Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Hollywood Park Racing to CLOSE :-(

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 4 years ago by eddessaknight.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
LAS VEGAS
United States
Member #47729
November 22, 2006
4583 Posts
Posted: May 13, 2013, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

After 75 years the owners have annouinced an end of racing at end of this season in December. Slot will remain open

Track Ran out of Luck Unhappy

EddessaKnight

LAS VEGAS
    United States
    Member #47729
    November 22, 2006
    4583 Posts
    Posted: May 14, 2013, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps via strange coincidence  an anouncement from Hollywood said that there will be no more free rides on mass transit?

Picture @ Hollywood station did not download Unhappy

EddessaKnight

marcie's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg
      Ohio
      United States
      Member #49980
      February 21, 2007
      34521 Posts
      Posted: May 15, 2013, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

After 75 years the owners have annouinced an end of racing at end of this season in December. Slot will remain open

EddessaKnight

Yes, I just heard that today EDD, My Girl-friend here from Ca. and she to me that Hollywood Park closing

she said they are going to build Apartments there.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7341 Posts
        Posted: May 16, 2013, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

EddessaKnight

I've wondered how Keeneland can stay in business because they have have racing four weeks a year.

LAS VEGAS
          United States
          Member #47729
          November 22, 2006
          4583 Posts
          Posted: May 16, 2013, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

I've wondered how Keeneland can stay in business because they have have racing four weeks a year.

Good question on Keenland, Stack, don't know if they have current gaming (slots) operations on property .

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7341 Posts
            Posted: May 16, 2013, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

Good question on Keenland, Stack, don't know if they have current gaming (slots) operations on property .

Keeneland has simulcast betting five days a week, but even though the state legislators have talked for at least five years about adding other gaming like slots, it's nothing but talk and no action. From what I see, their only profits come from $3 admissions, food and drinks, and nothing near what they could make by adding 10 or more weeks of live racing.

LAS VEGAS
              United States
              Member #47729
              November 22, 2006
              4583 Posts
              Posted: May 17, 2013, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

Keeneland has simulcast betting five days a week, but even though the state legislators have talked for at least five years about adding other gaming like slots, it's nothing but talk and no action. From what I see, their only profits come from $3 admissions, food and drinks, and nothing near what they could make by adding 10 or more weeks of live racing.

I Agree!

This is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. Your recommendation, is most senible.

EddessaKnight

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                United States
                Member #112968
                June 29, 2011
                3857 Posts
                Posted: May 17, 2013, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

Eddesaknight, this is really a bummer !

I have a souvenir from there, a horse head bottle opener, it's one of my prized possessions.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3857 Posts
                  Posted: May 17, 2013, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

Atlantic city race course  has racing only 6 days a year, they're open every day for simulcast,

the 6 day meet is a requirement for their simulcast license.

the track is owned by the same co. that owns philadelphia park-now called parx racino

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

LAS VEGAS
                    United States
                    Member #47729
                    November 22, 2006
                    4583 Posts
                    Posted: May 17, 2013, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

Atlantic city race course  has racing only 6 days a year, they're open every day for simulcast,

the track is owned by the same co. that owns philadelphia park-now called parx racino

Do appreciate your informative update on Atlantic simulcast, haymaster, just too bad it's the wrong time zone for me Confused

EddessaKnight

LAS VEGAS
                      United States
                      Member #47729
                      November 22, 2006
                      4583 Posts
                      Posted: May 18, 2013, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I just heard that today EDD, My Girl-friend here from Ca. and she to me that Hollywood Park closing

she said they are going to build Apartments there.

I hear ya Marcie,

Wondering if the profitable slots will be moved into the new appartment complex ??? LOL

Fortuna

EddessaKnight

United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3857 Posts
                        Posted: May 18, 2013, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Have not heard this mentioned on TVG. wonder why ?

United States
                          Member #112968
                          June 29, 2011
                          3857 Posts
                          Posted: May 18, 2013, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

Do appreciate your informative update on Atlantic simulcast, haymaster, just too bad it's the wrong time zone for me Confused

EddessaKnight

I don't think it would have mattered, the meet was simulcast on a very limited basis.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7341 Posts
                            Posted: May 19, 2013, 12:03 am - IP Logged

Keeneland stays open more because of prestige and they do pack the the place when they are open. Their attendance was about 20,000 on Derby day and I believe some of the late money bet on Orb came from there.

LAS VEGAS
                              United States
                              Member #47729
                              November 22, 2006
                              4583 Posts
                              Posted: May 20, 2013, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

Keeneland stays open more because of prestige and they do pack the the place when they are open. Their attendance was about 20,000 on Derby day and I believe some of the late money bet on Orb came from there.

Hey Stack, heymaker, marcie, et al

As there have been several poster who have expressed an interest in Hollywoodf & Keeneland I am enclosing the Los Angelse Times colorful pix & story for your reference - will miss it !!!

EddessaKnight

Hollywood Park Racing  to close -  Los Angeles Times

Hollywood Park Race Track to Close in 2013 After 75 Years

hollywood-park

Image: Sportsillustrated.cnn.com

The Hollywood Park race track in Inglewood will close at the end of the year after 75 years of horse racing. Track president, Jack Liebau, said that with advancements in technology, fewer people are coming to the races to place their bets.

Southern California’s Hollywood Park race track will be hosting its final race at the end of 2013. According to ABC, the track’s history of hosting famous jockeys and horses, including Seabiscuit, Citation and Seattle Slew, is not enough to keep it from closing.

“We have over half of our businesses out of state as far as wagering is concerned, and there now is more wagering over the Internet than there is on track,” said Liebau, On Thursday, he announced that “the Hollywood Park will not apply with the California Horse Racing Board for any 2014 dates,” according to the Beverly Hills Courier.

Hall of fame jockey Mike Smith told ABC, “When I first came from New York, this is the first place I can to, so it’s a sad day for all of us.”

The last day of racing will be December 22, and reports indicate that the 260 acres of land will subsequently be developed into single-family homes, condos, retail space and a hotel.

Like Haute Living Los Angeles? Join our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter @HauteLivingLA. Want Haute Living Los Angeles delivered to your inbox once a week? Sign up for our newsletter.

by Alison Cavatore May 13, 2013 4:00 PM