Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Wow! Just Wow! Those elusive numbers

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: July 4, 2013, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

It is all about the odds... what's crazy it that 2,3,4,5,19 have the same odds as any other number combination to hit again tonight. 

I struggle to wrap my mind around that probability.

Has anyone ever played the exact same winning numbers from the previous drawing the night/day before for the next upcoming drawing?

Does anybody know if that's ever happened for larger number sets (pick 5, 6, MM and PB)?  I would imagine that it's more likely with Pick 3 and 4..

Yes, the odds of 2,3,4,5,19 being drawn tonight are the same as any other combination, 1 in 575,757.

But the odds of a sequential repeat depends on your gambling perspective. Let's say that an arbitrary pick 5 game has odds of around 1 in a million. If you choose one combo or the current combo, what are the odds that it will repeat on the next draw? About 1 in a trillion! But if you keep doing this over and over again on every draw, then the odds of hitting seeing a repeat come back down to 1 in million.

You can see this on pick 3 more easily. You will see a sequential repeat about once every 1000 draws. But if you select only one number or only one draw, the odds of a sequential repeat of that number you selected will be about 1 in a million.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: July 4, 2013, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

It is all about the odds... what's crazy it that 2,3,4,5,19 have the same odds as any other number combination to hit again tonight. 

I struggle to wrap my mind around that probability.

Has anyone ever played the exact same winning numbers from the previous drawing the night/day before for the next upcoming drawing?

Does anybody know if that's ever happened for larger number sets (pick 5, 6, MM and PB)?  I would imagine that it's more likely with Pick 3 and 4..

"Has anyone ever played the exact same winning numbers from the previous drawing the night/day before for the next upcoming drawing?"

Yes, it has happened and people have won doing it.

It happened in the Bulgarian Lottery on a 6 number Lotto game.

Nobody won the first time the numbers played but when the same exact numbers fell in the very next drawing, 18 people won.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/201315

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke