Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Winners should build/sustain common charity fund

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 4 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
CHERRY HILL, NJ
United States
Member #130213
July 9, 2012
387 Posts
Posted: March 28, 2013, 7:45 am - IP Logged

The NJ PB Winner said he will help his family. I applaud him for that. I also wish he will be the first one to start a single charity fund that other lottery winners, past and future, can contribute to.

I think this fund can grow very easily and make a huge impact on the lives of many.

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: March 28, 2013, 7:50 am - IP Logged

The NJ PB Winner said he will help his family. I applaud him for that. I also wish he will be the first one to start a single charity fund that other lottery winners, past and future, can contribute to.

I think this fund can grow very easily and make a huge impact on the lives of many.

People would like to choose what charity they give to...It's a great idea though....Don't think he'd come up with this idea on his own though

CHERRY HILL, NJ
      United States
      Member #130213
      July 9, 2012
      387 Posts
      Posted: March 28, 2013, 8:02 am - IP Logged

People would like to choose what charity they give to...It's a great idea though....Don't think he'd come up with this idea on his own though

I still believe in "Build it and they will come". It will be great if all State Lotteries will support this idea. Theres a lot of money flowing out of the lotteries and a small percentage of that focused on a common fund will be a positive thing.

CHERRY HILL, NJ
        United States
        Member #130213
        July 9, 2012
        387 Posts
        Posted: March 28, 2013, 8:12 am - IP Logged

I was in a retailer yesterday and there was this guy who thought the PB winner will bring his winnings over to the Dominican Republic where hes from. He respect the fact that the guy won and its his money. But the thought of US $$$$ moving offshore bothers him.

IMHO, the Dominican Republic while poor is much better off than their neighbors in Haiti. They are a hardworking and family oriented group of folks. I think the taxes he paid for his winnings are enough and he should know best how to spend his $$$. If it helps the Dominican Republic, I am all for it.

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: March 28, 2013, 8:51 am - IP Logged

Upon my first jackpot win, I plan on setting up a trust fund for past, present and future lottery winners that lost it all.   Twitch

The charity fund will be dubbed "The Jack Whittaker Emergency Relief Fund".   Noel

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3300 Posts
            Posted: March 28, 2013, 9:22 am - IP Logged

Upon my first jackpot win, I plan on setting up a trust fund for past, present and future lottery winners that lost it all.   Twitch

The charity fund will be dubbed "The Jack Whittaker Emergency Relief Fund".   Noel

i was thinking id pay them  a few $1000 to talk to them and learn from their mistakes, kind of " financial misadvisors " maybe write a book,

" how not to win the lotto "  based on their stories. after the book is written. i would have some sound grounding in what not to do.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
              Member #130815
              July 25, 2012
              1636 Posts
              Posted: March 28, 2013, 10:17 am - IP Logged

I still believe in "Build it and they will come". It will be great if all State Lotteries will support this idea. Theres a lot of money flowing out of the lotteries and a small percentage of that focused on a common fund will be a positive thing.

EEEhhh it's still kinda pushy...i mean you could build it and they could not come....Cause people dont really like to be to told give to charity they like to make that choice on their own....say it's established and at the press conference they ask you in front of God and everybody if you're going to give to it...Well you'd feel like a heel if you said no...Or say you don't do the press conference and just decide not to give to it they may say "they didnt even give to the state charity thing" or whatever you'll call it...Nobody likes to feel pressured into giving to a charity...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10353 Posts
                Posted: March 28, 2013, 10:17 am - IP Logged

Is Pumpi back?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #130815
                  July 25, 2012
                  1636 Posts
                  Posted: March 28, 2013, 10:18 am - IP Logged

i was thinking id pay them  a few $1000 to talk to them and learn from their mistakes, kind of " financial misadvisors " maybe write a book,

" how not to win the lotto "  based on their stories. after the book is written. i would have some sound grounding in what not to do.

No i wouldnt pay them one cent they could hold on to their millions they aren't going to blow mine LOL

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #129225
                    June 13, 2012
                    546 Posts
                    Posted: March 28, 2013, 10:47 am - IP Logged

For me personally I would not put my charitable contributions into any type of "community" fund.  I would want to make the decisions of the groups I would like to benefit and not be co-mingled with others.  I wouldn't even put it into the community fund where I live, I see their grants that they make and I cringe everytime.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19830 Posts
                      Posted: March 28, 2013, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

Why don't you write up that idea in a formal proposal and send it to him, he's probably looking for some good free financial advice.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                        Massachusetts
                        United States
                        Member #37433
                        April 14, 2006
                        2747 Posts
                        Posted: March 28, 2013, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

There are different charities because givers have different feelings on different needs. For example, many people would never give money to Planned Parenthood and for that reason alone they would hesitate to donate money to that common fund which they cannot control.  I don't think your proposed idea would fly.

That money's gone fo ever

London
                          United Kingdom
                          Member #140684
                          March 24, 2013
                          566 Posts
                          Posted: March 28, 2013, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

If I won big, I wouldn't just donate to a foundation. I would actually go and buy items to help, just so I know my money hasn't gone to waste.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                            California
                            United States
                            Member #112364
                            June 17, 2011
                            661 Posts
                            Posted: March 28, 2013, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

No thanks. I would like to have a complete control of which charities I am going to donate. There are some charities that I will never donate my money to.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19830 Posts
                              Posted: March 28, 2013, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

Jack Whittaker, a PB jackpot winner set up a charity like that with a board of three local ministers and contributed $20M of his winnings to it and the only stories I ever read about it were from people complaining about it.  When ever his name comes up, no body ever thinks of the money he gave to charities.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking