallstreeter or something like that.

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Mar 24, 2013

Party

Piaceri, I like your signature I'm from LansingThumbs Up

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by pickone4me on Mar 24, 2013

It's interesting new jersey has always hit it big in march in certain years.  Some one in new jersey 2012 won exactly within days of this win in 2013....Coincidence?  Going further back,  no win in 2011,  but there was in 2010...  Hopefully these coincidences don't keep popping up.

But anyways,  hopefully whoever the winner is,  I hope its someone that needed it,  and not some scummy wallstreeter or something like that.

I hope it was "some scummy wallstreeter" who can manage it and NOT piss it away.

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Mar 24, 2013

Piaceri, I like your signature I'm from LansingThumbs Up

Thank you! I lived there for 22 years. I still have one in school at MSU, and one with a boyfriend still there. I always liked Izzo, and will root for MSU as long as he is there. Smile

Just because they could do it,  doesn't mean it was right to screw over decent people.

Ronnie316

Just because they could do it,  doesn't mean it was right to screw over decent people.

Cry me a river...............

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to all the winners, hope everyone enjoys , their lucky winfall

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Mar 24, 2013

Party

Perhaps it was Thrifty getting his long awaited win? He is from NY and buys tickets in Jersey?

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Mar 24, 2013

Cry me a river...............

So you are with that crowd,  good for you.

Ronnie316

Powerball ticket worth $338 million sold in N.J.

3 members gave this topic an average rating of 5 out of 5

Member Rating
THRIFTY 5 stars
whiteballz 5 stars
Ronnie316 5 stars
Ronnie316

So you are with that crowd,  good for you.

Im not a broke ass cry baby if thats what you mean?

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Mar 24, 2013

Congrats to all the winners, hope everyone enjoys , their lucky winfall

I Agree!

sully16's avatarsully16

Member Rating
THRIFTY 5 stars
whiteballz 5 stars
Ronnie316 5 stars

oops, add sully16 Hyper

Ronnie316

oops, add sully16 Hyper

Good for you Sully, I'm happy for the winner also. May they live long and enjoy their good fortune.

hotslot3

Well boys and girls the fun is over, for now. I will not be going on my Muscha-Cay dream vacation or getting a new house with a big garage to store my new Lamborghini, Ferrari, and porsche 911 turbo any time soon.  Can't say that I'm not disappointed but after playing the lottery for years you expect to lose. It's really nothing more than a fantasy to "dream" that you will win. In reality I know that winning is something that will likely never happen, not even a lower prize win. I'm not giving up but after big jackpots like this it does make you realize how silly and perposterous it is to try and win something like the powerball or any lottery. I only played a few dollars worth this time but others played much, much more and this morning they only have worthless paper to show for it. It's the nature of the game but it's really nothing more than a "voluntary" tax on people and a lot of middle to lower class people at that who can't really afford it. 

So one winner gets the entire pot, I actually don't mind this personally. But I mean who really needs to win over $100 million after taxes? Nobody. It's insanse. But to the winner I offer you nothing but congratulations, good luck and hope you spend it however you want. Blow it all on toys and crap or leave it sitting in your bank earning interest. Whatever makes you happy do it and forget what other people say.

As for me, I will probably still play when the jackpots are up there but as far as actually believing I will win one day, that's over.  The lottery offers a false hope of becoming rich for millions of people who will never be rich. Maybe that's good...maybe it's bad.

Again, congrats to the winner. Wish it was me but that's life.

Im not a broke ass cry baby if thats what you mean?

Not sure what you mean by that.  The ones that are rich,  most of them are greedy,  the keyword is MOST,  if you have to buy someone off to change the rules to become even richer the dirty crooked way,  and can't conduct business ethically without causing damage.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I meant to buy tickets yesterday but was so tired that I wrote down my numbers on a piece of paper and waited to commit suicide if they were drawn haha lol they didn't so I won't. Sometimes I think playing PB is an exercise at futility and then I buy a ticket lol

Ronnie316

Not sure what you mean by that.  The ones that are rich,  most of them are greedy,  the keyword is MOST,  if you have to buy someone off to change the rules to become even richer the dirty crooked way,  and can't conduct business ethically without causing damage.

Number one, how would you know? Number two, I thought being rich was a good thing?

sully16's avatarsully16

Good for you Sully, I'm happy for the winner also. May they live long and enjoy their good fortune.

Life is to short, enjoy everyday whether you win the lottery or not.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Mar 24, 2013

I meant to buy tickets yesterday but was so tired that I wrote down my numbers on a piece of paper and waited to commit suicide if they were drawn haha lol they didn't so I won't. Sometimes I think playing PB is an exercise at futility and then I buy a ticket lol

lol. I bought my usual lines, but also refrained from buying a bunch of extra tickets.

Ronnie316

Life is to short, enjoy everyday whether you win the lottery or not.

I Agree! Theres a lot more to being "rich" than having lots of money.

hotslot3

lol. I bought my usual lines, but also refrained from buying a bunch of extra tickets.

This is the best option. As long as you have a few lines, you're in and can fantasize about winning, which is what 99.9% of people will ever do.  Buying a bunch of tickets is just throwing good money after bad.

Number one, how would you know? Number two, I thought being rich was a good thing?

Number one,  Who do you think really pulls the strings in this country?  Number two,  being rich is a good thing as long as your not abusing the priveledge.

Ronnie316

Number one,  Who do you think really pulls the strings in this country?  Number two,  being rich is a good thing as long as your not abusing the priveledge.

So your saying its good if YOUR the one who is rich, but its bad if its someone else?

