Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Strange Phone Call

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 3 years ago by JoshUK.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
ORLANDO, FLORIDA
United States
Member #4924
June 3, 2004
5893 Posts
Posted: June 10, 2013, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

Received a very strange phone call to-night. The caller had no id, out of area. The caller ask me to go to a website and they would fix all my errors on my computer. Needless to say, I said, no thanks and hung up. I have no idea what that was about, but my gut feeling was, it can't be good!! Has anyone ever received that type of call?

United States
    Member #125918
    March 31, 2012
    362 Posts
    Posted: June 10, 2013, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Next time you get a call and do this.. Whisper low and say soft target is aquired and terminated and then say whiskey tango foxtrot... Then hang up haha haha it works..

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4786 Posts
      Posted: June 10, 2013, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

Next time you get a call and do this.. Whisper low and say soft target is aquired and terminated and then say whiskey tango foxtrot... Then hang up haha haha it works..

OMG I am going to do that next time. I just had a call where they knew my name and said hey you forgot to send in the payment for your car warranty that is about to expire! I said the FCC shut you clowns down for your robo calls and now you are still bothering people??? Click.

J'aime La France.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
        adelaide sa
        Australia
        Member #37136
        April 11, 2006
        3300 Posts
        Posted: June 10, 2013, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Received a very strange phone call to-night. The caller had no id, out of area. The caller ask me to go to a website and they would fix all my errors on my computer. Needless to say, I said, no thanks and hung up. I have no idea what that was about, but my gut feeling was, it can't be good!! Has anyone ever received that type of call?

i had one where they said  they where from microsoft and had detected a dangerous virus on my computer, and had called to help me fix it.

i told em i run linux and they said  '" huh "

if i was more with it i would have followed their instructions,   because i know they like to tell you to  activate remote access and give them your  IP adress.  i wouldnt actually do that, but i would  have liked to hear the instructions.  next time i will play along and record the conv over the phone. to post on u toob.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Columbia, SC
          United States
          Member #135285
          November 21, 2012
          584 Posts
          Posted: June 10, 2013, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

For about 5 months, I was getting very similiar phone calls 3 to 4 times a day. The number would state "unknown". I can block private numbers on my home phone but I cannot block "unknown" . They sounded to be from India and would state they were calling from Microsoft and my computer was sending signals and they needed me to go to a website and download something to stop this. In the beginning, I would just hang up on them. Then there were times when I would ask them to add me to their "Do Not Call List"...Then there were times when I'd lie and tell them I didn't have a computer, and they would hang up. Then there were other times, when noticing the unknown number on my ID that I would just let the phone ring. It got so bad that there were times when I would have to unplug my phone.

Long story short, they stopped calling until about a month ago.  Out of the blue, the phone rang with "unknown" displayed on the caller ID. I already knew who it was, but like a dipwit, I answered.  As usual, it was the Indian voice stating he was calling from Microsoft. As I interrupted him to bluntly tell him I am supposed to be on their "Do No Call" list, he had the nerve to blurt out a profane comment to me.!!!!.I know my jaw had to drop to the floor because it was the last thing I expected to hear. I thought I had to be misunderstanding him so I replied with an Excuse me????? He said the statement again and repeated it very slowly this time .  I was in shock and told him if he ever called my house again, I would be contacting authorities.

I haven't heard back from them and I can't be for certain if this is why they stopped. It really ticks me off that they call from these unknown numbers and can  basically say anything they want to and get away with it because of this "unknown" number thing.

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
            Kentucky
            United States
            Member #35086
            March 12, 2006
            10374 Posts
            Posted: June 10, 2013, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

For about 5 months, I was getting very similiar phone calls 3 to 4 times a day. The number would state "unknown". I can block private numbers on my home phone but I cannot block "unknown" . They sounded to be from India and would state they were calling from Microsoft and my computer was sending signals and they needed me to go to a website and download something to stop this. In the beginning, I would just hang up on them. Then there were times when I would ask them to add me to their "Do Not Call List"...Then there were times when I'd lie and tell them I didn't have a computer, and they would hang up. Then there were other times, when noticing the unknown number on my ID that I would just let the phone ring. It got so bad that there were times when I would have to unplug my phone.

Long story short, they stopped calling until about a month ago.  Out of the blue, the phone rang with "unknown" displayed on the caller ID. I already knew who it was, but like a dipwit, I answered.  As usual, it was the Indian voice stating he was calling from Microsoft. As I interrupted him to bluntly tell him I am supposed to be on their "Do No Call" list, he had the nerve to blurt out a profane comment to me.!!!!.I know my jaw had to drop to the floor because it was the last thing I expected to hear. I thought I had to be misunderstanding him so I replied with an Excuse me????? He said the statement again and repeated it very slowly this time .  I was in shock and told him if he ever called my house again, I would be contacting authorities.

I haven't heard back from them and I can't be for certain if this is why they stopped. It really ticks me off that they call from these unknown numbers and can  basically say anything they want to and get away with it because of this "unknown" number thing.

