Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you spend $10 Million on a home.

Topic closed. 83 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Teddi.

Page 3 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: May 12, 2013, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

This is Carmel by the Sea  Rdgrnr- you'd love it. Its far from the crap that's been percolating in your mind's eye.

You're right, that would be a great place to set up a Carmel Corn and Taffy Apple Stand on the beach.

I imagine Carmel is real cheap there too.

So there's that.

Hey! I just thought of something else!

Carmel-ized Onions on a Stick!  Hyper

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
    Member #32537
    February 12, 2006
    698 Posts
    Posted: May 12, 2013, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

it depends where it is

if its inside the city, hahaha almust never onless i build my dream house"details below"

am not paying millions to live inside a bling bling house, when i can see the my neighbors or hear them outside my window

the other issue i have is, i demand fiber net of speeds at lest of 1 GB of fiber thro................

if am that rich, i can pay.................

and will guest where that is............... city............A catch-22

i think i just rent one of nicest apartments of like 3 bedrooms type's, with indoor"all year around pool" /outdoor pool etc

i don't need much, am not going to waste millions for a home in city, i lived in apartments during my childhood,loved it, thro that was thx to i  made a lot of friends"having a small city of same age kids all around me helped"

just make sure u have a agreement with apartment people u can Move to other unit if one u picked sucks"AKA noisy neighbors"

get it in writing when u move in, , u be stuck with them thanks to lease

, but  for a small fee u can just move to a diff unit"if any open"     when u have that kind of agreement and bitch about a  bad neighbor, watch as they Take "action", they will threaten your neighbor , as they don't want to deal with moving u.

it seems all bad apartment stories i hear is of dumb people + bad management, never a good combo

the bad management can be avoided by move to diff unit demand if unit u got sucks. , if they wont give it in moving in terms  don't move in,

plus u can be right inside heart of city or where ever u  plan to spend your time

i remb never be far form anything, time saved is golden

all this for cheap then spending millions on some house

now if u hate neighbors. get out of city, 

now comes 2nd issue

i don't want to buy someone crap made house for them

i want to build my own dream house, i played sims 1/2/3 and i have ever addon for #3 atm"to many"

i don't need 100k plus flooring of whatever,  u notice a lot of people take old homes

refit them with high end flooring/whatever drives the sell price sky high

why would u pay for that .................

i want indoor /outdoor pools, club house full of arcade games u would find in a chuckecheese store game wise, not the  tunnels rofl,  ,indoor  basketball court/tennis court/bowling lanes/ indoor gymnastics "hell of a lot of trampolines"........ plus stuff like go-karts, mini-golf, a freaking  indoor vertical wind tunnel just so i can fly whenever i want with friends

ya i plan to do whatever i care for..............

in short  am spending millions on stuff to do inside the home, not  millions on to look at.

aka million buck plus painting to look at , thats so old human thing, , or fancy walls/floors whatever ,   decent carpet and basketball type floors all i need, and LED srceens thro out out on a slideshow type setup, showing great photos of wild world, or outer space or whatever

not fancy ugly paintings, sorry i live in 21st centry, old people and what they liked can go die for all i care. 

a whole super computor room full of like 30 computor stations linked via lan gaming setup

like wise for consoles linked in 4 way lan setup  etc for co-op games with large tv's for everyone etc

when i have friends over, its not what can we do now then stand around and talk and maybe go into the pool?

, its omfg there so many things we can do, when we get bored, we move to next thing to do etc, 

in short,  spend cheap on stuff that don't matter, and a lot of fun stuff to do

it be theme park/resort without the muti million rides etc

if i had kids, and they bring there neighborhood friends over, if there friends don't go, OMFG i wish i lived here, u have ever thing........................

they say, we just live in 10 million plus home etc ,  but we don't have all this, omfg your parents are the bomb.

ofc there house would be classic same as every other rich home, all fancy that costs a lot and has no fun value what so ever.

if that the kind of reaction i don't get, then its not my dream house. 

