Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you remain Anonymous or have a Press Conference after winning the Jackpot?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 4 years ago by whiteballz.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #135804
November 29, 2012
318 Posts
Posted: April 14, 2013, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

^

Doesn't matter about the CA Lottery not releasing the actual person's name. If they release the LLC or Trust name, anyone can find the grantor/creators in public records when that entity is created - if the news organization wants to include your name in the press release, they can.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4105 Posts
    Posted: April 14, 2013, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

Janem posted....

" I bolded the word "may" because that is the magic word. So does that mean that if the Director decides that you can claim as a trust or LLC, then they do not have to release your name under the California Public Records Act but just the name of the LLC or trust? And under what unique conditions would the Director allow it?

Anyone know?"....

l don't- but l,m willing to guess that if you make a case on not wanting to come forward they will " think" about it. Especially if you mention that you are a very private person, you do not have friends who are " vultures" but there is a major likelihood that with exposing you as a winner, you could acquire many such persons, which you rather not have. After All your privacy would be invaded from that point on.

l like their use of the word " MAY".. Kinda like: It may rain today, you may get a raise.

She may be pregnant....heaven forbid.

janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
      California
      United States
      Member #69399
      January 9, 2009
      380 Posts
      Posted: April 14, 2013, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

^

Doesn't matter about the CA Lottery not releasing the actual person's name. If they release the LLC or Trust name, anyone can find the grantor/creators in public records when that entity is created - if the news organization wants to include your name in the press release, they can.

That isn't true. In California, a trust doesn't have to be recorded with the court or made a public document. The only people entitled to a copy of the trust document are the beneficiaries, trustees and grantor.
      Also, if you set up an LLC correctly, you can keep it private as well.

It was always in the stars for me to be a lottery winner.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
        California
        United States
        Member #112364
        June 17, 2011
        661 Posts
        Posted: April 14, 2013, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

That isn't true. In California, a trust doesn't have to be recorded with the court or made a public document. The only people entitled to a copy of the trust document are the beneficiaries, trustees and grantor.

According to CA winners handbook page 1, you can form a trust prior to claiming your prize, but understand that your name is still public and reportable.

California
          United States
          Member #69399
          January 9, 2009
          380 Posts
          Posted: April 14, 2013, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

According to CA winners handbook page 1, you can form a trust prior to claiming your prize, but understand that your name is still public and reportable.

The Lottery Commission would have to follow the regulations over what is in the Winner's Handbook. Maybe a clever lawyer can use that word "may" as a legal loophole? I would love to be able to be the one who gets to find out!

United States
            Member #135804
            November 29, 2012
            318 Posts
            Posted: April 14, 2013, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

OK. According to that info you pasted, only two types of entities outside of a natural persons can claim. How would you set up the LLC non-profit to be private? The State would know who the grantor is in the other case because it is required that the Revocable Trust is tied to a person and his/her social security.

If the lottery/state is sued by media to release the name (assuming, they don't give it out easily) under California Public Records, what's going to support the decision of a lottery official not releasing the info. The media could say that this is for the legitimacy of the games and precedence shows that it is common practice to release that information.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
              California
              United States
              Member #112364
              June 17, 2011
              661 Posts
              Posted: April 14, 2013, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

The Lottery Commission would have to follow the regulations over what is in the Winner's Handbook. Maybe a clever lawyer can use that word "may" as a legal loophole? I would love to be able to be the one who gets to find out!

Is there any website dedicated to lottery players who actually won the jackpot with special forums dedicated to issue like this or other issues winners may have to face?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4105 Posts
                Posted: April 14, 2013, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

Is there any website dedicated to lottery players who actually won the jackpot with special forums dedicated to issue like this or other issues winners may have to face?

Red-When l win it all soon, l will let you know what steps l took to conceal my windfall from the media & other vultures seeking to part me from my money.
                You have my word.
                Dance

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                  Lavender Rocket

United States
                  Member #124616
                  March 16, 2012
                  2642 Posts
                  Posted: April 14, 2013, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

Little Rhodie doesnt allow anon winnings... so I will simply smile sweetly for the camera beside my dh who will be grinning to beat the band.

California
                    United States
                    Member #69399
                    January 9, 2009
                    380 Posts
                    Posted: April 14, 2013, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

OK. According to that info you pasted, only two types of entities outside of a natural persons can claim. How would you set up the LLC non-profit to be private? The State would know who the grantor is in the other case because it is required that the Revocable Trust is tied to a person and his/her social security.

If the lottery/state is sued by media to release the name (assuming, they don't give it out easily) under California Public Records, what's going to support the decision of a lottery official not releasing the info. The media could say that this is for the legitimacy of the games and precedence shows that it is common practice to release that information.

An LLC can be made private and I know this because when my boyfriend was setting up his business, I was there when his attorney was outlining his options. That was a couple of years ago so just to be sure I looked and found this:

One of the benefits of forming a business LLC is that in most states, the owners of the business are not a matter of public record.

