Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Playing PB with The Power Play in New York?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 4 years ago by GiveFive.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
NY State
United States
Member #92609
June 10, 2010
3685 Posts
Posted: April 8, 2013, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

I realize that approximately 20% of all PowerBall ticket sales are sold with the Power Play option, but are you buying the Power Play option and live in or near New York State? 

If you are consider this:

In PB with The PP added, your odds of winning two million dollars are 1:5,153,633 and you paid $3 per line.

If you played the same set of numbers twice on a Sweet Million  ticket, you'd win 2 million dollars. (Beacuse the first 5 JP winners in Sweet Million are NOT pari-mutuel) and the odds of winning it are 1:3,838,380.  You also paid $2 for each line you played twice.

Why in the world are you buying the Power Play??????

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
    Member #94616
    July 24, 2010
    4735 Posts
    Posted: April 8, 2013, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

I realize that approximately 20% of all PowerBall ticket sales are sold with the Power Play option, but are you buying the Power Play option and live in or near New York State? 

In PB with The PP added, your odds of winning two million dollars are 1:5,153,633 and you paid $3 per line.

If you played the same set of numbers twice on a Sweet Million  ticket, you'd win 2 million dollars. (Beacuse the first 5 JP winners in Sweet Million are NOT pari-mutuel) and the odds of winning it are 1:3,838,380.  You also paid $2 for each line you played twice.

WOW, thanks for the breakdown on the numbers!  I never liked it when PB went to $2 a play - I RARELY play it.. 

NY State
      United States
      Member #92609
      June 10, 2010
      3685 Posts
      Posted: April 9, 2013, 6:17 am - IP Logged

WOW, thanks for the breakdown on the numbers!  I never liked it when PB went to $2 a play - I RARELY play it.. 

When it's over 150 million, I've been playing PB and buying the PP too. 

I did that because the odds are much lower (down to 5 million to 1 from 175 million to 1).  I was playing to win two million dollars more so than I was playing to win the JP. 

But after I thought about it, I realized I could win 2 million playing SM by having the same set of 6 numbers on my ticket twice, and it would cost me a dollar less per line than PB with the PP. (Not to mention the odds are 1.3 million to 1 lower in SM than PB.) 

Also, all the pay outs are doubled if you hit 3 or more numbers.  Of course if you wanted to get crazy, you could play the same set of 6 numbers on 5 lines of your ticket.....  but 5 bucks a line is a little steep....

Most New York lottery player's dont care for Sweet Million.  IMHO, they dont have their thnking caps on.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
        Member #94616
        July 24, 2010
        4735 Posts
        Posted: April 10, 2013, 4:10 am - IP Logged

" they dont have their thnking caps on"

good thing you do !! 

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #82391
          November 12, 2009
          6290 Posts
          Posted: April 10, 2013, 9:20 am - IP Logged

Good observation GiveFiveThumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United Kingdom
            Member #141295
            April 10, 2013
            1 Posts
            Posted: April 10, 2013, 9:23 am - IP Logged

I have never played it, how can I join the club of players ?

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3471 Posts
              Posted: April 10, 2013, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

If you can calculate the odds of winning $40 million or more with a Sweet Millions ticket you'll know why  people still play powerball in NY.

What puzzles me is why so many people play PB or MM when they're at low levels and the lotto prize gets high.  For March 22nd and 23rd MM was advertising a $20 million jackpot and lotto was advertising a $24 million jackpot. For anyone who was paying attention, the 2nd place lotto prize was $224k, compared to the $250k 2nd place MM prize. Both tickets are $1 and the odds of winning the lotto jackpot are almost 8 times better. Players still bought about twice as many MM tickets a lotto tickets.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10344 Posts
                Posted: April 10, 2013, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

GiveFive,

Sweet Million, 5 of 6 (much more likely to happen, no?) pays a whopping $500, which is an insult when the odds are 1:18, 815.59

Powerball, 4 + the Powerball pays 4 + Powerball $10,000 $40,000 1 in: 648,976.

Maybe that's why. The lower tier prizes are much more enticing.

To each their own, but I'd be a little ticked off wining $500 in a Pick 6 game as opposed to a $40,000 score in a 5 + 1 game, even if it did cost an extra buck.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                  Columbus, Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #128906
                  June 5, 2012
                  591 Posts
                  Posted: April 10, 2013, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

GiveFive,

Sweet Million, 5 of 6 (much more likely to happen, no?) pays a whopping $500, which is an insult when the odds are 1:18, 815.59

To each their own, but I'd be a little ticked off wining $500 in a Pick 6 game as opposed to a $40,000 score in a 5 + 1 game, even if it did cost an extra buck.

I agree, thats why I do MM and PB

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7295 Posts
                    Posted: April 10, 2013, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

GiveFive,

It looked to me like GiveFive was comparing the odds of winning $2 million in one game to the odds of winning the same amount in another game. If the odds were exactly the same against winning $1 million and for the same two bucks, you get one PB ticket and two Sweet Million tickets. One $3 Powerplay ticket gives you one chance at $2 million and three $1 tickets with the same numbers gives you one chance at $3 million.

