Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 10:48 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if you joined a pool, did you vet the other players for honesty before jumping in feet first?

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 4 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4144 Posts
Posted: April 5, 2013, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Just wondering, based on some recent horror stories.
Hairstylists are told by fellow pool player  " l won the jackpot last night with a ticket l bought seperately - but you guys are not part of my winning , sorry"   kinda thing.
How would you gauge honesty with this bunch since you the newbie?

United States
    Member #128790
    June 2, 2012
    5431 Posts
    Posted: April 5, 2013, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

Hairstylists are told by fellow pool player  " l won the jackpot last night with a ticket l bought seperately - but you guys are not part of my winning , sorry"   kinda thing.

Simple, you tell one or a few of your coworkers ahead of time who are in the pool, that you will be purchasing your own personal tickets that day, and you will gladly show them to anyone who wants to see. Problem solved. Big Grin

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
      u$a
      United States
      Member #106665
      February 22, 2011
      19964 Posts
      Posted: April 6, 2013, 3:50 am - IP Logged

1. well if i was in charge of the pool i think i would always buy my tickets on a different day.

or

2. let someone else take care of getting the pool tickets that way your personal tickets has nothing to do with that pool.

Approve

Let it Snow Snowman

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
        adelaide sa
        Australia
        Member #37136
        April 11, 2006
        3315 Posts
        Posted: April 6, 2013, 4:18 am - IP Logged

any work pool i have been in has always  handed out photo copies of the  tickets purchased.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: April 6, 2013, 7:38 am - IP Logged

1. well if i was in charge of the pool i think i would always buy my tickets on a different day.

or

2. let someone else take care of getting the pool tickets that way your personal tickets has nothing to do with that pool.

Approve

Point 2 is good but anytime your in charge of buying the tickets you can always be sued if you win the jackpot claiming that your ticket was not on in the pool itself..They can always say you may have held back a ticket and not put it in the pool...Judge would probaly err on the side of caution and make you split it with them...

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
            Indiana
            United States
            Member #129225
            June 13, 2012
            546 Posts
            Posted: April 6, 2013, 7:39 am - IP Logged

I take a picture of the tickets with my mobile device and send it out in a text to everyone in the pool.  I then put the tickets in an envelope marking it with a date, time and location the tickets were purchased and then I seal it.  This is done obviously prior to the drawing.  I purchase my personal tickets seperatly.

Georgia
              United States
              Member #136375
              December 9, 2012
              112 Posts
              Posted: April 6, 2013, 8:05 am - IP Logged

Good Morning Everyone!

Happy Saturday!  I am new to LP and this is only my second post to LP, however I thought I would share how our office handles our lottery pool. We have one person to collect the money and either they go get the tickets or someone else from the office gets the ticket. When they come back they make a copy of all the tickets and the names who provided the money and how much and it is distributed to all the people who play.  This way if you bought a separate ticket for the lottery and your ticket wins they can see if the number was in the lottery pool or if it was actually there own ticket.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                NY State
                United States
                Member #92609
                June 10, 2010
                3814 Posts
                Posted: April 6, 2013, 8:27 am - IP Logged

I take a picture of the tickets with my mobile device and send it out in a text to everyone in the pool.  I then put the tickets in an envelope marking it with a date, time and location the tickets were purchased and then I seal it.  This is done obviously prior to the drawing.  I purchase my personal tickets seperatly.

I run a pool at work.  Generally , I dont buy any personal tickets, but there have been a few times when I did.

The few times that I did buy my own, it was for a state run raffle. It had very low odds to win 1 Million dollars. (275,000:1) and not everyone in the pool chose to partcipate because the tickets cost 10 dollars each. So I collected 10 bucks from just those that wanted in.

I bought the pools tickets and my own at the same place and time as I bought the pool's.  I then took ALL of the tickets I purchased back to work, put them on my desk, and had the pool members chose one ticket each. (they were to keep it until the drawing, not me) The remaining tickets on my desk were the ones I bought/took for myself.

I then asked each person to sign their name on the back of ticket they were holding. I then photocopied them all, (both sides of the tickets) and gave each pool member a photocopy of the tickets the other pool members were holding.  That way everyone could see who was holding which ticket. I also gave them each a copy of just the one ticket I signed that was to be included in the pool.  (I know this sounds like a lot of work, but there was just eight of us in the pool.)