So your saying its good if YOUR the one who is rich, but its bad if its someone else?

hotslot3

Who really pulls the strings?  Trust me you don't want to go there. Others have and regret it. At least doing it publically.

Quote: Originally posted by hotslot3 on Mar 24, 2013

Who really pulls the strings?  Trust me you don't want to go there. Others have and regret it. At least doing it publically.

Lobbyists for one!

Ronnie316

Lobbyists for one!

So your saying YOU know who is "pulling the strings" ??

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Lottery for the most part is a marathon. Most people win nothing for years, some never win at all. My biggest win is $200

So your saying YOU know who is "pulling the strings" ??

Not personally,  since this is a waste of time arguing, maybe you should do your own reasearch.

hotslot3

Lobbyists for one!

Wealthy lobbyists.  Very, very Wealthy.

Ronnie316

Not personally,  since this is a waste of time arguing, maybe you should do your own reasearch.

I'm not arguing anything, merely making comments. Your the one who judged wallstreeters as "scummy" Do you happen to know any wallstreeters?

hotslot3

I'm not arguing anything, merely making comments. Your the one who judged wallstreeters as "scummy" Do you happen to know any wallstreeters?

Wallstreeters are no more "scummy" than your average beer drinking, espn watching dreb.  Perhaps they were just smart(er) enough, clever, to get a degree and scheme financially to make a killing.

Ronnie316

Wallstreeters are no more "scummy" than your average beer drinking, espn watching dreb.  Perhaps they were just smart(er) enough, clever, to get a degree and scheme financially to make a killing.

Exactly my point, people who are quick to point out others as scum are usually in fact "scum" themselves only they don't have the lottery balls to face up to it.

megan81's avatarmegan81

Wasn't me :( It was the first time I was actually upset that I didn't win...

My dad is NY today, and he left his ticket here in NJ, so he can't check it. I may take a trip to his house to check for him ;)

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by megan81 on Mar 24, 2013

Wasn't me :( It was the first time I was actually upset that I didn't win...

My dad is NY today, and he left his ticket here in NJ, so he can't check it. I may take a trip to his house to check for him ;)

We are all hoping its someone we know, so keep us posted and good luck to him.

Exactly my point, people who are quick to point out others as scum are usually in fact "scum" themselves only they don't have the lottery balls to face up to it.

Well,  glad you confessed.

ashabug725's avatarashabug725

I Agree!

hotslot3

We are all hoping its someone we know, so keep us posted and good luck to him.

In all my years of playing the MOST I've ever won was $100 on a $30 scratch off. A $70 profit. Hardly worth it when you consider the time, effort and gas it takes to drive and buy it in the first place. I've played for years and spent a small fortune trying to win something of some kind of significance. The closest I've ever come on the lottery is 4 out of 6 numbers, and this is from years of playing semi-regurlarly. I often ask myself why I keep playing and wonder if I'm stupid, delusional or just crazy to keep playing and throwing away money. LOL

I don't believe in miracles but winning the lottery (millions) must be the closest thing to it.

Ronnie316

Well,  glad you confessed.

Well, glad you proved my point.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

convcersation with NJ state taxman:

WINNER:  woo hoo  i won the lotto.

TAXMAN: Wheres my cut?

WINNER: oh i have yo pay ?

TAXMAN: I want my money.?

WINNER: ok i 'll see what i can do.

TAXMAN:  I WANT MY  FREEKING MONEY NOW!

Power$'s avatarPower$

Lottery officials said the 13 tickets worth $1 million apiece — matching the first five numbers but missing the Powerball — were sold in Arizona, Florida (2), Illinois, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania (2), South Carolina and Virginia.

PartyScaredPartyHyperPartyScaredParty                                                             

IPlayWeekly's avatarIPlayWeekly

In all my years of playing the MOST I've ever won was $100 on a $30 scratch off. A $70 profit. Hardly worth it when you consider the time, effort and gas it takes to drive and buy it in the first place. I've played for years and spent a small fortune trying to win something of some kind of significance. The closest I've ever come on the lottery is 4 out of 6 numbers, and this is from years of playing semi-regurlarly. I often ask myself why I keep playing and wonder if I'm stupid, delusional or just crazy to keep playing and throwing away money. LOL

I don't believe in miracles but winning the lottery (millions) must be the closest thing to it.

Same here, I spend $30 a week... most ever won at one time was $40, tho I often win a few bucks to offset at least 30% of the budget cost.  I'm in stocks and real estate also, so this is just extra cash... I play for the smaller amounts, not expecting to win the jackpot

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Congrats to the winners Spend Wisely Dance

Power$'s avatarPower$

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Mar 24, 2013

Congrats to the winners Spend Wisely Dance

Winner(S)

hotslot3

Quote: Originally posted by IPlayWeekly on Mar 24, 2013

Same here, I spend $30 a week... most ever won at one time was $40, tho I often win a few bucks to offset at least 30% of the budget cost.  I'm in stocks and real estate also, so this is just extra cash... I play for the smaller amounts, not expecting to win the jackpot

I hear ya. Not really sure why I still play, maybe just out of habit at this point. To be honest though, I feel more like a sucker after every time I play and lose these days. The lottery laughs all the way to the bank and I lose another $10 or so.

Quote: Originally posted by Power$ on Mar 24, 2013

Winner(S)

i know i fixed it thanks Hat

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Type LIVE FROM NEW JERSEY : A brand new episode of TLC's "curse of the lottery"

Next drawing: Wed, Mar 27th $40,000,000 est. jackpot

we can have that prize money built back up in no time Party

Quote: Originally posted by whiteballz on Mar 24, 2013

the winner should play The Sopranos theme song on their drive to the lottery office. I know I would.

yeah Thumbs Up

Well, glad you proved my point.

