Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 4:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Hot Lotto Changes

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 4 years ago by clifford1944.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
Idaho
United States
Member #94283
July 17, 2010
2284 Posts
Posted: April 11, 2013, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

I just got an email from the Idaho Lottery that they will start paying the taxes on Hot Lotto as of May 15, so the advertised jackpot is what you get.

I seem to remember reading something about this, but I can't find an official FAQ or press release on the changes.  I assume other participating states will also pay the taxes for their winners?  What other changes will be made?

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
    California
    United States
    Member #112364
    June 17, 2011
    661 Posts
    Posted: April 11, 2013, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

I just got an email from the Idaho Lottery that they will start paying the taxes on Hot Lotto as of May 15, so the advertised jackpot is what you get.

I seem to remember reading something about this, but I can't find an official FAQ or press release on the changes.  I assume other participating states will also pay the taxes for their winners?  What other changes will be made?

Does it include Federal Taxes?

California lottery winners don't pay local or state taxes. We only need to pay Federal Taxes.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
      Oklahoma
      United States
      Member #82391
      November 12, 2009
      6290 Posts
      Posted: April 12, 2013, 11:43 am - IP Logged

There was a topic on this about a month or two ago I was trying to find it for you HoLeeKau, but from what I remember the jackpot will be a lot harder to win. The white balls will increase from 39 to 47 but the hot ball will still stay at 19. Also there is a new prize structure as well.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Idaho
        United States
        Member #94283
        July 17, 2010
        2284 Posts
        Posted: April 12, 2013, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

Thanks DCF I vaguely remember the thread and may have even posted to it, but I don't remember the details.  Now that change is imminent I'm ready to know more.

Idaho
          United States
          Member #94283
          July 17, 2010
          2284 Posts
          Posted: April 12, 2013, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

Does it include Federal Taxes?

California lottery winners don't pay local or state taxes. We only need to pay Federal Taxes.

The email didn't specifically say, but I assume it does include federal or they'd have said "we'll pay your state taxes."  They have the same deal for an in-state game called Weekly Grand, and that includes payment of both fed and state taxes.

Doesn't look like California has Hot Lotto now.  Are they adding it with PowerBall?

Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: April 12, 2013, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

Thanks DCF I vaguely remember the thread and may have even posted to it, but I don't remember the details.  Now that change is imminent I'm ready to know more.

No problem HLK, I remember posting to it as well but can't find it. lol

Also I think if you choose the "Sizzler" the max you can win is $90,000.00 I went to the Powerball webiste and clicked on Hot Lotto FAQ/History/News and nothing.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: April 12, 2013, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

AZ has a "taxes paid" game. I think people are supposed to fall all over themselves for a chance to win $52k that requires no tax payments??????? WOW. Thanks AZ. You really outdid yourselves!

Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6290 Posts
                Posted: April 12, 2013, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

AZ has a "taxes paid" game. I think people are supposed to fall all over themselves for a chance to win $52k that requires no tax payments??????? WOW. Thanks AZ. You really outdid yourselves!

I feel your pain Ronnie, Oklahoma has a taxes paid game called Cash Five(5) where you can win $25,000 taxes paid it's a Computer Generated game Bang Head I think we've only had 1or 2 winners this year alone on the game. And they wonder why sales our down.Mad

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: April 12, 2013, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

I feel your pain Ronnie, Oklahoma has a taxes paid game called Cash Five(5) where you can win $25,000 taxes paid it's a Computer Generated game Bang Head I think we've only had 1or 2 winners this year alone on the game. And they wonder why sales our down.Mad

Do they inundate TV and freeway road signs with advertising? What a waste of money.

Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #76087
                    June 18, 2009
                    859 Posts
                    Posted: April 13, 2013, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

YES, Holeekau - I just heard about this change to Hot Lotto!  I was going to make a thread and noticed yours. 

Anyway, at first I was very excited, because the dropping of tax AND the increase in upper tier prizes sound FABULOUS, but they are increasing the white balls from 39 to 47. 

This is.... something to consider.  Or reconsider.  What do you think about it?  Will you be playing it?

