Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How do you change your life style without arising suspicion?

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Teddi.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
California
United States
Member #112364
June 17, 2011
661 Posts
Posted: June 12, 2013, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

Suppose you live in a state where you are allowed to claim anonymously or you don't live in such state but there is another way to claim your winning anonymously. Nobody knows that you are the winner. Nobody but you.

How do you spend the money or change your lifestyle without arising suspicion of your friends and relatives? How do you change your 10-year old Honda to a brand new Cadillac without people wondering? How do you give money away to people you care without them asking where the money come from? They know you are poor and now give money away.

Claiming the prize anonymously is one thing. Spending it without arising suspicion is quite another thing.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19967 Posts
    Posted: June 12, 2013, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

Suppose you live in a state where you are allowed to claim anonymously or you don't live in such state but there is another way to claim your winning anonymously. Nobody knows that you are the winner. Nobody but you.

How do you spend the money or change your lifestyle without arising suspicion of your friends and relatives? How do you change your 10-year old Honda to a brand new Cadillac without people wondering? How do you give money away to people you care without them asking where the money come from? They know you are poor and now give money away.

Claiming the prize anonymously is one thing. Spending it without arising suspicion is quite another thing.

how do you know if your state allows anonymously What?

Patriot

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
      East of Columbus, OH
      United States
      Member #120843
      December 28, 2011
      451 Posts
      Posted: June 12, 2013, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

You remain anonymous to the masses, but eventually friends and family will find out.  Not really sure you could remain "anonymous" when you start buying things you shouldn't be able to afford.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
        East of Columbus, OH
        United States
        Member #120843
        December 28, 2011
        451 Posts
        Posted: June 12, 2013, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

Check your states lottery site.  There is usually a FAQ section that tells if you can or cannot remain anonymous.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
          California
          United States
          Member #112364
          June 17, 2011
          661 Posts
          Posted: June 12, 2013, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

how do you know if your state allows anonymously What?

All but five states (DE, KS, MD, ND, OH) have laws that require the lottery to release the name and city of residence to anyone who asks.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
            u$a
            United States
            Member #106665
            February 22, 2011
            19967 Posts
            Posted: June 12, 2013, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

All but five states (DE, KS, MD, ND, OH) have laws that require the lottery to release the name and city of residence to anyone who asks.

oK thanks for the info: well to answer your questions

1. i have no family

2. i would be moving so no one will know me anyways

3. there is no 3 No Nod

Patriot

Los Angeles, CA
              United States
              Member #138363
              January 25, 2013
              6 Posts
              Posted: June 12, 2013, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

I would tell them I won the lottery but lie about how much I won. Like if I won a 100 million I would tell them I won 100 thousand so that way I could help them out if they need money but know they won't ask for too much. I wouldn't but anything too crazy too fast and maybe start a small business or something to explain the other things I buy over time.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5146 Posts
                Posted: June 12, 2013, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

rad:

RESEARCH>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

keep post'n on >>>>>lottery Post.........

read>>>>>>>>>

Billionaire2bee>>!

Party

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                  Member #121745
                  January 16, 2012
                  4987 Posts
                  Posted: June 12, 2013, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

I don't think my buying a new car (or anyone buying a new car) or upgrading my lifestyle would create any suspicion that I secretly won a big lottery (unless the car was really extreme). I would just say it is book money (to close friends) but I doubt few people I am not friends with would even ask me that...if someone started asking me nosy financial questions (and I have been asked them), I ask them if they are having financial issues and advise them to call their employer for counseling or a referral, etc. Turn the question around, it is easy. Why would anyone be answering financial questions to anyone that they weren't legally obligated to do so? The mock shock routine works well also.

And poor people make charitable contributions as well and no one would know what charities I gave $ to but the IRS, myself and my accountant. Maybe in very small  town, people may whisper but I never think twice when a neighbor buys a new car, etc. A lot of people are in debt up to their eyeballs anyway. Every fall, I am heavily involved with a local charitable event (time and money) and I had a woman acquaintance ask me how much $ I spent/donated each year. I asked her why she would need to know this on any level other than gossip purposes? It stopped her dead in her tracks.

If someone asks you a question that is none of their business, don't answer it.

J'aime La France.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19903 Posts
                    Posted: June 12, 2013, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

Why would you want to park a new Cadillac in the same place that was appropriate for a 10 year old Honda?  I would be living in a new neighborhood where new Cadillacs were common, maybe even a place that had a garage to park it in.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                      NY
                      United States
                      Member #121961
                      January 21, 2012
                      3159 Posts
                      Posted: June 13, 2013, 1:00 am - IP Logged

If they did'nt know i won, i would tell them the Cadillac is stolen.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94283
                        July 17, 2010
                        2284 Posts
                        Posted: June 13, 2013, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

If they did'nt know i won, i would tell them the Cadillac is stolen.

laughing dog smiley

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #94283
                          July 17, 2010
                          2284 Posts
                          Posted: June 13, 2013, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

oK thanks for the info: well to answer your questions

1. i have no family

2. i would be moving so no one will know me anyways

3. there is no 3 No Nod

This is pretty much my sitch too.  I have relatives, but no one close enough to know my financial situation.  I have a few friends who would be curious.  I'd probably tell them I got a small inheritance or something.  You could tell them your portfolio has been doing well for several years so you decided to cash some out. 

But I wouldn't go hog wild no matter how much I win.  I'd upgrade to an upper middle class neighborhood, and buy a Mercedes.  Other than that, most of my purchases wouldn't be conspicuously out of line.  It's no one's business how much I give to charity now, and that wouldn't change if I was wealthy.  I do that kind of stuff under the radar.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                            United States
                            Member #112968
                            June 29, 2011
                            3857 Posts
                            Posted: June 13, 2013, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

I would not change my lifestyle that quickly, main difference is I would no longer have a job.

Only the people at work would notice that, my neighbors would not b/c I have a weird schedule, work weekends.

Even when they seen my truck is at home 7 days a week,  I would just say, I 'm on layoff.

As for new vehicles and other obvious things, everyone knows I trade stocks, so I would use that explain my windfall.

Another plan I have is saying the new found wealth is the result of a legal settlement, and part of the settlement is I cannot discuss it w/anyone.

ROFL  Here come the Judge, Judge, yea don't nobody budge, cause here come the Judge. ROFL

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

sookie's avatar - nw femalewiz.jpg

United States
                              Member #142686
                              May 17, 2013
                              94 Posts
                              Posted: June 13, 2013, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

It won't be an issue for me because when I do win, I will be moving in fairly short order before buying a new car, ect. I'd move to a gated community.