You proved nothing!  You must've had your fluoride drink for breakfast this morning.  This video is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.  But yet you want to make me out to be the bad guy,  because i'm not cheering on wallstreets 2008 financial mess they caused.

You proved nothing!  You must've had your fluoride drink for breakfast this morning.  This video is the kind of stuff I'm talking about.  But yet you want to make me out to be the bad guy,  because i'm not cheering on wallstreets 2008 financial mess they caused.

look above you that chick is looking at what you posted Green laugh

jimmy4164

En ReVal

We will win, eventually and it will be BIGGG!!

Gleno's avatarGleno

The three big winners were the NJ individual, netting $140M; The Federal Government, $50M; and the state of NJ, $10M. If my calculations are correct, assuming the lump sum cash option was $200M, the state gets 5% and the Feds get 25%. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote: Originally posted by En ReVal on Mar 24, 2013

there you go: staying positive i like thatI Agree! 

when your numbers come up you will be a BIG WINNERSParty

look above you that chick is looking at what you posted Green laugh

Actually I meant to post this video,  but made a mistake. 

i'm glad cause that other one was boring me so i turned it off LOL

Yeah for sure.  it seemed to keep posting the url for that video for some reason.  But yes it sure was boring.

Yeah for sure.  it seemed to keep posting the url for that video for some reason.  But yes it sure was boring.

i thought it was oil-wow i like that movie so Pills huh????

well i probably Legally contribute $3000.00 a year to them Smiley 

i need to buy some stock in that.Party

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by Gleno on Mar 24, 2013

The three big winners were the NJ individual, netting $140M; The Federal Government, $50M; and the state of NJ, $10M. If my calculations are correct, assuming the lump sum cash option was $200M, the state gets 5% and the Feds get 25%. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Feds get about 39% unless they raise it again. That 25% is just the beginning of the Federal Taxes & you forgot Local Taxes.

truewinner76's avatartruewinner76

NICE!!!!! DONT worry LP our time will come soon. Don't give up lets keep working at it. Smile we'll have another chance next time the JP gets super high

shyguitar

Well boys and girls the fun is over, for now. I will not be going on my Muscha-Cay dream vacation or getting a new house with a big garage to store my new Lamborghini, Ferrari, and porsche 911 turbo any time soon.  Can't say that I'm not disappointed but after playing the lottery for years you expect to lose. It's really nothing more than a fantasy to "dream" that you will win. In reality I know that winning is something that will likely never happen, not even a lower prize win. I'm not giving up but after big jackpots like this it does make you realize how silly and perposterous it is to try and win something like the powerball or any lottery. I only played a few dollars worth this time but others played much, much more and this morning they only have worthless paper to show for it. It's the nature of the game but it's really nothing more than a "voluntary" tax on people and a lot of middle to lower class people at that who can't really afford it. 

So one winner gets the entire pot, I actually don't mind this personally. But I mean who really needs to win over $100 million after taxes? Nobody. It's insanse. But to the winner I offer you nothing but congratulations, good luck and hope you spend it however you want. Blow it all on toys and crap or leave it sitting in your bank earning interest. Whatever makes you happy do it and forget what other people say.

As for me, I will probably still play when the jackpots are up there but as far as actually believing I will win one day, that's over.  The lottery offers a false hope of becoming rich for millions of people who will never be rich. Maybe that's good...maybe it's bad.

Again, congrats to the winner. Wish it was me but that's life.

Hi Hotslot3,

After reading what you wrote it really sounded like how I was feeling after seeing I won nothing from last nights draw. Like yourself, I'm very happy someone won and there life and the lives of their family members will forever be changed in a postive way because of their win. On big jackpot prizes I would love to see more than 1 person win since more people's lives could be changed. Like yourself, I too know it's a fantasy to actually win the lottery but I just can't seem to stop myself from playing. There is a sadness for myself today knowing that my dream of winning may never happen even if I play for years. My daughter was stopping me yesterday from buying a scratch ticket because she thinks my playing the lottery will never happen and that I need to accept that and stop playing the lottery for good (that's not going to happen but will continue to budget myself). You are right about the lottery offering false hope to millions of people like myself who will never be rich or even make much money from working. It's funny how the lottery will always show people who win the big bucks on a scratch ticket or draw ticket (on a lottery website) but never reveal the number of people who continue to lose daily by playing. The lottery want people to think they could be winners as well, when only a tiny percent of people ever will win.

Member Rating
THRIFTY 5 stars
whiteballz 5 stars
Ronnie316 5 stars

Add DallasWink

ashabug725's avatarashabug725

Add DallasWink

I tried to rate it but my phone is stupid and touchy and hit wrong star... How do I or can I change it?

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by ashabug725 on Mar 24, 2013

I tried to rate it but my phone is stupid and touchy and hit wrong star... How do I or can I change it?

No changes can be made to ratings. But no worry, we all understand.

Ronnie316

See Ya!

See Ya!

See Ya!

Quote: Originally posted by ashabug725 on Mar 24, 2013

don't worry be happy Smiley

Quote: Originally posted by truewinner76 on Mar 24, 2013

NICE!!!!! DONT worry LP our time will come soon. Don't give up lets keep working at it. Smile we'll have another chance next time the JP gets super high

I Agree!

oh my i'm getting close to 5000 Hurray! it's a pretty BIG deal

Ronnie316

oh my i'm getting close to 5000 Hurray! it's a pretty BIG deal

It is a big deal... at 5584 you get a "Top 100" banner to your accolades.

https://www.lotterypost.com/memberlist

Ronnie316

I Agree!