Good   One    Tony    Thumbs Up

Thats  Gonna   Be   A  Classic  Right   There    (  I   like  it  )  Smile

The way I usually do them  Cin Cin , is I beat them to those bad words ,  before they can say them , because there aint nothing that peas  me off more than those type of calls

They  get  in  a  cussing  contest  with  me  ,  when  I  am  mad ,  and  they  are  gonna  lose  (  and  thats  a  fact  )

Here's  one to try...........let them start into their  pitch  ( where they go on for  5  minutes ) and as soon as they start... ....just lay the phone down and leave it  on , and  just  walk  away

Go back later and  hang  it  up

They talk on their dime, until they finally realize  ,  that  there is no one there ,  on the other end of the line anymore Smile

Usually dont hear back from them

Works  for   me

I  got  on  the  no   call   list   a  few  years  ago.............it  really  helped

But for some reason , it dont seem too  apply  to   the  politicians  ,  they  dont have to follow the same rules ,  as  usual , as  everyone  else  ( which really  irks  me  ) , and which most  the  time ,  are usually just  as  bad

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #35086
              March 12, 2006
              10374 Posts
              Posted: June 10, 2013, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

Okay     Ridge

Tell  us  how  you  deal  with  these  type  calls

I  know  its   gonna   be   a     Classic      Smile

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                u$a
                United States
                Member #106665
                February 22, 2011
                19752 Posts
                Posted: June 10, 2013, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

LOL

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                  NY
                  United States
                  Member #121961
                  January 21, 2012
                  3157 Posts
                  Posted: June 11, 2013, 12:57 am - IP Logged

Had good luck registering with donotcall.gov. It could be your neighbor. You can get a free number from any state thru google voice and maybe any country. I have one from alabama and pranked some people i know.

Columbia, SC
                    United States
                    Member #135285
                    November 21, 2012
                    584 Posts
                    Posted: June 11, 2013, 2:10 am - IP Logged

The way I usually do them  Cin Cin , is I beat them to those bad words ,  before they can say them , because there aint nothing that peas  me off more than those type of calls

They  get  in  a  cussing  contest  with  me  ,  when  I  am  mad ,  and  they  are  gonna  lose  (  and  thats  a  fact  )

Here's  one to try...........let them start into their  pitch  ( where they go on for  5  minutes ) and as soon as they start... ....just lay the phone down and leave it  on , and  just  walk  away

They talk on their dime, until they finally realize  ,  that  there is no one there ,  on the other end of the line anymore Smile

Works  for   me

I  got  on  the  no   call   list   a  few  years  ago.............it  really  helped

But for some reason , it dont seem too  apply  to   the  politicians  ,  they  dont have to follow the same rules ,  as  usual , as  everyone  else  ( which really  irks  me  ) , and which most  the  time ,  are usually just  as  bad

oh wow.. This is GREAT advice!! I' ve seriously never thought about doing this!!! It makes sense!!! Thanks so much for sharing !!!

Columbia, SC
                      United States
                      Member #135285
                      November 21, 2012
                      584 Posts
                      Posted: June 11, 2013, 2:18 am - IP Logged

Works  for   me

I hear ya about beating them with the bad words, but this was more than just a statement that involved cursing. This was a statment that involved telling someone what they wanted to do them sexually.

PS I signed up on the government DO NO CALL list when it first came out. I think I've even done it twice...I STILL get calls!!! I can't ve for certain if this thing even works.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #35086
                        March 12, 2006
                        10374 Posts
                        Posted: June 11, 2013, 2:45 am - IP Logged

I hear ya about beating them with the bad words, but this was more than just a statement that involved cursing. This was a statment that involved telling someone what they wanted to do them sexually.

PS I signed up on the government DO NO CALL list when it first came out. I think I've even done it twice...I STILL get calls!!! I can't ve for certain if this thing even works.

Yep  .....  it   takes   all   kinds  to  make  a  world    CinCin

Including   the   Low  Life   you  mentioned  in  your  post  that  was  talking  to  you

People are very brave on a phone , when  they  know  you  cant  get  your  hands  on  them

The  no  call  list  worked good for  me  for  quite awhile  ( got rid of about  90 %  of  the  unwanted  calls )

Then they started again ,  now  and  then  ,  after a few years  , so  I  renewed  again  on  it  ,  and  then they slowed  down  again

I  hope  it   improves  and  works  better  for  you

Best   Wishes

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                          ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                          United States
                          Member #4924
                          June 3, 2004
                          5893 Posts
                          Posted: June 11, 2013, 4:00 am - IP Logged

i had one where they said  they where from microsoft and had detected a dangerous virus on my computer, and had called to help me fix it.

i told em i run linux and they said  '" huh "

if i was more with it i would have followed their instructions,   because i know they like to tell you to  activate remote access and give them your  IP adress.  i wouldnt actually do that, but i would  have liked to hear the instructions.  next time i will play along and record the conv over the phone. to post on u toob.

Those are pretty much the same words.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                            Member #52345
                            May 21, 2007
                            2657 Posts
                            Posted: June 11, 2013, 6:38 am - IP Logged

I'll have to remember this the next time I get a political call LOL

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                              u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19752 Posts
                              Posted: June 11, 2013, 8:16 am - IP Logged

i never answer my phone the machine gets it Patriotproblem solved

Let it Snow Snowman