Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What Age is "too old" to even consider 20-30 year PB or MM jackpot payments?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Hallfamily8.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #121745
January 16, 2012
4806 Posts
Posted: May 6, 2013, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

I know almost everyone takes the lump sum and with not knowing many things in the future, it is the most logical decision.  Assuming your payments could continue for this period to your heirs if you suddenly expire, at what age would this be unreasonable to start?  40? 50?

J'aime La France.

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40611 Posts
    Posted: May 6, 2013, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

Any age, always get a lump sum.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
      u$a
      United States
      Member #106665
      February 22, 2011
      19911 Posts
      Posted: May 6, 2013, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

I know almost everyone takes the lump sum and with not knowing many things in the future, it is the most logical decision.  Assuming your payments could continue for this period to your heirs if you suddenly expire, at what age would this be unreasonable to start?  40? 50?

i say annuity i'm not willing to lose half of a Jackpot just to have a few xtra bucks nowDance

Let it Snow Snowman

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19911 Posts
        Posted: May 6, 2013, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

i guess i could see if someone is over 75 and have no kids or don't care about leaving anything to their kids they may want to get the cash option to blow through it and i hope they don't spend it all then find out they live to be 107 and be broke Yes Nod

Let it Snow Snowman

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
          Beautiful Florida
          United States
          Member #5709
          July 18, 2004
          20126 Posts
          Posted: May 6, 2013, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion, I don't think any age would be too old as long as you had Hiers or someone specified to recieve it

after you had escaped ....

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
            Massachusetts
            United States
            Member #37433
            April 14, 2006
            2747 Posts
            Posted: May 6, 2013, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

I'm with sully16 on this; lumpsum all the way! But to answer your question I would say 50 yrs old.  Many people are living to their mid 70s so an annuity that starts when you're in your early 50s is great.

That money's gone fo ever

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              4806 Posts
              Posted: May 6, 2013, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

I think if I were 20 years old and in college (maybe up to age 29), I would seriously contemplate the yearly payments. Even if something happened, I would have time to make it up.

J'aime La France.

United States
                Member #142157
                May 4, 2013
                62 Posts
                Posted: May 6, 2013, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Annuity since I'm in my 20's still

AlwaysSunday's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg
                  Minnesota
                  United States
                  Member #140099
                  March 11, 2013
                  24 Posts
                  Posted: May 6, 2013, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Either way it's a lot of money!

I'm trying to buy happiness, and it's not working.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: May 6, 2013, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Annuity since I'm in my 20's still

I got a pair o' Redwing boots older'n you.

You take the annuity, I'll take the cash.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                      Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4111 Posts
                      Posted: May 6, 2013, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

Cash at any age, control your money & future.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94283
                        July 17, 2010
                        2284 Posts
                        Posted: May 6, 2013, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

Chronological age has nothing to do with it IMHO.  If you don't know how to handle money and there's a high risk you'll be blowing it all, you should take the annuity no matter what your age is.  As soon as you're mature enough to handle a large amount of money you should take the lump sum.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                          Member #32537
                          February 12, 2006
                          698 Posts
                          Posted: May 6, 2013, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

18 is to old

any age is to old

only a fool takes the Annuity

also to person who said, u lose money by taking cash,

your just wrong, annuity is just cash jackpot invested into special us treasury notes lottery  can buy.

lets take highest rate of 30 year notes govt issue

the rate is 2.98% atm, yes, just freaking below 3%

got some news for u, there tons of investments WAY above 3%,  mini of 7% can be done easy

if u like risk u could try for more, , above that u be trying to beat market, and i don't think it work out long term of 30 years 

also stock dividends keep up with inflation and beat it. , that's right  so many people who don't understand money"poor people" are just wrong in thinkin

and this is one of them, annuity is idea of a poor person on how to get rich...............

inflation is leech form hell folks

i guest u want real data, so go offical federal reserve site

http://www.minneapolisfed.org/community_education/teacher/calc/hist1913.cfm?