I Agree! LP members will B winning D jackpot.

Ronnie316

don't worry be happy Smiley

Yes Nod

It is a big deal... at 5584 you get a "Top 100" banner to your accolades.

https://www.lotterypost.com/memberlist

then i must keep talking and posting about frivolous

I was like what the heck I got an extra 10 lines last night on top of the 50 I got on Friday. And the usual zero return Smile

Kumo's avatarKumo

Lobbyists for one!

Wrong, regardless of what lobbyist do, they cannot guarantee that that politician will be re-elected. Consumers and citizens still have far more power than you might believe. Recent examples are support for Chik-fil-A and Hobby Lobby. Another is for pressuring Congress to remove Feinstein's firearm ban proposal from the upcoming gun control bill. 

The truth is anyone has the ablility to move up the ladder in our great nation, but that depends soley on how hard you are willing to work for it. If your choice is to sit at home, abuse the system, cry about what others have, and protest against the self made millionaires (who create most of the jobs, btw),

...you definitely won't get very far.

Quote: Originally posted by mightwin on Mar 24, 2013

I was like what the heck I got an extra 10 lines last night on top of the 50 I got on Friday. And the usual zero return Smile

keeping hope alive I Agree!

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

I'm trying to smile but I can't. No Nod

I wanted to feel good but I don't. Frown

I still live in the same house:

golfer's house

Drive the same car:

golfer's car

I'll be ok, I guess....

sad face

Kumo's avatarKumo

I prayed about it before I went to the store yesterday and got the feeling that I should only pick three quickpicks.

Well... I played that along with 15 more self picks for nothing.Evil Looking

Served me right, I could have had $30 extra bucks in my pocket this morning had I listened. Big Grin Angel

redhot7's avatarredhot7

Those of you who spent hundreds of dollars for a drawing, I wonder how you feel if you find out that the winner only bought ONE ticket and only played occasionally?

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by shyguitar on Mar 24, 2013

Hi Hotslot3,

After reading what you wrote it really sounded like how I was feeling after seeing I won nothing from last nights draw. Like yourself, I'm very happy someone won and there life and the lives of their family members will forever be changed in a postive way because of their win. On big jackpot prizes I would love to see more than 1 person win since more people's lives could be changed. Like yourself, I too know it's a fantasy to actually win the lottery but I just can't seem to stop myself from playing. There is a sadness for myself today knowing that my dream of winning may never happen even if I play for years. My daughter was stopping me yesterday from buying a scratch ticket because she thinks my playing the lottery will never happen and that I need to accept that and stop playing the lottery for good (that's not going to happen but will continue to budget myself). You are right about the lottery offering false hope to millions of people like myself who will never be rich or even make much money from working. It's funny how the lottery will always show people who win the big bucks on a scratch ticket or draw ticket (on a lottery website) but never reveal the number of people who continue to lose daily by playing. The lottery want people to think they could be winners as well, when only a tiny percent of people ever will win.

Well to be fair, the odds are clearly posted for the lottery. And to be honest, if you are feeling sadness, your daughter is right in suggesting you do not play. Perhaps you need to seek hope elsewhere. God helps those who help themselves. I guess I am too practical, because when someone tells me they are unhappy about this or that, I ask what they have done to make a change. If you are unhappy with your job (or anything), how many hours have you spent trying to change things? I think we all have had jobs or situations we did not like, and when I did, I spent a year toughing it out and researching other opportunities and was able to make a big move. But I never expected the lottery or God to fix things. God gave me (and you) a mind and intelligence to figure things out and until you view yourself in a positive manner, nothing will likely change for you. I am not trying to be mean, but I think you place way too much hope in the lottery and I am concerned for you personally. I really hope you can talk to someone with expertise in these issues.

Quote: Originally posted by redhot7 on Mar 24, 2013

Those of you who spent hundreds of dollars for a drawing, I wonder how you feel if you find out that the winner only bought ONE ticket and only played occasionally?

Doesn't bother me one bit

hotslot3

Quote: Originally posted by shyguitar on Mar 24, 2013

Hi Hotslot3,

Hi Shyguitar,

'tis true, tis very true. I offer some of my thoughts here now and then because I know there are others out there who read but don't normally post.  I offer nothing but the best of wishes to the winner and their family. I am not jealous, maybe a little envious of their new wealth...but who isn't. LOL

It is a fanstasy to win the lottery and it's one fanstasy which I haven't been able to have happen and almost certainly never will.  Yes, I think that one of the better ways to describe the lottery is a false hope, whether this is good or bad I don't know. Yes, the lottery only wants to show the winners on those "lottery changed my life" tv shows and on their websites as examples of lucky winners.  If they showed the millions of lottery losers who continue to play and continue to lose, it wouldn't present such a good image of what the lottery is all about. Billions of dollars going down a rat hole, (oops sorry to "education") and broken dreams on the backs of mostly middle to lower class working folks who can least afford it.

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Mar 24, 2013

I'm trying to smile but I can't. No Nod

I wanted to feel good but I don't. Frown

I still live in the same house:

golfer's house

Drive the same car:

golfer's car

I'll be ok, I guess....

sad face

Green laughoh man why do i feel the sudden need to send you some money

Green laughoh man why do i feel the sudden need to send you some money

Please "helpmewin"!!!!!

Please "helpmewin"!!!!!