To answer the question the OP posed, yeah, while I didnt "vett" those guys, I've known them for a very long time and I trust them.  They all joked about runnning off to exoctic destinations with "their" million bucks. (as did I)  That's exactly how I knew I could trust them.  I realize this is NOT a foolproof method to keep from getting taken by someone that's less than honest. In fact, if you do this, and someone does decide to keep all the money, you'll probably have one helluva time getting your share.   I didnt document anything and have everyone sign it etc, so this is "loosey goosey" at best.  It all comes down to trusting those other guys, and I did.  It didnt matter anyway, we didnt win the million bucks!

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6290 Posts
                  Posted: April 6, 2013, 8:44 am - IP Logged

It's best to have rules and document everything. Then make sure you don't buy your ticket on the same day you buy the group ticket. Also don't buy your personal ticket from the same store .

I Love Pink & Green 1908

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
                    NY State
                    United States
                    Member #92609
                    June 10, 2010
                    3814 Posts
                    Posted: April 6, 2013, 8:45 am - IP Logged

I run a pool at work.  Generally , I dont buy any personal tickets, but there have been a few times when I did.

The few times that I did buy my own, it was for a state run raffle. It had very low odds to win 1 Million dollars. (275,000:1) and not everyone in the pool chose to partcipate because the tickets cost 10 dollars each. So I collected 10 bucks from just those that wanted in.

I bought the pools tickets and my own at the same place and time as I bought the pool's.  I then took ALL of the tickets I purchased back to work, put them on my desk, and had the pool members chose one ticket each. (they were to keep it until the drawing, not me) The remaining tickets on my desk were the ones I bought/took for myself.

I then asked each person to sign their name on the back of ticket they were holding. I then photocopied them all, (both sides of the tickets) and gave each pool member a photocopy of the tickets the other pool members were holding.  That way everyone could see who was holding which ticket. I also gave them each a copy of just the one ticket I signed that was to be included in the pool.  (I know this sounds like a lot of work, but there was just eight of us in the pool.)

To answer the question the OP posed, yeah, while I didnt "vett" those guys, I've known them for a very long time and I trust them.  They all joked about runnning off to exoctic destinations with "their" million bucks. (as did I)  That's exactly how I knew I could trust them.  I realize this is NOT a foolproof method to keep from getting taken by someone that's less than honest. In fact, if you do this, and someone does decide to keep all the money, you'll probably have one helluva time getting your share.   I didnt document anything and have everyone sign it etc, so this is "loosey goosey" at best.  It all comes down to trusting those other guys, and I did.  It didnt matter anyway, we didnt win the million bucks!

PS:  One guy in the pool asked me "Why are you doing all of this?  We trust you."  (In the regular pool, I just photocopy the front of all the tickets and hand them out because I keep all tickets in my possession.) 

I told him it was because the group was aware of the fact that I had bought my own personal tickets, and that they could be sure if I won on one of those, that I had not pulled a "switcharoo" by switching my group ticket with one of my personal tickets. (It was physically impossible for me to switch the tickets they each held.)

He laughed and said, "Yeah! It protects YOU from US!"  I said "Exactly."

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: April 6, 2013, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

Good Morning Everyone!

Happy Saturday!  I am new to LP and this is only my second post to LP, however I thought I would share how our office handles our lottery pool. We have one person to collect the money and either they go get the tickets or someone else from the office gets the ticket. When they come back they make a copy of all the tickets and the names who provided the money and how much and it is distributed to all the people who play.  This way if you bought a separate ticket for the lottery and your ticket wins they can see if the number was in the lottery pool or if it was actually there own ticket.

Welcome to Lottery Post, blessings, and good luck to you.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: April 6, 2013, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to Lottery Post, blessings, and good luck to you.

I Agree! Welcome to LP.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                          u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19964 Posts
                          Posted: April 6, 2013, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

TLC how Lottery changed my life is on @ 12NOON today Smiley

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: April 6, 2013, 12:32 pm - IP Logged

TLC how Lottery changed my life is on @ 12NOON today Smiley

I wanna BEA Winner, not C A Winner..............

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
                              Member #133462
                              September 30, 2012
                              5946 Posts
                              Posted: April 6, 2013, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

If I were to join/run a pool I would be fine because tickets I buy for myself would be self picks. The only strategy in being in a pool is to buy a large number of quick picks in hopes of a long shot win. Members couldn't possibly sue as the written agreement would clearly articulate that quick picks are bought for every drawing.

If I can recall though, in every instance where I read a pool was suing its leader, tickets were not copied, scanned and e-mailed prior to the drawing. So I too would assume some 'hanky panky' was going on in the background.

"Everything works  ONCE!"