Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

My Pick 4 Wins

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 4 years ago by LottoGuyBC.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
dking777's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg
Burbank CA
United States
Member #131965
August 22, 2012
25 Posts
Posted: May 13, 2013, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Hi All, 

I just started playing the Daily4 game in California at the end of March. ( I won twice at $200 in March) Since then, I have had 2 big hits and another  $200 hit.  I am wondering if I am having beginnings luck - or - if I have done my homework right prior to playing. 

CaLottery April 24 Daily 4 Win

May 11th Daily 4 Calottery Win

I am glad I found this forum to share with others who have caugth the Pick 4 fever.  (The odds are way better than the Pick 5 games, imo.) 

Sincerely, 

DKing

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19771 Posts
    Posted: May 13, 2013, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

Hi All, 

I just started playing the Daily4 game in California at the end of March. ( I won twice at $200 in March) Since then, I have had 2 big hits and another  $200 hit.  I am wondering if I am having beginnings luck - or - if I have done my homework right prior to playing. 

I am glad I found this forum to share with others who have caugth the Pick 4 fever.  (The odds are way better than the Pick 5 games, imo.) 

Sincerely, 

DKing

PartyParty

Let it Snow Snowman

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
      Massachusetts
      United States
      Member #37433
      April 14, 2006
      2747 Posts
      Posted: May 13, 2013, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

I am wondering if I am having beginnings luck - or - if I have done my homework right prior to playing. 

Whatever it is you're doing, keep doing it and congratulations!

That money's gone fo ever

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7302 Posts
        Posted: May 13, 2013, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

Hi All, 

Sincerely, 

DKing

Not very many members will say pick-4 is an easy win, but you showed how effective play can create a very nice win. Your win gives you enough in profits to continue the same play for another 540 drawings and giving you more opportunities for more wins.

Congratulations and welcome to LP!

Burbank CA
          United States
          Member #131965
          August 22, 2012
          25 Posts
          Posted: May 14, 2013, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

Hi, 

Thanks.  I got into the idea of this back in November.  In Cali, you can't walk down the street without finding discarded 'scratchers.' I started picking them up and entering them into the 'replay' game on the Internet.  Hey, it didn't cost me anything.  I wanted to know what the 'odds' were for the replay and did some homework.  I thought the more I 'trash' I collected - the better my odds.  Then I started finding 'winning' tickets.  I would find $40 to $50 every 100 tickets I picked up.  This got my attention.  People were throwing away their winnings.  Of course, I was finding alot of 'discard' 'free ticket' scratchers and started doing my homework to see which game had the better odds. I was finding a lot of $10 free tickets.  I asked the clerk at the store if I could get 'lottery' tickets instead of scratchers.  The odds for the three top selling scrathers for a $500 prize are: 

• Lucky for Life ( 1 in 10,061) caculated on the remaining prizes available for the $500. 
          • Fortune (1 in 4,061) caculated on remaining prizes for $500.
          • Spectacular ( 1 in 88,000) caculated on remaining prizes. $500. 

That is how I was introduced to the Pick 3 and Pick 4 games. I was trying to figure out which 'scratcher' to try my luck with from all the discarded 'free tickets" I was finding.  The odds are listed as 1 in 844 for a $1 play.  I was trying to figure out what the odds where if I played $10 worth of the free tickets I was finding.  I found a website that has a wheel generator and it lists the odds if you play combonations of numbers. 

• For $12 - the odds (for 12 way box) are listed as 1 in 69. 
          • The odds for a $15 (24 way box) are listed as 1 in 28. 

Unless I was reading things wrong - I figured that the odds were better if I turned those 'discarded' free scratchers tickets in and invested in either one of those two. 

The first tickets I traded in for the Pick4  hit with a $186 payout on the 24 way box.  It didn't cost me a dime of my own money.  The money hasn't stopped flowing in. 