I Agree!

grwurston's avatargrwurston

I hope it was "some scummy wallstreeter" who can manage it and NOT piss it away.

I hope it was some poor soul who had their home destroyed by hurricane Sandy. There are many, many, people there who

still have not gotten a dime from FEMA and the insurance companies.  Frown

Please "helpmewin"!!!!!

LOL Y'all crazyGreen laugh

Quote: Originally posted by En ReVal on Mar 24, 2013

YepThumbs Up

hotslot3

Quote: Originally posted by Kumo on Mar 24, 2013

Wrong, regardless of what lobbyist do, they cannot guarantee that that politician will be re-elected. Consumers and citizens still have far more power than you might believe. Recent examples are support for Chik-fil-A and Hobby Lobby. Another is for pressuring Congress to remove Feinstein's firearm ban proposal from the upcoming gun control bill. 

The truth is anyone has the ablility to move up the ladder in our great nation, but that depends soley on how hard you are willing to work for it. If your choice is to sit at home, abuse the system, cry about what others have, and protest against the self made millionaires (who create most of the jobs, btw),

...you definitely won't get very far.

Kumo, I get the context of what you are trying to describe but I respectfully disagree.

The truth is... Not just "anyone" has the ability to move up the ladder of success. A lot depends on where you were born, to whom you were born and the resources provided to you. Success in life be it wealth, job, school, marriage depends A LOT on who you know (connections) being at the right place at the right time (Luck) and your intelligence, which is mostly genetic. If you think how hard you work is a main ingredient ask the local roofer or brick layer if he's a millionaire or if he's thinking of running for congress.

If may not be a Zig Ziglar or tony robbins infomercial to admit this, but it's a little closer to the actual truth.

Kumo's avatarKumo

Humbled. Big Grin Angel

The $42 ($38 yesterday and $4 from a multi-draw I bought a couple of weeks ago), was the most I've personally spent on a single drawing.

Now that I have splurged well beyond my usual ammount, I think I am just going to stick with my regular 2 self picks and the occasional QP for the time being.

Ronnie316

Doesn't matter to me. I'm a winner no matter the JP outcome. I never "lose" when playing the lottery.

Lottery officials said the 13 tickets worth $1 million apiece — matching the first five numbers but missing the Powerball — were sold in Arizona, Florida (2), Illinois, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania (2), South Carolina and Virginia.

PartyScaredPartyHyperPartyScaredParty                                                             

Congratulations to ALL the winnersHurray!

Ronnie316

Kumo, I get the context of what you are trying to describe but I respectfully disagree.

The truth is... Not just "anyone" has the ability to move up the ladder of success. A lot depends on where you were born, to whom you were born and the resources provided to you. Success in life be it wealth, job, school, marriage depends A LOT on who you know (connections) being at the right place at the right time (Luck) and your intelligence, which is mostly genetic. If you think how hard you work is a main ingredient ask the local roofer or brick layer if he's a millionaire or if he's thinking of running for congress.

If may not be a Zig Ziglar or tony robbins infomercial to admit this, but it's a little closer to the actual truth.

Intelligence is genetic?

Ronnie316

Congratulations to ALL the winnersHurray!

I Agree! A million sounds good as a consolation prize.

hotslot3

Intelligence is genetic?

It's one component and a factor.

Ronnie316

It's one component and a factor.

So is potato chips and candy bars.

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Mar 24, 2013

Well to be fair, the odds are clearly posted for the lottery. And to be honest, if you are feeling sadness, your daughter is right in suggesting you do not play. Perhaps you need to seek hope elsewhere. God helps those who help themselves. I guess I am too practical, because when someone tells me they are unhappy about this or that, I ask what they have done to make a change. If you are unhappy with your job (or anything), how many hours have you spent trying to change things? I think we all have had jobs or situations we did not like, and when I did, I spent a year toughing it out and researching other opportunities and was able to make a big move. But I never expected the lottery or God to fix things. God gave me (and you) a mind and intelligence to figure things out and until you view yourself in a positive manner, nothing will likely change for you. I am not trying to be mean, but I think you place way too much hope in the lottery and I am concerned for you personally. I really hope you can talk to someone with expertise in these issues.

I Agree! remember shy you must play the lottery for fun, when it stops being fun then maybe you should stop playing for awhile. I have read where several winners have stopped playing becaue they weren't winning then started playing again and won. I will try to find some links for you.

Please stay positive an don't be discouraged I know it's hard your time will.

hotslot3

So is potato chips and candy bars.

The old nature vs nurture. Both are factors.

Some people are born more intelligent and destined to be taller and better looking.  Big Grin

Kumo's avatarKumo

I agree with you in part, not everyone can be a Warren Buffet, Bill Gates or Steve Jobs.

Middle class, which is still a fairly comfortable lifestyle, is not out of the reach of folks willing to ask for advice and make a few sacrifices to get there. Motivation is always a key ingredient for success in anything.

Downs Syndrome didn't stop this Go Getter from achieving his dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6He0FWoFj0

hotslot3

I agree with you in part, not everyone can be a Warren Buffet, Bill Gates or Steve Jobs.

Middle class, which is still a fairly comfortable lifestyle, is not out of the reach of folks willing to ask for advice and make a few sacrifices to get there. Motivation is always a key ingredient for success in anything.

Key ingredient for success?  If someone asked me besides being born into the right family with all the resources one needs, I would list persistence.  Motivation can come and go.

Great video! Thanks Kumo!!

Ronnie316

I Agree! remember shy you must play the lottery for fun, when it stops being fun then maybe you should stop playing for awhile. I have read where several winners have stopped playing becaue they weren't winning then started playing again and won. I will try to find some links for you.

