Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What are the chances that a person be at the right place at the right time to win a jackpot?

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 4 years ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: June 18, 2013, 8:51 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

This morning I was hearing on the radio about the raffle my state lottery is doing in July. I haven't played that because only one person will win and you only win 50 percent of the raffle prize. A few years ago around Christmas we  had a good raffle but not anymore. The reason I mentioned this is because it got me thinking of how truly hard it is to be at the right place at the right time to win a jackpot.  One of the reasons I've been playing less these many months (other than being able to save money) is due to the fact that it truly seems to be impossible to be able to be at the right time and place to win a jackpot.  When it comes to scratchers there are so many retailers in each state selling these tickets and when you look at a 5 dollar scratch ticket that prints out 25 million tickets and only 6 people will win 1 million dollars it seems almost unatainable to win a jackpot. You could be in a store and the person in front or behind you could get the winning ticket there is no way to know. On draw games sometimes it can seem like a milisecond when someone somewhere in the US might win and with odds of 1 out of 175 million that just seems so hard. When I play MM and PB I always play in hopes of just being able to win a lower tiered prize (most I ever won was 20 dollars).  Lastly with Mass Cash in my state the odds are supposed to be better getting 5 numbers out of a total of 35 numbers and odds are something like 1 to 325,000 to win top prize of 100K. I have only once gotten 3 numbers and won 10 dollars and that's it.  It seems like one could play for the rest of their lives and never win a decent amount in the lottery. I know it's my choice to play but it would be nice if the odds were not so stacked against us. For instance why can't the lottery be more fairer to their players and give out more prizes to more people?  Do others think as I do about this?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4146 Posts
    Posted: June 18, 2013, 9:54 am - IP Logged

Like Gloria...

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: June 18, 2013, 10:03 am - IP Logged

Sometimes you have to shove your way into the right place at the right time..... like Gloria.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #74096
        May 2, 2009
        23238 Posts
        Posted: June 18, 2013, 10:14 am - IP Logged

It can't be sensational if they let a bunch of people win bigger prizes..the bait is the large jackpot and the
        slogan: it can happen to you...emphasis on 'you'.
        If they started giving bigger prizes to people or splitting an awesome jackpot 30 ways, the lure of big money
        for a buck or two becomes ho hum when you can only win a couple million instead of $300M all by yourself.
        I think it would be a good idea to spread the wealth and have often thought big jackpots going to just one person
        downright stinks.
        I hate winning $2 but would be happy to split a giant jackpot 20 ways with someone else.

010 122 963 824 684 584 0000 6837 4061 1207 2319 4901 1009 1347 1537

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
          Beautiful Florida
          United States
          Member #5709
          July 18, 2004
          20244 Posts
          Posted: June 18, 2013, 10:16 am - IP Logged

1 in 325,000

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            42075 Posts
            Posted: June 18, 2013, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Sometimes you have to shove your way into the right place at the right time..... like Gloria.

Who is Gloria?

HyperBe Happy.

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: June 18, 2013, 11:01 am - IP Logged

Who is Gloria?

The last big pushy white powerball winner lady.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                Beautiful Florida
                United States
                Member #5709
                July 18, 2004
                20244 Posts
                Posted: June 18, 2013, 11:08 am - IP Logged

Glooorrrrrria, it's not Marieeeee. Glooorrrrrria, it's not Sherrrrrrrieeeee. Gloria for she's not in Love with meeeeeee.... Oh Noo Noo Ooooohhhh....

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #86154
                  January 30, 2010
                  1654 Posts
                  Posted: June 18, 2013, 11:19 am - IP Logged

It can't be sensational if they let a bunch of people win bigger prizes..the bait is the large jackpot and the
                  slogan: it can happen to you...emphasis on 'you'.
                  If they started giving bigger prizes to people or splitting an awesome jackpot 30 ways, the lure of big money
                  for a buck or two becomes ho hum when you can only win a couple million instead of $300M all by yourself.
                  I think it would be a good idea to spread the wealth and have often thought big jackpots going to just one person
                  downright stinks.
                  I hate winning $2 but would be happy to split a giant jackpot 20 ways with someone else.

Good post and very interesting train of thougt. Once again, I'm reminded of how the "possibility" of a windfall completely changes a person's outlook. Not yours, but people I know personally in my circle and a fair amount here at LP. They make millions of people feel that it's easy to win this thing...they just have to play. "It could be you (your turn)." All that money won by just a single person is completely pointless in my opinion as well. To reduce the number count and make it to where more players can match up and win would seem to be a great idea.

I can see where those players, which think logically and aren't greedy, would increase their playing frequency and possibly the amount they'd spend. Here's the meat of my point, though:

"the lure of big money 
                  for a buck or two becomes ho hum when you can only win a couple million instead of $300M all by yourself."

Lots of people will only play when the pot is way, way up there and want to win it...all by themselves. The thought of having to split it kills them. It's as though even $1M wouldn't change their lives completely and forever for the better...providing they manage the funds wisely. I started a topic a very long time ago titled, How Much Money To (Try) and Win. The views regarding when and why people play for only the large, or record sums of money were interesting to say the least. The best one was, "I won't even play unless it's up to AT LEAST "X" amount." I forget the actual figure but, that really boggled me. Hell, if I had to split a (5) number match for $1M with several others, I'd still be as happy as a hog in slop. That money's gonna pay some things off and make my life easier and maybe even someone else's close to me.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: June 18, 2013, 11:46 am - IP Logged

If there was a "pool option" on the play slip for an extra couple bucks it would not affect the advertised jackpot amount AND those who dont like the idea of sharing just wont check the box and pay the extra bucks.

If they win they get the whole jckpot and the "pool option" has no effect on them whatsoever.

dager's avatar - vampireteeth100x98
                      New Orleans
                      United States
                      Member #143282
                      May 29, 2013
                      36 Posts
                      Posted: June 18, 2013, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

I don't mind sharing, but I'm not going to pay extra to do so unless it actually gives the pool extra chances.  Chances are the extra few bucks for checking that option would go to whichever lottery coporation managed the game you were playing.  You'd just be giving them more money.

Think about a pool of 100 people who each paid an extra $2 for their ticket to get them in the "official" pool. That would give something like Powerball $4 per ticket.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7344 Posts
                        Posted: June 18, 2013, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

Like Gloria...

I never saw the actual figure on how many tickets were sold to produce one jackpot winner, but over 232 million tickets were sold just for the drawing Gloria won. For those who thought their odds were 175 million to 1, better think again because the chances against were much higher.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                          Los Angeles, California
                          United States
                          Member #103813
                          January 5, 2011
                          1530 Posts
                          Posted: June 18, 2013, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

I never saw the actual figure on how many tickets were sold to produce one jackpot winner, but over 232 million tickets were sold just for the drawing Gloria won. For those who thought their odds were 175 million to 1, better think again because the chances against were much higher.

Total sales for that run from 4/3/13 to 5/18/13 were $1,237,330,368. Give 18% for 2nd-thru-9th prizes, and Gloria got the remaining $371M.(minus reserve)

Takes millions of losers to make one (after tax) 1/4 billionaire. No way around it if we're gonna have enormous jackpots.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                            u$a
                            United States
                            Member #106665
                            February 22, 2011
                            19964 Posts
                            Posted: June 18, 2013, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

i'm glad i was at the right place at the right time to read this postDance

Let it Snow Snowman

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10391 Posts
                              Posted: June 18, 2013, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

i'm glad i was at the right place at the right time to read this postDance

helpmewin,

Green laugh

shyguitar,

Even is you were to be visited by ythe Lottery Faerie herslef and she told you when to play (go to a certain liquor store, wait until a woman in purple buys some Gunness Stout, then play a QP) or you could perfect time travel and know the numbers, it would still involve being in the right place at the right time.

With PB and MM, considering approx. 104 drawings a year and 12 to 15 jp winners (each) it's definitely a 'born under the right star' affair and that's all there is to it.

Whether someopne plays quick picks, birthdays, sports scores or whatever it's always the Luck Factor that overides everything else.

Lep       Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.