If people want to think they have better odds playing the 'scratchers' - more power to them.  I will keep picking up the discard 'trash' I find and turn those 'free' tickets into cash with the Daily 4.   Big Smile

Sincerely, 

DKing

United States
            Member #111482
            May 26, 2011
            15 Posts
            Posted: May 14, 2013, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

anyone who thinks they have a "system" is a fool. you just got lucky a few times. nothing more random than the lottery and slots.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
              Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #103813
              January 5, 2011
              1530 Posts
              Posted: May 14, 2013, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

Hi All, 

Sincerely, 

DKing

Congrats on your Daily 4 straight hit! Nice work! (wish I had one of those....only had a few box hits)

I can understand what you're doing, and I can confirm what you said about the throwaways on Scratchers. I see many people in stores digging the throwaways out of the trash cans and scanning them, and they'll get a hit or two out of every dig. They visit many stores several times a day, I can easily see them getting $50 a day for free.

You wouldn't happen to be an old homeless asian guy in Hollywood, would you? Wink

Actually there are lots of them, seems each old guy stakes out his territory and stores. I've talked to a few of them about their finds. And you can easily see by the published numbers that millions of dollars in scratchers wins are thrown away on the lowest ticket and cash value prizes.

As for your calculations, people often fail to include all the wins on Scratchers in their calculations in the overall game return. But people have certain feelings about draw games versus scratchers that more to do with emotion than facts, so I won't say which is better. Just that Scratchers will give you about 65% return or more, whereas draw games typically give you only 50% return, if that. But Daily 3 and 4 are much more achievable to get that return, but you still have to deal with all the losing plays. Typically only getting 0.5% or 0.25% hits for Daily 3, 4. (Scratchers give you about 25% hits)

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
                Wisconsin
                United States
                Member #123290
                February 17, 2012
                3048 Posts
                Posted: May 14, 2013, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

DKing777

What was your "homework" you did for the Pick4 ?

Or where those wins Quick Picks?

...the secret to Luck is never to trust it...

2012 wins:$20 loss:$200  2013 wins:$100 loss:$270  2014 wins:$360 loss:$273 

2015 wins:$0 loss:$53  2016 Jan $0/$15.00 Feb $0/$2.50 Mar $0/$4.00 April $0/$0 May $0/$0

June $0/$0 July $0/$0 Aug $0/$0 Sep $0/$0 Oct $0/$0

Burbank CA
                  United States
                  Member #131965
                  August 22, 2012
                  25 Posts
                  Posted: May 14, 2013, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

anyone who thinks they have a "system" is a fool. you just got lucky a few times. nothing more random than the lottery and slots.

That is exactly what I found in my homework.  Other than the fact that the 12 way comes in 42% of the time and the 24 way comes in 50% of the time.  I try and keep a balance between betting on the two knowing those percentages.  As far as picking the numbers?  I have a coffee can with ten pieces of paper folded up with the numbers 0-9 printed on them.  I reach in and pull out four numbers and those are the four I bet against. It is a random game and I pick my numbers accordingly.  Randomly with no regard to 'hot' - 'cold' or 'due.'  The Genorator page lists the odds as 1 in 9 or a probality of 10.8%.  Out of 50 draws, I have hit 5 times or 10% of the time.  That is all I count on.  Each time I hit  - I have a .08% chance (12 way) or a .04% chance (24 way.)   Either way, I look at it as .08% or .04% chance is better than none. 

Sincerely, 

DKing

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
                    Wisconsin
                    United States
                    Member #123290
                    February 17, 2012
                    3048 Posts
                    Posted: May 14, 2013, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

Ahhhh, the old Coffee Can System!!  lol

Well it seems to be working for you, keep the wins coming!!

Post your winning tickets in our winners thread: Post Your Winning Tickets Here

Glad you found the forum, I felt the same way when I found it too, so happy!!Smiley

...the secret to Luck is never to trust it...

