Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would the lottery get upset if we post pictures of TOP PRIZE scratch off tickets?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Jon D.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
California
United States
Member #112364
June 17, 2011
661 Posts
Posted: April 14, 2013, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

The store had a date scribbled on the paper of a just few days ago.

If we assume the pack numbers are printed sequentially, which I believe they are, then this pack 194264 would be in batch #16 with pack numbers 190000-195999.(100 tickets per pack, and 6000 packs per batch) You could avoid this range if you believed in this stuff, but the advantage you get is minimal at best.

Hmm, interesting. The ticket I bought 4 months ago had a pack #24x,xxx. The ticket won a few days ago had a pack#194,264.

I wonder why that is. Is it a very slow moving store with not much customers visiting the store?

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
    Los Angeles, California
    United States
    Member #103813
    January 5, 2011
    1530 Posts
    Posted: April 14, 2013, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

Hmm, interesting. The ticket I bought 4 months ago had a pack #24x,xxx. The ticket won a few days ago had a pack#194,264.

I wonder why that is. Is it a very slow moving store with not much customers visiting the store?

In general, the pack numbers start low and then increase through the life of the game. But due to various distribution issues in different parts of the state, sometimes you see older pack numbers. It all depends on what the distributor/vendor gives the store.

This may be a good thing if there are a lot of top prizes outstanding. Or if there are not, then it could be a bad thing, they are just recycling old stock without top prizes from other regions of the state or from closed stores, etc.

Right now, 10X the Money is about 75% sold through. That equates to a pack number of 293578.(batch #33 of 43) Lower than that are older stock, higher than that are newer stock. The game has about 3-4 top prizes overdue, so those may be in the lower numbered packs. But higher packs may contain a top prize or two as well.

Batch Pack-lo Pack-hi
    1 100000 105999
    16 190000 195999
    33 292000 297999
    43 352000 357999

Disclaimer: the above is all conjecture and purely speculative.

ATL
      United States
      Member #121200
      January 4, 2012
      11 Posts
      Posted: April 17, 2013, 3:29 am - IP Logged

On a few ocassions the store has had open sequential books. Bought the last four $2 tickets (096-099) from the book lost on all of them. Bought the first two tickets (001&002) of the next book and won $10 on the first and $3 on the second. The tickets are made to go in sequential order, the idea of a book is just a group of tickets printed in order. I think only Texas has the min payout per book. I've always tried to get a really low number book on the day that games come out but they never come to my area.

Best Wins GA - 50x The Money 50x Symbol $5 ($250) Twice    CT - Fast Cash $500 & Crown Jewel 7's $500

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8363 Posts
        Posted: April 17, 2013, 3:49 am - IP Logged

Exactly if people don't claim the prizes they make more money

when people fail to claim the prizes the money is rolled into promotional games in most states.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: April 17, 2013, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

On a few ocassions the store has had open sequential books. Bought the last four $2 tickets (096-099) from the book lost on all of them. Bought the first two tickets (001&002) of the next book and won $10 on the first and $3 on the second. The tickets are made to go in sequential order, the idea of a book is just a group of tickets printed in order. I think only Texas has the min payout per book. I've always tried to get a really low number book on the day that games come out but they never come to my area.

I think only Texas has the min payout per book.

I disagree.

Texas is just a lot more forthcoming with disclosure about it's scratch games. They are the only one I've seen actually publishing a minimum pack value on their website.

But that doesn't mean that other states don't also have a minimum pack value just because they don't publish it. There are lots of states that have varying degrees of disclosure about prize tier updates, etc.

These scratch games are made by just a couple of companies: Scientific Games and GTECH Printing. The same algorithms and pseudorandom schedules are probably in place for all of their state lottery customers.

Just like ticket number, I don't think you can tell anything about where a top prize is by the pack number. The single top prize could be in any pack within a batch.

Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103813
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: April 17, 2013, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

when people fail to claim the prizes the money is rolled into promotional games in most states.

In CA, large draw/lotto prizes that are unclaimed can go straight to education funding, not put back in the prize pool for other use.

Scratch games are different. All the unclaimed tickets of varying size just end up making the game return less than it it should.(say, 69% instead of 71%) They can then use those funds to cover unexpeced prize liability from draw/lotto games, or offer additional promotions like raffles and 2nd chance, or create better scratch games.