in other words, lets say u won a jackpot in 1993

a $1.00 bill back then  could buy u what takes  $1.63 today

thats 63% inflation for U

now your earning 3%  a year  if u take  jackpot annuity

u may as will be investing in Finanical suicide bonds . as that's how dumb u have be

if u want to gamble , it be taking economic purchasing power and lowering it

only thing that makes sense, is take cash now" also taxes owed on whole amount now" but u can invest it in MUCH better things at much better rates, way above inflation, u make much more money over 3 decades

its all about making your purchasing power more ,  us bonds are worthless at such low levels u LOSE to much purchasing power compared to stock market etc

u think your safe at 3% ? not with inflation! that my whole point, 

to think us bonds at 3% in long term, is good  is irrational

Investing only makes sense if you are adequately compensated

i beg of u, don't kill your money like that. 

federal reserve  printing money out of Thin air,    then buying  us bonds"our debt",  there no need to offer higher rates to get people to BUY

people  with saving accounts and stuff  i feel sorry for, there to stupid  to understand  money issue's 

rich will be getting richer over time

, as only people who understand money  and how to makes lots of it,                 knows u cant just invest any where like us bonds.

, u Must battle  inflation and win

.  if your purchasing power does not go a up  good amount over 20/30 years etc , whats the point................................ u can be be richer in dollars ,and poorer at same time, its rather funny in sad way how some people think bad investments are "good"

No bees, no honey.

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: May 6, 2013, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

18 is to old

any age is to old

only a fool takes the Annuity

also to person who said, u lose money by taking cash,

your just wrong, annuity is just cash jackpot invested into special us treasury notes lottery  can buy.

lets take highest rate of 30 year notes govt issue

the rate is 2.98% atm, yes, just freaking below 3%

got some news for u, there tons of investments WAY above 3%,  mini of 7% can be done easy

if u like risk u could try for more, , above that u be trying to beat market, and i don't think it work out long term of 30 years 

also stock dividends keep up with inflation and beat it. , that's right  so many people who don't understand money"poor people" are just wrong in thinkin

and this is one of them, annuity is idea of a poor person on how to get rich...............

inflation is leech form hell folks

i guest u want real data, so go offical federal reserve site

http://www.minneapolisfed.org/community_education/teacher/calc/hist1913.cfm?

in other words, lets say u won a jackpot in 1993

a $1.00 bill back then  could buy u what takes  $1.63 today

thats 63% inflation for U

now your earning 3%  a year  if u take  jackpot annuity

u may as will be investing in Finanical suicide bonds . as that's how dumb u have be

if u want to gamble , it be taking economic purchasing power and lowering it

only thing that makes sense, is take cash now" also taxes owed on whole amount now" but u can invest it in MUCH better things at much better rates, way above inflation, u make much more money over 3 decades

its all about making your purchasing power more ,  us bonds are worthless at such low levels u LOSE to much purchasing power compared to stock market etc

u think your safe at 3% ? not with inflation! that my whole point, 

to think us bonds at 3% in long term, is good  is irrational

Investing only makes sense if you are adequately compensated

i beg of u, don't kill your money like that. 

federal reserve  printing money out of Thin air,    then buying  us bonds"our debt",  there no need to offer higher rates to get people to BUY

people  with saving accounts and stuff  i feel sorry for, there to stupid  to understand  money issue's 

rich will be getting richer over time

, as only people who understand money  and how to makes lots of it,                 knows u cant just invest any where like us bonds.

, u Must battle  inflation and win

.  if your purchasing power does not go a up  good amount over 20/30 years etc , whats the point................................ u can be be richer in dollars ,and poorer at same time, its rather funny in sad way how some people think bad investments are "good"

I Agree!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19831 Posts
                              Posted: May 6, 2013, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

Depends on the amount and the amount I would be willing to manage or trust someone else to manage for me.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking