Welcome Guest
You last visited May 28, 2017, 10:17 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So if you won the jackpot...Would you still keep a landline telephone??

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Artist77.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10460 Posts
Posted: June 13, 2013, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Yup, would still keep one.

Have one now.

With the last roubd of storms in the Midwest people thought, "Im, ok, I have a cell phone." They got a big surprise when the towers weren't working and there was no cell phone communications.

There's been numerous times when everything else was out but we still had LL.

On tiday's news they talked about cell phone theft growing and growing and how talking on one in public makes you a target.

And why, oh why, can't people stay off of them? And are so freaking loud when they talk on them in public places?

People are getting creamed on highways because some reprobate has to talk to or text some other reprobate.

What we need is a cell phone sniper. Not a sniper on a cell phone, but one who is picking off drivers on cell phones.

YMMV

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
    Member #125918
    March 31, 2012
    364 Posts
    Posted: June 13, 2013, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

Well even if i had a Landline phone i would set my phone to forward to this --> 

Definition Annoying: 917-475-0060

Humor Hotlines Definition Annoying: 917-475-0060
    Annoyed with someone? Well let them know. Get literal and have them call 917-475-0060.
    Green laughGreen laughGreen laughGreen laughGreen laugh
      Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      5249 Posts
      Posted: June 13, 2013, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

Have one now.

With the last roubd of storms in the Midwest people thought, "Im, ok, I have a cell phone." They got a big surprise when the towers weren't working and there was no cell phone communications.

On tiday's news they talked about cell phone theft growing and growing and how talking on one in public makes you a target.

And why, oh why, can't people stay off of them? And are so freaking loud when they talk on them in public places?

People are getting creamed on highways because some reprobate has to talk to or text some other reprobate.

What we need is a cell phone sniper. Not a sniper on a cell phone, but one who is picking off drivers on cell phones.

YMMV

yea I would keep mine although I rarely use it. When about everyone who knew me was trying to reach me on 9-11, the landline was where they reached me first (when I finally got home). Of course, fighter jets were zooming overhead so I was almost yelling for them to hear me. Any catastrophe, and cell phones are useless for a long time. I have seen it happen too many times.  If you make emergency plans, don't assume the cell phones will work.They will not.

The invaders are here. Stand with President Trump against Jihadist  Islamic terrorists. Prayers for the families and people of Manchester.

LAKE HAVASU AZ
        United States
        Member #44729
        August 8, 2006
        447 Posts
        Posted: June 13, 2013, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

have'nt had a land line in 5 years ....but my cell phone would change and i'd use the good old fashion CB RADIO...Wink

some day....some day

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7483 Posts
          Posted: June 13, 2013, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

i have a home phone but i haven't heard it ring for long time No Nod

I have a solution. Win a large jackpot, post your home phone number, and you'll get lots of phone calls. LOL

aux8b's avatar - home

United States
            Member #57793
            January 19, 2008
            2395 Posts
            Posted: June 13, 2013, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Cool No phone, and cell phone. Cool

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
              u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19967 Posts
              Posted: June 13, 2013, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

I have a solution. Win a large jackpot, post your home phone number, and you'll get lots of phone calls. LOL

i am getting excited about this Hurray!

Patriot

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                Dallas, Texas
                United States
                Member #4549
                May 2, 2004
                1875 Posts
                Posted: June 14, 2013, 11:29 am - IP Logged

In East Texas dropouts are still common. Some parts of the next county didn't have landline service until 1994!

Even though this house is about a mile from the towers I get drop outs daily. Kept a landline for about three years then realized it never rang and I never used it unless it was a tele-idiot call. Still have to keep the phone for DSL service but had the phone service disconnected. Saved $40.

Not like the service in Dallas where we had the landline 30 plus years and cells never were down.

Country life is new and exciting. (sometimes)

Ad different.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

dager's avatar - vampireteeth100x98
                  New Orleans
                  United States
                  Member #143282
                  May 29, 2013
                  36 Posts
                  Posted: June 14, 2013, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Have one now.

YMMV

Here it wouldn't matter.  We're below sea level, and all of our lines are above ground on telephone poles... anything knocking out towers will knock out the poles too.

I haven't had a landline for about 10 years.

luckyshoes's avatar - nw lady.jpg
                    Moving West
                    United States
                    Member #79502
                    September 2, 2009
                    6538 Posts
                    Posted: June 14, 2013, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

No way. My sons  never knew us to have one. They  needed shown how to use  a rotary phone when they had to. I think the cell phone would be ringing day and night let alone a LL non-stop.

Surely the most important news of any day ...

is that the sun has risen one more time. Sun Smiley

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3325 Posts
                      Posted: June 14, 2013, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

if i did i wouldnt answer it. also would touch up the lawyers or bankers for a credit card untill the payment clears. would get a big safe car to chaueffer me around, a service not my car. anyone seeing you driving is likely to throw hemselves in front. so let em sue the chaueffer company.

" Still swinging, still missing "
                      2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596: JAN= -

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318: JAN= -39

sookie's avatar - nw femalewiz.jpg

United States
                        Member #142686
                        May 17, 2013
                        95 Posts
                        Posted: June 14, 2013, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

Yes, for emergencies.  And I still have my cell phone as well...  but the #s would be changed shortly before I claimed the ticket.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                          Oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #82391
                          November 12, 2009
                          6325 Posts
                          Posted: June 14, 2013, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

I have one but it's used for our home security.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Goteki54's avatar - Lottery-007.jpg
                            Baltimore, MD
                            United States
                            Member #143332
                            May 30, 2013
                            405 Posts
                            Posted: June 14, 2013, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

I rarely use my landline phone as it is. If I hit the lotto, how could anyone track me dowin if my number is unlisted?

Following the trends and patterns means following the money!Banana

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                              Member #121745
                              January 16, 2012
                              5249 Posts
                              Posted: June 14, 2013, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

I rarely use my landline phone as it is. If I hit the lotto, how could anyone track me dowin if my number is unlisted?

My landline # has been unlisted forever and I am on a do not call list.  Everytime I get a  telemarketer call and ask where they got this number, they claim they bought the number from some list.

The invaders are here. Stand with President Trump against Jihadist  Islamic terrorists. Prayers for the families and people of Manchester.