Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 12:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Destiny

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Ronnie316.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #124814
March 20, 2012
219 Posts
Posted: May 5, 2013, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

When I look at the QP, isn't winning it considered destiny? It's hard to articulate my thinking here, but I will do the best I can.

Stores that play the lotto have a RNG machine. Let's say the winner came from a gas station in Michigan. Now the way I look it is this, the winner isn't the ticket, it's the RNG machine. So in a way it's predetermined because only that specific RNG machine will spit out those specific numbers. As a player in California(or anywhere that isn't that gas station in Michigan), you lost before you even walked into the store and ordered the QP. You can't change the outcome of the game if you're playing QP. Regardless of whether the drawing has actually taken place, you've already lost because you never stood a chance, not even the 1 and 176 million chance the numbers say that you have, your chance is more like 0. The store you play in will not spit out those winning numbers no matter what. When it's all said and done, only that store in Michigan would have spit out those winning numbers.

We like to think of it as random, and in a way it is, but think of the randomness from outside the scope of time, like God thinking of our universe - outside of time itself. Not so random is it? To us the events that happen in our time are random, not predetermined. But if you can look at our time from the outside, and see the past, present and future, you wouldn't think of things as random.

So let's equate that to the lotto. Now if you view it from inside the scope of time, you see the RNG as a truly random event. But look at it from outside of the scope, you can now see the present and future. You KNOW that RNG will never spit out the winning numbers. You're looking at it from the outside looking in, you see all these people going into that store hoping that RNG connects with the winning numbers and you laugh, because you can see the future, you know it never will. You know the next 6 million combinations that RNG will churn out, and you know none of those are the winning numbers.

So how is it destiny? Well if you're looking it from outside the scope, then you know what specific RNG will churn out the winning numbers. The store in Michigan. No matter what anyone does at any other location playing the QP, it's destiny that the numbers will come from the RNG at the store in Michigan.

You might say playing your own numbers could combat this, but can it? When we pick our own numbers, aren't our brains just another RNG? We think what we're writing down on that slip are random numbers we just thought of, but looking at it from outside the scope of time, you know every number this person will ever come up with, and it will never be the correct numbers. The winners are destined to win whether they played their own numbers or played the QP.

We can change up our strategy a million times, but can we really change fate?

United States
    Member #128790
    June 2, 2012
    5431 Posts
    Posted: May 5, 2013, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

When I look at the QP, isn't winning it considered destiny? It's hard to articulate my thinking here, but I will do the best I can.

Stores that play the lotto have a RNG machine. Let's say the winner came from a gas station in Michigan. Now the way I look it is this, the winner isn't the ticket, it's the RNG machine. So in a way it's predetermined because only that specific RNG machine will spit out those specific numbers. As a player in California(or anywhere that isn't that gas station in Michigan), you lost before you even walked into the store and ordered the QP. You can't change the outcome of the game if you're playing QP. Regardless of whether the drawing has actually taken place, you've already lost because you never stood a chance, not even the 1 and 176 million chance the numbers say that you have, your chance is more like 0. The store you play in will not spit out those winning numbers no matter what. When it's all said and done, only that store in Michigan would have spit out those winning numbers.

We like to think of it as random, and in a way it is, but think of the randomness from outside the scope of time, like God thinking of our universe - outside of time itself. Not so random is it? To us the events that happen in our time are random, not predetermined. But if you can look at our time from the outside, and see the past, present and future, you wouldn't think of things as random.

So let's equate that to the lotto. Now if you view it from inside the scope of time, you see the RNG as a truly random event. But look at it from outside of the scope, you can now see the present and future. You KNOW that RNG will never spit out the winning numbers. You're looking at it from the outside looking in, you see all these people going into that store hoping that RNG connects with the winning numbers and you laugh, because you can see the future, you know it never will. You know the next 6 million combinations that RNG will churn out, and you know none of those are the winning numbers.

So how is it destiny? Well if you're looking it from outside the scope, then you know what specific RNG will churn out the winning numbers. The store in Michigan. No matter what anyone does at any other location playing the QP, it's destiny that the numbers will come from the RNG at the store in Michigan.

You might say playing your own numbers could combat this, but can it? When we pick our own numbers, aren't our brains just another RNG? We think what we're writing down on that slip are random numbers we just thought of, but looking at it from outside the scope of time, you know every number this person will ever come up with, and it will never be the correct numbers. The winners are destined to win whether they played their own numbers or played the QP.

If our fate is already set in place, what happens to free will?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4106 Posts
      Posted: May 5, 2013, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

Exactly.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19771 Posts
        Posted: May 5, 2013, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4106 Posts
          Posted: May 5, 2013, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

If " Destiny" was involved, why stop at the lottery. How about getting a messy divorce,having a blowout in the fast lane on the highway, being robbed of the vacation money with the family in Disneyworld?

