Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why arent people ashamed when asking complete strangers for money??

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 4 years ago by d1nnl2.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
CHERRY HILL, NJ
United States
Member #130213
July 9, 2012
387 Posts
Posted: March 28, 2013, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

How about the guy from the Bronx with the sign, "Why LIE ? I need a joint and a beer". Would you throw a change his way ?

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3475 Posts
    Posted: March 28, 2013, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

If I ever beat the long odds of winning a multi state lottery jackpot, I think it might prove interesting to respond to the barage of letters that will file in once its known. I will have a standard first response form letter similiar to the strategy of what the insurance company did in one of my favorite J. Grisham novels.

Dear Applicant,

Please be advised that your letter was received in good faith, but as you might imagine, there are thousands of others that are appealing for assistance many of whom are suffering more dire circumstances than you.

I will document your request in my system and ask that you follow up two years from the date of your original correspondence. Do this only if your situation remains the same or has gotten worse. Contacting me before that time will result in your application being disqualified permanently.

Sincerely,

Good Samaritan

If I won enough to make really substantial donations perhaps I'd charge a fee for having grant applications evaluated. Let people know I'm planning on donating some of the money, and make sure they know that any request without  a  US postal money order for $250, a copy of their credit report, and a notarized authorization allowing me to order my own copy of their credit report goes straight into the trash. If they can't convince somebody local that their cause is legit and to pony up the modest fee why should I devote any effort to it? If their plight was legitimate I could always refund the fee even if I didn't do anything else for them. A $250 fee would be adequate to cover the cost of having somebody weed out the obvious trash and do a basic investigation of the plausible claims.

As for the original question about people asking, there are basically two types of people who would ask. There are people who are genuinely desperate, and may ask despite being ashamed, and there are the people who are simply trying to scam you. Why would you even ask about the latter group being ashamed?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10354 Posts
      Posted: March 29, 2013, 11:21 am - IP Logged

Part of the reason some people aren't ashamed asking for money from winners (or anyone with money) is the entitlement nindset. Let others work for it, earn it, or win it, and demand a cut. Borders on the transfer of wealth mentality.

I remember one jackpot winner on one of the lottery shows said when her sister-in-law found out she won she said, "Now that we've won......"

Lone Ranger: Well Tonto looks like we're surrounded by Indians, we've had it

Tonto: What mean we, kemo sabe?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6290 Posts
        Posted: March 29, 2013, 11:31 am - IP Logged

It depends on the meaning people attach to money. Different people attach different meanings. If someone works hard for their money and believes others should to, they would have a problem with asking others for money. If someone believes that they are entitled to other people's money (for whatever reasons) then they will have no problem asking for money.

I Agree!

I Love Pink & Green 1908

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: March 29, 2013, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

How about the guy from the Bronx with the sign, "Why LIE ? I need a joint and a beer". Would you throw a change his way ?

The guy obviously didn't understand the difference between "wants" and "needs"

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

CHERRY HILL, NJ
            United States
            Member #130213
            July 9, 2012
            387 Posts
            Posted: March 29, 2013, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

The guy obviously didn't understand the difference between "wants" and "needs"

So insightful. I guess if he did, he wouldn't be holding that sign up in traffic.