i mean, ever room in my place will be master bed room, with full bath/shower/large closest for stuff

fiber network thro out the house with fastest connection to outside world etc

and a decent kitchen  for ever 3 bedrooms,  aka i like mini of 2 diff decent kitchens /living rooms

aka i can be having party for my adult guests,and the kids can be anywhere else, in a diff decent kitchen/living room if not in all other rooms

what i dont need is high cost  kitchen countertops

if playin sims has teached me 1 thing, i care more about what can be done inside the house, then how much something costed

also i feel bad for designer, as i hand laptop with my sims house,and go, lets start with this design rofl..we just add to what game design lacks

i also want safe house room, steel protected etc, for if hurricane by coast  or inland tornado comes where i build this home i want my people safe

at lest some rich homes have safe rooms, but not many.......... its like wtf is wrong with these fools

even poor folk have more sense with tornado rooms underground etc.

also i want a kickass green house controled temps all year around, where i can grow  some fruit like berries and stuff all year freashest berries

did u know there 1000s of diff berries and stuff,  but only few hand ful in stores

this is thanks how long some fruits last when picked and how they handle shipping, some berries i have tried on  farm, will when picked, they will stan your hands with purple/whatever color they be, if u try to ship them, box would be pure color box and berries be all ed up

people have no idea how much there messing in grocery store, a rich person should totaly have access to these great fruits the stores just don't brother to deal with.

in short, my 10 plus dream house will have ever thing  u think a classic home does not have

hance why am fine with apartments, i don't need  highend floors/whatever to show off

as my apartment will be full of highend computors/best tv's etc, 

the dream house is only way i spend that kind of money,  majority of people are idiots,  kids often know truth of what makes something of value, adults get brainwished by societies into desiring stuff that is really just stupid , its all about showing off rofl.

does a kid give a crap about your high cost floors/whatever, hell nooo, do they give a carp about indoor pools and gaming rooms and  ever thing else, yes they love it, as its something fun to do.

in short  it comes down to what makes u happy, if people think high cost of crap they used build the house will make them happy"as must people do"

then more power to them,   what makes me happy is diff then what makes everyone else happy

so just build whatever will make u happy, screw cost/and what others think u should of spent your money on.

No bees, no honey.

United States
      Member #124814
      March 20, 2012
      219 Posts
      Posted: May 12, 2013, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

Definitely. Once I win this 134 million PB jackpot, I plan to buy a house in the 13-20 million dollar range. I always look at houses on realtor.com, they are all fantastic to me. One thing I don't want, though, is to spend considerably more on a house just because of its location. Like the ones next to a beach, those cost a lot more even though they are not that big and you don't have much of a property outside the actual house. I'm not a big fan of beaches anyway. I rarely go, but when I do go, it's for the food and games, and usually someone has to drag me there. Get a big house with a huge backyard, the party is at my house! I'm not a big party person either, but get a house like that and there will definitely be some fun there.

I love this house right here.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/119-Furlong-Ln_Bradbury_CA_91008_M22019-38113#modal_PhotoGallery

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
        Member #32537
        February 12, 2006
        698 Posts
        Posted: May 12, 2013, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

wall of text great and all, i just show u  what my 10 million home will be like

hottube

hell yes  go karts and mini golf

hell yes to trampoline heaven setup, this will be in dream house

indoor skydiving.  u guys should try it, its a freaking blast

wave rider , hell yes i want one

my house will look something  like that form the front,   all fun stuff will be inside/behind it

think i would just stay in apartments to i could build my dream house

whole point is freinds want to come over, when u think of my visiting my family, u think of fun to be had. and can't wait to visit

home idea will be all about Things to do, and not look at million dollar floors/walls that run up cost, money better spent on the things to do.

No bees, no honey.

United States
          Member #124814
          March 20, 2012
          219 Posts
          Posted: May 12, 2013, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

joshuacloak I would love to have some of those things in my house, specifically that basketball court, but the go kart course and the mini golf looks fun as well. Kinda reminds me of the movie Richie Rich. 

Just make sure you don't invite any stranger kids over, their parents will see that as an opportunity to get money from you. We all seen what happened to Michael Jackson. Try to be nice and all people see are dollar signs.