Nope- its just picking the right numbers or the right numbers being dealt to you with a QP.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
            California
            United States
            Member #112364
            June 17, 2011
            661 Posts
            Posted: May 5, 2013, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

only that specific RNG machine will spit out those specific numbers.

Not necessarily. More often than not, large jackpot is won by more than one ticket and both tickets are Quick Pick. Every RNG machine has the potential of picking the winning numbers provided that you print the ticket at the exact microsecond when the machine picked the right numbers.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10348 Posts
              Posted: May 5, 2013, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Or are we predestined to believe in free will.

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                Member #128790
                June 2, 2012
                5431 Posts
                Posted: May 5, 2013, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Or are we predestined to believe in free will.

Scared

Ha ha, so true, anything is possible.

Maybe Jimmy and Bonehead can teach us how to apply the math to this. Drum

Big Grin

United States
                  Member #128790
                  June 2, 2012
                  5431 Posts
                  Posted: May 5, 2013, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

Exactly.

Right, so I could rob a bank thinking it was part of my destiny to do so.

I did no wrong, just did what I was meant to do from the beginning of time right?

Silly people. lol

At least noise-gate gets it. Thumbs Up

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7308 Posts
                    Posted: May 5, 2013, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

In the next few weeks two or more lottery terminals in about 44 state/jurisdictions will print MM and PB jackpot winning tickets. Should we assume the winners were pre-destined to pick the right store, in the right town, in the right state, and at the right time or were all the circumstances leading them to buy those winning tickets at the right time at the right place, the results of the "Butterfly Effect"?

United States
                      Member #131122
                      August 2, 2012
                      57 Posts
                      Posted: May 20, 2013, 1:03 am - IP Logged

WOW WTF? LOL some people have to much time on there hands. It's all freaking random. Nothing in lotto predetermined that is crazy talk.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19825 Posts
                        Posted: May 20, 2013, 1:25 am - IP Logged

In the next few weeks two or more lottery terminals in about 44 state/jurisdictions will print MM and PB jackpot winning tickets. Should we assume the winners were pre-destined to pick the right store, in the right town, in the right state, and at the right time or were all the circumstances leading them to buy those winning tickets at the right time at the right place, the results of the "Butterfly Effect"?

If you assume the winners are pre-destined to win then why not assume they don't even have to buy a ticket, some one else will buy the winning ticket and they will end up cashing it because it was all pre-destined.

That must be why some clerks end up cashing in their customers winning ticket, it's all pre-destined.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10348 Posts
                          Posted: May 20, 2013, 1:49 am - IP Logged

Masone,

What about the same QP being sold in different locations?

I don't know if that has happened with a jackpot winner in a 5 + 1 game but it certainly has in a 5/39 one.

"Double destiny"?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                            Member #59354
                            March 13, 2008
                            3966 Posts
                            Posted: May 20, 2013, 9:09 am - IP Logged

Winning a jackpot is nothing more than a series of events that can't be quantified.  Were his/her

thoughts or actions controlled by some outside force; maybe, maybe not.  It's easy to assume that

a person who wins big was the result of some Devinne plan but I would say that the win was just a

chance event or a combination of perception, skills and chance etc.... 

I had a good friend who was leaving for work one day when she slipped, fell and broke her neck and died

there on the spot.  Some would say that she must of been a bad person while others would say God called

her home.  The fact is that she slipped, it was a accident.   We all attempt to place reason to such an event

so that we can move on with our lives.   In reality the winner could have been anyone who had a ticket for

the drawing.   

I myself purchased one $2.00 ticket during the power ball run and did not expect to win, however if it would

have been me that won the JP I am sure that I would have felt that some Devinne force was at work, at least

for a few moments.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7308 Posts
                              Posted: May 20, 2013, 10:44 am - IP Logged

If you assume the winners are pre-destined to win then why not assume they don't even have to buy a ticket, some one else will buy the winning ticket and they will end up cashing it because it was all pre-destined.

That must be why some clerks end up cashing in their customers winning ticket, it's all pre-destined.

Over 232 million PB tickets were sold before the deadline and the players could only sit back and wait for the results. It was the numbers drawn that determined the winner and not where or win the tickets were bought. For the winner to say they it was destiny, they would have to retrace every step they took in their lifetime and the events leading to their conception. Any slight miscue along the way could have prevented their destiny from being fulfilled.

If the winner was destined to win the jackpot, they were destined to buy the ticket at certain place and at a certain time. For that to happen all the actions of all the individual who crossed paths with the winner were predetermined. There are just too many factors to consider so the only logical conclusion is they won because they bought a ticket and the numbers on the ticket matched the drawing.