2012 wins:$20 loss:$200  2013 wins:$100 loss:$270  2014 wins:$360 loss:$273 

2015 wins:$0 loss:$53  2016 Jan $0/$15.00 Feb $0/$2.50 Mar $0/$4.00 April $0/$0 May $0/$0

June $0/$0 July $0/$0 Aug $0/$0 Sep $0/$0 Oct $0/$0

Burbank CA
                      United States
                      Member #131965
                      August 22, 2012
                      25 Posts
                      Posted: May 14, 2013, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Thanks. 

Nope - not Aisan and homeless in Hollywood.  I passed through Hollywood once and tried to find a store that sold scratchers but couldn't find any.  I thought tourists would be playing them a lot. 

On Saturday - I went to one of the stores that usually has a lot of scratchers in their trash can by the "lottery stand."  The clerk had empited the trash so there was none to collect.  Instead, I thought I would try my luck at the $10 card to give back some from what I had collected in the store from the past.  I had no expectation of winning - but - won $100.  I know they pay - but I don't like the odds. 

One thing about the scratchers is - I have never found any discarded (or overlooked) win on the crossword games. Only the one where your supposed to match the winning numbers.   My advise to those who do play the scratchers in California - to enter the numbers for the replay because if it is a winner - the computer will reject the entry and you can double check yourself before throwing the card away.  I read about a guy who throw a card away and his daughter was behind him and picked it up out of the trash can to replay it.  It turned out to be a $250,000 win. (I wish I would have found that one in the trash.) 

All this is just in time for Powerball -- huh/ . I would have never played it before due to the odds - but what the heck.  Maybe my luck will spill over into the big leauge and besides, the lottery is footing the bill now. 

Sincerely, 

DKing

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                        Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: May 14, 2013, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

Thanks. 

Nope - not Aisan and homeless in Hollywood.  I passed through Hollywood once and tried to find a store that sold scratchers but couldn't find any.  I thought tourists would be playing them a lot. 

On Saturday - I went to one of the stores that usually has a lot of scratchers in their trash can by the "lottery stand."  The clerk had empited the trash so there was none to collect.  Instead, I thought I would try my luck at the $10 card to give back some from what I had collected in the store from the past.  I had no expectation of winning - but - won $100.  I know they pay - but I don't like the odds. 

One thing about the scratchers is - I have never found any discarded (or overlooked) win on the crossword games. Only the one where your supposed to match the winning numbers.   My advise to those who do play the scratchers in California - to enter the numbers for the replay because if it is a winner - the computer will reject the entry and you can double check yourself before throwing the card away.  I read about a guy who throw a card away and his daughter was behind him and picked it up out of the trash can to replay it.  It turned out to be a $250,000 win. (I wish I would have found that one in the trash.) 

All this is just in time for Powerball -- huh/ . I would have never played it before due to the odds - but what the heck.  Maybe my luck will spill over into the big leauge and besides, the lottery is footing the bill now. 

Sincerely, 

DKing

Heh, that was just a joke, I knew you weren't *that* guy. Wink

Just a tip: the way you were calculating the odds on remaining Scratchers was not correct, not even in the ballpark. But I can still see why you chose Daily 4 to play instead of Scratchers. Most people would think that way.

As for crosswords, at least on the $5 Mega Crossword, those have some of the highest throwaway winners percentage. Only worse than that is $2 Triple Play, which is somewhat confusing play, leading to a high percentage of throwaway winners.

And yeah, I always enter 2nd chance replay. Never won anything though. And you notice how they recently added the 1000/month limit on replay entries? I assume that was to combat "dumpster diggers" entering tens of thousands of entries per month from throwaways. As a paying customer, I can kinda understand that, but that is up for debate on what is fair.

BTW, how many lines/plays do you play per daily 4 draw on average?

