Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 3:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you remain Anonymous or have a Press Conference after winning the Jackpot?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 4 years ago by whiteballz.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4108 Posts
Posted: April 13, 2013, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

Personally: Anonymous,  all the way.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
    California
    United States
    Member #112364
    June 17, 2011
    661 Posts
    Posted: April 13, 2013, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

My state won't let lottery winners to be anonymous but I definitely don't want a press conference or an interview by the press. There would be no pictures of me holding an oversized check.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4108 Posts
      Posted: April 13, 2013, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

My state won't let lottery winners to be anonymous but I definitely don't want a press conference or an interview by the press. There would be no pictures of me holding an oversized check.

You got that right Red- l was asking this based on the fact that maybe, just maybe there are those who would like to be seen on TV having their mugs and stories making the evening news. Perhaps to let " Lisa/Brad- the ex GF/BF" know that he/she made a major mistake last month by dumping you because you were told you are a loser and will amount to nothing.

Dance

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: April 13, 2013, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

You got that right Red- l was asking this based on the fact that maybe, just maybe there are those who would like to be seen on TV having their mugs and stories making the evening news. Perhaps to let " Lisa/Brad- the ex GF/BF" know that he/she made a major mistake last month by dumping you because you were told you are a loser and will amount to nothing.

Dance

I will hold the big check and wave to the people.

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: April 13, 2013, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

Press Conference all the way...Im gonna go on and get it out of the way.....The sooner they can ask their questions the sooner I can just get on with my life..It you dont win a huge jackpot anyways unless you keep doing stupid stuff the hype will die down after a small piece in the news

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
            Winning makes me smile.
            bel air maryland
            United States
            Member #90251
            April 24, 2010
            4878 Posts
            Posted: April 13, 2013, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

Press Conference all the way...Im gonna go on and get it out of the way.....The sooner they can ask their questions the sooner I can just get on with my life..It you dont win a huge jackpot anyways unless you keep doing stupid stuff the hype will die down after a small piece in the news

Hey buddy... remember back in junior high when we...  LOL

No press conference for me!!!

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

United States
              Member #130815
              July 25, 2012
              1636 Posts
              Posted: April 13, 2013, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

Hey buddy... remember back in junior high when we...  LOL

No press conference for me!!!

When we were what??? LOL

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                Winning makes me smile.
                bel air maryland
                United States
                Member #90251
                April 24, 2010
                4878 Posts
                Posted: April 13, 2013, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

When we were what??? LOL

C'mon, you remember that time we cut class... LOL

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                  u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19871 Posts
                  Posted: April 13, 2013, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

I will hold the big check and wave to the people.

can you dance like the Gypsy Lady LOL

Let it Snow Snowman

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                    Nutley, New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #131058
                    August 1, 2012
                    875 Posts
                    Posted: April 13, 2013, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

Dance

"Perhaps to let " Lisa/Brad- the ex GF/BF" know that he/she made a major mistake last month by dumping you because you were told you are a loser and will amount to nothing."

that would be like admiting to yourself that you're not over her/him. I'd take my millions and move on with my life. Plenty of fish in the sea.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #82391
                      November 12, 2009
                      6290 Posts
                      Posted: April 13, 2013, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

You can only claim anonymous in Oklahoma via Trust so Trust it will beSmile

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                        Member #135804
                        November 29, 2012
                        318 Posts
                        Posted: April 13, 2013, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

You don't get this choice in California. Even if you claim via trusts, the media can still find out your name and report it in their press releases.

United States
                          Member #135804
                          November 29, 2012
                          318 Posts
                          Posted: April 13, 2013, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

You can only claim anonymous in Oklahoma via Trust so Trust it will beSmile

Not true. Media can obtain the beneficiary/shareholder of the Trust/Corporation and release your name since that info is public record. They can include your name with the press release that the prize has been claimed via XYZ Trust.

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                            Joplin MO
                            United States
                            Member #138489
                            January 28, 2013
                            190 Posts
                            Posted: April 13, 2013, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

I'm playing in Kansas, which allows you to remain anonymous ... so nobody would know that I won.

As much as I would like to, I wouldn't even tell the few people that I would like to rub it in theit faces, because I know that in reality, it would be best if **NOBODY** knows about it.

janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
                              California
                              United States
                              Member #69399
                              January 9, 2009
                              380 Posts
                              Posted: April 14, 2013, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

I would choose to remain anonymous. Winners have enough to deal with without all the added worry/pressure of relatives, friends. strangers asking for money. Also, just the added rick of people harming you because you now have money. We all  have read the horror stories. 

I know that the California lottery, in their media releases, have stated the winner wishes to remain anonymous. I have seen it many times but the problem is that if anyone asks, the Lottery will release the winner's name because of the California Public Records Act.

I saw this in the California Lottery Regulations and I was wondering if anyone here knew if this meant that it is possible to claim your prize annonymously.

H. CLAIMING APRIZE OR AWARD

1. General Regulations (Draw and Scratchers®)

a. Individuals under 18 years of age and those named in Government Code section 8880.321(g) are ineligible to receive a prize. If an ineligible individual makes a claim for a prize either individually or as part of a group ofclaimants, that portion of the prize attributable to the ineligible claimant shall remain in the prize fund.

b. All prize payments or promotional awards are subject to deductions and offsets, including taxes, as provided by law.

c. Prize winnings shall be paid to a natural person. Natural person includes, when applicable, multiple persons as denoted on the multiple ownership claim form.

(1) Under unique conditions, the Director may allow prize winnings to be paid to someone other than a natural person. These other entities are:

(a) A non-profit 501-C corporation; or

(b) A revocable trust where the grantor is the winner and the trust is linked to the grantor’s social security number.

Also this:

PUBLIC DISCLOSURE OF WINNER’S NAME

1. The California State Lottery Commission finds that a winner’s name, the name and location of the retailer who sold the winning ticket and the amount of prize (including gross amount and net payment, if applicable) may be public records under the California Public Records Act and therefore subject to public disclosure. The Lottery will not disclose personal information (e.g., age, home address, employer, phone number, etc.) without consent of the winner unless required by law.

2. The Lottery may announce the public information identified above in any manner determined by the Director, including via the news media.

I bolded the word "may" because that is the magic word. So does that mean that if the Director decides that you can claim as a trust or LLC, then they do not have to release your name under the California Public Records Act but just the name of the LLC or trust? And under what unique conditions would the Director allow it?

Anyone know?

It was always in the stars for me to be a lottery winner.