Hot Lotto has sentimental value to me.  It was my first jackpot game.  I'd always been a fan of Pick 3 and was not quite sure how to approach the analysis of a jackpot game.  But in 2009 I heard of a large Hot Lotto jackpot and decided to give it a try.  I printed off the history, made charts and analyzed it all day long one Saturday... and had good starter's success, hitting 3 out 5 plus the Hot Ball.   From that moment forward I knew I was going to analyze jackpot games.

But 39 numbers was enough for me.  Increasing it to 47 means a real challenge, a lot more work, and fewer wins.   Trying to analyze Mega Millions is hard enough.

But I'll headache over that later.  I am going to spend my Saturday working on my favorite game of all, Wild Card 2, with its manageable 1-33 number line!  Smile

La Maga Della Spaziometria

Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #94283
                      July 17, 2010
                      2284 Posts
                      Posted: April 13, 2013, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

Hi GG!

I tend to play quick picks because I'm not very good at analyzing.  It's very frustrating for me.  So yeah, I'll still play for as long as it stays $1. 

I've been getting a QP for WC2 lately even tho the JP is pretty low and cutting way back on the $2 PowerBalls.  I quit Weekly Grand altogether.  Paying $2 for a chance at $52K didn't make sense when I can pay $1 for a chance at a couple hundred thousand or even millions. 

Good luck with your picks, hope you figure them all out.  Thumbs Up

Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #76087
                        June 18, 2009
                        859 Posts
                        Posted: April 13, 2013, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

Hi GG!

I tend to play quick picks because I'm not very good at analyzing.  It's very frustrating for me.  So yeah, I'll still play for as long as it stays $1. 

I've been getting a QP for WC2 lately even tho the JP is pretty low and cutting way back on the $2 PowerBalls.  I quit Weekly Grand altogether.  Paying $2 for a chance at $52K didn't make sense when I can pay $1 for a chance at a couple hundred thousand or even millions. 

Good luck with your picks, hope you figure them all out.  Thumbs Up

I hear you on that.  The Weekly Grand pay-out would be enough to get some affairs in order but that's about it. That's why I never play it.  However, I work with someone who won it.  So now another co-worker wants to play it, to partner up with me on it.  I just... don't think I wanna do that.  Imagine, splitting the 52k?  That would be only $2000/ month.  bah.

Oh - I've been coming up with some real good analysis charts for Pick 3.  I won twice last week.  And I am still coming up with some good charts in my head -- just need to find the time to put them down on paper.  Do you play Pick 3 these days?  I go in spurts.  On down time I just study a lot.

Good luck to you on your games!

La Maga Della Spaziometria

Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #94283
                          July 17, 2010
                          2284 Posts
                          Posted: April 13, 2013, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

Wow, glad to hear someone you know won the 52K.  Do you know how many she was buying a week? 

Congrats on your Pick 3 wins!  I hope they were straights. 

I play on and off too.  I was playing because LadyC was doing an excellent job picking Idaho's doubles.  Unfortunately, that was right when we had the 25 draws without a double, so I lost too much money there.  I still think there was something wrong with the computer -- we never go that long without a double.  Anyway, I've yet to win a penny on Pick 3, and it's awfully easy to spend a lot of money on it, so I'm not real keen on playing.

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
                            New Hampshire
                            United States
                            Member #136492
                            December 12, 2012
                            322 Posts
                            Posted: April 13, 2013, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

Hi HoLeeKau. New Hampshire is also an HL state (just bought 5 lines sizzled for tonight's draw as a matter of fact). As one of my favorite games I have read up on the changes starting in a month. Besides the changes others have mentioned in this post it's interesting to note that the overall odds of the game are barely changing despite the addition of the extra white balls.

Odds to win any prize will be going up to 1:17 from the current 1:16. To me that indicates that they may be adding an additional lower tier prize. The obvious would be a 2+0 prize level, as you know at least 3 white balls are currently required to win a prize if the hot ball isn't also matched.

I prefer the game the way it is now myself, but will still give the new matrix a try. My goal is to be the last JP winner under the current matrix. Good luck to you as well!

Cheers

Idaho
                              United States
                              Member #94283
                              July 17, 2010
                              2284 Posts
                              Posted: April 13, 2013, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

A prize for 2 + 0 would be nice, Msharkey2001.  I don't buy the sizzler now, but after the change the difference between winning 30K and 90K is pretty big so I'll think about it then. 

I only have 2 lines for tonight.  Good luck to you!