Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Have you ever picked up discarded lottery tickets hoping you got an overlooked winner?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 4 years ago by winnnr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4146 Posts
Posted: May 29, 2013, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps thinking the previous ticket holder was too inebriated to tell the difference?

* l have not. But looking down at all those discarded tickets in the waste basket could make one wonder..what if- am l right or am l right?

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #94283
    July 17, 2010
    2284 Posts
    Posted: May 29, 2013, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

I have.

I was walking down the street once and saw 3 or 4 tickets strung out along there like they had fallen out of someone's pocket while they were riding a bike or something.

So I get them home and they're all winners, worth around $25 total.  I was thinking, I should find the owner.  But really is $25 worth trying to screen out the scammers?

So I took them to the store and the clerk tells me they've already been cashed.  Blush

Whaddya wanna bet someone cashed them in, and then did a quarter glued to the sidewalk trick - went out of sight somewhere and laughed their butt off when some dummy picked up those worthless tickets.

dager's avatar - vampireteeth100x98
      New Orleans
      United States
      Member #143282
      May 29, 2013
      36 Posts
      Posted: May 29, 2013, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

Maybe I should try that whenever I get a large win. :p

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: May 29, 2013, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps thinking the previous ticket holder was too inebriated to tell the difference?

* l have not. But looking down at all those discarded tickets in the waste basket could make one wonder..what if- am l right or am l right?

Yes, but the really good stuff is in the big dumpsters. Take a dive and you will thrive.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
          California
          United States
          Member #112364
          June 17, 2011
          661 Posts
          Posted: May 29, 2013, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

It's not my ticket. I did not buy it. So, I don't think it is right for me to pick it up and cash it.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4146 Posts
            Posted: May 29, 2013, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

I have.

I was walking down the street once and saw 3 or 4 tickets strung out along there like they had fallen out of someone's pocket while they were riding a bike or something.

So I get them home and they're all winners, worth around $25 total.  I was thinking, I should find the owner.  But really is $25 worth trying to screen out the scammers?

So I took them to the store and the clerk tells me they've already been cashed.  Blush

Whaddya wanna bet someone cashed them in, and then did a quarter glued to the sidewalk trick - went out of sight somewhere and laughed their butt off when some dummy picked up those worthless tickets.

Holy Cow- at least you gave it a shot.
            Dance

Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4146 Posts
              Posted: May 29, 2013, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

It's not my ticket. I did not buy it. So, I don't think it is right for me to pick it up and cash it.

Red- that's classic BS. You telling us that if you found a $20.00 bill on the sidewalk- you would leave it there?
              Let's not start with " there is a difference"...using your words" it's not mine" should be implemented universally by your standards, regardless of the situation.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                California
                United States
                Member #112364
                June 17, 2011
                661 Posts
                Posted: May 29, 2013, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Red- that's classic BS. You telling us that if you found a $20.00 bill on the sidewalk- you would leave it there?
                Let's not start with " there is a difference"...using your words" it's not mine" should be implemented universally by your standards, regardless of the situation.

Call me BS if you want but I wouldn't pick if it were 100 dollars. It's not my money. That's the bottom line.

United States
                  Member #130815
                  July 25, 2012
                  1636 Posts
                  Posted: May 29, 2013, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

Call me BS if you want but I wouldn't pick if it were 100 dollars. It's not my money. That's the bottom line.

LOL I ain't gonna lie to ya....I'll pick it up and I'll keep it if the owner isn't standing right there to claim it....I'll make it mine....Also here in NC your losing tickets (scratchers and draw tickets) can be turned in for points to enter 2nd chance drawings....so not to many folks throw their tickets away here...cause the losers may in fact add up to be winners

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                    United States
                    Member #130213
                    July 9, 2012
                    387 Posts
                    Posted: May 29, 2013, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

Picking (Up) Winners Without Placing a Bet

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/08/sports/08otb.html

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: May 29, 2013, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Anything thowed on the ground in East Tennessee has tobaccy juice spit on it right quick.

It's kind of a way to test yer aim, when you see something thowed on the ground you spit a big ol' wad o' tobaccy juice on it.

On a personal level, I don't cotton to gettin' other folks tobaccy juice on my hands.

So no, I don't pick 'em up.

Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4146 Posts
                        Posted: May 29, 2013, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

I think l read about you- the guy who does not pick up money.
                        Yeah was a big article a few years back.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                          Member #121745
                          January 16, 2012
                          4987 Posts
                          Posted: May 29, 2013, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

I do think this is innate with some people. I remember as a very little girl seeing a dollar bill on the floor on the way out of a grocery store. I did not pick it up since it was not mine but watched someone behind me scoop it up and I knew it was not their money. Now if it was $20 or more I would turn it in to see if the owner could be found. I picked up a few pick 3 tickets off the ground recently that I assumed someone had dropped. Did not see anyone around to ask, went home and checked them and thought what do I do if they are winners? Maybe donate the money to charity? But they were not winners. Theft is theft.

J'aime La France.

Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4146 Posts
                            Posted: May 29, 2013, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

I do think this is innate with some people. I remember as a very little girl seeing a dollar bill on the floor on the way out of a grocery store. I did not pick it up since it was not mine but watched someone behind me scoop it up and I knew it was not their money. Now if it was $20 or more I would turn it in to see if the owner could be found. I picked up a few pick 3 tickets off the ground recently that I assumed someone had dropped. Did not see anyone around to ask, went home and checked them and thought what do I do if they are winners? Maybe donate the money to charity? But they were not winners. Theft is theft.

" if the owner could be found"...magic words.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                              Member #121745
                              January 16, 2012
                              4987 Posts
                              Posted: May 29, 2013, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

" if the owner could be found"...magic words.

Making a sincere good faith effort is always a good thing!

J'aime La France.