Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does anyone use the lottery machines to check if you have winning tickets?

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 4 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: April 16, 2013, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just curious if people use the little lottery machines to see if you won on a ticket. I have used them for MM and PB rarely, but I did use the machine last week. What I'm usually afraid of is the fact that if it might say I didn't win but what if it just wasn't working right and I did win? I'm just wondering about people's experiences with using them. I usually always check my MM, PB and Mass Cash tickets on my states web sites.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
    Member #133462
    September 30, 2012
    5946 Posts
    Posted: April 16, 2013, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Are you referring to the self scanners or the terminal managed by the store clerks?

Either way, by the time I get to the store I would have validated my winnings about 10 times. So I go into the store KNOWING what I have won and I make it CLEAR to the cashier that I know. At that stage, it's a 'give me my cash' transaction and nothing more. The clerks at 7-11 are excited when I win as they know I am a regular and I don't just come in to buy lottery tickets. I throw around a few bucks on burned coffee and high calorie pastries, and of course, my liter Dr. Pepper.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7318 Posts
      Posted: April 16, 2013, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just curious if people use the little lottery machines to see if you won on a ticket. I have used them for MM and PB rarely, but I did use the machine last week. What I'm usually afraid of is the fact that if it might say I didn't win but what if it just wasn't working right and I did win? I'm just wondering about people's experiences with using them. I usually always check my MM, PB and Mass Cash tickets on my states web sites.

I mostly use the self service machines and after I scan a ticket, it will show how much its worth and I have the option of either adding the amount as credit for play or decline and have the clerk cash the ticket. The ticket scanning machines are usually near the terminal and it's easier to just hand them to the clerk to check on the terminal. I have seen people with a handful of tickets using the scanners and noticed the tickets were usually not winners or already paid so tickets probably came out of waste basket.

If you can't decide if your ticket is a winner, take it to store you trust and have it scanned by the terminal.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19881 Posts
        Posted: April 16, 2013, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

Yes Nod                         

Let it Snow Snowman

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: April 16, 2013, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

Lottery machines? Heh,heh,heh,heh,heh...

They ain't been invented yet as far as East Tennessee is concerned.

I hear they got 'em for the bigshot flatlanders and politicians in Nashville though. Gotta keep them happy, by golly.

The Dragon Lady don't like her no hillbillies.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

surimaribo24's avatar - photo11 zpsfffd70be.jpg
            NEW YORK. RIVERHEAD
            United States
            Member #106371
            February 17, 2011
            9704 Posts
            Posted: April 16, 2013, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Lottery machines? Heh,heh,heh,heh,heh...

They ain't been invented yet as far as East Tennessee is concerned.

I hear they got 'em for the bigshot flatlanders and politicians in Nashville though. Gotta keep them happy, by golly.

The Dragon Lady don't like her no hillbillies.

ROFL dragon lady Green laugh

PETS#=105-215

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              6290 Posts
              Posted: April 16, 2013, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Don't use them here in OK..... Like OB said I check my tickets online first before I go to the stores and redeem.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #94283
                July 17, 2010
                2284 Posts
                Posted: April 16, 2013, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

Nope, I don't trust the machines.  I check online.

However, after reading some posts here, if I ever buy another scratch off ticket in this lifetime, I'll probably check it even if it looks like a losing ticket.  Not sure whether it ever happens that the ticket is marked wrong, but it only takes a second to check it.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4109 Posts
                  Posted: April 16, 2013, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

I use those ticket terminals all the time. They HAVE to be legit,  can you imagine the lawsuits that would be filed if they were not? Especially the lower jackpots? .When the PB & MM jackpot is over, do you doubt LP when they post "there was no winner tonight in the ..."what if you read" There was ONLY ONE winner from..."- do you ever doubt that its impossible-no, why?..because we all trust that the information coming from the source is correct. What if someone said " l have a winning ticket as well and saying there is only one winner is false"- l think the lottery business will experience a major hiccup. Machines will be shut down across the nation to check for glitches, thats a fact..l have no time to look at newspapers or check the web- the only time l will do that is if the news reports say "someone from Fremont won the $370 mil MM jackpot tonight"  why, cause that's my city and it might just be me.
                  Party

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                    Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    2747 Posts
                    Posted: April 16, 2013, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

I'm usually in a hurry so I use the scanners. I think they're more reliable than giving your tickets to a store clerk that you don't personally know to check them for you No No

That money's gone fo ever

United States
                      Member #130815
                      July 25, 2012
                      1636 Posts
                      Posted: April 16, 2013, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

I wish we did have scanners here in NC my city to be exact....I'd love to be able to verify it again at the store before I cash it in....when I win anyway I tell the clerk I won whatever the dollar amount is when I hand them the ticket so that know I already know what I won so it will be no funny business

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4795 Posts
                        Posted: April 16, 2013, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Nope, I don't trust the machines.  I check online.

However, after reading some posts here, if I ever buy another scratch off ticket in this lifetime, I'll probably check it even if it looks like a losing ticket.  Not sure whether it ever happens that the ticket is marked wrong, but it only takes a second to check it.

I agree!

J'aime La France.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                          California
                          United States
                          Member #112364
                          June 17, 2011
                          661 Posts
                          Posted: April 16, 2013, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Occasionally but here the machines are very slow and unresponsive. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds to scan one ticket. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it done. Same problems from multiple stores.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: April 16, 2013, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

Occasionally but here the machines are very slow and unresponsive. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds to scan one ticket. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it done. Same problems from multiple stores.

"...the machines are very slow and unresponsive."

That's a virus that's prevalent in any man or machine that works for a government agency.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                              Nutley, New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #131058
                              August 1, 2012
                              875 Posts
                              Posted: April 16, 2013, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

I don't trust those machines. I check my tickets myself 100 percent of the time because of something that happened to me about a year ago. I had played a single line so checking the numbers was going to be a breeze. A few hours after the drawing, I checked the official mega millions website for the winning numbers and it turns out I matched the mega number which was, "37".

The jackpot rolled, so the following morning I decided I was going to the store to get some more tickets, even though I already checked the ticket myself, I thought I'd scan it on the machine just to double check the results.

I walked up to the ticket scanner, scanned the bar code and the machine said, "Sorry No Win."

Are you kidding me????????

I scanned the bar code again...same message. I told the clerk I matched the mega number but the machine tells me I didn't win anything. She scanned the ticket herself....still no luck.

She told me maybe the machines haven't been fully updated yet and to try again later. Sure enough, I scanned the ticket again in the afternoon and the machine said, "$2 winner."

Can you imagine if I hadn't checked the ticket myself in advance before scanning it in the morning? I think most people would have trusted what the machine said and thrown the ticket in the trash. I think mistakes like that are the reason some people throw away winning tickets.

I don't trust those machines. I check my tickets myself. I think every lottery player should too.