Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What are the chances that a person be at the right place at the right time to win a jackpot?

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 3 years ago by psykomo.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
Florida
United States
Member #61435
May 22, 2008
907 Posts
Posted: June 18, 2013, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

LOL.....just like the Game Show Jeopardy......

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
    LAS VEGAS
    United States
    Member #47729
    November 22, 2006
    4498 Posts
    Posted: June 18, 2013, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

helpmewin, coin et al

BEWARE: The Heisenberg Effect
    Werner Heisenbergwas a German theoretical physicist was a quantim forerunner saying that an evnt did Nothing not exist unless witnessed & when observed the event becomes changed Wink
    Cathch the Changes
    EddessaKnight
      veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
      Member #142777
      May 18, 2013
      263 Posts
      Posted: June 18, 2013, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

This morning I was hearing on the radio about the raffle my state lottery is doing in July. I haven't played that because only one person will win and you only win 50 percent of the raffle prize. A few years ago around Christmas we  had a good raffle but not anymore. The reason I mentioned this is because it got me thinking of how truly hard it is to be at the right place at the right time to win a jackpot.  One of the reasons I've been playing less these many months (other than being able to save money) is due to the fact that it truly seems to be impossible to be able to be at the right time and place to win a jackpot.  When it comes to scratchers there are so many retailers in each state selling these tickets and when you look at a 5 dollar scratch ticket that prints out 25 million tickets and only 6 people will win 1 million dollars it seems almost unatainable to win a jackpot. You could be in a store and the person in front or behind you could get the winning ticket there is no way to know. On draw games sometimes it can seem like a milisecond when someone somewhere in the US might win and with odds of 1 out of 175 million that just seems so hard. When I play MM and PB I always play in hopes of just being able to win a lower tiered prize (most I ever won was 20 dollars).  Lastly with Mass Cash in my state the odds are supposed to be better getting 5 numbers out of a total of 35 numbers and odds are something like 1 to 325,000 to win top prize of 100K. I have only once gotten 3 numbers and won 10 dollars and that's it.  It seems like one could play for the rest of their lives and never win a decent amount in the lottery. I know it's my choice to play but it would be nice if the odds were not so stacked against us. For instance why can't the lottery be more fairer to their players and give out more prizes to more people?  Do others think as I do about this?

Hey "cool breeze" you do realize that a lottery is not an atm for when you need money.  Most have to lose so a few can win. geez ROFL

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
        NY
        United States
        Member #121961
        January 21, 2012
        3157 Posts
        Posted: June 19, 2013, 1:14 am - IP Logged

Right place, right time could also mean getting run over by a Ice Cream truck right after you bought your tickets. I like to see winning as good Karma.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7310 Posts
          Posted: June 19, 2013, 1:45 am - IP Logged

Total sales for that run from 4/3/13 to 5/18/13 were $1,237,330,368. Give 18% for 2nd-thru-9th prizes, and Gloria got the remaining $371M.(minus reserve)

Takes millions of losers to make one (after tax) 1/4 billionaire. No way around it if we're gonna have enormous jackpots.

WOW!

Over 600 million tickets were sold during that run and only one jackpot winner.

Maybe one of our mathematical lecturers can explain what happened to the 175 million to 1 odds.

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: June 19, 2013, 2:44 am - IP Logged

The odds when you flip a coin are 1 in 2 for heads and 1 in 2 for tails. If you flip a coin once, do you expect to get half of a heads and half of a tails?

Odds are the chances of a particular outcome happening. The actual result can be any of the possible outcomes.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
              Member #142499
              May 13, 2013
              1183 Posts
              Posted: June 19, 2013, 9:35 am - IP Logged

Hey "cool breeze" you do realize that a lottery is not an atm for when you need money.  Most have to lose so a few can win. geez ROFL

I Agree! I'm not sure everyone understands the concept of gambling. It's not supposed to be a sure thing.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
                Whiskey Island
                United States
                Member #90216
                April 24, 2010
                12740 Posts
                Posted: June 19, 2013, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

It's not a matter of being at the right place and time . It's a matter of buying the ticket that matches the Winning Numbers !!!

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                  Beautiful Florida
                  United States
                  Member #5709
                  July 18, 2004
                  20115 Posts
                  Posted: June 19, 2013, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Slim to none...!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: June 19, 2013, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

WOW!

Over 600 million tickets were sold during that run and only one jackpot winner.

Maybe one of our mathematical lecturers can explain what happened to the 175 million to 1 odds.

They ain't talkin, they been scattered to the wind.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: June 19, 2013, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

The odds when you flip a coin are 1 in 2 for heads and 1 in 2 for tails. If you flip a coin once, do you expect to get half of a heads and half of a tails?

Odds are the chances of a particular outcome happening. The actual result can be any of the possible outcomes.

Once in a while the coin lands on its side without falling over, so YES I except half a head and half a tail.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                        United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3854 Posts
                        Posted: June 19, 2013, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Once in a while the coin lands on its side without falling over, so YES I except half a head and half a tail.

When that happens you can hear people's thoughts,

at least according to Rod Serling you can.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
                          LAS VEGAS
                          United States
                          Member #47729
                          November 22, 2006
                          4498 Posts
                          Posted: June 21, 2013, 12:47 am - IP Logged

When that happens you can hear people's thoughts,

at least according to Rod Serling you can.

Good recall haymaker

Truth is always more interesting that your preconception of what it might be....

Fortuna

EddessaKnight

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                            adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            3300 Posts
                            Posted: June 21, 2013, 7:45 am - IP Logged

for the people that win the chance  is/was %100

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5120 Posts
                              Posted: June 21, 2013, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

Glooorrrrrria, it's not Marieeeee. Glooorrrrrria, it's not Sherrrrrrrieeeee. Gloria for she's not in Love with meeeeeee.... Oh Noo Noo Ooooohhhh....

MD:

Glooorrrrrria, "Oh what a GULL" ScaredSad CheersScared

4 she'$$$$$$$$$ not in luv w/PSYKO

ThudDrumThud