Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won a large jackpot...

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 4 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
Massachusetts
United States
Member #37433
April 14, 2006
2747 Posts
Posted: April 11, 2013, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

Would you consider spending over $10 million on a home?

http://realestate.msn.com/most-beautiful-us-mansions-for-sale-now

I once heard a guy say if he won one of those crazy jackpots he would buy 5 luxury condos in key cities in the country and I liked that idea a lot. A young man with money is unstoppable

That money's gone fo ever

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
    California
    United States
    Member #112364
    June 17, 2011
    661 Posts
    Posted: April 11, 2013, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

I once heard a guy say if he won one of those crazy jackpots he would buy 5 luxury condos in key cities in the country and I liked that idea a lot. A young man with money is unstoppable

Billionaires like Bill Gates bought the entire neighborhood just to avoid neighbors.

CST
      United States
      Member #140593
      March 23, 2013
      26 Posts
      Posted: April 11, 2013, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

For my family, it depends on the size of the jackpot. In my mind, the size of the jackpot is what I have after initial tax, and setting aside the remaining 10% tax I will owe and paying 10% tithe.

I already know where I will be moving to, which is far away from my current residence, in a state with no income tax.

I will spend roughly 10-15% of my winnings on a home (up to 15M purchase price)

Therefore, if I win $70M or more, buying a $10M home will be no issue, as I will be dealing with a least $2M per year in income for expenditures & reinvestment growth.

If after all of my upfront costs of winning a jackpot, I end up with $25M (like the current jackpots). I could never buy a $10M house and feel anything less than strapped, much like I contend with today.

wisconsin
        United States
        Member #130754
        July 23, 2012
        198 Posts
        Posted: April 11, 2013, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

Depends on how large of a jackpot. The only way I'd drop $10 million on a home is if it came with a few hundred acres.

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
          Whiskey Island
          United States
          Member #90216
          April 24, 2010
          12752 Posts
          Posted: April 11, 2013, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

You have already lost the chance at winning with the wrong mind set !! The " If you won a large Jackpot ! ". It shows you have doubt about ever winning a Jackpot game . So ,their is really no need to plan anything !

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3300 Posts
            Posted: April 12, 2013, 6:12 am - IP Logged

im not sure ,  i would have to consider maint costs, vs income. i did like the ski lodge in utah, maybe you coul rent out rooms. not sure i want hassles of  property management.  i think i would just like to drive my expensive car there, and stay  a week or so.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

CowboysFan's avatar - Cowboys
              Sunny California
              United States
              Member #63790
              August 8, 2008
              220 Posts
              Posted: April 12, 2013, 10:50 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't care what my house looked like. The only thing I would care about is living at a place where I had 50 acres of land and beautiful green hills and creeks surrounding me.

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: April 12, 2013, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Billionaires like Bill Gates bought the entire neighborhood just to avoid neighbors.

Now thats a laugh...... Sounds like "block busting" to me. LOL

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: April 12, 2013, 11:10 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't care what my house looked like. The only thing I would care about is living at a place where I had 50 acres of land and beautiful green hills and creeks surrounding me.

47 acres in CA. Sounds like your in luck.............

$100 million De Guigné estate comes with quite a contingency ...

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: April 12, 2013, 11:18 am - IP Logged

You have already lost the chance at winning with the wrong mind set !! The " If you won a large Jackpot ! ". It shows you have doubt about ever winning a Jackpot game . So ,their is really no need to plan anything !

Arbor Hill  would be my second choice, and at $25 million it sounds like a steal.

United States
                      Member #130815
                      July 25, 2012
                      1636 Posts
                      Posted: April 12, 2013, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

Arbor Hill  would be my second choice, and at $25 million it sounds like a steal.

I got a wallet buster for you then or maybe a bank account buster LOL....The Woolworth mansion in Manhattan is for sale at $90,000,000....LOL a steal right

Kumo's avatar - ebDWVf6 jpg?1

United States
                        Member #122235
                        January 27, 2012
                        172 Posts
                        Posted: April 12, 2013, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

Depends on what it is. My goal is to have a 6 bedroom stone and timber home near some mountains on about half a section of land. It must have it's own water source (natural springs or clean mountain creek). Plenty of wildlife for hunting and good soils for gardening.

My ideal home is two stories with a full basement. Master suite and granny flat are downstairs with 4 more bedrooms upstairs. The basement will contain many of the recreational facilities of the home, a gym for weights and treadmills, an arts and crafts room for my wife, a 12 seat soundproofed theater designed with acoustics in mind, and a LAN/gaming room for online fun.

If this costs $10 million, I'd definitely buy it.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. ~Ronald Reagan

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." ~Wolfgang von Goethe

"It's preferable to be harmlessly paranoid than fatally stupid."  ~Anonymous

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                          u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19894 Posts
                          Posted: April 13, 2013, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

No Nod

Let it Snow Snowman

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3475 Posts
                            Posted: April 13, 2013, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

Even if I  had a trillion dollars I can't imagine spending $10 million on a house.  As long a I've got a  barn and  perhaps a couple of modest outbuildings, I really can't see any reason to have a house with more than about 2500 square feet. I'm somewhat partial to fine woodwork, granite counters, and good tile work, but I doubt anything I really wanted would cost more than a million bucks.

Of course I would want that house on a nice piece of property, and I'm aware of a couple of places in the Poconos.  One is over 1000 acres for about $5 million. Another is a couple of hundred acres on a lake, with an asking price of $14 million. Unfortunately it's a popular lake, so there would be neighbors. It hasn't been for sale since it was last offered for about $7 million in the late 70's, but if I had ridiculous amounts I'd probably be willing to spend $25 million if this was available:
                            http://nysparks.com/parks/127/details.aspx