Ronnie316

Key ingredient for success?  If someone asked me besides being born into the right family with all the resources one needs, I would list persistence.  Motivation can come and go.

I think being born in a country where opportunities exist is a plus?

i'm off to get a mega millions ticket. 26 mil sounds good to me. Yes Nod

i sure didnt know you was born in the country was you born in a barn like jesusBlue Angel

Ronnie316

I Agree! Im going for some too.

hotslot3

Didn't spend hundreds of dollars for this drawing. How would I feel? The same. In fact, it would show you that anybody can win. Be it with 1 ticket or 500 tickets purchased. The same if they are rich or poor. Goes to show you anyone can win. Not that you will. LOL

Ronnie316

i sure didnt know you was born in the country was you born in a barn like jesusBlue Angel

Yeah, there was no rooms at the Inn.

that's funnyLOL all this Lottery talk and winning you have the sudden urge to go get tickets.

Ronnie316

Didn't spend hundreds of dollars for this drawing. How would I feel? The same. In fact, it would show you that anybody can win. Be it with 1 ticket or 500 tickets purchased. The same if they are rich or poor. Goes to show you anyone can win. Not that you will. LOL

I Agree! An actual ticket purchase is required to win the lottery.LOL

Yeah, there was no rooms at the Inn.

Ronnie316

that's funnyLOL all this Lottery talk and winning you have the sudden urge to go get tickets.

I Agree! IMA B D MM JP Winner.

hotslot3

I Agree! An actual ticket purchase is required to win the lottery.LOL

So far that's the only conclusion I have been able to postulate that all winner's have in common. LOL

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by Gleno on Mar 24, 2013

State tax is 10.8% the highest in the country.

Intelligence is genetic?

huh? people don't waste your money for college either your born smart or dumbCrazy Smiley

Power$'s avatarPower$

See Ya!

I Agree! IMA B D MM JP Winner.

Mega: Next drawing: Tue, Mar 26th $26,000,000 est. jackpot

Powerball: Next drawing:  Wed, Mar 27th $40,000,000 est. jackpot

hotslot3

Not necessarily true. I think many people say this to justify their playing the lottery against such incredible odds. I have never, repeat, NEVER bought a lottery ticket because I think it's FUN...Among reasons are the embarrassment felt by playing, the stink eye received when asking the person behind the counter for a ticket to the eventual and basically certainty of losing. Going to a casino and playing poker or going to a fair and playing the stupid carnival games CAN be fun. Playing the lottery to me and I'm sure for most others is NOT fun and never will be. The only reason I play is for the miniscule chance of winning millions of dollars. Without playing, I would either have to sell my soul or have had wealthy parents to inherit it from to receive. LOL

Being positive or discouraged has nothing to do with anything. That's a part of life.

Ronnie316

Someone was born under a bad sign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKY8KIt9kqc

See Ya!

your scaring the chick

Ronnie316

Not necessarily true. I think many people say this to justify their playing the lottery against such incredible odds. I have never, repeat, NEVER bought a lottery ticket because I think it's FUN...Among reasons are the embarrassment felt by playing, the stink eye received when asking the person behind the counter for a ticket to the eventual and basically certainty of losing. Going to a casino and playing poker or going to a fair and playing the stupid carnival games CAN be fun. Playing the lottery to me and I'm sure for most others is NOT fun and never will be. The only reason I play is for the miniscule chance of winning millions of dollars. Without playing, I would either have to sell my soul or have had wealthy parents to inherit it from to receive. LOL

Being positive or discouraged has nothing to do with anything. That's a part of life.

Thumbs Down

Ronnie316

Power$'s avatarPower$

your scaring the chick

Cheers

Crying

Guitarronnie is a winner he is born under a good sign

Cheers

Patriot

Power$'s avatarPower$

Crying

Cheer up bud, no need to be sad. No No

hotslot3

Crying

Ronnie, instead of crying I can offer you some free advice. Play "the pick" instead of MM. The odds are better.

Yes Nod

Cheer up bud, no need to be sad. No No

yeah i thought this lottery site was to help each other share ideas & encourage others when will this happen do you have to have 10,000 post?

Ronnie316

Ronnie, instead of crying I can offer you some free advice. Play "the pick" instead of MM. The odds are better.

Yes Nod

Somehow I dont think Im the one who needs advice.No Nod

hotslot3

yeah i thought this lottery site was to help each other share ideas & encourage others when will this happen do you have to have 10,000 post?

I offered the idea for Ronnie to play "the pick" instead of MM

1 in 7 million'ish  vs

1 in 176 million'ish

Thumbs Up

35 left if i counted right can i do it will it happen today?Hurray! I'm getting excited

Ronnie316

I offered the idea for Ronnie to play "the pick" instead of MM

1 in 7 million'ish  vs

1 in 176 million'ish

Thumbs Up

I pick my own bonus number, so my odds are 1 in 5 million when I'm correct.Yes Nod

hotslot3

LOL

O RLY?

Ronnie316

35 left if i counted right can i do it will it happen today?Hurray! I'm getting excited

You are a winner. You can do it.

WWWBUKTN

Does anybody know if it was a quick pick or not?   The old double number a winner.

As pathetic as this sounds I'm glad it was hit this week even if it wasn't me as I didn't want California getting something for nothing had it been won there the following week or whenever their supposed to be joining. 

Maybe next time.

Ronnie316

LOL

O RLY?

Yes really. 

hotslot3

Yes really. 