Burbank CA
                          United States
                          Member #131965
                          August 22, 2012
                          25 Posts
                          Posted: May 14, 2013, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Back in Febrary (24th) - I started a spreadsheet for the Daily 3 game and gave myself some 'monoplay' money.  I played everyday on the Morning and Evening draw - but didn't buy any tickets.  My dress rehearsal of sorts.   I wanted to see how to place the bets.  Whether to play 5, 6 or 7 numbers and to see what the hit/miss ratio would be and try and deterime how the 'doubles' and 'non-repeats' came in.  I kept track of my losings and winnings.  By March 9th, I was up $500 overall and decided to take some 'monoply money' and start playing the Daily 4 on a spreadsheet just to track how the 'doubles' came in according to there 'theoritical' prediction.  By March 22nd - I was up $1150 in monoplay money for both games.  (Daily 4 and Daily3.)  Of course, I was betting big with monoplay money and it was paying off.  I found some 'tickets' and turned them in to see what would happen in real life.  It hit.  I ain't got the courage to play big bets like I do with the spreadsheet account.  (It is now up to $11,590 for both accounts since Feb 24th.) 

I did find that when I formed a 'pattern' in picking the numbers - my hits went down.  So that is when I came up with the coffee can idea.  (I was actually testing it as I picked my own numbers.  The can started beating me.) 

I thought I was posting this 'thread' to the "post your winning tickets here.'  I hit the wrong button when trying to reply to that thead but since have learned how to post a reply to a thread without starting a new thread.  (Sorry about that.) 

Sincerely, 

DKing

Albany, GA
                            United States
                            Member #100611
                            November 15, 2010
                            10162 Posts
                            Posted: May 14, 2013, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Hi All, 

Sincerely, 

DKing

I would have to say definitely beginners luck. Don't get drawn in over your head. I started playing Georgia Cash 4 sometime around 2004. I didn't get my first exact order hit until over a year later. I probably won somewhere around $50,000 over the years but have spent far more than that to get those wins. I would hate to imagine how much money down the drain. I study and analyze numbers to the point of obsession every day but often go several months to a year without winning anything more substantial than a $100 box or two. It becomes extremely frustrating. There is no doubt I would be much better off in many regards today if I had never got involved with this game but too late now, got to keep trying is the pervasive mentality. Some people are lucky enough that they can win maybe 50-100k on one good number but I never had that kind of luck.

Burbank CA
                              United States
                              Member #131965
                              August 22, 2012
                              25 Posts
                              Posted: May 14, 2013, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

Hi Jon, 

How do you figure the odds on the remaining cards.  I took and put the numbers in a spreadsheet and just pasted the forumlas to get a rough estimate of the numbers. It is all a rough estimate and was too lazy to take and add up all the 'winning cards' and subtract them from the total.  Main point is, once the game starts and people start claiming prizes - the odds change.  To get the exact number - we would need to know how many original scratchers are still in cirucation. 

Hmmm. I have a whole bag with those dang $5 Mega Crosswords I haven't entered.  (I try and only enter the big payouts due to the 1000 limit.)  I love finding those $2 Triple plays.  Most of the time - it is only half finished and get to scratch them off.  A high percentage on those.  I did my research on the replay and found out that many of the games have about 2 to 5 million entries by the end of the draw.  Extreme odds, but - you don't have a chance to win unless your numbers are entered.  (A lot of work. If it wasn't for the finds - I wouldn't be doing it for the 'replay' game alone.)  I can see why many people don't bother with it. 

What is that saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure." 

Beside from my 'monoply' account - I am very conservative and only play $15 on the 'non-repeating' and have been since I started.  When the big check arrived - that is when I uped the ante and started playing $12 on doubles as well.  I am fairly new at aiming for the 'doubles.'  Last month - they were way over their projected number.  I keep everything in spreadsheet and have gone back a year and tracked how they fell during the months.  If one or the other went over - then within month or two - they would dipp way under.  So - I am waiting it out to see if they are going to lose ground while the 'non-repeating' numbers catch up,  Then, I am going to start betting on 6 wheeled numbers ($60) ever day. 

I track ever number I have drawn in order.  1st postion, second postion, and such to see how many hits I would have had - had I played a higher number. Last month, I would have had $1600 profit if I had played 6 numbers every day - aimed at both the 12way(doubles) and 24way(Non-repeating.) 

I am still testing the water - and I am leary about increasing my bets any - since - what I have been doing has been working just fine. 

Sincerely, 

David