Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

More Power to the Ball

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rcbbuckeye.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1186 Posts
Posted: August 2, 2013, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

I was just wondering what happens if no one plays Powerball on Saturday? The game happens only because we play it, correct. I would like one million. Why not give more people a chance to win at least one million at a dollar. We can control the game by not playing another penny in Powerball until the game is set up our way. I think $2 is much to much to play and not win a penny. I don't play Powerball because of the higher odds against you.Bash

Sorry, but flat out no. While I would be happy winning just $10 (as long as I end up getting back more than I spend on tickets, I'd be happy) but if I didn't want to win more than $1M, I wouldn't be playing the PB. 

After taxes, that $1M becomes $600,000. I don't know about you, but by the time I pay off Sallie Mae and all my bills, help out a few friends/relatives, and buy a house, there wouldn't be enough left to live on. 

Maybe if I were older it would be fine. But I'm in my thirties. If I go by my genes, I still have ~50 years or so to go. even if I didn't give away or spend a penny of that $600K, I could only allot myself $12,000 per year to live on so I'd be a lottery winner forced to keep working. 

So, no way would I join your boycott or revolt. I say if you don't want to risk winning a lot of money, don't play the PB, there are so many other games that are cheaper and the payout much less.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3856 Posts
    Posted: August 2, 2013, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

There's. no such thing if you play in New Jersey.  I swear that state could win several jackpots a year on a 5 + 1 game that has 999,999 white balls, and 999,999 bonus balls.

You make it sound like everyone in the state is in the same office pool,

JP divided by 8 million people = chump change !

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
      Member #142499
      May 13, 2013
      1186 Posts
      Posted: August 2, 2013, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

I agree with there should be more jackpot winners on all big lotto games. this would help the economy and pull regular people up to a better place in their lives.  But, I do not think people will not play in order to make a change.

This makes no sense. You think the economy improves less with a single person spending millions of dollars instead of multiple people spending $1 million? To the contrary. Those that win smaller amounts are more careful with their money because they know they don't have a lot to work with and they have to make it last. It's the people who win the large jackpots who do a lot of crazy spending. Getting people to buy things from businesses is what helps the economy. Larger winners buy more things. 

But in any case, none of that even matters. MM and PB are the only lottery games we have with the ability to win an insane amount of money on a regular basis. State lotteries and scratch off games are available in much larger numbers, the tickets are cheap, the payouts much less, and the odds of winning greater. Why would you go after 2 games when there are so many othr games with format and restrictions you want already in place? Denouncing a game because you don't want any one person to come into too much money is seriously selfish.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5611 Posts
        Posted: August 2, 2013, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

This makes no sense. You think the economy improves less with a single person spending millions of dollars instead of multiple people spending $1 million? To the contrary. Those that win smaller amounts are more careful with their money because they know they don't have a lot to work with and they have to make it last. It's the people who win the large jackpots who do a lot of crazy spending. Getting people to buy things from businesses is what helps the economy. Larger winners buy more things. 

But in any case, none of that even matters. MM and PB are the only lottery games we have with the ability to win an insane amount of money on a regular basis. State lotteries and scratch off games are available in much larger numbers, the tickets are cheap, the payouts much less, and the odds of winning greater. Why would you go after 2 games when there are so many othr games with format and restrictions you want already in place? Denouncing a game because you don't want any one person to come into too much money is seriously selfish.

Well said.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)