For the same price, one way you get two chances compared to one for the same payoff and the other you get $1 million more.

"To each their own, but I'd be a little ticked off wining $500 in a Pick 6 game as opposed to a $40,000 score in a 5 + 1 game, even if it did cost an extra buck."

If they were comparing the odds of winning $500, the odds playing a pick-3 number are much better. I'd be more ticked if I beat the odds of 1 in 19,088 of matching four numbers on a $3 PB ticket and only won $200 knowing the odds of matching 5 out of 6 is slightly better with 1 in 18,816 on a $1 dollar Sweet Million ticket and the payoff is $500.

I agree with "to each their own" except when the odds against winning $40,000 on a $3 ticket are 34 times larger than winning $500 on a $1 ticket.

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10344 Posts
                      Posted: April 11, 2013, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Stack47,

I agree with "to each their own" except when the odds against winning $40,000 on a $3 ticket are 34 times larger than winning $500 on a $1 ticket.

Let's just agree to call it a sticky wicket as $40,000 is $35,500 better than $500!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY State
                        United States
                        Member #92609
                        June 10, 2010
                        3685 Posts
                        Posted: April 11, 2013, 6:16 am - IP Logged

GiveFive,

Your point is well taken Toss.   The lower tier prizes in Sweet Million are definitely insulting. That's exactly why people in NY dont play the game. That, and because the JP doesnt roll over. 

Maybe more players are playing for lower tier prizes than I realize or even give them credit for. I've heard many people say that they're "really playing for second place" in PowerBall.  On the rare occasions when I do play PB, I'm thinking the same way, and I'm guilty of always adding the PowerPlay, even though I know I could pay less money to win that same two milion dollars by playing Sweet Million.

But ya know what?  With my winning percentage/track record, (in  any game) 500 bucks dont look all that bad!

NY State
                          United States
                          Member #92609
                          June 10, 2010
                          3685 Posts
                          Posted: April 11, 2013, 6:35 am - IP Logged

If you can calculate the odds of winning $40 million or more with a Sweet Millions ticket you'll know why  people still play powerball in NY.

What puzzles me is why so many people play PB or MM when they're at low levels and the lotto prize gets high.  For March 22nd and 23rd MM was advertising a $20 million jackpot and lotto was advertising a $24 million jackpot. For anyone who was paying attention, the 2nd place lotto prize was $224k, compared to the $250k 2nd place MM prize. Both tickets are $1 and the odds of winning the lotto jackpot are almost 8 times better. Players still bought about twice as many MM tickets a lotto tickets.

No question about it!  The lure of winning a 40 million dollar JP is very enticing.  And it's impossible to win that amount playing Seet Million.

I also agree with your point about not understanding why people play MM at lower JP levels when Lotto's JP is higher. 

I have a Lotto subscription simply because of the second place prize. I used to have to keep my eye on it, so when It got to a nice amount (like 224k) I would go buy a ticket.  But because more often than not I would forget to buy it, I never got in on the action!  So I solved that problem by subscribing. I also get the added "benefit" of being in Lotto if/when it's JP gets higher than MM's. 

My son and I, and I couldnt possibly tell you why because I dont know why, own a group MM subscription.  I think it was his idea, buy maybe not.  See what I mean about not remembering to buy a lotto ticket when 2nd place gets big?

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10344 Posts
                            Posted: April 12, 2013, 10:46 am - IP Logged

GiveFive,

You make good points also. I'm sure the lure of winning a top prize sevral times over with the same set of numbers playes mulitple times is very alluring and probably what the lottery is counting on.

I've always said that the lotteries are always one step ahead of the players (actually way more than that!).

Illinois has a Pick 5 game- Lucky Day Lotto- with an option called EzMatch- for an extra dollar you get a set of numbers printed on the ticket and if anyone of them natches one of the numbers you played you win from $1 to $500. Here's the catch- the odds againt the jp (5/39) are 575, 757 to 1. The odds again winning the $500 on EzMarch are over 210,000 to 1.

A player would be far better off throwing the extra buck at the pick 5 itself, no?

Lep

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7295 Posts
                              Posted: April 12, 2013, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

Stack47,

Let's just agree to call it a sticky wicket as $40,000 is $35,500 better than $500!

Since GiveFive was comparing the odds of one $3 bet winning $2 million to the odds of one $3 winning $3 million in another game, I compared two of the secondary prizes with similar odds. The odds against winning $200 on a $3 PowerPlay bet is 19,088 to 1 matching 4 + 0 and 12,245 to 1 matching 3 + 1. The odds against winning $500 on a $1 Sweet Million ticket are 18,816 to 1.

I understand what you're saying, but comparing those two games, with two more chances for same price, you're more likely to match 5 of 6 in Sweet Millions than matching 4 + 1 in PB using PowerPlay. The odds of winning $500 in SM with a $1 ticket is about the same as winning $200 with a $3 Powerplay ticket.  Comparing a regular PB ticket to a MM Megaplier, the Megaplier is probably the better bet.