Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 9:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should I buy 5 QP in one ticket or 5 QP in 5 separate tickets?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 4 years ago by SergeM.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
California
United States
Member #112364
June 17, 2011
661 Posts
Posted: May 8, 2013, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

It looks like that if I buy 5 QP in one ticket, I would be more likely to have numbers repeated on different lines while if I buy 5 separate tickets, the numbers are more likely to be unique with no repeats.

Has anyone noticed it?

I think I would put a dollar and print it, put a dollar and print it and repeat the process as necessary.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
    NY
    United States
    Member #121961
    January 21, 2012
    3159 Posts
    Posted: May 9, 2013, 1:39 am - IP Logged

Does'nt matter, but a win on a single ticket always feel better. Usually buy single lines. Never hit a repeating number on a ticket with multiple lines.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
      Oklahoma
      United States
      Member #82391
      November 12, 2009
      6290 Posts
      Posted: May 9, 2013, 7:21 am - IP Logged

Seperate

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7340 Posts
        Posted: May 9, 2013, 9:34 am - IP Logged

I was told the lottery terminals creates a random list and distributes the QP lines from it. If that's true, players will get the same five lines whether they are five on one ticket or on five separate tickets.  We probably notice more repeat numbers when all the lines are on one ticket, but if I had more success having multiple lines on one ticket, I'd play that way. And the same is true for just one line on multiple tickets.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: May 9, 2013, 10:02 am - IP Logged

I was told the lottery terminals creates a random list and distributes the QP lines from it. If that's true, players will get the same five lines whether they are five on one ticket or on five separate tickets.  We probably notice more repeat numbers when all the lines are on one ticket, but if I had more success having multiple lines on one ticket, I'd play that way. And the same is true for just one line on multiple tickets.

I was told the lottery terminals creates a random list and distributes the QP lines from it.

Where/who did you hear that from? I kinda suspected that, and it might make sense from the network perspective.

I always remember the news story of Mike Barth, where someone cut in line in front of him, but the winning number for the $319M Mega Millions was on the next tickets after that:

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/229674

So when someone cuts in line and "takes your numbers" then that would literally be true. Or in the case of Mike Barth, they take the losing numbers, and leave the winning number for you! Thumbs Up

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: May 9, 2013, 11:05 am - IP Logged

It don't make no nevermind.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7340 Posts
              Posted: May 9, 2013, 11:25 am - IP Logged

I was told the lottery terminals creates a random list and distributes the QP lines from it.

Where/who did you hear that from? I kinda suspected that, and it might make sense from the network perspective.

I always remember the news story of Mike Barth, where someone cut in line in front of him, but the winning number for the $319M Mega Millions was on the next tickets after that:

So when someone cuts in line and "takes your numbers" then that would literally be true. Or in the case of Mike Barth, they take the losing numbers, and leave the winning number for you! Thumbs Up

When Ohio began selling MM tickets, they could not be voided. It was a clerk that told me the terminal created the list and she could view it. That made sense because of the no void policy. I hadn't thought about until it I saw this thread so I'll try to find out.

California
                United States
                Member #112364
                June 17, 2011
                661 Posts
                Posted: May 9, 2013, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

You mean the list is predetermined and fixed?

What if the winning numbers are not in the list?

Does it mean that no matter how many people in the entire country buy the tickets, no matter where they buy them or how many tickets they buy, if they all buy QP and the winning numbers are not in the list they are not going to win?

Is the list the same at every terminal?

California
                  United States
                  Member #112364
                  June 17, 2011
                  661 Posts
                  Posted: May 9, 2013, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

I think the exact microsecond where you buy the ticket also matters.

California
                    United States
                    Member #112364
                    June 17, 2011
                    661 Posts
                    Posted: May 9, 2013, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

This is the winning ticket Jon D is talking about. Notice the repeat numbers on different lines. The 2nd line has the winning numbers.

Los Angeles, California
                      United States
                      Member #103813
                      January 5, 2011
                      1530 Posts
                      Posted: May 9, 2013, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

You mean the list is predetermined and fixed?

What if the winning numbers are not in the list?

Does it mean that no matter how many people in the entire country buy the tickets, no matter where they buy them or how many tickets they buy, if they all buy QP and the winning numbers are not in the list they are not going to win?

Is the list the same at every terminal?

With a computer PRNG, you could say the numbers generated ARE in effect predetermined (by algorithm) and not truly random, if you know the starting conditions. The question is if an actual list is generated and kept per game.

Technically, the "winning numbers" do not exist until the bouncing balls are pulled through the poop chute at draw time.

As long as there is some number diversity and decent coverage, it should all work out OK. They'd have to have some difference between terminals otherwise that would stick out like a sore thumb as poor results.

But we don't know exactly how *good* the coverage of terminal QPs is compared to optimal, at least I don't know anyplace that reports that.

Anyway, as I noted in a different thread, the balls do not care.

California
                        United States
                        Member #112364
                        June 17, 2011
                        661 Posts
                        Posted: May 9, 2013, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

With a computer PRNG, you could say the numbers generated ARE in effect predetermined (by algorithm) and not truly random, if you know the starting conditions. The question is if an actual list is generated and kept per game.

Technically, the "winning numbers" do not exist until the bouncing balls are pulled through the poop chute at draw time.

As long as there is some number diversity and decent coverage, it should all work out OK. They'd have to have some difference between terminals otherwise that would stick out like a sore thumb as poor results.

But we don't know exactly how *good* the coverage of terminal QPs is compared to optimal, at least I don't know anyplace that reports that.

Anyway, as I noted in a different thread, the balls do not care.

>With a computer PRNG, you could say the numbers generated ARE in effect predetermined (by algorithm) and not truly random, if you know the starting conditions.

What are the starting conditions? Does it include the exact microsecond when the ticket is purchased?

>They'd have to have some difference between terminals otherwise that would stick out like a sore thumb as poor results.

If the location of the terminals plays a role, wouldn't it make it more like scratchers? With scratchers, where you buy the ticket is a determining factor whether you win or not.

And finally, is the algorithm the same whether you buy from a self service machine or from a machine operated by a clerk?

Los Angeles, California
                          United States
                          Member #103813
                          January 5, 2011
                          1530 Posts
                          Posted: May 9, 2013, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

>With a computer PRNG, you could say the numbers generated ARE in effect predetermined (by algorithm) and not truly random, if you know the starting conditions.

What are the starting conditions? Does it include the exact microsecond when the ticket is purchased?

>They'd have to have some difference between terminals otherwise that would stick out like a sore thumb as poor results.

If the location of the terminals plays a role, wouldn't it make it more like scratchers? With scratchers, where you buy the ticket is a determining factor whether you win or not.

And finally, is the algorithm the same whether you buy from a self service machine or from a machine operated by a clerk?

The terminal doesn't really play any role in whether you win for draw games, location doesn't really matter like it does for scratch games. But if we go way off tangent and you wanna talk philosophically, then you could think that only a certain subset of numbers would come out of any given machine on any given day, regardless of random seed like system noise and clock, etc.

But back to the original subject: does it help to buy 5 QP in separate tickets 1 line each, as opposed to all 5 lines on one ticket?

I don't think it really matters. But you can't actually test it, even though you may think you have seen a pattern. Unless you try QPs with one method, and then go back with a time machine to the exact time and starting conditions for the RNG and then select QPs with the other method, you'll never know the difference.

United States
                            Member #128790
                            June 2, 2012
                            5431 Posts
                            Posted: May 9, 2013, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

It looks like that if I buy 5 QP in one ticket, I would be more likely to have numbers repeated on different lines while if I buy 5 separate tickets, the numbers are more likely to be unique with no repeats.

Has anyone noticed it?

I think I would put a dollar and print it, put a dollar and print it and repeat the process as necessary.

It doesn't matter. There's a 99.9 % chance you won't win in your lifetime. It's really that simple when contending extremely high odds.

Unlike the masses who've been told that "if someone wins almost every week", so it makes sense to play. lol, There are so many losing for that one person to win.

You have to be in it to win, I get it, but the odds are the odds. They never quiver.

United States
                              Member #124814
                              March 20, 2012
                              219 Posts
                              Posted: May 9, 2013, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

The terminal doesn't really play any role in whether you win for draw games, location doesn't really matter like it does for scratch games. But if we go way off tangent and you wanna talk philosophically, then you could think that only a certain subset of numbers would come out of any given machine on any given day, regardless of random seed like system noise and clock, etc.

But back to the original subject: does it help to buy 5 QP in separate tickets 1 line each, as opposed to all 5 lines on one ticket?

I don't think it really matters. But you can't actually test it, even though you may think you have seen a pattern. Unless you try QPs with one method, and then go back with a time machine to the exact time and starting conditions for the RNG and then select QPs with the other method, you'll never know the difference.

If I had a time machine, running that little test is the last thing I would do. Big Smile