United States
            Member #106134
            February 13, 2011
            806 Posts
            Posted: May 12, 2013, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

Not just no, but hail naw! LOL

Think of the property taxes!!!  It's painful to think of all that money going to waste err I mean the government.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              6290 Posts
              Posted: May 13, 2013, 9:48 am - IP Logged

No way I could spend $10 million on a home. I wouldn't know what to do well I guess I could hide from hubby and the boysWink

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                Member #142489
                May 13, 2013
                45 Posts
                Posted: May 13, 2013, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Hell no. That much on a home is a terrible way to spend your money, imo. Especially if you only have 300 mil and you spend 10 mil on a house...the insurance/tax/maintenance on that home is gonna run 6 figures at least so unless you are a real savvy investor and can make all that money each year to cover up for the running cost of the home...then I would never spend that much on a home.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6290 Posts
                  Posted: May 13, 2013, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to the LP ginmgiThumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                    Member #142489
                    May 13, 2013
                    45 Posts
                    Posted: May 13, 2013, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

Why thank you! 

I've been a casual lotto player with a couple of friends and I've always been fascinated by discussing it and it's fun to talk and dream. haha. Only thing is I'm surprised so many people take the lump sum over annuity. Guess not much faith in the USA govt huh? Although looking at how people spend their money, it's hard for me to see how the avg person can protect and grow their wealth either...aka this exact post where people want to purchase a 10 million home...

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                      United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3856 Posts
                      Posted: May 13, 2013, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

The "hot" new place in LA county to live is Calabasas, just over the hill from Malibu.

You'll have all kinds of celebrity neighbors like Justin Bieber, the Kardashians, and the Jacksons. Just what a down to earth new-money lotto winner needs!

I'd go back to anaheim before I'd live near those people.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                        United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3856 Posts
                        Posted: May 13, 2013, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

I would spend 10 mils. on real estate, but not on one home.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: May 13, 2013, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Hell no. That much on a home is a terrible way to spend your money, imo. Especially if you only have 300 mil and you spend 10 mil on a house...the insurance/tax/maintenance on that home is gonna run 6 figures at least so unless you are a real savvy investor and can make all that money each year to cover up for the running cost of the home...then I would never spend that much on a home.

Welcome my friend. You make a good point and I respect your opinion, however I think part of winning should be finding a way to enjoy the windfall and I don't see how "only" 300 million would require scrimping and saving to the point of not buying a $10 million house if that's what a person wants.

I know people in their 70s with millions in the bank who are scrimping and saving for the future.......

Hello, do the math. The future is limited and $200 million divided by a life expectancy of 40 years equals $5 million a year of spending money even if you never made a dime off of interest!

I'm not saying its right for everyone, but I am saying its not necessarily an irresponsible decision. 

A house in Paradise Valley that I would be quite happy with will run $2-$3 million.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                            Member #142499
                            May 13, 2013
                            1186 Posts
                            Posted: May 14, 2013, 10:25 am - IP Logged

The "hot" new place in LA county to live is Calabasas, just over the hill from Malibu.

You'll have all kinds of celebrity neighbors like Justin Bieber, the Kardashians, and the Jacksons. Just what a down to earth new-money lotto winner needs!

Thanks. Now I know where NEVER to live!

United States
                              Member #142489
                              May 13, 2013
                              45 Posts
                              Posted: May 14, 2013, 10:30 am - IP Logged

Welcome my friend. You make a good point and I respect your opinion, however I think part of winning should be finding a way to enjoy the windfall and I don't see how "only" 300 million would require scrimping and saving to the point of not buying a $10 million house if that's what a person wants.

I know people in their 70s with millions in the bank who are scrimping and saving for the future.......

Hello, do the math. The future is limited and $200 million divided by a life expectancy of 40 years equals $5 million a year of spending money even if you never made a dime off of interest!

I'm not saying its right for everyone, but I am saying its not necessarily an irresponsible decision. 

A house in Paradise Valley that I would be quite happy with will run $2-$3 million.

Thanks for the welcome!

I agree no one should be living like hobo. I guess for me and in my opinion I would not do that because I do not want nor need a 10 million dollar house. I am perfectly happy in a 500,000 house...which to me is already an amazing upgrade to what I'm living in currently. But yeah if someone wants a 10 million dollar home and they can afford it right now then they can get it. It's their money. Just don't come crying to me if/when housing market/stock market crashes! :D

I do like cars (S2000, NSX, Diablo, etc.) and traveling so I'll get a RV and drive all over the USA. That'll be my big splurge.