Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should I buy 5 QP in one ticket or 5 QP in 5 separate tickets?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 4 years ago by SergeM.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #128790
June 2, 2012
5431 Posts
Posted: May 9, 2013, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

If I had a time machine, running that little test is the last thing I would do. Big Smile

Ha ha, so right, the last thing on my mind would be a test. lol

I know what the next PB winning numbers will be for tonight, but I wanna run this untimely test about some BS that's not really that important, especially when time traveling . Green laugh

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
    California
    United States
    Member #112364
    June 17, 2011
    661 Posts
    Posted: May 10, 2013, 12:11 am - IP Logged

The terminal doesn't really play any role in whether you win for draw games, location doesn't really matter like it does for scratch games. But if we go way off tangent and you wanna talk philosophically, then you could think that only a certain subset of numbers would come out of any given machine on any given day, regardless of random seed like system noise and clock, etc.

But back to the original subject: does it help to buy 5 QP in separate tickets 1 line each, as opposed to all 5 lines on one ticket?

I don't think it really matters. But you can't actually test it, even though you may think you have seen a pattern. Unless you try QPs with one method, and then go back with a time machine to the exact time and starting conditions for the RNG and then select QPs with the other method, you'll never know the difference.

It doesn't matter if you are only concerned about winning the jackpot but wouldn't the chance of winning at least something like 1+1 or 3+0 be greater if none of the numbers are duplicate? If your numbers are all lumped together with too many duplicates instead of spreading it out, you are less likely to hit the smaller prize like 1+1 or 3+0 right?

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: May 10, 2013, 12:27 am - IP Logged

Ha ha, so right, the last thing on my mind would be a test. lol

I know what the next PB winning numbers will be for tonight, but I wanna run this untimely test about some BS that's not really that important, especially when time traveling . Green laugh

Ah yes, that gets the award for, "worst use of a time machine EVER!"

Famous man once said, "I can get a hell of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it."

So rather than testing QPs with various methods over and over again...just ask the programmer. Wink

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #103813
        January 5, 2011
        1530 Posts
        Posted: May 10, 2013, 12:32 am - IP Logged

It doesn't matter if you are only concerned about winning the jackpot but wouldn't the chance of winning at least something like 1+1 or 3+0 be greater if none of the numbers are duplicate? If your numbers are all lumped together with too many duplicates instead of spreading it out, you are less likely to hit the smaller prize like 1+1 or 3+0 right?

You are gonna have duplicates of white balls with 5 QP lines of PB.

It's kinda like the "Birthday Problem" where in a class of 30 people, it's likely that two people will have the same birthday. How can that be with 365 days and only 30 people?

With 5 QP lines of PB, 25 white balls with 59 possible numbers, you'd think you wouldn't have duplicates. But you are probably going to have about 2 to 3 duplicates.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: May 10, 2013, 2:45 am - IP Logged

When Ohio began selling MM tickets, they could not be voided. It was a clerk that told me the terminal created the list and she could view it. That made sense because of the no void policy. I hadn't thought about until it I saw this thread so I'll try to find out.

I had who I thought was a knowable clerk tell me I couldn't buy MM tickets for the drawing after 10:00PM on the night of the drawing.  Since it was only 10:15PM I told him to run my play slips anyway and he would surprised when my tickets were for that night's drawing and said he had confused MM with PB.  Most clerks seem knowable, what they don't know, they make up.  I only believe what a clerk tells me after I've read the same information from an official source.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
            Dump Water Florida
            United States
            Member #380
            June 5, 2002
            3104 Posts
            Posted: May 10, 2013, 7:41 am - IP Logged

The trouble with Random is ANYTHING can happen within the limits of the game. 

If you don't like your Quick Picks there is nothing you can do about it.

IMHO the optimal strategy would be to make your line(s) in CoverMaster using Timed Random which means your lines will be generated randomly and at the same time form a portion of an open cover wheel so previously lines are taken into account as each line is generated.

Once the lines are made, if you don't like them you can click the Randomize button as many times as you like to change the numbers around without changing their wheel matrix until you get something that feels lucky.

If playing a small full wheel buying single tickets is a consideration if lower tier prizes might independently fall below tax reporting where a multi-line ticket might total above the auto taxing trigger as happens when buying say ten dollars of a Pick-3 Straight number on the same play slip.  I am not a tax expert, do not take this as tax advice. 

BobP

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
              Economy class
              Belgium
              Member #123700
              February 27, 2012
              4035 Posts
              Posted: May 11, 2013, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

The trouble with Random is ANYTHING can happen within the limits of the game. 

If you don't like your Quick Picks there is nothing you can do about it.

IMHO the optimal strategy would be to make your line(s) in CoverMaster using Timed Random which means your lines will be generated randomly and at the same time form a portion of an open cover wheel so previously lines are taken into account as each line is generated.

Once the lines are made, if you don't like them you can click the Randomize button as many times as you like to change the numbers around without changing their wheel matrix until you get something that feels lucky.

If playing a small full wheel buying single tickets is a consideration if lower tier prizes might independently fall below tax reporting where a multi-line ticket might total above the auto taxing trigger as happens when buying say ten dollars of a Pick-3 Straight number on the same play slip.  I am not a tax expert, do not take this as tax advice. 

BobP

You can also create your mix in Excel using the random function. If you ask a full lotto for 15 euros here, you get a qp with every number twice in total. I think that if you ask it here for 5 euros, you would get five different combinations, no overlaps.

I wrote a simple full lotto function for Excel.

=FullLotto(5;1;56)

gives

4 36 47 24 11 + 28 55 44 22 31 + 38 3 37 51 20 + 7 21 42 25 41 + 29 10 16 5 35 +
              18 48 45 17 26 + 34 2 8 19 43 + 54 32 39 15 30 + 33 27 9 12 6 + 40 50 49 23 14 +
              46 13 1 56 53 + 52

a refresh gives

17 13 54 11 24 + 21 19 55 33 30 + 8 51 2 45 41 + 14 53 27 23 34 + 31 26 37 43 4 +
              9 6 3 20 50 + 48 47 56 38 36 + 10 35 52 25 16 + 46 40 15 49 29 + 44 42 32 18 22 +
              5 12 28 7 39 + 1

Using CoverMaster, you could type the numbers 1 to n, then click on randomize.