This is not the case in all states. Some state do require that members of an LLC be disclosed and in some cases their addresses must also be listed. You need to check with your state formation requirements to be sure. Every state requires that an LLC have a registered agent who is listed and shows name and address is available as a matter of public record.

Using a registered agent service will keep your name from being publicly associated with your LLC. Just be sure you choose a reputable registered agent as this role is vital to your LLC and your legal protection.

As for the California Public Records, I would wonder if the Lottery Commision has some discretion on releasing names. You say "The media could say that this is for the legitimacy of the games and precedence shows that it is common practice to release that information" but there are states thatdo allow winners to be anonymous so that is something that can easily be shown not be a hard and fast rule.  Plenty of people are allowed to claim anonymously and the reason is to ensure the safety of the winner which is always a compelling argument considering the death, kidnapping, injuries, and threats suffered by lottery winners in the past.

As I said I woudl love, love, love to be in a position to have to find out whether claiming anonymously is a possibility.

California
                      United States
                      Member #69399
                      January 9, 2009
                      380 Posts
                      Posted: April 14, 2013, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

Red-When l win it all soon, l will let you know what steps l took to conceal my windfall from the media & other vultures seeking to part me from my money.
                      You have my word.
                      Dance

Could you let me know too?  Jester

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                        Member #32537
                        February 12, 2006
                        698 Posts
                        Posted: April 15, 2013, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

to people who doubt u can hide,

"My state won't let lottery winners to be anonymous" by redhot7

u can  be Anonymous in none  Anonymous states, ofc u can be

thro if  u lack  balls/intent to make it happen,  so maybe for "u" u can't be anonymous thinking about it.

but i have no such morals not  to abuse the laws of this great nation."note i said abuse, not break out right.

lets take my fav weapon, the name change

ofc any smart person would go , is a matter of public records

so u be found out, its useless bah bah bah....................

however that's to people who are not ruthless and lack imagination, in must every state there a legal loophole u can drize a semi truck thro full of banned drugs  per say.

in name change/public record laws loopholes , its, your under threat/harm whatever by some outside "threat",  so they can seal your name change record form the public

a great lawyer can have the judge ,grant u the legal name change, THEN SEAL THE RECORDS form the public , majority of states , this done easy.

proof needed will be taken care of via active  imagination and lawyer creating any proof of threat/harm to court to grant u that court sealed name change.

ofc irs and govt will know, there no legal option there to abuse rofl, however public records , very much can be got around

just  get a legal name change,and no one has right to know in public is a reality.

then go claim lottery prize, and rofl as they all look for a fake person., don't tell anyone u know about your name change

if u want your name changed back, that's simple too, move to diff state,  one that allows name change easy as pie"must do", and pull same trick, boom your name back to what it was. no one the wiser

sense name changes are a STATE issue, u just abused the legal world of open record laws,and got away with it................

what public don't know, wont hurt them.

u can have your cake and eat it too, public can have your Name at Great cost of  "u" giving them your "name" to public

and u can have  your money and no one knows who "u" are,   everyone happy

, the evil public record people who insist on public winners be named   are fooled and happy,and u are happy

win-win

if lottery demands press conference,. pull same legal nonsense off ,  lawyer  does talking/proof giving, your under threat/harm  etc

and am sure they let u off of conference,

if not allow u to dress up in a mascot/bunny whatever suit,and  talk in a low/high voice, that's not your voice

they understand your life under  threat if lawyer  does there thing

everyone can be happy is my point"will media gets screwed but who cares about them"

i don't feel sorry for any lottery winner who claims in public,  they have options, even if they live in a state that claims there no option but"public" winners 

the point am trying to make is, if it looks like u have no Alternative, u do,   u must use your God given Imagination,and  get done job that route

u cant think like they said its not a option, and give up and accept that as reality, drive a freaking bulldozer over WALLs they built , your a human being with a imagination, use it

lottery winners  cant blame the govt/other people who "foced" them to go public, they didn't force u,

u was just lacking balls to do whatever u had to out smart them.

a idiot can go claim Anonymous in few states that allow it,  but it takes a genius mind, to pull it off in states with no alternative but to give u up to public.

have no shame  in defending your self, your family,and abuse the hell out of laws to protect your self, have no shame!

. now back to topic lead point

yes, i can  remain Anonymous and i will , screw the press conference also

Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

No bees, no honey.

United States
                          Member #128373
                          May 22, 2012
                          201 Posts
                          Posted: April 15, 2013, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

If you can't totally remain anonymous, the next best thing would be to not have the press conference.  People would know your name, but they wouldn't know your face.

The lottery is NOT a tax on the poor.  By calling it a tax, you are calling it mandatory, which is what taxes are.  But the lottery is NOT mandatory, therefore calling it a tax highly inaccurate.

United States
                            Member #140521
                            March 21, 2013
                            7 Posts
                            Posted: April 16, 2013, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

Easiest answer ever... neither.

Do you really know why?

Wanna guess?? lol

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: April 16, 2013, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

Easiest answer ever... neither.

Do you really know why?

Wanna guess?? lol

No, why?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke