Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would the lottery get upset if we post pictures of TOP PRIZE scratch off tickets?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Jon D.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
California
United States
Member #112364
June 17, 2011
661 Posts
Posted: March 30, 2013, 12:56 am - IP Logged

I don't think they care if we post a picture of $100, $500 or $1,000 winner but what if somebody posts a picture of their top prize winning scratch-off - 100K or more? Do you think it is possible that the lottery would get upset? They may not want the public to know which batch it came from. Like the recent CA 6.5M LFL. The lottery posted a picture of the top prize winning ticket but the ticket number was not shown. I wonder if they would get very upset if the winner were an LP member and posted a complete picture of the winning ticket including the ticket number.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
    Oklahoma
    United States
    Member #82391
    November 12, 2009
    6305 Posts
    Posted: March 30, 2013, 8:33 am - IP Logged

Probably should run it by Todd. Good ideaThumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23352 Posts
      Posted: March 30, 2013, 8:59 am - IP Logged

Of course you could post it -- the ticket is your property, you can do whatever you like with it.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

LA CA
        United States
        Member #118691
        November 6, 2011
        416 Posts
        Posted: March 30, 2013, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

Of course you can. Its your ticket and you can do whatever you want with it.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: March 30, 2013, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

On the question if they'd be upset: probably. Would they do anything about it? Doubtful. But I would still wait until after the winnings are deposited into my bank account first, even if I did decide to post the ticket for the benefit of others.

Why would they be upset? Well, they generally don't like putting out any information that they fear would hurt sales. Take the ticket mentioned previously for large top prize. If the winning ticket was posted showing ticket pack number 121456 for example, and someone tweeted out to the world, "hey, don't buy any tickets with pack numbers from 115000-129999" then that might affect sales a bit. Is that really true and would it give you an advantage in winning the next one? Questionable, maybe just peace of mind. But Sales on the game could be negatively impacted.

Additionally, wins under $600 are all anonymous, but any over that have to be claimed, so the complete ticket number or lottery number directly identifies you if someone was looking for it. Would be advisable to cover up the numbers for >$600 tickets when posting if you want to remain anonymous. Of course, if you win a large top prize, the picture holding the ginormous check on the website directly identifies you too, unless you opt out of the promotion.

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            42186 Posts
            Posted: March 31, 2013, 11:04 am - IP Logged

go ahead, it's yours

HyperBe Happy.

Hollywood, fl
              United States
              Member #140096
              March 10, 2013
              376 Posts
              Posted: March 31, 2013, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

Well I know if I ever get a win of 100,000 or more ill put a pic up here as soon as I cash it in

If anyone else here on LP has one especially from Florida I'd love to see it

Chris$'s avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
                P A
                United States
                Member #117331
                October 3, 2011
                7094 Posts
                Posted: March 31, 2013, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

As far as I know, there is nothing saying you cant show it off. I would put it anywhere I please.

♠♣♥♦= $$$$

Miami, Florida
                  United States
                  Member #111795
                  June 2, 2011
                  581 Posts
                  Posted: March 31, 2013, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

Well I know if I ever get a win of 100,000 or more ill put a pic up here as soon as I cash it in

If anyone else here on LP has one especially from Florida I'd love to see it

Th....

I don't know if you have ever seen it, and I can't recall exactly where it's posted, but BRizzle on here has previously posted his win of 250k......it's in one of the forums. I'm only mentioning him by name because he has posted it before and it's not like he is looking for anonymity as far as I am aware. So, if you have the time (unless someone can post a link to it) then take a look through some of the older forums and you can find a picture of a 250k winner from Florida. Hopefully you or I get to have one of our own!!! I will certainly post a picture if I ever hit a big one!!!! I will most certainly take plenty of pictures of it so that it can be uploaded after everything is finalized through Tallahassee......IF I hit a big one, it will definitely be posted!

Atlanta, Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #135078
                    November 14, 2012
                    31 Posts
                    Posted: March 31, 2013, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/226512/435

About halfway down the page is the big winner you are talking about.

Hollywood, fl
                      United States
                      Member #140096
                      March 10, 2013
                      376 Posts
                      Posted: March 31, 2013, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/226512/435

About halfway down the page is the big winner you are talking about.

wow that was a nice pic, my highest so far is $2000 off a $5 tik but if i ever get more ill let you guys know

good luck

Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: April 14, 2013, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Saw this photocopy of a ticket posted in a store. It's just a small $10,000 win, but still a hard top prize at 1-in-600,000 odds:

10XtheMoneytopprizeposted

Interesting that is was also a single number match, like the one posted above. Single number matches are often small ticket value wins, and are often mistakenly thrown away. It's like they *want* people to overlook the top prize win and throw it away??? Hmmm...

Hollywood, fl
                          United States
                          Member #140096
                          March 10, 2013
                          376 Posts
                          Posted: April 14, 2013, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

Saw this photocopy of a ticket posted in a store. It's just a small $10,000 win, but still a hard top prize at 1-in-600,000 odds:

Interesting that is was also a single number match, like the one posted above. Single number matches are often small ticket value wins, and are often mistakenly thrown away. It's like they *want* people to overlook the top prize win and throw it away??? Hmmm...

Exactly if people don't claim the prizes they make more money

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                            California
                            United States
                            Member #112364
                            June 17, 2011
                            661 Posts
                            Posted: April 14, 2013, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

Is it a recent win? I bought the same game but the batch number was around 24x,xxx in December 2012. The jackpot winning ticket from the photo is 194,264.

Los Angeles, California
                              United States
                              Member #103813
                              January 5, 2011
                              1530 Posts
                              Posted: April 14, 2013, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

Is it a recent win? I bought the same game but the batch number was around 24x,xxx in December 2012. The jackpot winning ticket from the photo is 194,264.

The store had a date scribbled on the paper of a just few days ago.

If we assume the pack numbers are printed sequentially, which I believe they are, then this pack 194264 would be in batch #16 with pack numbers 190000-195999.(100 tickets per pack, and 6000 packs per batch) You could avoid this range if you believed in this stuff, but the advantage you get is minimal at best.