Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why arent people ashamed when asking complete strangers for money??

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 4 years ago by d1nnl2.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: March 28, 2013, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

Why ?? Why would you feel totally comfortable in asking a lottery winner or anyone you don't know from Adam for money??? I would be to embarrassed to just write a letter to a complete stranger and ask for some ungodly amount of money!!! Much less come up to them in person...I dont know how in the world I'd handle that as a lottery winner....I would hope saying no would be the answer...and I'd hope that I would have to do anything more serious than that....

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
    Jacksonville Florida
    United States
    Member #23018
    October 6, 2005
    918 Posts
    Posted: March 28, 2013, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

Why ?? Why would you feel totally comfortable in asking a lottery winner or anyone you don't know from Adam for money??? I would be to embarrassed to just write a letter to a complete stranger and ask for some ungodly amount of money!!! Much less come up to them in person...I dont know how in the world I'd handle that as a lottery winner....I would hope saying no would be the answer...and I'd hope that I would have to do anything more serious than that....

It depends on the meaning people attach to money. Different people attach different meanings. If someone works hard for their money and believes others should to, they would have a problem with asking others for money. If someone believes that they are entitled to other people's money (for whatever reasons) then they will have no problem asking for money.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
      Member #52345
      May 21, 2007
      2659 Posts
      Posted: March 28, 2013, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

It depends on the meaning people attach to money. Different people attach different meanings. If someone works hard for their money and believes others should to, they would have a problem with asking others for money. If someone believes that they are entitled to other people's money (for whatever reasons) then they will have no problem asking for money.

I Agree!

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
        Member #133462
        September 30, 2012
        5946 Posts
        Posted: March 28, 2013, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

If I ever beat the long odds of winning a multi state lottery jackpot, I think it might prove interesting to respond to the barage of letters that will file in once its known. I will have a standard first response form letter similiar to the strategy of what the insurance company did in one of my favorite J. Grisham novels.

Dear Applicant,

Please be advised that your letter was received in good faith, but as you might imagine, there are thousands of others that are appealing for assistance many of whom are suffering more dire circumstances than you.

I will document your request in my system and ask that you follow up two years from the date of your original correspondence. Do this only if your situation remains the same or has gotten worse. Contacting me before that time will result in your application being disqualified permanently.

Sincerely,

Good Samaritan

"Everything works  ONCE!"

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3300 Posts
          Posted: March 28, 2013, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

If I ever beat the long odds of winning a multi state lottery jackpot, I think it might prove interesting to respond to the barage of letters that will file in once its known. I will have a standard first response form letter similiar to the strategy of what the insurance company did in one of my favorite J. Grisham novels.

Dear Applicant,

Please be advised that your letter was received in good faith, but as you might imagine, there are thousands of others that are appealing for assistance many of whom are suffering more dire circumstances than you.

I will document your request in my system and ask that you follow up two years from the date of your original correspondence. Do this only if your situation remains the same or has gotten worse. Contacting me before that time will result in your application being disqualified permanently.

Sincerely,

Good Samaritan

i like it, I would only change it to 5 years, then respond in 4.5 years begging for money because I blew all the lotto money.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
            California
            United States
            Member #112364
            June 17, 2011
            661 Posts
            Posted: March 28, 2013, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

Asking a lottery winner for money is not only degrading to those who ask for money but even more degrading to the lottery winner themselves. I would feel as if someone pushes me in the corner.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
              Member #52345
              May 21, 2007
              2659 Posts
              Posted: March 28, 2013, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

i like it, I would only change it to 5 years, then respond in 4.5 years begging for money because I blew all the lotto money.

I like it to .... but then I'd change it to 10 years and hope they'll have forgotten

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #94283
                July 17, 2010
                2284 Posts
                Posted: March 28, 2013, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

laughing smiley face emoticon

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: March 28, 2013, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

I Agree!

London
                    United Kingdom
                    Member #140684
                    March 24, 2013
                    566 Posts
                    Posted: March 28, 2013, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

I get asked for money and I haven't even won the lottery, had 3 so called charity workers knock on my door asking for donations. I know for a fact that some of them are not legit and scammers.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19828 Posts
                      Posted: March 28, 2013, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

I get asked for money and I haven't even won the lottery, had 3 so called charity workers knock on my door asking for donations. I know for a fact that some of them are not legit and scammers.

There are professional fund raisers and professional beggars, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

London
                        United Kingdom
                        Member #140684
                        March 24, 2013
                        566 Posts
                        Posted: March 28, 2013, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

There are professional fund raisers and professional beggars, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

That's true.

Hey ho, Euromillions on Friday 110M.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                          United States
                          Member #130213
                          July 9, 2012
                          387 Posts
                          Posted: March 28, 2013, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

Just like the NY Lottery slogan says, "Because you never know". Hyper

sully16's avatar - sharan
                            Ringleader
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #81740
                            October 28, 2009
                            40497 Posts
                            Posted: March 28, 2013, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

So true, many have their hands out, sick of looking at them.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                              Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4108 Posts
                              Posted: March 28, 2013, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

Asking a lottery winner for money is not only degrading to those who ask for money but even more degrading to the lottery winner themselves. I would feel as if someone pushes me in the corner.

Its no different than someone standing at stoplights who attempt to wash your windows & want $5-$10 for both or $5.00 for the driver's side windshield... I was " offered a choice"..can you  believe that?
                              I asked this guy who was attempting to make a sale out of curiosity , where was the cut off point on my windshield for my side only and he said " he knows cause he does it all the time".