I'm always open to advice. Let's hear it Ronnie!

hotslot3

Does anybody know if it was a quick pick or not?   The old double number a winner.

As pathetic as this sounds I'm glad it was hit this week even if it wasn't me as I didn't want California getting something for nothing had it been won there the following week or whenever their supposed to be joining. 

Maybe next time.

Something for nothing?  People win not states. And there is not state tax in California if someone wins.

Maybe next time.

haven't heard anything

hey don't Todd live in Jersey,hmmmmmmm

haven't seen him here today don't even know if he plays lottery that would be cool if he won.Dance

Something for nothing?  People win not states. And there is not state tax in California if someone wins.

what about florida, texas, wash state i don't think they have tax either do they?

hotslot3

what about florida, texas, wash state i don't think they have tax either do they?

Correct, among others.

Correct, among others.

okay Thumbs Up

hotslot3

okay Thumbs Up

Sun Smiley

If Texas become an independent republic again, I will make the move.

Cheers

Yes really. 

Really Really, truly for real, fore sure, positive, correct,Dance

haven't heard anything

hey don't Todd live in Jersey,hmmmmmmm

haven't seen him here today don't even know if he plays lottery that would be cool if he won.Dance

no. He said he didn't win. That would have been great if someone from LP won.

hotslot3

It would be amazing!  But how would we believe them? I guess maybe post a pic of the winning ticket. Honestly though, if I won, I would have better things to do then proving my win to people on a forum, no offense. Like gathering my team of advisors to claim the winnings!

yes it would be very cool Party

hotslot3

wb,

I'm not sure why but I have this feeling that you are going to win the lottery someday. I have no idea what game or how much exactly but I have a feeling you will win.  Don't bank on it but hopefully my good vibes will be sent your way for some extra luck one of these days!

Sun Smiley

It would be amazing!  But how would we believe them? I guess maybe post a pic of the winning ticket. Honestly though, if I won, I would have better things to do then proving my win to people on a forum, no offense. Like gathering my team of advisors to claim the winnings!

i wouldnt care to show my tickets as soon as i figure this out how to, but in the mean time if i win before i figure it out if i was to win BIG maybe i could fax a copy to Todd and he might post it for me i would have to ask him first, but i have won already many prizes just can't post them because i wasn't born smart.Crazy

No they do notThumbs Up

You can do itDance

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Definitely. If we had been born in Nigeria we'd almost certainly be princes or business executives with so much money that we'd need to move it out of the country.

hotslot3

If approved the winner in N.J could take advantage of the new bill being sent to the governor which would allow winners to remain anonymous for 1 year.

Thumbs Up

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

If approved the winner in N.J could take advantage of the new bill being sent to the governor which would allow winners to remain anonymous for 1 year.

Thumbs Up

Well there's a conspiracy waiting to be born.

And a year for the trail to be covered.

hotslot3

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Mar 24, 2013

Well there's a conspiracy waiting to be born.

And a year for the trail to be covered.

LOL

Yes, I guess there will always be conspiracy theorists. And even If they were real, there is nothing you can do about it. That's life.

No they do notThumbs Up

I Agree!

You can do itDance

Hurray!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

then i must keep talking and posting about frivolous

Seems to be workin' for ya so far.  Thumbs Up

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Mar 24, 2013

Seems to be workin' for ya so far.  Thumbs Up

PartyI Agree!

California always spends the most on mega so let's hope they will do the same for powerball!

Opps, my dog tore up the WINNING TICKET!!!!!

losing the lottery

losing the lottery

Yikes!! that would be bad news Bang Head

California always spends the most on mega so let's hope they will do the same for powerball!

yeah for-sure lets hope Hurray! 

karinda's avatarkarinda

Big Smile

joshuacloak's avatarjoshuacloak

losing the lottery

funny thing is there was a real muti million winner  that did this to them self's

thinked the ticket was a loser, and ripped it in 4 pices,

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/216328

lucky lottery people are not stupid,  and can  see that its winner, just cut up rofl...........

also people seem to be confused about tax's

thx to this state, its one of few where lottery winners will pay over 50%   ,  50.4% in tax's 

39.6% feds, and 10.8% state

big govt is largest winner here folks LOL ,  ticket holder #2 rofl...................

103,961,600 will be real amount atfer all tax's due next year.

thro  he get to earn low intrest before rest is due.... etc

sure having 100m plus in a bank,  for u 2 do whatever u want, is beyond goldly, and i be partying 24/7 

if i was the winners,

karinda's avatarkarinda

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Mar 24, 2013

State tax is 10.8% the highest in the country.

Thanks to Jon Corzine. No No

JoshUK

Wish I could be in the USA while there is a huge jackpot in the Powerball like 500M, queing up to get your ticket must be awesome. All that atmosphere and excitment.

Nodda4me's avatarNodda4me

Quote: Originally posted by joshuacloak on Mar 24, 2013

funny thing is there was a real muti million winner  that did this to them self's

thinked the ticket was a loser, and ripped it in 4 pices,

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/216328

lucky lottery people are not stupid,  and can  see that its winner, just cut up rofl...........

also people seem to be confused about tax's

thx to this state, its one of few where lottery winners will pay over 50%   ,  50.4% in tax's 

39.6% feds, and 10.8% state

big govt is largest winner here folks LOL ,  ticket holder #2 rofl...................

103,961,600 will be real amount atfer all tax's due next year.

thro  he get to earn low intrest before rest is due.... etc

sure having 100m plus in a bank,  for u 2 do whatever u want, is beyond goldly, and i be partying 24/7 

if i was the winners,

And they accepted the ticket? It states on the back of Virginia Lottery printouts:

Tickets are void if stolen, misprinted, mutilated, incomplete or cancelled.

