Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 2:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

More Power to the Ball

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rcbbuckeye.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Cupcake10's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
Member #91718
May 23, 2010
690 Posts
Posted: August 1, 2013, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

I was just wondering what happens if no one plays Powerball on Saturday? The game happens only because we play it, correct. I would like one million. Why not give more people a chance to win at least one million at a dollar. We can control the game by not playing another penny in Powerball until the game is set up our way. I think $2 is much to much to play and not win a penny. I don't play Powerball because of the higher odds against you.Bash

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #74096
    May 2, 2009
    23233 Posts
    Posted: August 1, 2013, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

I think some people would play if it went to $3 per line plus another $2 for Power Play.
    The lure of being filthy rich is just too great for a lot of people. A revolt won't happen anytime soon.
    The rich would like to be richer. The average don't want to be average and the poor want to be anything
    but poor.
    I'd like to win a million too but the people in charge know they don't make money unless the jp
    is way too much for one winner to spend.
    The only way to get everyone to stop playing is to stop the game.

010 122 963 824 684 584 0000 6837 4061 1207 2319 4901 1009 1347 1537

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4145 Posts
      Posted: August 2, 2013, 2:48 am - IP Logged

I was just wondering what happens if no one plays Powerball on Saturday? The game happens only because we play it, correct. I would like one million. Why not give more people a chance to win at least one million at a dollar. We can control the game by not playing another penny in Powerball until the game is set up our way. I think $2 is much to much to play and not win a penny. I don't play Powerball because of the higher odds against you.Bash

People will play regardless of the odds because every player envisions themselves as a millionaire in waiting. Wait until the Mega Millions jackpot changes its format .

Upcoming changes to Mega Millions jackpots, prizes, and odds

The Mega Millions miltistate lottery has announced  big changes to it’s jackpots, prizes, and odds which is going to come into effect on October 22nd 2013.

This change will see Mega Millions jackpot starting at $15 million instead of it’s current $12 million starting jackpot. The jackpot will also grow by at least $5 million everytime it fails to find a winner.

Non-jackpot prizes will be multiplied by a factor of five instead of the current multiplier of four if the winner purchased a Megaplier.

So, will the ticket price for Mega Millions increase?

No, ticket price will remain $1 for Mega Millions but to compensate the extra fund needed for the jackpot the odds of winning the jackpot will change from the current 1 in 175,711,536 to 1 in 258,890,850. Considering the double ticket price of the Powerball lottery ticket, this odd of winning the jackpot of Mega Millions lottery will still be better then the Powerball lottery odds. (They say).

From October 22nd 2013 Mega Millions players will choose their first five numbers from a pool of 75 instead of the current 56, then one further number – the Mega number – from a further choice of 1 – 15.

United States
        Member #130815
        July 25, 2012
        1636 Posts
        Posted: August 2, 2013, 7:05 am - IP Logged

Nope....people will play the lottery regardless...I mean think about it, you could win MILLIONS of dollars for just you little dollar or two or three LOL, you gotta try....I think the only people who don't play are the chronic "glass half empty" folks

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5756 Posts
          Posted: August 2, 2013, 8:59 am - IP Logged

Look at what's happening with MM right now. Hardly anybody is playing it because PB is so high. People vote with their money, and even though PB is $2, that game is getting all the action because of the jackpot, and the high jackpot is because of the $2 price point.

When MM changes its format, then you will see high jackpots more often, and more people will play that game.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
            Member #145267
            August 1, 2013
            1713 Posts
            Posted: August 2, 2013, 10:04 am - IP Logged

I agree with there should be more jackpot winners on all big lotto games. this would help the economy and pull regular people up to a better place in their lives.  But, I do not think people will not play in order to make a change.

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: August 2, 2013, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Look at what's happening with MM right now. Hardly anybody is playing it because PB is so high. People vote with their money, and even though PB is $2, that game is getting all the action because of the jackpot, and the high jackpot is because of the $2 price point.

When MM changes its format, then you will see high jackpots more often, and more people will play that game.

You contradicted yourself...........  the high jackpot is because of the $2 price point.     

................ When MM changes its format, then you will see high jackpots more often

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                Texas
                United States
                Member #55889
                October 23, 2007
                5756 Posts
                Posted: August 2, 2013, 10:36 am - IP Logged

You contradicted yourself...........  the high jackpot is because of the $2 price point.     

................ When MM changes its format, then you will see high jackpots more often

I guess I didn't type that very well. I mean when MM changes, then MM jackpots will grow higher. It kinda goes hand in hand. The higher the jackpot, the more people play, the more people play, the jackpot grows higher and faster.

As far as having more million dollar winners, there are already lotto games in most states that offer smaller jackpots nad lower odds. Why on earth would PB and MM do the same thing? If someone wants to shoot for $1 million, play the multipliers on MM and PB (powerplay for $2 million).

Bottom line, I think the folks that run the big games have a pretty good idea of what they're doing.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: August 2, 2013, 10:44 am - IP Logged

I guess I didn't type that very well. I mean when MM changes, then MM jackpots will grow higher. It kinda goes hand in hand. The higher the jackpot, the more people play, the more people play, the jackpot grows higher and faster.

As far as having more million dollar winners, there are already lotto games in most states that offer smaller jackpots nad lower odds. Why on earth would PB and MM do the same thing? If someone wants to shoot for $1 million, play the multipliers on MM and PB (powerplay for $2 million).

Bottom line, I think the folks that run the big games have a pretty good idea of what they're doing.

I see your point, but with the $1 ticket price I'm predicting that the jackpot will still grow excruciatingly SLOW compared to how Power ball jumps up there in a few short week. Once people KNOW no one is going to win til its gets REAL HIGH it will slow sales even more and it may take a year (or two) for the jackpot to grow high enough to spark interest. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: August 2, 2013, 10:48 am - IP Logged

I think $2. is WAY TOO LOW a price for a chance at $200+ million. People buy $20. scratches for a chance at a $million all day long. In AZ the $20 scratch only offered a $250k prize for many many years.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: August 2, 2013, 10:50 am - IP Logged

IMA Ball-er....................

More Power to the Ball

1 member gave this topic a rating of 5 out of 5

MemberRating
                      Ronnie3165 stars

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: August 2, 2013, 11:03 am - IP Logged

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: August 2, 2013, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Nope....people will play the lottery regardless...I mean think about it, you could win MILLIONS of dollars for just you little dollar or two or three LOL, you gotta try....I think the only people who don't play are the chronic "glass half empty" folks

Thumbs Down People will quit playing when the odds are too long.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                            Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4145 Posts
                            Posted: August 2, 2013, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

Thumbs Down People will quit playing when the odds are too long.

Perhaps Ronnie- but the folk running MM who intend to compete with PB had better start MM off with at least $30 mil instead of $15.While PB may increase in leaps & bounds they could possibly hang onto people who see the value of not abandoning the MM ship.

United States
                              Member #106134
                              February 13, 2011
                              806 Posts
                              Posted: August 2, 2013, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

There's. no such thing if you play in New Jersey.  I swear that state could win several jackpots a year on a 5 + 1 game that has 999,999 white balls, and 999,999 bonus balls.