I think being positive has a lot to do with it. And yes there are many people who do play te lottery for fun especially scratch-offs.

losing the lottery

Lol Green laugh

jimmy4164

pickone4me,

Not much interest here in your video, nor in mine, which provided answers to the question asked in this thread, "who is pulling the strings?"  Funny how so many people of modest means apparently have no problem with the Koch brothers but hate Warren Buffet, partly because he supports higher taxes on the rich. Confused

http://truth-out.org/video/item/14409-koch-brothers-driving-keystone-xl-pipeline-from-canada-to-cut-out-venezuelan-oil

BTW, an American "El Gordo" would produce thousands of very happy lottery winners, instead of a handful of obscenely rich people.

--Jimmy4164

iamrobbysmith's avatariamrobbysmith

Well I live in New Jersey but it wasn't me guys, I figured I'd make the liquor store around the corner from my house a hot spot but I guess not. So it's back to the win for life scratch off like I been doing. In all honesty it's too much circling around the Mega Millions and the Powerball to ever hit an astronomical amount for that matter.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

No.

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

New Jersey has very high taxes, but not the highest in the country.  I think Oregon has an 11% state income tax rate on individual net incomes of over $250,000.  Hawaii also has an 11% state tax for higher incomes. 

There are several other states with high income tax rates, although New Jersey definitely is a very expensive place to live.  If I just won over $328 million, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it, however. Yes Nod

Quote: Originally posted by JoshUK on Mar 24, 2013

Wish I could be in the USA while there is a huge jackpot in the Powerball like 500M, queing up to get your ticket must be awesome. All that atmosphere and excitment.

can't you move

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Multiple opportunities exist in EACH country!  A person needs to embrace the notion of staying in their birth country, become obsessed with their worthy big goal until achieved then always choosing next exciting big goal, and dwelling among three or so generations of their family members sharing positive insights plans with each other.

Group Hug

Quote: Originally posted by jimmy4164 on Mar 24, 2013

pickone4me,

Not much interest here in your video, nor in mine, which provided answers to the question asked in this thread, "who is pulling the strings?"  Funny how so many people of modest means apparently have no problem with the Koch brothers but hate Warren Buffet, partly because he supports higher taxes on the rich. Confused

http://truth-out.org/video/item/14409-koch-brothers-driving-keystone-xl-pipeline-from-canada-to-cut-out-venezuelan-oil

BTW, an American "El Gordo" would produce thousands of very happy lottery winners, instead of a handful of obscenely rich people.

--Jimmy4164

what you gonna do? exactly!

Factorem's avatarFactorem

You are correct to the extents of sharing ideas and encouraging others and wrong about the rest.

The sharing of ideas and the encouraging of others are already happening and are verified activities of members posters.

Finally, remember that we are still living on planet earth, and this planet's historical record on getting along is abysmally poor, regrettable and inferior. At best this planet promises and guarantees only, transitory  experiences of getting along, frequent fights and yes, at least a mega war in each century or something close to one.

Quote: Originally posted by JoshUK on Mar 24, 2013

If you're in the UK, you can buy a Euro Millions ticket. The jackpot is currently 111 million euro or 144 US dollars. The great thing about the UK is lottery winnings are not taxed, this is in contrast to the United States where the winner must pay a hefty tax bill.

Todd's avatarTodd

Winning Powerball ticket was sold at Eagle Liquors in Passaic, NJ.

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Mar 25, 2013

Winning Powerball ticket was sold at Eagle Liquors in Passaic, NJ.

Thanks for the info Todd.

jimmy4164

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Mar 25, 2013

what you gonna do? exactly!

Continue to bring awareness of the inequities and injustices that surround us to as many people as possible.  Once the fog is lifted from the necessary critical mass of people required to bring about change, it will begin to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

A Marketplace poster named Scott6113, on Mar 11, 2013, had this to say:

"The video, shocking as it is, does not extrapolate to the future. What will happen if these trends are not unchecked? France 1776 and Russia 1905 provide clues. The top 1% in the US are not entrepreneurs, are not benefactors and are not job creators. They are untitled royalty with apparent government as their puppet. In good times, they claim to be libertarians. In bad times, they raid the US treasury for bailouts. They control the information flow. Most of what you know is exactly what they want you to know. Shortly the underclass, the 47% Romney derided will have nothing left to lose and civil unrest will ensue. Occupy Wall Street is just the beginning."

What are you going to do?

Quote: Originally posted by jimmy4164 on Mar 25, 2013

Continue to bring awareness of the inequities and injustices that surround us to as many people as possible.  Once the fog is lifted from the necessary critical mass of people required to bring about change, it will begin to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM

A Marketplace poster named Scott6113, on Mar 11, 2013, had this to say:

"The video, shocking as it is, does not extrapolate to the future. What will happen if these trends are not unchecked? France 1776 and Russia 1905 provide clues. The top 1% in the US are not entrepreneurs, are not benefactors and are not job creators. They are untitled royalty with apparent government as their puppet. In good times, they claim to be libertarians. In bad times, they raid the US treasury for bailouts. They control the information flow. Most of what you know is exactly what they want you to know. Shortly the underclass, the 47% Romney derided will have nothing left to lose and civil unrest will ensue. Occupy Wall Street is just the beginning."

What are you going to do?

Wow Sad

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by karinda on Mar 24, 2013

Thanks to Jon Corzine. No No

One reason he got run outta town on a rail !

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story